• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
anyways, I was thinking. I was worried that sakurai had advertised more boss stages, and we hadn't really seen any candidates other than pyrosphere. But what about Kalos league? You could easily have a larger pokemon boss there, like rayquaza in SSE. He's teased small footage of Kalos, but no screenshots, not in the demo. The more other bosses there are, the more of a chance Ridley has, haha.
Since it is the Kalos league, the boss should be someone who is there in the game, like the Elite Four and Champion Diantha. So... Diantha with her Mega Gardevoir could be the boss in the stage. Or depending of the room the battle is taking place in, one of the four Elite trainers would be the boss. Malva + Talonflame, Wikstrom + Aegislash, Drasna + Noivern and Siebold + Barbaracle.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I see what you did there.:denzel:

Was that pun on purpose?
Not at first no, but I stopped for a second afterwards and pondered if I could choose a more, ahem, fitting word. I swear, some things will never be the same again, the word "big" being the prime example :p

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
There'd probably be a bloody fight to the ridley

anyways, I was thinking. I was worried that sakurai had advertised more boss stages, and we hadn't really seen any candidates other than pyrosphere. But what about Kalos league? You could easily have a larger pokemon boss there, like rayquaza in SSE. He's teased small footage of Kalos, but no screenshots, not in the demo. The more other bosses there are, the more of a chance Ridley has, haha.
What if in the inevitable great fox remake, if you attack the enemy arwings that are blasting everyone, if they take enough damage they crash into the great fox and make a yellow devil explosion?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I really wouldn't say they look bleak at all, especially compared to previous games. I'd say they look pretty good if anything. The issue is just that we're not going to know until the game comes out because they want to really string this along.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
What if in the inevitable great fox remake, if you attack the enemy arwings that are blasting everyone, if they take enough damage they crash into the great fox and make a yellow devil explosion?
I could maybe see a boss fight on a fox stage. I guess it's weird we haven't seen any starfox stage yet. There certainly are boss worthy starfox characters

@ Reila Reila Yeah, exactly. It wouldn't even have to be a cannon league pokemon, there are so many good boss-ish ones to choose from.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
We get Andrew Oikonny to be the opposite of Ridley in SSB4.

An incompetent Star Fox character comes in to be an awesome mech boss, and an awesome Metroid character comes in to be an incompetent boss. :awesome:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Gotta agree with Oasis up there on one thing, the internet wouldn't explode if Ridley is a character. I mean, yeah the Smash fandom would go nuts, but people outside of it wouldn't notice at all. Ridley's smash "legacy" is very much an intern thing for Smash fans only. The only character who's inclusion has been so enormous that it's been reported on big news sites that aren't about gaming, like Yahoo, is Sonic when he was announced for Brawl. I think it was reported somewhere that the Brawl Dojo had 1 million visits on the day Sonic was confirmed, and was momentarily down when he was first announced, though I can't provide a source for that. That my friends is making the internet explode, and let's get real here, while Ridley is requested a ton he's still nowhere near the demand Sonic got, that was out of this world, no character has been so requested before or after his reveal, and no character has the potential to be requested so much either.

No doubt Ridley would still be one of the biggest newcomers they could announce for this game, but his reveal wouldn't take down any sites beyond Smashboards, and Smashboards goes down with every newcomer reveal anyways. The biggest reveal for this game has already happened though, and that was with Mega Man, and even still Ridley is outclassed by Mewtwo and probably K. Rool too.
There's also the community on Gamefaqs flooding the forum with Ridley topics. I'm pretty sure all of the characters (Aside from Mewtwo and characters that wouldn't make sense *cough*Goku*cough*) that people would go crazy about were confirmed already.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
Well, there has to be a reason why only a shadow was shown, master hand was confirmed, and Pyrosphere was missing from both E3 and the Best Buy demos. I now believe 100% that Ridley is playable, and not a stage hazard. Something about all that smells fishy.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Kraid could be a good boss in the pyrosphere. Have him rise from the lava and be in the center behind the stage, taking swipes and stuff at the players. Taking enough damage would knock him back into the lava, causing a big splash of lava to rain on the people that didn't land the last hit.

Reila

There's also the community on Gamefaqs flooding the forum with Ridley topics. I'm pretty sure all of the characters (Aside from Mewtwo and characters that wouldn't make sense *cough*Goku*cough*) that people would go crazy about were confirmed already.
4chan's /v/ also. Every time I visit the site, there are three topics about Ridley (and since Pac-Man's reveal, ten about him lol).

majora_787

Smash Hero
Kraid could be a good boss in the pyrosphere. Have him rise from the lava and be in the center behind the stage, taking swipes and stuff at the players. Taking enough damage would knock him back into the lava, causing a big splash of lava to rain on the people that didn't land the last hit.
Only if we get Meta-Kraid. (If only)

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Someone needs to go make a "Where's the Beef?" gif but replace beef with Ridley right now so I can post it to express my disappointment. I mean I'm almost sure he will be revealed eventually...but I didn't want to be him to be in limbo any longer. And now that Smash has been pushed back it will be forever till a leak if he is kept secret.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm not sure if I'm mistaken here since I don't visit the place so often, but aren't GameFAQs generally anti-Ridley?

I know Reddit is in a very awkward spot in regards to him, some think he'd be a great addition, some simply don't understand it, and others just throw out more "too big" jokes. They aren't anti-Ridley for the most part though (unless you go to r/Metroid where all the Prime4lyfe people wanted Dark Samus), but I guess their reaction would mostly be "huh, it actually happened."

Last edited:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if I'm mistaken here since I don't visit the place so often, but aren't GameFAQs generally anti-Ridley?

I know Reddit is in a very awkward spot in regards to him, some think he'd be a great addition, some simply don't understand it, and others just throw out more "too big" jokes. They aren't anti-Ridley for the most part though, but I guess their reaction would mostly be "huh, it actually happened."
It's pretty much 50/50.

But yeah, I'd expect that response as well.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm looking for Ridley models so I can help with everything we'd have to deal with if he doesn't make it in. Google spat my own post from Sunday asking about it back at me.
Modelers-Resource has his Other M model

Shouldn't be too hard to find his Brawl model if you just extract it with Wii Scrubber from an .iso file, or if you're lucky enough to find an alive directory with all the Brawl files.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
There'd probably be a bloody fight to the ridley

I'm seriously betting that Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Star Fox are going to have boss hazards on the Wii U version of the game. It makes perfect sense for Kirby to get one, considering that bosses in this series are strongly based upon Kirby enemies.

DK and Star Fox are probably getting them because I get the feeling that they're getting the short end of the stick in representation for this installment.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@ Oasis_S Oasis_S only created the thread because of account seniority he got lucky and made it first. Otherwise it woulda been me. or Ismar. Maybe Ridley prime. There aren't that many from the original ridley thread around anymore. mostly because they got banned xD
What would handing the thread over to someone else even mean anyway. Like, do they just not want to see my name there because I said a thing they didn't want to hear? Obviously I'm a Ridley supporter, lol. Like you said it doesn't mean much that I made it to begin with, and it wouldn't change the fact that I did make it. They'd still know I made it. SO LIKE I DUNNO MAN???

I popped in to check on the thread during E3, and there were some acting like Ridley's non-reveal ruined the whole thing. Incredible. E3 was so good and you can't be happy because of one little thing.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Gotta agree with Oasis up there on one thing, the internet wouldn't explode if Ridley is a character. I mean, yeah the Smash fandom would go nuts, but people outside of it wouldn't notice at all. Ridley's smash "legacy" is very much an intern thing for Smash fans only. The only character who's inclusion has been so enormous that it's been reported on big news sites that aren't about gaming, like Yahoo, is Sonic when he was announced for Brawl. I think it was reported somewhere that the Brawl Dojo had 1 million visits on the day Sonic was confirmed, and was momentarily down when he was first announced, though I can't provide a source for that. That my friends is making the internet explode, and let's get real here, while Ridley is requested a ton he's still nowhere near the demand Sonic got, that was out of this world, no character has been so requested before or after his reveal, and no character has the potential to be requested so much either.

No doubt Ridley would still be one of the biggest newcomers they could announce for this game, but his reveal wouldn't take down any sites beyond Smashboards, and Smashboards goes down with every newcomer reveal anyways. The biggest reveal for this game has already happened though, and that was with Mega Man, and even still Ridley is outclassed by Mewtwo and probably K. Rool too.
His inclusion would still cause the Smash fandom to snap in two and implode into a magnificent black hole, but it would only last for a short while because hindsight kicks in ("Well, we got a lot of Metroid love in thins game, as well as him being teased a lot, so I guess it makes sense").

We might never get such an internet explosion like the one we got when Sonic was revealed (or a somewhat smaller one when Mega Man got confirmed). But Ridley would certainly create an big uproar nonetheless.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I would say Ridley's chances were not changed at all. We did not see anything Pyrosphere related and it was not in the demo.
There's only ONE thing that could potentially hurt Ridley's chances, and that's the fact that we've now seen how shadows work. If Ridley is playable, he has a hover mechanic like Peach where he can hold up to stay in the air for a while. Unless the shadows were changed, but we'd have to check out previous footage to confirm this.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
other m ridley as a stage hazard. A new ridley designed to be playable will be the second model.There are plenty of examples on kc-mm.com for Charizard Ridley textures. Its doable. Ridley changes in every game. Size, length, joints, wing span, neck, and color even.

Nintendo is in a different position this time compared to Brawl. The wii u needs steam. They have a strong line up coming winter/2015 and Ridley would be a great way to convince people to buy that wii u . I dont own a Wii U, but, if our space pirate gets a spot, I'm jumping all over it. Head first. No protection.

DarkRyu

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoungChief
3DS FC
4098-2758-3357
No offense but I seriously doubt that many people would buy a game system just for Ridley in smash, he's cool, but, come on son. Hell, even if Ridley isn't in the game, I can guarantee most people that post in this thread would buy the game and system anyway, if they already haven't

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
No offense but I seriously doubt that many people would buy a game system just for Ridley in smash, he's cool, but, come on son. Hell, even if Ridley isn't in the game, I can guarantee most people that post in this thread would buy the game and system anyway, if they already haven't
I'm getting the 3DS version only. If Ridley is playable, that would strongly make me consider getting the Wii U version, as there's currently no incentive for me to get both games.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm getting the 3DS version, the roster is basically only affecting if I get the Wii U version right now.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'll get the Wii U version either way, mainly just because I want a Wii U. The roster will only determine what priority I get Wii U games in.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
The sentiment that, "I'm not buying the game if character X does(n't) appear." is shared by a small minority anyways. To each their own I suppose, but regardless if Ridley gets in or not, my friends and I are still going to enjoy the hell out of this game on both 3DS and Wii U.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
If in the end it happens to be that Purple Space Pirate isn't playable, I wonder if someone would be able to mod the game. I have yet to see anybody gain access to the assets of a Wii U/3DS game, though.

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice
If in the end it happens to be that Purple Space Pirate isn't playable, I wonder if someone would be able to mod the game. I have yet to see anybody gain access to the assets of a Wii U/3DS game, though.
DLC is still a possibility. If there is enough fans complaining about no playable Ridley I'm sure Sakurai will listen.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well I have a 3DS & WiiU I will buy both versions even if Ridley is not in but I will also buy a bag of salt the same day because I will need it for my sore behind...... Although if this guy ain't in the game either.....
Mewtwo-frikarte.jpg

Then i am not purchasing any version at all.

Last edited:

Reila

I don't play Smash mods, so even if they manage to make a mod of Smash 4 with playable Ridley, it would mean nothing to me.

DLC is a possibility, tho.

Last edited:

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice
Well I have a 3DS & WiiU I will buy both versions even if Ridley is not in but I will also buy a bag of salt the same day because I will need it for my sore behind...... Although if this guy ain't in the game either.....
View attachment 16143

Then i am not purchasing any version at all.
To not purchase this game over two characters not getting in is ridiculous. Seriously, you're not excited to play as anyone else on the roster?! You're just following this game in hope for Ridley and Mewtwo? I strongly believe they will get in, but even if they don't they are incredibly likely for DLC characters. Unless you're one of those people that just can't force themselves to buy DLC.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Aren't you proud of what you created? You made a thread that's bigger than the Official Character Discussion thread itself!
That's not the problem. The problem is that this thread has had the tendency of getting derailed way too many times. Hardly any of the other character threads have to deal with this.

Reila

To not purchase this game over two characters not getting in is ridiculous. Seriously, you're not excited to play as anyone else on the roster?! You're just following this game in hope for Ridley and Mewtwo? I strongly believe they will get in, but even if they don't they are incredibly likely for DLC characters. Unless you're one of those people that just can't force themselves to buy DLC.
No, it is not ridiculous at all. If one values the roster in the game, not wanting to buy it if one or two certain characters aren't in is completely understandable. And even if it wasn't, to each their own. It is his money, if he doesn't want to buy Smash 4 if Ridley and Mewtwo aren't playable, then fine, it is his choice. In fact, I think buying the game regardless of who are the characters in the roster is what is ridiculous.

Top Bottom