• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Morbi

Scavenger
No, he never said that, people keep putting words into his mouth. :p He said they were approaching the limit they could feasibly handle, but never stated precisely what that meant. It didn't say anything about it being limited about to how many were in Brawl, which is especially notable because most of the characters have barely changed between Brawl and this one (which is how they're able to add so many new characters per game).
"In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible."
-Sakurai

Apologies; I was clearly misconstruing this sentiment. Sorry for putting words into Sakurai-san's mouth. It was wrong of me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
"In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible."
-Sakurai

Apologies; I was clearly misconstruing this sentiment. Sorry for putting words into Sakurai-san's mouth. It was wrong of me. :rolleyes:
The only alternate possibility is that he was referring to the planned roster of the new game, instead of Brawl.

Morbi

Scavenger
Plus I seriously don't think Sakurai would say 39 is the limit, announce 33 characters months before the game's release, and then still mean it.

But that aside. As I made my own roster, IMO people are a bit pessimistic about what we're getting. Even if Gematsu is legitimate, I think Sakurai is hiding some good things for us in the rest of the roster. Ridley definitely included.
Just to clarify (if it was not readily apparent); I am not asserting that he believes 39 is the limit or that it is objectively the limit. I am merely stating that I would not be surprised to see less than Melee in that event.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
-Sakurai

Well, to be fair, he has contradicted himself before. Plus, there's no way it's even possible to have solely 39 characters again; unless, of course, Sakurai simply does not care about what he's doing anymore.

majora_787

Smash Hero
-Sakurai

The issue with this applying to Brawl's roster is, by the time the game comes out we'll have had what. 36 characters revealed? And Sakurai has... three characters left to surprise anyone past that? I don't really think that's what's going on. Or at least if it were, we wouldn't have seen 33 characters by now.

EDIT: Rezbits make me so sad please don'-- Ah hell sure just throw them in Smash Run.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, to be fair, he has contradicted himself before. Plus, there's no way it's even possible to have solely 39 characters again; unless, of course, Sakurai simply does not care about what he's doing anymore.
Of course; I do not like being accused of "putting words into someone's mouth" that sounds disgusting first of all. However, that entails that I have done something fallacious, as clearly demonstrated, I have not. It is not as though I am treating his words as fact, I am just using that as a basis for my presumption.

The only alternate possibility is that he was referring to the planned roster of the new game, instead of Brawl.
I am not sure that context supports that notion; but I suppose it is possible.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Just to clarify (if it was not readily apparent); I am not asserting that he believes 39 is the limit or that it is objectively the limit. I am merely stating that I would not be surprised to see less than Melee in that event.
When did he last say that? Time can always change a person's mind.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Unless he just gets fed up with the game is my reasoning as to way Sakurai would only put 39 characters in the game.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I am not entirely sure; most of the articles are from early July, 2012.
Well that would be earlier in development. Not sure if they would have made this schedule of reveals by then. But if Sakurai STILL thought 39 was the feasible limit for the roster at this point I could almost guarantee that RIGHT NOW we would not have been deliberately made aware of 33 characters with at least four more appearing to be very likely to return, and us having three months of character reveal time before the game is out.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Unless he just gets fed up with the game is my reasoning as to way Sakurai would only put 39 characters in the game.
Look at it this way.

We have 33 characters right now.

Add back all unconfirmed veterans (Cpt. Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, Falco, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, Lucas, Wario, R.O.B., Meta Knight, Wolf, Snake) brings it to 46 characters.

Even with all the most anticipated cuts (Lucas, Snake, Wolf, R.O.B.) it doesn't go under 40, and that's not accounting for unconfirmed newcomers.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Look at it this way.

Add back all unconfirmed veterans (Cpt. Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, Falco, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, Lucas, Wario, R.O.B., Meta Knight, Wolf, Snake) brings it to 46 characters.

Even with all the most anticipated cuts (Lucas, Snake, Wolf, R.O.B.) it doesn't go under 40, and that's not accounting for unconfirmed newcomers.
I think we can safely say we've got about 50 or so playable characters at this point, with potentially a few DLC characters of the ones who couldn't be finished in time for release. Easily enough room for Ridley (whom looks more and more like a playable character all the time).

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Look at it this way.

Yep. I was just stating the only reason why Sakurai would stop at 39, since someone mentioned it.

Out of the newcomers though, I only believe we will be getting around 3-5 more in the whole game.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yep. I was just stating the only reason why Sakurai would stop at 39, since someone mentioned it.

Out of the newcomers though, I only believe we will be getting around 3-5 more in the whole game.
Five more newcomers eh? I know who they are:

1. Ghirahim
2. Ghirahim in Sword Form
3. Ghirahim with two swords
4. Ghirahim from the Minish Cap
5. Ridley

edit: In all seriousness, though, I agree, there's definitely room for Ridley.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I would like to see the full context in which Sakurai made that statement, people oftentimes take stuff he says way out of context and misconstrue them to mean something entirely different (such as when he stated there's a lesser focus on newcomers, and that 3DS limitations might lead to a few cuts, so many people took it to mean that Smash 4's roster was going to be no bigger than Brawl's or even smaller, and started claiming that everywhere, even after we had 30 characters revealed).

Without context, it would seem to me he was talking about how 39 was the limit of Brawl's roster, which it certainly was (what with nearly half the cast being newcomers with minimal cloning, and half or more of the development being spent on the massive SSE).

Morbi

Scavenger
I would like to see the full context in which Sakurai made that statement, people oftentimes take stuff he says way out of context and misconstrue them to mean something entirely different (such as when he stated there's a lesser focus on newcomers, and that 3DS limitations might lead to a few cuts, so many people took it to mean that Smash 4's roster was going to be no bigger than Brawl's or even smaller, and started claiming that everywhere, even after we had 30 characters revealed).

Without context, it would seem to me he was talking about how 39 was the limit of Brawl's roster, which it certainly was (what with nearly half the cast being newcomers with minimal cloning, and half or more of the development being spent on the massive SSE).
“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-change-of-direction-may-be-needed-for-next-smash-bros/

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-change-of-direction-may-be-needed-for-next-smash-bros/
Yeah, this looks like this occurred right when Smash 4 started development, and he was talking about it from his Brawl experience. I wouldn't take this to mean that we're definitely getting a sub-50 roster.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Yeah, this looks like this occurred right when Smash 4 started development, and he was talking about it from his Brawl experience. I wouldn't take this to mean that we're definitely getting a sub-50 roster.
Honestly he probably went to his Namco team all grounded and **** with 45 character rosters after planning through what cuts would hurt us the least to fit in the 8 newcomers.

Then the team was like "*****, we'd already gotten some of the fighters in playable form before you got here and all they need is visuals and lots of elbow grease. You just come up with the best roster and we'll do it."

one can only dream.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Neither would I; and nor have I ever (I have always speculated in favor of 48-52), it is just a tool that illuminates the notion that the roster is going to be fairly reasonable. I would not get too excited at the sentiment that we may have a lot more newcomers after the Gematsu leak. I do; however, expect Ridley and perhaps another.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Honestly he probably went to his Namco team all grounded and **** with 45 character rosters after planning through what cuts would hurt us the least to fit in the 8 newcomers.

Then the team was like "*****, we'd already gotten some of the fighters in playable form before you got here and all they need is visuals and lots of elbow grease. You just come up with the best roster and we'll do it."

one can only dream.
That too, he has Bamco this time doing the heavy lifting, so with that, no SSE equivalent draining much of the development, and a larger ratio of veterans, Smash 4 can definitely support a much larger yet unique and decently balanced roster.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Is there really an anti-Ridley community? I mean there was that guy who came here and got banned... and I guess much of Gamefaqs, but they don't really count since... well gamefaqs.

I think most people who don't support him are indifferent. Anyone who is actually makes "too big" arguments is probably doing it ironically.
http://smashboards.com/threads/unpopular-smash-4-opinions-share-them-here.342955/
http://smashboards.com/threads/unpopular-smash-4-opinions-v2-0-read-the-op-before-posting.358318/

He comes up so frequently in the threads as "overrated" or under the lines of "I don't see how they'd ever make/why people would want him playable." etc..

Which prompted this response:

This thread makes me think that liking K. Rool, Mewtwo and Ridley is the unpopular opinion.
On a related note, I love the direction this thread has taken recently. My views never really changed, but it's nice to get a break from the pessimism every now and then. Plus it does a heart good to see so many fresh new faces that are still supporters.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm already over the anguish of not seeing my most wanted newcomers get in. I realize that Sakurai's intent this whole time was to give proper representation to newer, upcoming franchises that either have a promising future ahead of them (Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, Rhythm Heaven), or have experienced a recent revival (Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Punch-Out).

Which unfortunately means that Ridley and K. Rool could get shut out of this game. But hey, maybe next Smash will focus more on the villains.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I'm not even that worried about his chances, just annoyed that we can't put this to rest, probably until release.
The more I think about it, the more I am sure he will be revealed before release. Some pointed out the tease around Palutena ; but it's worse for Ridley. We saw him moving, implying his model is done, being either a character or a boss.
And showing him, even as a shadow, is really important ; he is either the third boss ever revealex, or one of the new characters. We saw that G&W being confirmed at the round table didn't allow him to get his page on the website. It could be the same for Ridley...
Even if everything leads to his appearance as a boss. At this point, K Rool has more chances than him (his underlings being shown).
Two points that could actually make me think the contrary ;

-The trophy tease (one for Chrom, one for Impa, one for Palutena, one for Ridley)
-No pyrosphere explanations about the boss since the beginning.

Even if I'm the only one believinv the trophy tease, I believe !

Oh and I also believe the Sal Romano leak.
Leading us to 14 newcomers, add K Rool and Mewtwo (I count him as a newcomer) 16.
Add 39 veterans minus 4 (Snake, Lucasn Squi, Ivy) ; 35.
35 + 16 = 51. And it doesn't look impossible at all. Add one more if Snake manages to survive, 52.
Impossible ? I think not. And main Series (Pokemon, Metroid, Mario, Zelda) all get a newcomer !

But once again, I think he is disconfirmed.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Since when was there supposed to be a Treehouse stream yesterday? E3 ended Thursday, didn't it?
We don't live in the same timezone.
For me thursday was yesterday. Now you can say two days ago.
Also, you can't use Miis online, and are restricted to certains modes.

Top Bottom