• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I was so hype during the digital event when they made the villains comment and showed Wario and Ganondorf, and the Bowser bit, and Pittoo... I was like "the villains are coming! THE VILLAINS ARE COMING!!" And then I watched nearly every moment of the rest of E3 like the ******* child of Paul Revere and The Boy Who Cried Wolf...

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Maybe the digital event served to confirm Wario and Ganondorf. With G&W that makes 3 veterans revealed.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I was so hype during the digital event when they made the villains comment and showed Wario and Ganondorf, and the Bowser bit, and Pittoo... I was like "the villains are coming! THE VILLAINS ARE COMING!!" And then I watched nearly every moment of the rest of E3 like the ******* child of Paul Revere and The Boy Who Cried Wolf...
they showed Wario and Ganondorf? didn't watched the digital event from the beginning

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This is being discussed in the Robin thread. http://imgur.com/a/iW7qq#S8YqhIU

And I'll just leave this here.

Apparently he's just barely above Sceptile.
Which is why I don't use RTC as a reliable source. Remember that Rosalina had a 12% chance of getting in according to them.

EDIT: My mistake. It didn't come from them. Still, Dixie has a 21% chance of making it in? That's ridiculous. K. Rool supporters are awfully pessimistic, and why did Isaac rate higher than all three of them?

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
As a general rule it's safe to discard Gamefaq's public opinions on things when talking about probability. I'm just saying.

EDIT: To elaborate fully, there's so much trolling going on that really, if you polled their Smash Bros. community I wouldn't place any value on it because a very solid chunk of the votes are more than likely people trolling. It's a mess of people being stupid over there. At least poll other websites OTHER than Gamefaqs, and implement their results in later on.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I've had another realization as to why the hype 3 (Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo) are as such. There's already the villain side of things which have been discussed, but there is another factor.

None of them are humans. If you look at any given roster (such as Majora's examples above), the overriding majority of selections are human/humanoid entities. The hype 3 however contains a king croc, a weird psychic alien-like creature, and a freaking Space Pirate dragon. Sure there's half a dozen sword wielders, some magic users, and a couple straight up oddballs, but there's barely any awesome monstrous characters (that are villains to boot) to go around. That's where the hype 3 come in to fill that void.
I mentioned something similar a few days ago, but only about Ridley. I asked if he was revealed before Brawl was released and the answer was no, he was only known to be in Brawl as boss, before the release, because of leaks. Why did I ask that? Because I have the idea in mind that Nintendo might not want to show Ridley before the release because of his design. Yes, we "hardcore" Nintendo/Smash fans know him for ages, but new players don't, little kids don't, a lot of parents don't either. When you look at the roster of the game in the site or in the demo, you see fairly normal characters. Peter Pan with a sword, a red ******, Expand Dong, a pink princess, Mickey's yellow cousin, etc. Sure, Bowser is there, but lets be frank, he doesn't even look that menacing. You don't see a lanky and creepy purple space dragon in the roster. You don't see a weird overweight crocodile with a ****ed up eye in the roster. You don't see psychic alien rumored to be Giygas' kid in the roster either. Perhaps it is because they simply aren't playable in the game, but MAYBE it is because Nintendo is trying to avoid losing any potential buyers of the game by promoting non-kid-friendly characters. Of course, most of us know Ridley, K. Rool and Mewtwo since our childhoods and I can speak only for myself, but they never scared me one bit. Sadly (or not), the times are different nowadays. I might be stretching a lot of possibilities here with this theory, but hey, we do this a lot in this thread.
If Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo all don't make it into the roster, then I'll have to pretend that Greninja is an evil yokai. Which helps because of his dark-type.
It might not be evil, but it is quite clear Greninja is a big jerk. One doesn't simply throw a giant water shuriken at other people's faces.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
[quotid that e="Bravetriforcer, post: 16901134, member: 246193"]So the fact Sakurai basically said all that's really left is debugging throws "Well Ridley wasn't ready enough to record being a boss" out the window.[/quote]
He said that?
When? What?
What did I miss?

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
What if I told you that this has already happened?

Skip to 0:43, if you must.

Back in e3 2001, a lot of the audience thought that Ridley was shown because he would be playable. In a sense, Ridley fans have been trolled for over a decade. There has to be some kind of award for that, right? :)
The trailer actually makes me think, that if Ridley was to be playable that Sakurai would probably use this trailer/intro for the size scale of Ridley, I mean since Melee Ridley has gotten bigger and BIGGER, but his model in the Melee trailer would be a perfect scale, with Ridley being only a few inches taller than Samus, which would be around Bowser's height in the new games now that he stands upright.

This and the original NES Metroid Ridley are the only instances that I can remember where Ridley wasn't that big compared to Samus. And this has probably already been brought up in the thousands of posts in this thread, but I can really see Sakurai using this as an opportunity to have Ridley in.

Now his wideness is another story, especially with his wingspan

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I have read about the Mii replacing the random button somewhere else, so I don't think Yoshi-Thomas is making this up. I am yet to see a picture if it, though.

It is an interesting way to add Miis to the roster, without ""wasting"" one precious ""slot"" or whatever.
BUT RANDOM WAS MY MAIN!!!1

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd love to hear what Ridley's talking voice sounds like but it's most likely not gonna happen

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Now his wideness is another story, especially with his wingspan
In terms of gameplay? Not really, in a 2.5D fighter wideness doesn't matter. Though I could (maybe) see how he might be difficult to model without him maybe clipping into parts of the background, his wings could simply be folded in when he's on the ground. I don't think that's much of an issue in any case.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
So wait, how would everyone feel about a "just hatched" Ridley? (I don't know if he actually hatches, I just subconsciously assume he's like a phoenix). As in, Mecha-Ridley could be a boss on Pyrosphere, but a miniature Ridley would be on the roster. That way a version of him could be small and playable without big bad Ridley as a whole losing the main qualities that make him so intimidating in Metroid games.

Although, in general I think it would be weird to have 2 dragon-like characters who both have wings, fly, use their tails as attacks, spew fire, and are relatively large compared to the rest of the roster. Baby Ridley would have to be much faster and weaker than Charizard to be unique, but I think it could work. I dunno, though, would that be enough to satisfy everyone's Ridley fix or would that make things worse?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
So wait, how would everyone feel about a "just hatched" Ridley? (I don't know if he actually hatches, I just subconsciously assume he's like a phoenix). As in, Mecha-Ridley could be a boss on Pyrosphere, but a miniature Ridley would be on the roster. That way a version of him could be small and playable without big bad Ridley as a whole losing the main qualities that make him so intimidating in Metroid games.

Although, in general I think it would be weird to have 2 dragon-like characters who both have wings, fly, use their tails as attacks, spew fire, and are relatively large compared to the rest of the roster. Baby Ridley would have to be much faster and weaker than Charizard to be unique, but I think it could work. I dunno, though, would that be enough to satisfy everyone's Ridley fix or would that make things worse?
According to Other M, just hatched Ridley would be...
Actually, let's continue pretending that game doesn't exist. That sounds like a decent idea!

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Ew you mean like Little Birdie?
Or an Actual Baby RIdley?
Either way no thank you.

It would be weird to have two dragons, Two Dragons that would do entirely different things?
Because it isn't weird that we already have Two Plumbers? Two/Three Princesses? Two Links? Two Samuses?

Reila

Who would be a good VA for Ridley?
That would depend of how Ridley's personality is supposed to be portrayed in Smash. I think he shouldn't have a "deep" voice, but a "screechy" voice instead. I mean... His screams in Metroid games are obnoxious loud.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Question :

When Brawl released in japan was the US & UK Dojo's updated with all the characters in the game but newcomers under spoilers bar.

If yes how long after did it happen.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Although, in general I think it would be weird to have 2 dragon-like characters who both have wings, fly, use their tails as attacks, spew fire, and are relatively large compared to the rest of the roster.
And yet it's perfectly okay to have three blue-haired swordsmen in the same game? Ridley and Charizard are literally from completely different worlds in both character design and disposition.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
52A571_0D934CAD030EC_001.gif

"...Speaking for Smash? I would rather not..."

Bowser doesn't speak in Smash and everything is fine, so Ridley doesn't have to, besides, if they get a VA for Rids, It could happen the same thing that happened to Meta Knight, that everyone were complaining that he sounded like Darth Vader while they wanted him the have that "spanish accent" he had in the anime...

But that's just me.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
In terms of gameplay? Not really, in a 2.5D fighter wideness doesn't matter. Though I could (maybe) see how he might be difficult to model without him maybe clipping into parts of the background, his wings could simply be folded in when he's on the ground. I don't think that's much of an issue in any case.
Its an easily/fixable issue w/o a doubt, but the reason I brought it up was because his wings didn't in the fight in SSE, even though he wasn't on the ground for too long, so that was logic behind my statement.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I had a dream last night that may somehow answer the wingspan question. It was another Ridley confirmed dream, but what I remember most is a gameplay scene where he is on the FD version of Palutena's stage. It showed him idle before jumping into the air, and his wings were normal on the ground (rather small actually) but then expanded tremendously to about Meta's wingspan when he leaped up.

That's pretty much all I remember, but something to think about regardless.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Question :

When Brawl released in japan was the US & UK Dojo's updated with all the characters in the game but newcomers under spoilers bar.

If yes how long after did it happen.
Ness, February 1st. The website updated with characters until March 31st with Wolf. That's from about a month after the JP release to nearly a month after the US release. Unless Sakurai FILLS September with character reveals, we probably will have the game long before everyone is on the website.

Last edited:

Reila

I think Eric Newsome could be a good VA for Ridley. He voices the hero "Razor" in Dota 2.

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Razor_responses

A few notable lines by Razor

IMO this voice fits a crazy villain like Ridley far more than Smaug's voice (from The Hobbit). Smaug's voice would be more fitting for, I dunno, Kraid lol

Edit: I actually prefer Ridley to not talk in Smash, btw.

Last edited:

Isaiah Stewart

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I've been watching this thread for a while and have seen all the shadow analysis/comparisons, as well as the stage analysis; and I'd like to say that while I have been neutral on the situation, you've swayed me over to the supporter side of the speculation.
Looking at things Ridley definitely deserves a spot in the roster.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I had a dream last night that may somehow answer the wingspan question. It was another Ridley confirmed dream, but what I remember most is a gameplay scene where he is on the FD version of Palutena's stage. It showed him idle before jumping into the air, and his wings were normal on the ground (rather small actually) but then expanded tremendously to about Meta's wingspan when he leaped up.

That's pretty much all I remember, but something to think about regardless.
Debating over dreams ? Count me in.
I can see that happens, a bit like MK actually.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ness, February 1st. The website updated with characters until March 31st with Wolf. That's from about a month after the JP release to nearly a month after the US release. Unless Sakurai FILLS September with character reveals, we probably will have the game long before everyone is on the website.
I'm confused.. :(
when did Brawl release in japan?
HuH :) ...

Top Bottom