• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I really want to see more bosses confirmed, because I think and hope that all the bosses will have an obvious weakpoint (like the Yellow Devil's eye) to hit of some sort, because if the bosses are all as slow than the Yellow Devil but can be hurt anytime and anywhere unlike him, then the bosses will go from giant pinata to yamcha level as in "I get killed before I get any chance to attack".
Ridley lacking such an obvious weakpoint, it would bode very well for him if that's what happen.
Yellow Devil is really only 'slow' and has an obvious weakpoint because that's how it is in Mega Man 1.

If you had a boss that could be hit anywhere on their body, I imagine you would balance that by giving them higher defenses or a large health pool.

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
I love how this thread blows all of the other newcomer speculation threads out of the water.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Guys, there is one factor we need to look at that I believe helps Ridley.

Her.

Why do I propose this? Think about it, besides Ridley, she got teased the most by Sakurai (and this is not counting leaks of any kind) and not even all of it was potentially good. Take this PotD for example.

"Pic of the day. You can find this statue of the Goddess of Light in one of the stages. She's watching over the arena."

Kinda sounds like Palutena will just be part of the stage huh? Sure the quote specifies the statue, but without the hindsight it wasn't so obvious back then.

If we add this to the fact that Sakurai has never teased a character to any degree before deconfirmation, then I believe that Palutena's entrance bodes well for our dragon since he has received far more teasing and hinting then Palutena ever got.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
@ majora_787 majora_787 it's so true what you have been preaching though of how pathetic it will actually be.

Watch the video below from 0:36 - 0:46
Bowser kills yellow devil in 3 Forward Aerials
Kills him in like 6 seconds flat.... Wow..
(-_-) is this what Ridley deserves?

Really?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1f0bvNhCng

@ False Sense False Sense I wanted to know if Twinova was normal stage hazard or stage boss of course it was going to be one.

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord

Her.

Why do I propose this? Think about it, besides Ridley, she got teased the most by Sakurai (and this is not counting leaks of any kind) and not even all of it was potentially good. Take this PotD for example.

"Pic of the day. You can find this statue of the Goddess of Light in one of the stages. She's watching over the arena."

Kinda sounds like Palutena will just be part of the stage huh? Sure the quote specifies the statue, but without the hindsight it wasn't so obvious back then.

If we add this to the fact that Sakurai has never teased a character to any degree before deconfirmation, then I believe that Palutena's entrance bodes well for our dragon since he has received far more teasing and hinting then Palutena ever got.
To go along with this, Palutena was the other character besides Ridley that was specifically teased in the Smash Direct.

majora_787

Smash Hero
1. Yes, the palest of all seafood dishes does indeed do favors for Ridley as one of several characters teased via stage reveal only to become playable.

2. The only way this Ridley is harder to hit is by being small. But he's only small for a boss. He's still "large" and only about as hard to hit as Bowser would be.

3. Yes. It's a mess, especially since Ridley is much smaller and on a larger stage and moves around slowly. It's the definition of a mess of a thing and isn't what Ridley deserves.

4. Twinrova isn't a boss, they just show up kind of like Kamek and make things happen.

5. Sakurai you sly dog.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm 5 minutes new here, can someone tell me why August 20 could/will be Ridley's reveal day?
It would be/is the one year anniversary of the Pyrosphere stage reveal/update. Plus August (6th to be specific) is Metroid's anniversary month.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It would be/is the one year anniversary of the Pyrosphere stage reveal/update. Plus August (6th to be specific) is Metroid's anniversary month.
I don't have high hopes for Ridley to be The August Newcomer instead of being saved until the game's release. BUT! But but but.

The good news is, when the direct in August happens, we'll have nearly no time to wait until the game comes out in Japan. So it doesn't matter all that much anyway.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
August 8th is my birthday, and it is on a weekday (Friday). If playable Ridley were announced then... Best birthday ever.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

Her.

"An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second..."

Yep both quotes avoid using there names and are misleading.

Xhampi

Smash Lord

Her.

I thought that you were going to mention her jump glide where she does quite a jump and then hover at high speed while hardly losing height, while everyone goes crazy if you mention that Ridley could hover for a few second and move at Pikachu's walking speed while not losing height.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
@ majora_787 majora_787 it's so true what you have been preaching though of how pathetic it will actually be.

Watch the video below from 0:36 - 0:46
Bowser kills yellow devil in 3 Forward Aerials
Kills him in like 6 seconds flat.... Wow..
(-_-) is this what Ridley deserves?

Really?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1f0bvNhCng

@ False Sense False Sense I wanted to know if Twinova was normal stage hazard or stage boss of course it was going to be one.
Yellow Devil usually doesn't go down that fast in most of the rounds I've seen. Bowser wasn't the only one to hit him in that video either- there was a turret on its side that repeatedly fires up into his eye. In most matches it's a bit harder to do that since you've got other players to contend with. But yeah, Yellow Devil got WRECKED there.

I've noticed a lot of the same points being brought up about bosses in the past. How this "Bossley" is too slow and passive to be a boss since in Brawl he was faster and larger. People seem to have let Brawl shape their expectations on what a boss is in this game and are forgetting that in Smash 4, the goal isn't to beat the boss like in the Subspace Emmisary- the goal is to win the round. Basically bosses in Smash 4 are more of a side act of the matches so we can't expect the same kind of behavior and level of difficulty.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Her.

Yes, I brought up a similar point earlier. The way in which Palutena was ambiguously referred to prior to her reveal is very similar to how Ridley is treated. Both were never once mentioned directly by name, only vaguely referenced, and in a way that almost made it look like they would not be playable.

I've actually noticed what may be a trend; if a character is directly referred to by name without being revealed as playable, that character will not be playable. An example of this would be Viridi, who, if I recall, was referenced by name prior to actually being shown on the 3DS Kid Icarus stage. On the other hand, if a character is referenced without actually being named, it may actually be a hint towards that character being playable. Obviously, this would be Palutena, and it could potentially extend to Ridley and even Mr. Game&Watch. It's something to think about, at least.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yellow Devil usually doesn't go down that fast in most of the rounds I've seen. Bowser wasn't the only one to hit him in that video either- there was a turret on its side that repeatedly fires up into his eye. In most matches it's a bit harder to do that since you've got other players to contend with. But yeah, Yellow Devil got WRECKED there.

I've noticed a lot of the same points being brought up about bosses in the past. How this "Bossley" is too slow and passive to be a boss since in Brawl he was faster and larger. People seem to have let Brawl shape their expectations on what a boss is in this game and are forgetting that in Smash 4, the goal isn't to beat the boss like in the Subspace Emmisary- the goal is to win the round. Basically bosses in Smash 4 are more of a side act of the matches so we can't expect the same kind of behavior and level of difficulty.
The issue is that the point of bosses is for players to need to do any work at all to defeat the boss and reap a benefit that assists in them winning the match. From what has been observed, there is *NOTHING* making Ridley nearly as difficult to content with as Yellow Devil. He is MUCH smaller, MUCH slower, and on a MUCH larger stage. And Ridley generally does not have "A weakpoint" like Yellow Devil, who has to be shot in a small location on his body to be defeated.

The only way this could be BALANCED OUT is if the reward for beating him was either absolutely *NOTHING* in order to give out what you need to put in to beat it, or for RIdley to just not be a boss, because being the size of Bowser and being slow as a character are not default bad things like they are here.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Her.

Technicaly, she's been teased quite heavily, especially with the Pseudo Palutena freak out and the fact that they changed Pit's FS.

Xhampi

Smash Lord

Personally it's not a question of how the bosses in Brawl worked, it's a question of how Other M Ridley boss fight worked.
In Other M, Ridley is a fast, mobile and very agressive boss where he seems to hardly do anything beside slooooooowly flying left in the shadow trailer.
When people tell you for years that Ridley is best represented as a boss, it's nothing short of laughable and disappointing what a sad excuse of a Ridley boss fight we might end up with here.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
And the issue with Pyrosphere isn't even the lava. Ridley takes up a 9th, maybe a 10th of Pyrosphere. Yellow Devil takes up more like a 3rd of Wily's Castle. We've got a serious difference in situations. One is a dangerous temporary problem, and the other is... almost as unassuming as his appearance on Planet Zebes. And if the platforms don't leave when he arrives? It's even WORSE. He flies around at a slow speed ANYONE could out-maneuver, is VERY small for a boss on a VERY large and open stage, and if he were at all accurate to his own appearances (Which he clearly is not), he wouldn't have a weak point. You could just FIRE AT WILL.

This would take LITTLE to NO effort to beat as a stage boss whatsoever unless he either had near un-avoidable attacks that attacked the entire stage which he used with a level of frequency, or had RIDICULOUS amounts of health. BUT if he has tons of health, how will he work? Not like Yellow Devil, who to my knowledge resets his health after he leaves if he isn't defeated fast enough.

So Bossley is just really poorly designed and disappointing, or poorly designed and impossible to deal with? This isn't a good set of options at all, and I *SERIOUSLY* do not believe Sakurai would handle this situation that poorly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good to see this thread optimistic again, I believe Sakurai *knows* what we're thinking, there is enough evidence of that:
-The teasing with Mac, they literally made 2 versions of the same stage just to hide Little Mac's status
-Everything Palutena related
-The Smash Direct, how Sakurai was direct(no pun intended) to us
-The Miis, he even acknowledges stupid requests of celebrities that are made on Miiverse

For those saying Sakurai isn't planning anything by hiding Pyrosphere, it's possible that after being so obvious with Palutena, he's going to make mind games with us, until we lose all hope and then BAM Ridley confirmed
I'll wait the game releases to have my final word on his status, but as for now, I'm more cofident thatn before E3

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Good to see this thread optimistic again, I believe Sakurai *knows* what we're thinking, there is enough evidence of that:
-The teasing with Mac, they literally made 2 versions of the same stage just to hide Little Mac's status
-The Miis, he even acknowledges stupid requests of celebrities that are made on Miiverse

For those saying Sakurai isn't planning anything by hiding Pyrosphere, it's possible that after being so obvious with Palutena, he's going to make mind games with us, until we lose all hope and then BAM Ridley confirmed
I'll wait the game releases to have my final word on his status, but as for now, I'm more cofident thatn before E3
That's exactly what I said! Good to see people can see the sights that my sight see-ers see.

Malle

Smash Apprentice

Before anything is said here, this is how I believe the roster might~ end up like TAKE IT WITH A HANDFUL OF SALT. There are many characters like K Rool and so forth I'd rather see.
This is relevant to Ridley as I will make a few points:

As i've stated before from Sakurai's Interview "He might be a little slow". It can refer to his reveal being slow, and not his playstyle actually (tho he may ofc be slow too). In this roster I have 49 characters. The Random below Wii Fit Trainer I saved for either Shulk/Chorus Men/Whatevs. Concluding if Snake returns to brawl against the big icons (which I think he actually might) we will then have 49 characters as many speculate. 49-51 I heard some people say anyway.

Ridley cannot be a stage hazard after hiding it all. Sakurai has said on several occassions that "He gets many requests" jiddajadda and surely Ridley tops those requests. From a marketting point, it would be foolish to not include a BIG winner to the roster, and not to mention the large villian icon that he is.

Harry9855

Smash Rookie
NNID
yo9855
3DS FC
3265-5509-5736

Yeah, Sakurai really enjoys screwing with us. At this point, I've almost given up on trying to predict him. I do think that Ridley will be in ssb4, but as to whether or not he is announced or will remain a secret, i don't know.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I don't get the "slow to reveal" argument. That quote was made shortly after Brawl, years before development of Smash 4 even began, so how would that connect?

majora_787

Smash Hero

This is closer to how I see the roster panning out with how it's set up more like Melee's than Brawl's, but yeh. Pretty sure Ridley is on it, and pretty sure Sakurai's got plenty up his sleeves for this rooster/chicken/bad joke whatever.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Andrea, we've got more shipping to do.
It maybe funny but it's true that this thread was at its best during the shipping of Ridley

Radley
Rastely
and more!!!
downloadfile-5.png

The stories and art and forms need to come back.

More love stories than twilight
More Evolutions than Eevee
More art than Van goph and Smeargle

It killed a lot of time real fast and was fun and hilarious.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I don't have high hopes for Ridley to be The August Newcomer instead of being saved until the game's release. BUT! But but but.

The good news is, when the direct in August happens, we'll have nearly no time to wait until the game comes out in Japan. So it doesn't matter all that much anyway.
Was going to say it would make more sense if they did reveal Ridley prior to the game and ride the hype train all the way to the bank, but if what people were saying about Japan not being as hyped about Ridley being a possible character, an announcement on or closer to Japan's release would make more sense if people who have a their hands on the Japanese version would reveal the roster anyway =/

Malle

Smash Apprentice
I don't get the "slow to reveal" argument. That quote was made shortly after Brawl, years before development of Smash 4 even began, so how would that connect?
Well. I am not saying its a good argument, simply that it can be worthwhile mentioning.
Sakurai is smart, undeniably so. It wouldn't surprise me if he uses all things he did in the past to indeed connect it all together.
Majorly requested villian character + Slow reveal with huge conspiracy teasing.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
And the issue with Pyrosphere isn't even the lava. Ridley takes up a 9th, maybe a 10th of Pyrosphere. Yellow Devil takes up more like a 3rd of Wily's Castle. We've got a serious difference in situations. One is a dangerous temporary problem, and the other is... almost as unassuming as his appearance on Planet Zebes. And if the platforms don't leave when he arrives? It's even WORSE. He flies around at a slow speed ANYONE could out-maneuver, is VERY small for a boss on a VERY large and open stage, and if he were at all accurate to his own appearances (Which he clearly is not), he wouldn't have a weak point. You could just FIRE AT WILL.

This would take LITTLE to NO effort to beat as a stage boss whatsoever unless he either had near un-avoidable attacks that attacked the entire stage which he used with a level of frequency, or had RIDICULOUS amounts of health. BUT if he has tons of health, how will he work? Not like Yellow Devil, who to my knowledge resets his health after he leaves if he isn't defeated fast enough.

So Bossley is just really poorly designed and disappointing, or poorly designed and impossible to deal with? This isn't a good set of options at all, and I *SERIOUSLY* do not believe Sakurai would handle this situation that poorly.
Well technically we can't prove 100% that the platforms are there.

But the camera angles are just PERFECTLY put in a position were we can't see the platforms or the shadows of the platforms like in a normal view.

But of course people will say... "It's just a coincidence!"

Suspicious camera angles. "It's just a coincidence!"

Ridley's name being avoided. "It's just a coincidence!"

Only showing a shadow. "It's just a coincidence!"

Jerky movement. "It's just a coincidence!"

Tiny shadow. "It's just a coincidence!"

Almost a year ago we seen this stage but still no Ridley. "It's just a coincidence!"

And the list goes on and these coincidences start to add up. If people really believe none of this is a little fishy then I honestly don't take these people serious.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well technically we can't prove 100% that the platforms are there.

But the camera angles are just PERFECTLY put in a position were we can't see the platforms or the shadows of the platforms like in a normal view.

But of course people will say... "It's just a coincidence!"

Suspicious camera angles. "It's just a coincidence!"

Ridley's name being avoided. "It's just a coincidence!"

Only showing a shadow. "It's just a coincidence!"

Jerky movement. "It's just a coincidence!"

Tiny shadow. "It's just a coincidence!"

Almost a year ago we seen this stage but still no Ridley. "It's just a coincidence!"

And the list goes on and these coincidences start to add up. If people really believe none of this is a little fishy then I honestly don't take these people serious.
It's all an INSANELY elaborate coincidence. All of it. *ALL* just an INSANELY elaborate coincidence with NO forethought or planning on ANYONE'S part. It's sheer coincidence that Ridley is The Exception for literally no reason.

This is more likely than Ridley being playable. Somehow. How? Nobody knows yet, but the detractors have had a long time to work on having a valid answer. They might have one ready for us in time for the August direct.

Top Bottom