• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Why is this thread even still going.

Gross.
Aren't you proud of what you created? You made a thread that's bigger than the Official Character Discussion thread itself!

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I'm gonna try keeping up our streak of beating the main character thread. Do you see any new Assist Trophies for Metroid?
I hope we don't get more Metroid AT, adding Assist Trophies seems like a poor excuse to add Metroid representaion without giving us a new Metroid character, I already see way too many people saying things like :
-"Be happy, you got two new assist trophies, a new item, a boss and ZSS now have her own slot so here's you're new rep, that's already way pushing it for the Metroid series, you don't need another new rep, seriously the Meroid fanbase is by far the most ungratefull smash fanbase of them all".

So guys let's be happy we may not have Ridley as a playable rep like everybody was begging Sakurai for 13 years, but look at the bright side, we got :
-2 new AT that we didn't ask for (one being our best chance for a new Metroid rep after Ridley),
-An item that we didn't ask for,
-A boss that everybody didn't want to see (they did remove the Meta Ridley boss fight tough, so we're half-way there),
-And a brand new Metroid character slot on the roster.

Hooray

:glare:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Why is this thread even still going.

Gross.
You could give the ownership of the thread for some other user (Ismar, maybe) if you aren't a Ridley supporter anymore (seems to be the case).

Otherwise, because Ridley.²

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I'm gonna try keeping up our streak of beating the main character thread. Do you see any new Assist Trophies for Metroid?
If my theory about Nightmare being a stage hazard for pyrosphere turns out to be proven false, I hope Nightmare is an assist or even Mother Brain's humanoid form, from Super Metroid

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I hope we don't get more Metroid AT, adding Assist Trophies seems like a poor excuse to add Metroid representaion without giving us a new Metroid character, I already see way too many people saying things like :
-"Be happy, you got two new assist trophies, a new item, a boss and ZSS now have her own slot so here's you're new rep, that's already way pushing it for the Metroid series, you don't need another new rep, seriously the Meroid fanbase is by far the most ungratefull smash fanbase of them all".

So guys let's be happy we may not have Ridley as a playable rep like everybody was begging Sakurai for 13 years, but look at the bright side, we got :
-2 new AT that we didn't ask for (one being our best chance for a new Metroid rep after Ridley),
-An item that we didn't ask for,
-A boss that everybody didn't want to see (they did remove the Meta Ridley boss fight tough, so we're half-way there),
-And a brand new Metroid character slot on the roster.

Hooray

:glare:
What's the new item?

And how many people honestly like Zero Suit Samus here, as a character? I always assumed that she was only liked by non-Metroid fans.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Not to mention that the new Mario and Fire Emblem stages were playable after being shown days before the demo whereas Pyrosphere has been developed forever and we still know nothing.
Sakurai is going to wring out as much trolling as he can concerning Ridley.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
What's the new item?

And how many people honestly like Zero Suit Samus here, as a character? I always assumed that she was only liked by non-Metroid fans.
The new item is the Power Bomb.

As for ZSS, yeah even when I wasn't a metroid fan I didn't like her, the whole point of ZSS in Metroid Zero Mission was to avoid fighting as much as possible, so why add her in a fighting game ?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
What's the new item?

I believe it was the Power Bomb item you get in Smash Run.

But yeah, it doesn't make much sense to have ZSS as a character. I mean, she's cool I guess, but come on now, if it means no Ridley, then screw it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Aren't you proud of what you created? You made a thread that's bigger than the Official Character Discussion thread itself!
It's not a big deal, I'm the Strongest in the whole world. Just like Ridley's not that big a deal. OBVIOUSLY, we all love him in this thread, but he's not nearly as big as this thread makes him out to be. The internet wouldn't explode. Very few care as much as we do. He'd get the same reaction every character gets. Sakurai isn't "teasing" him, or "saving" him. That's real delusional thinking.

The people making him too big, yeah, that's been us all along.

ANYWAY everyone, aside from a few in this thread, has known he's a stage hazard for a couple months now. Little overdue on realizing that. Kind of pathetic.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It's not a big deal, I'm the Strongest in the whole world. Just like Ridley's not that big a deal. OBVIOUSLY, we all love him in this thread, but he's not nearly as big as this thread makes him out to be. The internet wouldn't explode. Very few care as much as we do. He'd get the same reaction every character gets. Sakurai isn't "teasing" him, or "saving" him. That's real delusional thinking.

Somehow, I doubt that. You could make the same claim for every other potential newcomer.

I think we need to take away your badge of "Preeminent Ridley Supporter" and give it to someone else. And if you already threw it away, we're going to tar and feather you.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
What's the new item?

weakly raises hand

With the removal of transformations, I've sorta transferred all the non-Other M personality traits and characteristics onto Zero Suit Samus, leaving regular old Samus as an empty suit of armor, or at least an SA-X. I liked the idea that Samus could still kick your ass 11 ways to hell even without the fancy Power Suit, sorta like if you kicked the gun out of the hands of a Kung-fu master.

I don't really understand why people would hate her for "taking Ridley's spot" or something. But maybe that's because I was a passive detractor in the Brawl speculation days.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
No, i'm sorry. Ridley is a big deal. Excuse my pun. America has a far larger love of Metroid than the east. The internet would explode. Children would be born early. Bridges would collapse. Checks would bounce.

Smash needs a much more diverse sample of the villians of Nintendo.

majora_787

Smash Hero
weakly raises hand

With the removal of transformations, I've sorta transferred all the non-Other M personality traits and characteristics onto Zero Suit Samus, leaving regular old Samus as an empty suit of armor, or at least an SA-X. I liked the idea that Samus could still kick your *** 11 ways to hell even without the fancy Power Suit, sorta like if you kicked the gun out of the hands of a Kung-fu master.

I don't really understand why people would hate her for "taking Ridley's spot" or something. But maybe that's because I was a passive detractor in the Brawl speculation days.
I'm not even going to comment on this because it will piss everyone off for literally no reason other than people want to believe what they want to believe no matter what's actually true.

But anyway, I don't really get why people think the Zero Suit is taking RIdley's spot either. If they want to add Ridley they'll add Ridley. If not I guess they'd rather have a dinky poorly designed stage hazard. That's on them and their priorities more than anything. They're not giving us Zamus as a 'replacement' or anything.

D

Deleted member

Lets hope some NEET extremely addicted to Smash buy the game in the release date, then. Then in less than 12 hours we might now the full roster. :p
It's kind off pathetic but I wish I could be one of those people, spending an entire day playing Smash 4 would make my year.

At any rate, I'm expecting the PotD content to be more informative as we approach release (once we get through the inevitable recap pictures of stuff from E3). Hopefully Sakurai will feed us something else about Pyrosphere and Ridley soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

ANYWAY everyone, aside from a few in this thread, has known he's a stage hazard for a couple months now. Little overdue on realizing that. Kind of pathetic.

Even if they stopped the roster now I would still buy the game, might annoy Captain Falcon and Falco fans along with other veteran characters that still remain unannounced( Still would like Falco in myself), but in terms of newcomers, the only type/others I can think of after fan favourites is ones from other series to help spread awareness of the games, like the Fire Emblem reps did for their game. IMO Ridley is no less deserving than King K. Rool or Demise, so speculating doesn't hurt anyone as long as you remember that this might never happen.

edit: about Ridley being a stage hazard, Sakurai could have just come straight out and say that the pyrosphere stage isn't complete but Ridley will be a stage hazard, instead he doesn't even mention him by name and only shows us a shadow, not even Sakurai is that sadistic.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Even if they stopped the roster now I would still buy the game, might annoy Captain Falcon and Falco fans along with other veteran characters that still remain unannounced( Still would like Falco in myself), but in terms of newcomers, the only type/others I can think of after fan favourites is ones from other series to help spread awareness of the games, like the Fire Emblem reps did for their game. IMO Ridley is no less deserving than King K. Rool or Demise, so speculating doesn't hurt anyone as long as you remember that this might never happen.
Classic villains are equivalent to one-time villains in new games? I assume you meant Ganon. /nitpicking

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I believe the major point is, she isn't even a newcomer. She was already in Brawl, and the idea that Sakurai thinks that giving her a separate slot in spite of Ridley and basically saying, "Here's your new Metroid rep!" is the actual problem, not Zamus herself.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It's kind off pathetic but I wish I could be one of those people, spending an entire day playing Smash 4 would make my year.
Oh, believe me, you don't want to be a NEET. :p I speak from personal experience.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I believe the major point is, she isn't even a newcomer. She was already in Brawl, and the idea that Sakurai thinks that giving her a separate slot in spite of Ridley and basically saying, "Here's your new Metroid rep!" is the actual problem, not Zamus herself.
I have no idea why people act like slots matter at all compared to character count. We always had two Metroid characters, and the problem was that they were literally both Samus. The number of characters has not changed because they take up two slots visually on the select screen, and the problem is STILL that they are both Samus.

We don't have more just because we can see more on the select screen, that's not how that works. I think some people need to calm down and not look for reasons to freak out like that.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Classic villains are equivalent to one-time villains in new games? I assume you meant Ganon. /nitpicking
People wanted Ghirahim to be a playable character and he was only in Skyward sword as well, just couldn't remember Ghirahim's name so used Demise instead (looked it up since of course)

[collapse=Nightmare fuel]
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I have no idea why people act like slots matter at all compared to character count. We always had two Metroid characters, and the problem was that they were literally both Samus. The number of characters has not changed because they take up two slots visually on the select screen, and the problem is STILL that they are both Samus.

We don't have more just because we can see more on the select screen, that's not how that works. I think some people need to calm down and not look for reasons to freak out like that.
Exactly, besides I bet you'll be able to toggle the character select screen and Ridley will have his own section with it being as large as the rest of the roster. :troll:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I thought ROB was the one who took Ridley's spot. :troll:

majora_787

Smash Hero
People wanted Ghirahim to be a playable character and he was only in Skyward sword as well, just couldn't remember Ghirahim's name so used Demise instead (looked it up since of course)
My critical response is even more there the. I'd consider Ridley and K. Rool significantly more deserving than a minor villain who was in one Zelda game. :p But people are going to disagree with me on that probably so whatever. Not entirely relevant here.

Also enemy Metroids. Good. Waiting for Ingsmashers to just be an enemy. (Haha if only)

Exegguter

Smash Lord
So is ridley officially disconfirmed? I haven't been reading smashboards because I was too salty @ e3.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@ Oasis_S Oasis_S only created the thread because of account seniority he got lucky and made it first. Otherwise it woulda been me. or Ismar. Maybe Ridley prime. There aren't that many from the original ridley thread around anymore. mostly because they got banned xD

majora_787

Smash Hero
So is ridley officially disconfirmed? I haven't been reading smashboards because I was too salty @ e3.
No. Pyrosphere was deliberately missing from the demo. The wait continues. Probably until the game comes out. Do with it what you will.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
My critical response is even more there the. I'd consider Ridley and K. Rool significantly more deserving than a minor villain who was in one Zelda game. :p But people are going to disagree with me on that probably so whatever. Not entirely relevant here.

Also enemy Metroids. Good. Waiting for Ingsmashers to just be an enemy. (Haha if only)
If I could add any new Zelda Rep it would be Vaati, main reason I said King K. Rool and Demise (which I should have before), was because they were pretty much opposite scales, like you said Demise and his sword are one off characters, and King K. Rool was pretty much in all the early Donkey Kong games (Donkey kong country I mean) and even the animation series

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Damn. That sucks.

So we're back at 50/50. This thread should be called Shrödinger Cat...
Been using that analogy for a while now with Ridley lol, wonder if Ridley is immune to poison

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
@ Oasis_S Oasis_S only created the thread because of account seniority he got lucky and made it first. Otherwise it woulda been me. or Ismar. Maybe Ridley prime. There aren't that many from the original ridley thread around anymore. mostly because they got banned xD
Ah, so that means we have to give the badge (that was once Oasis_S's) to either of you, then.

At first, I was salty over Ridley's apparent exclusion from the roster and that all the other highly requested newcomers were shoo-ins, but now after looking at what the final roster will look like in the end, I don't feel so bad anymore. We're just going to be one of many, many disappointed fanbases when the game is leaked in Japan.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Gotta agree with Oasis up there on one thing, the internet wouldn't explode if Ridley is a character. I mean, yeah the Smash fandom would go nuts, but people outside of it wouldn't notice at all. Ridley's smash "legacy" is very much an intern thing for Smash fans only. The only character who's inclusion has been so enormous that it's been reported on big news sites that aren't about gaming, like Yahoo, is Sonic when he was announced for Brawl. I think it was reported somewhere that the Brawl Dojo had 1 million visits on the day Sonic was confirmed, and was momentarily down when he was first announced, though I can't provide a source for that. That my friends is making the internet explode, and let's get real here, while Ridley is requested a ton he's still nowhere near the demand Sonic got, that was out of this world, no character has been so requested before or after his reveal, and no character has the potential to be requested so much either.

No doubt Ridley would still be one of the biggest newcomers they could announce for this game, but his reveal wouldn't take down any sites beyond Smashboards, and Smashboards goes down with every newcomer reveal anyways. The biggest reveal for this game has already happened though, and that was with Mega Man, and even still Ridley is outclassed by Mewtwo and probably K. Rool too.

Last edited:

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
Sakurai has had plenty of chances to come clean about Ridleys status. He knows about the buzz surrounding Ridley, which is why he has neglected to show or comment on anything relating to pyrosphere. Yellow Devil was made clear very early. As was the Skull kid POTD, Walugi POTD, and other POTD where he would elaborate on Miiverse .

Its not like stage bosses are even a mystery. He could easily dispel it.

Have hope little ridley lovers. Have hope.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ah, so that means we have to give the badge (that was once Oasis_S's) to either of you, then.

At first, I was salty over Ridley's apparent exclusion from the roster and that all the other highly requested newcomers were shoo-ins, but now after looking at what the final roster will look like in the end, I don't feel so bad anymore. We're just going to be one of many, many disappointed fanbases when the game is leaked in Japan.
There'd probably be a bloody fight to the ridley

anyways, I was thinking. I was worried that sakurai had advertised more boss stages, and we hadn't really seen any candidates other than pyrosphere. But what about Kalos league? You could easily have a larger pokemon boss there, like rayquaza in SSE. He's teased small footage of Kalos, but no screenshots, not in the demo. The more other bosses there are, the more of a chance Ridley has, haha.

Top Bottom