• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
We'll guys, I. Wish ya luck. I won't be able to watch e3 live and won't be able to see any news about it till about 3 hours after the direct is over. Till then, LEAVE LUCK (and Ridley) TO HEAVEN!
I WILL BE WITH YOU GUYS IN SPIRIT WITH THIS VICTORY SONG IF RIDLEY IS ANNOUNCED! (The first ten seconds of it specifically)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think Ridley has a 50/50 chance. I thiink he will be both playable and a boss.
As much as I would like to believe that, I really doubt that they'd make the small-playable-sized Ridley a boss.

This is the worst part of my over-analysis.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So if Ridley is both playable and a boss and assuming that Roidley is the boss, which Ridley would be playable ?
Another Roidley or good old Super Metroid Ridley ?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
As much as I would like to believe that, I really doubt that they'd make the small-playable-sized Ridley a boss.

This is the worst part of my over-analysis.
Playable Ridley could be the Other M one, boss Ridley could be the same from Brawl, just ported with new improved textures.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
They're static platforms, we have never seen them disappear on vanilla Pyrosphere, and I highly doubt they'd make Pyrosphere be not only a TOUR stage, but a lava-hazard-based stage with a boss so inexplicably awesome that we can't behold its glory despite tons of requests for playability.

Occam's Razor: Ridley's playable, and there's a new lava-based hazard that takes advantage of the large stage.
Occam's Razor? Occam's Razor would have ended this whole discussion with everything Sakurai has said up to this point, with the obvious outcome being that Ridley is a boss. You can't just disregard everything you don't like, point to one vague thing that you have no proof of and throw out "Occam's Razor".

majora_787

Smash Hero
Considering Metroid in its entirety is based around Other M so far here, Playable Ridley would presumably be an altered Other M design. Bossley would use a larger much less changed design.

EDIT: Disregarding information in this thread? Of course that would never happen, especially not here

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
The static platforms and huge size just make tiny Ridley really awkward as a boss if he turns out to be one. What are they plotting? They're up to something.

EDIT: Have we ever had a stage where STATIC platforms that are part of the permament stage layout on a non-moving stage disappear? I don't think so.
Does Wii fit Studio Count?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Occam's Razor? Occam's Razor would have ended this whole discussion with everything Sakurai has said up to this point, with the obvious outcome being that Ridley is a boss. You can't just disregard everything you don't like, point to one vague thing that you have no proof of and throw out "Occam's Razor".
You had to assume that Ridley is a small, choppy boss, with conveniently disappearing platforms, with a lava hazard, and assume Sakurai genuinely thinks teasing a highly wanted character as a boss is the obvious solution.

I had to assume Ridley is playable, and that there's a lava hazard.

majora_787

Smash Hero
LOL, Ridley could chase Kirby on his warp star and eat him. That would be kinda cool.
Not if he's a boss he can't. ;D /jokes

But yeh. I hope that Ridley's Kirby hat isn't like Charizard's, I hope it looks like Kirby in Ridley's mouth and is just a big Ridley head as a costume. That would be fantastic.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You had to assume that Ridley is a small, choppy boss, with conveniently disappearing platforms, with a lava hazard, and assume Sakurai genuinely thinks teasing a highly wanted character as a boss is the obvious solution.

'eh, I think its possible Kraid might be the boss instead and he comes out of the lava. Kraid would certainly be an easier boss to handle, just slapped his hands on the stage and shooting out spikes from his belly. Ridley has so many more attacks that it'd require a lot more attention to detail for a simple boss. And Kraid was animated in Brinstar Depths, so I certainly don't see how he couldn't be animated here either.

Not if he's a boss he can't. ;D /jokes

But yeh. I hope that Ridley's Kirby hat isn't like Charizard's, I hope it looks like Kirby in Ridley's mouth and is just a big Ridley head as a costume. That would be fantastic.
Kirby's hat should look like the top of Ridley's head I think.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
As much as I'd love to see Kraid again, Vorash and Goyagma are actually lava-dwelling Pyrosphere bosses. I'm thinking we may see one of those clowns.

EDIT: I guess, I just wanted something ridiculous looking and not a purple Charizard hat. :p But whatever works. We've had much more similar hats before.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been on here in a while, but I'm still very optimistic about Ridley's chances. I like to think that 9 months of teasing actually results in anything.
E3 would be the perfect place to reveal him. Sakurai has the opportunity to make a huge reveal and hopefully he'll make use of that.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
'eh, I think its possible Kraid might be the boss instead and he comes out of the lava. Kraid would certainly be an easier boss to handle, just slapped his hands on the stage and shooting out spikes from his belly. Ridley has so many more attacks that it'd require a lot more attention to detail for a simple boss. And Kraid was animated in Brinstar Depths, so I certainly don't see how he couldn't be animated here either.
I doubt it, for a couple reasons:

Kraid didn't appear in Other M.

Brinstar Depths was a big, open cave, and Pyrosphere is a little cramped for the poor guy.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Like I said, it's not because I dislike Pac-Man. It's because I hate the Sal leak. I'd be equally satisfied with a Palutena deconfirmation. While I don't dislike Pac-Man, I despise Palutena.
Omg this!!!!!!!!|

Except I do dislike the pac-man (with eyes and arms).

D

Deleted member

Kraid is the boss. I thought it was confirmed that Kraid shows up and attacks people with a Ridley sock puppet. Or maybe they showed us the boss already; that's right everyone. Ridley's Shadow is the Pyrosphere boss!

*chipmunk.gif*

Last edited by a moderator:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I was just thinking about that the other day.

"The boss in the Pyrosphere stage is a well known enemy form Samus and pretty much one of the more iconic bosses in the series: it's gargantuan, vicious and deadly... Kraid! Also, Ridley is playable"

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman

You also have to assume that Sakurai is playing some bizarre, long-term mind-game, that Sakurai is a complete liar, that there are TWO Ridleys, that Ridley has some kind of permanent flight mechanic, that just because Ridley is smaller means he can't be a sensible boss, etc.

All I have to assume is that the creator of the game's implications have truth in them. That 'other boss characters appear', showing Ridley's shadow on the stage Pyrosphere, the origin game from which he is a boss on, with a note that 'an enemy from Samus past may appear', follows the most logical outcome. The other things you mentioned are either subjective or just plain not a barrier to my belief anyway.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You also have to assume that Sakurai is playing some bizarre, long-term mind-game, that Sakurai is a complete liar, that there are TWO Ridleys, that Ridley has some kind of permanent flight mechanic, that just because Ridley is smaller means he can't be a sensible boss, etc.

All I have to assume is that the creator of the game's implications have truth in them. That 'other boss characters appear', showing Ridley's shadow on the stage Pyrosphere, the origin game from which he is a boss on, with a note that 'an enemy from Samus past may appear', follows the most logical outcome. The other things you mentioned are either subjective or just plain not a barrier to my belief anyway.
Two Ridleys? The hell are you talking about?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Except Sakurai wouldn't be lying. He said bosses appear on other stages. He didn't say it was Ridley or it was on Pyrosphere.

Two Ridleys? The hell are you talking about?
He's assuming we're thinking that Ridley is both a boss and a playable character, not that Ridley was never a boss to begin with.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This 'playable Ridley'/'boss Ridley' doppelganger theory that the Ridley fans have cooked up. Roidley? I don't remember.
Very select few I know of actually believe that. As far as I'm concerned, Ridley's either playable or he's a boss. He certainly doesn't move like a boss in that preview at all and he's greatly decreased in size. Its a huge slap in the face to resize Ridley but still make him a boss.

I like how real people still assume a "permanent flight" mechanic from nine seconds of footage
Lol of course its not. Ridley may have a mechanic where he can hover in spot briefly like Peach, but he can certainly fly higher as well, and shadows don't change in size the higher a character is.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I like how real people still assume a "permanent flight" mechanic from nine seconds of footage
It just looks like a grab attack to me. And Pikachu isn't making any attempts to break free and Ridley isn't making an attempt to attack.
Pretty weird actually. Even level 1 CPU's try to inflict damage after they've grabbed someone.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It just looks like a grab attack to me. And Pikachu isn't making any attempts to break free and Ridley isn't making an attempt to attack.
Pretty weird actually. Even level 1 CPU's try to inflict damage after they've grabbed someone.
Though we don't know if Ridley actually DID grab Pikachu in the footage. But there is so much evidence against a boss appearance other than that that it doesn't matter.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You know what's ironic? The most bosslike characteristic Ridley appears to have (grabbing Pikachu in midair) is what cements Ridley as a playable character for me. If he DIDN'T do that, I would have a little doubt.

Top Bottom