• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
well the 3ds version in japan comes out September 13thish so by august or September ## we should have a legit fully leaked roster.
Stores in Japan don't usually break street date, so I wouldn't hope for a leak of the roster in August. I suppose if one of those 3DS hackers get their hands on a Japanese copy of the game, we might get to know all characters and stages a few days after the release of the game. I say that because even if Ridley isn't a boss in the 3DS version, that doesn't necessarily confirm him as playable, since he could be a Wii U exclusive boss/hazard.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
well the 3ds version in japan comes out September 13thish so by august or September ## we should have a legit fully leaked roster.
It truly is a shame that most probably we will have to wait for that because I really wanted to do a no spoiler melee like play with no spoilers but I guess that dream died anyway when there was no worldwide release...

Reila

Well, we know the roster is the same on both versions...
Yes, but if Ridley isn't revealed until the release date, he will likely be a secret character. Some secret characters are quite complicated to unlock, so we will likely not know the full roster of the game until a few days after the release. So, if a 3DS hacker gets his hand in a copy of the game, they can just leak the whole thing at once, like one did with Pokémon XY (not on the release date, because the 3DS wasn't hacked back then). This was the point I was trying to make in my previous post.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It truly is a shame that most probably we will have to wait for that because I really wanted to do a no spoiler melee like play with no spoilers but I guess that dream died anyway when there was no worldwide release...
Yeah, there's no way I'm staying off the internet for a full month, and half the stuff I do on the internet these days is smash related. I would've liked to be surprised on my own, but when I get bored at work, smash info it is.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yes, but if Ridley isn't revealed until the release date, he will likely be a secret character. Some secret characters are quite complicated to unlock, so we will likely not know the full roster of the game until a few days after the release. So, if a 3DS hacker gets his hand in a copy of the game, they can just leak the whole thing at once, like one did with Pokémon XY (not on the release date, because the 3DS wasn't hacked back then). This was the point I was trying to make in my previous post.
Both Melee and Brawl gave you a notification once you unlocked the entire roster, so we'll know the entire roster for sure once someone unlocks it.

Edit: I think I misinterpreted that. Nonetheless Flower + Stamina 1HP matches are going to unlock the full roster Day 1 if unlocking characters by playing matches is still a thing.

Last edited:

Reila

Both Melee and Brawl gave you a notification once you unlocked the entire roster, so we'll know the entire roster for sure once someone unlocks it.
And you are still missing the point. lol What I was saying is that if a hacker gets the game, we will know the full roster way faster. Have in mind that once the game is released, we will all go nuts in hope for news about Ridley's status in the game, so waiting for someone to fully unlock the characters will be a torture. Unless, of course, he is revealed before the release, as a playable character, boss, hazard or whatever.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yep. We just gotta hope he survives the PotD until the release.

Personally, my biggest worry is that on some random week, he'll go full depth on pyrosphere info with bossly.

and my poor little heart will be crushed

until it turns out he's also playable

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
And you are still missing the point. lol What I was saying is that if a hacker gets the game, we will know the full roster way faster. Have in mind that once the game is released, we will all go nuts in hope for news about Ridley's status in the game, so waiting for someone to fully unlock the characters will be a torture. Unless, of course, he is revealed before the release, as a playable character, boss, hazard or whatever.
It takes a stone age to hack a 3DS game atm though. Pokémon X & Y has only just been breached, and we still can't read everything from it. With Smash 4 we're likely going to be introduced to new file formats, and if they compress the game better than Brawl was it's going to be a pain. Even then the game is not likely to end up in the hands of 3DS hackers first as there are so few of them atm, it's most likely going to be fully unlocked in a legit manner.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yep. We just gotta hope he survives the PotD until the release.

Personally, my biggest worry is that on some random week, he'll go full depth on pyrosphere info with bossly.

and my poor little heart will be crushed

until it turns out he's also playable
Well

Just so you know it's possible sakurai unmask the pyrophere as more than the geothermal powerplant. And the other 2 pryosphere bosses are the boss hazards and ridley is only 1 when hes not being played as.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well

Just so you know it's possible sakurai unmask the pyrophere as more than the geothermal powerplant. And the other 2 pryosphere bosses are the boss hazards and ridley is only 1 when hes not being played as.
I know there are a lot of ways it could go.

But if Sakurai unveils bossly, it'll be a huge buzzkill, regardless if Ridley is a hidden character too, because I'll be convinced he's not playable after that.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Even if the roster will only be unlocked legally, I imagine it'll be at or before release in Japan when we know the full roster. There are always those lucky few (mostly game reviewers) who
manage to get copies a few days early, no matter the country.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Maybe I should become a video game reviewer, and get everyone on the thread to give me a boost in terms of populatiry. I don't know how game reviewers get copies in advance, but it'd be nice if I did, and I'd leak the roster to y'all totally be selfish with the game.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
When the game comes out in japan, all the spoilers that I wanna know is wether or not Ridley is playable, and the total amount of characters, but not who they are.
it's not gonna be easy only finding that specific info, lol. You might have to message someone on the boards to help you xD

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Im sure an obscure store in Japan will break the street date and sell the game a few days earlier, or some employee will "acquire" an unsold retail copy ahead of time and we'll know the full roster before the real release.

Reila

Im sure an obscure store in Japan will break the street date and sell the game a few days earlier, or some employee will "acquire" an unsold retail copy ahead of time and we'll know the full roster before the real release.
I am not sure about that. I know people got in trouble from posting pictures of one of Shonen Jump's mangas in the internet, before the release of the magazine, so breaking the street date for a game is very unlikely to happen in Japan. Here in the West things are different, but by the time the game comes here, we will likely know everything about it. But if it happens, yay then. :p

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
So... now all can I say is that E3 got me...

S2A571_0D92958E55172_000.gif

"Utterly disappointed..."

Happy about the fact that there wasn't a deconfirmation....but disappointed that not even the biggest (not trying to make a "pun") event in gaming wasn't enough to reveal him already...and more waiting...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Seeing as how rough the demo was at points, I could easily see Ridley being an incomplete stage hazard. Really hoping that's not the case. It's getting ridiculous waiting for more Ridley info.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I personally hope gets delayed in Japan so that it becomes a woldwide release. That way spoilers won't be as abundant.

I really want to experience that child like experience of discovering the characters on my own and without resorting to the internet again...

GUESS I'LL HAVE TO WAIT 'TILL SMASH 6 OR SOMETHING.

On the other hand, Ridley.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Crazy idea: What if they revealed a newcomer from Zelda one month from now and a Metroid newcomer a month later? Kid Icarus, Zelda, and Metroid did debut in the same year, and August is appropriate for a Metroidversary...

D

Deleted member

I am not sure about that. I know people got in trouble from posting pictures of one of Shonen Jump's mangas in the internet, before the release of the magazine, so breaking the street date for a game is very unlikely to happen in Japan. Here in the West things are different, but by the time the game comes here, we will likely know everything about it. But if it happens, yay then. :p
The nice thing is that, given the time difference, we might even have the full roster when it is still September 12th over here if those in Japan that pick it up day one work fast enough. I'm still banking on some of those game reviewer people on Youtube or elsewhere to get it early and reveal it that way, however.

I just want to know Ridley's fate as soon as possible, I'm past the point of frustration with the way Sakurai has dragged this out on us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinn

Smash Lord
This brings back memories. Back when Brawl was coming out, I was friends with the manager at my local GameStop. I already had Brawl pre-ordered and paid for, so he let me have his manager copy a day or two early. I was the most popular kid in the dorms.

Of course, by then we already knew the roster because of Japan (God, the Brawl delay for North America was horrible), but I was still happy to have it ASAP.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm gonna try keeping up our streak of beating the main character thread. Do you see any new Assist Trophies for Metroid?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
It seems kinda stupid to still be working on Pyrosphere (original) all this time later. And it's sillier that Sakurai and his team supposedly still haven't managed to finish what appears to be the stage's best feature, yet were working on and are finishing up on Pyrosphere FD, then to go back to finishing a stage hazard for a stage that was revealed months ago. It doesn't make any sense, surely Pyrosphere and all its features were completed before starting development on Pyrosphere FD (Pyrosphere FD wasn't really essential)...? If not, then... well... that's poor planning and development ._.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I'm gonna try keeping up our streak of beating the main character thread. Do you see any new Assist Trophies for Metroid?
:/ more assist trophies? well, I guess it could be Rundas and Gandrayda...but I need playable Rids....

majora_787

Smash Hero
It seems kinda stupid to still be working on Pyrosphere (original) all this time later. And it's sillier that Sakurai and his team supposedly still haven't managed to finish what appears to be the stage's best feature, yet were working on and are finishing up on Pyrosphere FD, then to go back to finishing a stage hazard for a stage that was revealed months ago. It doesn't make any sense, surely Pyrosphere and all its features were completed before starting development on Pyrosphere FD (Pyrosphere FD wasn't really essential)...? If not, then... well... that's poor planning and development ._.
I've said this before, MOST arguments against Ridley at this point literally hinge on otherworldy incompetence on part of Sakurai and the entire dev team.

Apparently everyone being impossibly incapable of their own jobs all of a sudden is more likely than Bowser-sized Ridley who hasn't been deconfirmed being a playable character after all. What a world.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Not to mention that the new Mario and Fire Emblem stages were playable after being shown days before the demo whereas Pyrosphere has been developed forever and we still know nothing.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Not to mention that the new Mario and Fire Emblem stages were playable after being shown days before the demo whereas Pyrosphere has been developed forever and we still know nothing.
It totally has nothing to do with Pyrosphere being the only stage which would explicitly show the outcome of recent teasing. Yep. All a 100% coincidence. They're just having a really hard time finishing this one stage in a year's time. :p

Reila

The nice thing is that, given the time difference, we might even have the full roster when it is still September 12th over here if those in Japan that pick it up day one work fast enough. I'm still banking on some of those game reviewer people on Youtube or elsewhere to get it early and reveal it that way, however.

I just want to know Ridley's fate as soon as possible, I'm past the point of frustration with the way Sakurai has dragged this out on us.
Lets hope some NEET extremely addicted to Smash buy the game in the release date, then. Then in less than 12 hours we might now the full roster. :p

Top Bottom