• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not to mention August is also the anniversary of Metroid as a whole, both in Japan and America.
If that's the case, it'd be cool to see anything related to Metroid show in a direct or something. Maybe a new Metroid game or Ridley being playable in Smash. Still, Ridley's more or less in the same position as before E3. So there's not much else to do but wait.

A bit off topic, but I seriously want to see some Ganondorf gameplay. A lot of the characters seem to be new and improved in Smash 4, so I can only hope for the same to happen with Ganon.

D

Deleted member

If that's the case, it'd be cool to see anything related to Metroid show in a direct or something. Maybe a new Metroid game or Ridley being playable in Smash. Still, Ridley's more or less in the same position as before E3. So there's not much else to do but wait.

A bit off topic, but I seriously want to see some Ganondorf gameplay. A lot of the characters seem to be new and improved in Smash 4, so I can only hope for the same to happen with Ganon.
"We thought Ganondorf was a bit too powerful in Brawl, so we've toned him down a bit."

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Let's keep in mind that everything Sakurai does might not be a part of some unimaginably elaborate Ridley conspiracy. Maybe he just didn't want Pyrosphere in the demo. Ridley is no Sonic or Pacman and his 'reveal' wouldn't cause the waves theirs did so I doubt he's planning some crazy game around his reveal. Sakurai isn't 'unpredictable'. He's just annoying. If Sakurai revealed showed him as an under sized boss in a PotD would that be enough proof that he is not playable or would you guys still be holding out hope on the grounds that he could be both a boss and playable, there could be Meta Ridley, etc

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
When did we learn that? And either way, "one piece left" doesn't mean we no longer have our biggest and most condemning evidence against Bossley. That's really not much of a game changer at all.
In this post.

Here's the image:

We can see the lava pouring out, so I'm assuming there's something that makes it start pouring out some time into the match.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Let's keep in mind that everything Sakurai does might not be a part of some unimaginably elaborate Ridley conspiracy. Maybe he just didn't want Pyrosphere in the demo. Ridley is no Sonic or Pacman and his 'reveal' wouldn't cause the waves theirs did so I doubt he's planning some crazy game around his reveal. Sakurai isn't 'unpredictable'. He's just annoying. If Sakurai revealed showed him as an under sized boss in a PotD would that be enough proof that he is not playable or would you guys still be holding out hope on the grounds that he could be both a boss and playable, there could be Meta Ridley, etc
I agree, Sakurai's totally predictable, I saw that wii fit trainer reveal coming from a mile away.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Ok a question for @ OblivionWolf OblivionWolf

I overheard you saw some rocket things under the pryoshere of the palutena trailer i checked i did not see anything.

(And im guessing you are talking about the purple things.)
Under the platforms you can see little purple things.

Could shoot platforms up like in this video.

http://youtu.be/d1f0bvNhCng?t=1m10s

When did we learn that? And either way, "one piece left" doesn't mean we no longer have our biggest and most condemning evidence against Bossley. That's really not much of a game changer at all.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
He throws in a WTF character or two. He doesn't concoct absurdly circuitous plans to string along fans.
Unless it's about popular newcomers, apparently. :troll: Then he strings them along hard and deconfirms them as terrible bosses.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
For those of you saying Ridley's only requested and well known too people like us on Smashboards, you obviously don't remember that huge meme on miiverse. Anyone remember Bigley? Bigley made all of the dirty casuals that frequent miiverse aware of Ridley, making many of those users want the character that spawned the meme to be playable.

He throws in a WTF character or two. He doesn't concoct absurdly circuitous plans to string along fans.
I dunno man Sakurai's quite the prankster. I could wholeheartedly see him doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Which people forget. People say "Sakurai would never misdirect us like this", even though he did in that same Direct multiple times. There is no "BUT BUT BUT BUT BUUUUT D:" to that. That direct had *NO* butt. None. It can't defecate. Sakurai likes engaging in shenanigans, and that's extremely apparent.

And here we are, with Ridley teased but not confirmed to be anything, we get evidence opening suspicion of Ridley even BEING a boss to begin with, and when E3 rolls around the stages we saw most and for one of the longest periods of time is left out from the demo, so it gets dragged along even longer. It's another shenanigan is what it is. A Sakurai-style shenaniganfest.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Under the platforms you can see little purple things.

Could shoot platforms up like in this video.

http://youtu.be/d1f0bvNhCng?t=1m10s

Unless the platform stop going up before the blast zone, they will be way more dangerous that boss Roidley can ever hope to be.

In short I think it's just here to give the stage more identity just like the platforms on Spear Pillar for exemple have drawing of Palkia and Dialga on them, also it's not like the platforms in smash ever needed rockets to move, they just do it.

D

Deleted member

I honestly think Sakurai's a bit misguided. Notice how there was a 10 month gap between revealing the Yellow Devil and actually detailing what it does. I think he thinks hyping up a boss is a good thing. Hence why Pyrosphere is not playable in the demo.
Could I be wrong? Absolutely. I just think this could explain everything.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I honestly think Sakurai's a bit misguided. Notice how there was a 10 month gap between revealing the Yellow Devil and actually detailing what it does. I think he thinks hyping up a boss is a good thing. Hence why Pyrosphere is not playable in the demo.
Really, most of it didn't need explaining. A lot of what was explained to us could be extrapolated from what we saw. A boss who is either in multiplayer or single player, either way you probably have to attack his eye and beat him.

The only part that needed explaining to us was that he shows up repeatedly and explodes when he dies. It's not exactly hiding hype so much as "not talking about it until later".

D

Deleted member

Really, most of it didn't need explaining. A lot of what was explained to us could be extrapolated from what we saw. A boss who is either in multiplayer or single player, either way you probably have to attack his eye and beat him.

The only part that needed explaining to us was that he shows up repeatedly and explodes when he dies. It's not exactly hiding hype so much as "not talking about it until later".
Yeah, that is true.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
The difference in this situation is that the Yellow Devil was not a heavily requested character. Sakurai knows we want Ridley, I doubt he'd tease us like this just so he could crush our dreams.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The difference in this situation is that the Yellow Devil was not a heavily requested character. Sakurai knows we want Ridley, I doubt he'd tease us like this just so he could crush our dreams.
The issue is more, nobody saw Yellow Devil and went "WOW I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS OR WHAT YELLOW DEVIL WILL DO". Not one person thought that because it made itself PRETTY clear on its own. The only way it would be building hype is if Sakurai was trying to be all, "THESE bosses DO STUFF when you kill them" which is exciting in no universe ever to be totally honest. :p

Stage bosses? Fine and good. The mechanic of the bosses exploding when they die? That was never hyped up and for good reason.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
The issue is more, nobody saw Yellow Devil and went "WOW I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS OR WHAT YELLOW DEVIL WILL DO". Not one person thought that because it made itself PRETTY clear on its own. The only way it would be building hype is if Sakurai was trying to be all, "THESE bosses DO STUFF when you kill them" which is exciting in no universe ever to be totally honest. :p
Actually I remember a lot of debate on Yellow Devil : Stage hazard, Boss, Assist trophy ?

The difference with the Yellow Devil and Ridley is that the Yellow Devil was shown immediatly as a giant character appearing out of nowhere (see Megaman trailer) and then we were given potd not long afterward.

Meanwhile Ridley was teased whatever his role 10 months ago and all we have is a 10 second teaser video of a shadow the size of what could be a playable character and not even his name have yet to have been mentionned so far.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Actually I remember a lot of debate on Yellow Devil : Stage hazard, Boss, Assist trophy ?

The difference with the Yellow Devil and Ridley is that the Yellow Devil was shown immediatly as a giant character appearing out of nowhere (see Megaman trailer) and then we were given potd not long afterward.

Meanwhile Ridley was teased whatever his role 10 months ago and all we have is a 10 second teaser video of a shadow the size of what could be a playable character and not even his name have yet to have been mentionned so far.
I don't remember many people who thought he was an assist trophy, considering the way he appeared. Though I remember a lot of people being under the impression that he was a boss, but they were unsure if he was a stage hazard or single player boss, which is where I saw all of the debate.

But the difference is definitely there, the issue is that Ridley has been presented in a much more ambiguous way and with Twinrova confirmed to not be a boss, he's been presented in a light that is *EXTREMELY different from bosses we know of at the moment. Assuming Dark Emperor is a boss, of course.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
By the way, who did those Ridley models? Any chance you could match the pose that the shadow is doing? (leaning forward, legs down, whilst in the air)

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh, I know, that's a benchmark date. Ridley reveal for August 20th!
So much for appearing "at any second."

Fixed: An enemy from Samus's past could appear approximately one year from now.

Last edited:

Wombatz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Heroicwombat
August 20th
"Now revealing RIDLEY, Our newest assist Trophy

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0215.JPG

Just a random thing to deal with sadness....

:/ Post-E3 sadness is kinda hard to deal with for me, and I'm trying to get back with Ridley and Roidley.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I don't remember many people who thought he was an assist trophy, considering the way he appeared. Though I remember a lot of people being under the impression that he was a boss, but they were unsure if he was a stage hazard or single player boss, which is where I saw all of the debate.

But the difference is definitely there, the issue is that Ridley has been presented in a much more ambiguous way and with Twinrova confirmed to not be a boss, he's been presented in a light that is *EXTREMELY different from bosses we know of at the moment. Assuming Dark Emperor is a boss, of course.
I really want to see more bosses confirmed, because I think and hope that all the bosses will have an obvious weakpoint (like the Yellow Devil's eye) to hit of some sort, because if the bosses are all as slow than the Yellow Devil but can be hurt anytime and anywhere unlike him, then the bosses will go from giant pinata to yamcha level as in "I get killed before I get any chance to attack".
Ridley lacking such an obvious weakpoint, it would bode very well for him if that's what happen.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, he's not wrong. He didn't say "Any second soon" so thereby it could mean any second at any point in the future.
True. But typically the term "any second" is used to say that something could happen any time soon. While it technically can be interpreted literally as "any second," that's usually not how it's used. So Sakurai's statement on the matter, while not wrong, is rather misleading. Quite like Ridley's supposed role in the game.

August 20th
"Now revealing RIDLEY, Our newest assist Trophy
I think this site would pretty much disintegrate if that were to happen.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ridley lacking such an obvious weakpoint, it would bode very well for him if that's what happen.
I hate to say this, but... Isn't Ridley's tail kind of an obvious weak point?

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I hate to say this, but... Isn't Ridley's tail kind of an obvious weak point?
Quite the opposite actually, Ridley's tail have nearly always been the one part of his body which is invincible in Metroid games no matter what you lauch at it, you just can't hurt his tail.
The only exception to this rule are Ridley's boss fights in Brawl and the Mystery creature in Other M.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I feel like a broken record today... He already pulled an antic on us with Zelda and her Down B, making us speculate about it for 4 months.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Clearly while they make Bossley the opposite of a well made or accurate representation of Ridley as a boss they may as well make his tail the ONLY vulnerable part of his body. :p

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
giving head.PNG

HEADS. EXPRESSION, COLOURS
TURTLENECKS

Top Bottom