• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Well, you said "today" for the US, which implies you're farther east, and that there was a Treehouse stream scheduled for Friday.
Forgot we were saturday.
It was on the treehouse of thursday. And for me, Thursday was one day and a half ago.
I'm gonna sleep now, my brain hurts.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I have read about the Mii replacing the random button somewhere else, so I don't think Yoshi-Thomas is making this up. I am yet to see a picture if it, though.

It is an interesting way to add Miis to the roster, without ""wasting"" one precious ""slot"" or whatever.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
So I went and did some math. By dividing the final roster in Brawl by the amount of characters playable in the E for All Brawl demo, and then multiplying the resulting amount by the characters playable in the Smash 4 demo, I ended up with a result of 52-53. Then I divided the final roster in Brawl (counting the Pokemon Trainer as a single character) by the amount of revealed before release characters, and multiplied that by the amount of revealed characters in Smash 4 (counting Mii as a single character) + 2 more (assuming one more veteran and newcomer reveal before release, which I think is what we're going to get), which resulted in about 52. This 52 number is also inline with the expansion amount of the previous games (and assuming all unrevealed + third parties are unlockables, it fits in with the previous Smash games' approximate starter-unlockable ratio).

So if Sal's leak is completely true, assuming Squirtle/Ivysaur/Lucas/Snake are cut while every other Brawl character returns, and this pattern holds true, we're at 47, with approximate room for five more unknown newcomers.

Someone in the K. Rool thread also brought up a good observation, of how outside the third parties, all the newcomers so far and those implicated in Sal's leak, are characters from recent games and/or revived franchises, making it appear that the newcomers being revealed before release are for marketing/promotion of other series, while the more fan popular newcomers who have nothing to promote are being saved as secrets until release (such as Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, Mewtwo, etc.). It also ties into the theory that Sal's leaker is/was a guy involved in marketing, who would sensibly have access to the newcomers they plan to reveal and promote, while not having access to the more secret newcomers.

Speaking of K. Rool, I also noticed that there seems to be a lot of overlap between Ridley and K. Rool supporters.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Someone in the K. Rool thread also brought up a good observation, of how outside the third parties, all the newcomers so far and those implicated in Sal's leak, are characters from recent games and/or revived franchises, making it appear that the newcomers being revealed before release are for marketing/promotion of other series, while the more fan popular newcomers who have nothing to promote are being saved as secrets until release (such as Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, Mewtwo, etc.). It also ties into the theory that Sal's leaker is/was a guy involved in marketing, who would sensibly have access to the newcomers they plan to reveal and promote, while not having access to the more secret newcomers.
This actually makes sense, new series reps would help draw in new players, whereas players who want something from an existink franchise would probably buy the game anyway for already having other characters that they're familiar with. I'd say it's pretty likely that this is what's happening.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Though there's a question: For Smash Run Space Pirates, do you prefer Zebesians, or Prime?
Prime 2 is the best design imo. Prime 1 didn't look like Space Pirates honestly, neither did Prime 3's design, the Prime 2 design is the most faithful 3D model they could go with.

Oh, and I really hope Miis don't take up the Random slot, that sounds bizarre. Somehow I also doubt Random is not going to be on the final roster, Sakurai did recommend it for Smash Run afterall, would be pretty stupid if it just disappeared.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yo peeps

Imma be at best buy today

playin smash 4

gonna see if inputting the contra code at the character select menu unlocks ridley

or pyrosphere

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
This is my Reaction when Ridley gets deconfirmed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ga6IljanvU
>when

Hahahahaha.

I'm kinda pessimistic too, but trying to lighten to mood here.

Yo peeps

Imma be at best buy today

playin smash 4

gonna see if inputting the contra code at the character select menu unlocks ridley

or pyrosphere
But Komani didn't help develop SSB4 like Namco did. The most that could happen is Snake being unlocked.
Which I'd be perfectly fine with, but still.

----

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
>when

Hahahahaha.

I'm kinda pessimistic too, but trying to lighten to mood here.

But Komani didn't help with Smash Bros. The most that could happen is Snake being unlocked.
Which I'd be fine with, but still.

----
I'll put in the brinstar code then

the code is justin bailey

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
After a ton of shadow analyses, I have sadly determined that, no, that's not possible.

We're either getting playable Ridley or Boss Ridley. No middle ground. (I kinda wish there was, though)
Out of curiosity how would analyzing the shadow disprove the ability to replace boss Ridley with another Ridley when he playable Ridley is in use.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well thanks to the super smash bros invitantional.

When megaman used his final smash.

I think we have a perfect reaction from the west if ridley is playable.

I mean look at this.

(Its not me taping it by the way.)

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Well thanks to the super smash bros invitantional.

When megaman used his final smash.

I mean look at this.

(Its not me taping it by the way.)
FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD. RIDLEY!!!

My mother gave me the weirdest look when she walked in on that moment, then I tell her she's a complete hypocrite because that's exactly how she is during the World Cup.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I literally spent over an hour reading through half a dozen pages.

With that in mind, I figured out the problem with this thread. It isn't too big, it moves too fast!

Hong

The Strongest
What if I told you that this has already happened?

Skip to 0:43, if you must.

Back in e3 2001, a lot of the audience thought that Ridley was shown because he would be playable. In a sense, Ridley fans have been trolled for over a decade. There has to be some kind of award for that, right? :)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
What if I told you that this has already happened?

Skip to 0:43, if you must.

Back in e3 2001, a lot of the audience thought that Ridley was shown because he would be playable. In a sense, Ridley fans have been trolled for over a decade. There has to be some kind of award for that, right? :)
I love re-watching this video just to hear again the audience reactions to both Ridley and Sheik. A shame only Sheik got to be playable. :laugh:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I literally spent over an hour reading through half a dozen pages.

With that in mind, I figured out the problem with this thread. It isn't too big, it moves too fast!
It doesn't normally. But then the direct happened, and then E3 added a hundres pages in a week. I don't even get it, it feels like there's less beink discussed than before, but somehow the pages just keep stackink up.

Hong

The Strongest
*EVERYONE* in the intro ended up playable just about, except for Ridley. :troll: I mean look at Wolf.
Somewhere, a Samurai Goroh fan is shaking their fist at the sight of his Assist Trophy.

Edit -
^

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Out of curiosity how would analyzing the shadow disprove the ability to replace boss Ridley with another Ridley when he playable Ridley is in use.
It's one thing to just hang out in the background. It's a whole new can of worms to make a playable-sized Ridley gain new, bosslike characteristics.

At least Toon Link puts on a different costume. Ridley has no such excuse, unless they actually DO follow up on that Clone BS.

Primarily, its his size that makes me doubt such a scenario.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You mean Samurai Goroh WASN'T playable, and THAT'S why nobody plays as him? :troll: (I had to)

But yeh, Ridley's size in and of itself makes a lot of things questionable here.

Hong

The Strongest
But yeh, Ridley's size in and of itself makes a lot of things questionable here.
The filming crew for the intro was like "Where's Ridley!? We can't wait any longer... just get a relative or something!", and meanwhile Ridley was too big to get into the studio so they just settled for his pint-sized cousin, Radley.:troll:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
lol I remember when people were saying how Ridley's attacks would clip though Battlefield.

Palutena's attack takes up half of Battlefield.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
The filming crew for the intro was like "Where's Ridley!? We can't wait any longer... just get a relative or something!", and meanwhile Ridley was too big to get into the studio so they just settled for his pint-sized cousin, Radley.:troll:
People are sitting here being mad at Sakurai picking Ridley's clone Roidley, when Sakurai's ACTUALLY picking Roidley's pint-sized cousin Radley. This isn't what the people want from a boss. Nobody asked for this.

EDIT: You don't understand! It's not RIDLEY, so it's OKAY that Palutena's attacks can take up entire stages! Ridley is THE EXCEPTION, remember? He's not allowed to do anything any characters can do, including be different from other characters.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
*EVERYONE* in the intro ended up playable just about, except for Ridley. :troll: I mean look at Wolf.
I don't remember the Runaway Five ever being playable characters. Or Samurai Goroh for that matter.:denzel:

But seriously, some people think the audience wasn't cheering for Ridley, but rather Samus. Nothing against Samus, but Ridley was a popular darkhorse character back in 2001, and he was always the most popular request for a Metroid newcomer. I find it hard to believe that they all went bonkers for a veteran they already knew was in!

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't remember the Runaway Five ever being playable characters. Or Samurai Goroh for that matter.:denzel:

But seriously, some people think the audience wasn't cheering for Ridley, but rather Samus. Nothing against Samus, but Ridley was a popular darkhorse character back in 2001, and he was always the most popular request for a Metroid newcomer. I find it hard to believe that they all went bonkers for a veteran they already knew was in!
Yeh really. Samus had been in Super Smash Bros. only two years prior. If Smash Bros. came out every other year, I wouldn't be cheering that a returning character from such a major character showed up.

EDIT: HOLY COW SO HYPE!! O:!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DIDN'T CUT MARIO OR LINK THIS TIEM

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
For no reason, I remade my Ridley roster. It now comes in two flavors. The "I still believe in Gematsu" version, and "Gematsu is a crock of something I don't want on my shoes" version.

Still pretty convinced Ridley is happening. Even after being sleep deprived after last night. He even gets a corner space across from Mario WHERE HE BELONGS. (I'm joking.)

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I've had another realization as to why the hype 3 (Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo) are as such. There's already the villain side of things which have been discussed, but there is another factor.

None of them are humans. If you look at any given roster (such as Majora's examples above), the overriding majority of selections are human/humanoid entities. The hype 3 however contains a king croc, a weird psychic alien-like creature, and a freaking Space Pirate dragon. Sure there's half a dozen sword wielders, some magic users, and a couple straight up oddballs, but there's barely any awesome monstrous characters (that are villains to boot) to go around. That's where the hype 3 come in to fill that void.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I've had another realization as to why the hype 3 (Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo) are as such. There's already the villain side of things which have been discussed, but there is another factor.

None of them are humans. If you look at any given roster (such as Majora's examples above), the overriding majority of selections are human/humanoid entities. The hype 3 however contains a king croc, a weird psychic alien-like creature, and a freaking Space Pirate dragon. Sure there's half a dozen sword wielders, some magic users, and a couple straight up oddballs, but there's barely any awesome monstrous characters (that are villains to boot) to go around. That's where the hype 3 come in to fill that void.
Well, we do have Greninja. He's not enough to fill the void, but it's something, right?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo all don't make it into the roster, then I'll have to pretend that Greninja is an evil yokai. Which helps because of his dark-type.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Honestly, between Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Medusa I'd be amazed at this point if *HALF* of them don't make it in, let alone most or all of them not making it. They all have some level of implication pushing them varying amounts toward playability, Ridley sitting at the front of that (to me anyway) because of all of the teasing. The problem is though, they'd most likely all be unlockable characters we won't hear about until the game comes out in a few months.

Top Bottom