• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Thought I should lighten the mood in this thread...

Our SCAWY DWAGY (scary dragon) still has a chance to join the fight. Don't lose hope just yet.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I simply think Ridley's exclusion in Smash is because the Metroid franchise isn't very popular to Japan.

Sakurai would rather use obscure characters from random NES games or WTF characters like Wii Fit trainer than include a notable villain like Ridley.
Um, I think this shorter-than-average boxer would like to have a word with you regarding lack of Japanese popularity.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I went to bed early tonight after eating out at a pizza buffet. I just woke up from a dream... in my dream, I saw so many people getting hyped because Ridley was confirmed at E3 2014. Apparently he got the evolution mechanic instead of a playable Pokemon... starting out as Little Birdie then Mystery Creature then Ridley... evolving whenever he scores a KO... and he starts over again as Little Birdie whenever he gets KO'd.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I went to bed early tonight after eating out at a pizza buffet. I just woke up from a dream... in my dream, I saw so many people getting hyped because Ridley was confirmed at E3 2014. Apparently he got the evolution mechanic instead of a playable Pokemon... starting out as Little Birdie then Mystery Creature then Ridley... evolving whenever he scores a KO... and he starts over again as Little Birdie whenever he gets KO'd.
I would be fine with this mechanic... Not really, no.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
A mechanic like that would make him absolutely useless in 1v1s.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
It seems like he's stalling for the pic of the day. Perhaps he knows what it is?
It seems like he's stalling for the pic of the day. Perhaps he knows what it is?
Just saw the pic of the day, it's just Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man standing beside each other. So nothing special there.

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
In the time he takes to explain, Ridley could have gone from Little Birdy, to Mystery Creature, to Ridley.... twice.
Just saw the pic of the day, it's just Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man standing beside each other. So nothing special there.

"Pic of the day. This is quite a line-up of characters for the gaming world. I mean, it's amazing enough that Mario can fight Pikachu. I hope you enjoy this truly unique celebration!!"
"...Mario can fight Pikachu.."
"...Pikachu..."
" Peeks at you"
"Ridley Peeks at you."
"Ridley."
Maybe I'm finally insane.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I think it may be the pic of the day that ZeRo was talking about.
I guess we'll know soon enough though.
Edit: Never mind.

Last edited:

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
So he just posted that he can't reveal it now.
"Guys, really sad to say this but the announcement I planned to reveal during this AMA can't be done now. HOWEVER, this is incredibly exciting and awesome for the scene. I hope that this goes well and that I can announce it later on."

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
"Guys, really sad to say this but the announcement I planned to reveal during this AMA can't be done now. HOWEVER, this is incredibly exciting and awesome for the scene. I hope that this goes well and that I can announce it later on."
ALL THAT WAITING FOR NOTHING!! Oh well I guess its to be expected. Well then should we get back to business as usual?

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Even Ridley's Wikipedia article says he's the main villain of the series. :awesome:
What I like most about it is that Ridley's Japanese article directly links to him when you type in "リドリー", instead of going to someone else like Ridley Scott.

Also the fact that he's the second Metroid character listed after Samus. Mother Brain doesn't even have a Japanese article there.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Even Ridley's Wikipedia article says he's the main villain of the series. :awesome:
Well... he is. He's not the main villain of any specific game, but he's still the franchise's main villain as a whole. Ridley is what you'd call the "Dragon-in-Chief." Mother Brain may technically be the main antagonist, but Ridley is the one putting everything into motion and keeps coming back to fight Samus, so as a whole, Ridley really is the main antagonist of Metroid.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
  • Despite being shown to be a male through the logbook scans in Metroid Prime, Retro Studios designer Mike Sneath refers to Ridley as a female. In the original Metroid manual, Ridley is referred to as an "it".
...Huh...I...well I learned something today.

I demand Ridley and Poison together fanart for....science.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
  • Despite being shown to be a male through the logbook scans in Metroid Prime, Retro Studios designer Mike Sneath refers to Ridley as a female. In the original Metroid manual, Ridley is referred to as an "it".
...Huh...I...well I learned something today.

I demand Ridley and Poison together fanart for....science.
And here is were I revoke my artist licence.

done.png

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
so still no ridley in any way huh, well sakurai' really teasing the **** out of us. but it does give me more confidence that he will be playable

also i made this, enjoy.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Sorry if this was brought up earlier here...

but regarding Ridley's shadow in the Smash Direct, it appears that he's in constant flight, and he's hovering above the ground for a decent time in the teaser. I'm not exactly sure what it could mean, either that Ridley will potentially be able to fly/hover a certain distance above platforms, has a long(ish) period of time he can hover/fly. Or the worst possible outcome he's a stage hazard which means he can fly as high for as long as he wants as he has no restrictions as a character. Though if a playable Ridley was able to fly for long periods of time (or constantly), would making him slow even make it fair? My personal opinion is he could potentially be able to hover across platforms, that way he can't just fly off to the side of the screen and attack with projectiles.

Also..

At least it's smash related, but assuming it even is a character I'm leaning towards it being a veteran more than Ridley since we haven't had any official reveals, and it would appeal more to the MLG scene imo.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So Zero's announcement is something like a mechanics announcement for the competitive community? Meh, no Ridley :/

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
"About the announcement: I can't comment yet, but please don't assume anything. It's just something exciting for me and the scene, and all the Smash games (That's more of what I meant). I couldn't announce it tonight due to reasons I can't say, but I will in a different ocassion when I can."

We can drop speculation on that now, guys. Wait 'till next direct. I'm betting we're gonna have a dry spell until July, at least.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
"About the announcement: I can't comment yet, but please don't assume anything. It's just something exciting for me and the scene, and all the Smash games (That's more of what I meant). I couldn't announce it tonight due to reasons I can't say, but I will in a different ocassion when I can."

We can drop speculation on that now, guys. Wait 'till next direct. I'm betting we're gonna have a dry spell until July, at least.
Like people were saying it did seem odd for Nintendo to allow him to unveil a character, at least it gives people time to go over all the new information we have on smash, and since the site had a revamp with a new how to play section we might start getting more detailed information on the mechanics of the game

Koopaul

Smash Champion
As for who's the main villain of the Metroid series? Think of it this way:

Ridley is Darth Vader and Mother Brain is the Emporer.

In Star Wars, the Emporer is technically the big bad, but Darth Vader is more of a main character than he is. Same goes for Ridley.

TKraix

Smash Rookie
ZeRo said 15 minutes ago: ,,AT THE ANNOUNCEMENT: I'm seeing too many posts about Nintendo and assumptions. Please, keep in mind that this is not related with Nintendo in any way. Don't want that to spread. Thank you."
So there won't be any character reveal or something like that.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
So, it's 'exciting and awesome' information for the competitive scene. Nothin' to see here, folks, move along.

Like people were saying it did seem odd for Nintendo to allow him to unveil a character, at least it gives people time to go over all the new information we have on smash, and since the site had a revamp with a new how to play section we might start getting more detailed information on the mechanics of the game
I don't find that particularly odd, myself, but I figured it was a bit of a stretch at best.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
But it should definitely be one of the strongest factors in deciding the most important part of a fighting game: the roster.

You're not going to sell a Smash Brothers game that's a couple of fan favorites and then Goomba, Paratroopa and Bullet Bill. Yeah, those are easily recognized, and a lot of people are going to recognize them, but no-one really asked for them and they're bad picks no matter how you slice it.

Like Wii Fit Trainer, Chorus Men and Shulk.

OFFICIAL%2BReal%2BTalk%2B2011%2BLogo%2B.jpg

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Welp, another day, another pic that keeps Ridley afloat. On the plus side, a couple more months worth of info to get out.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Welp, another day, another pic that keeps Ridley afloat. On the plus side, a couple more months worth of info to get out.
mmhmm. I totally expect a few more vets, (the obvious ones), and maybe one or two more hidden characters .

I also expect them to keep a few characters hidden until release.

I have no idea if they plan on showing off pyrosphere before then, though...

Top Bottom