• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I have full confidence that the Pyrosphere will make an appearance at e3, but since the Wii U release date is so far off (and I believe the Boss Hazards mechanic is being hyped up a bit for it) I don't have confidence that the bosses themselves will appear in any form at e3, as they may save them for later closer to the Wii U game's actual release. So for me I'm kind of expecting even more ambiguous Ridley status after e3.

Now, if at the invitational Pyrosphere and boss hazards are available, and Ridley appears, then I would deduce that he would be for all intents and purposes deconfirmed until the 3DS version releases so that we can see the final roster.
I'm with you im even if ridley is a hazard im not buying deconfirmed until i see a final roster.(thats real and hes not in it.)

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I seriously do not believe they are going to remove SELECT hazards from stages. That is the most bizarre prediction I've heard in a while to be completely honest. I'm at a point where if Pyrosphere is there and does have Ridley, then I would call him deconfirmed. But if Pyrosphere is one of extremely few or THE ONLY missing stage, OR if Pyrosphere doesn't have Ridley, I would call it a confirmation.

EDIT: Though since Ridley is more than likely going to be confirmed or deconfirmed by the direct, I imagine we will see him confirmed the morning before the demo which is significantly later in the day on that day. Conveniently enough.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
There's a strong chance that Boss Hazards may not be available on the 3DS(as far as I know, the Dark Emperor is as much a boss hazard as the Shyguys were in the Yoshi's Island stage). If that's the case, then even if a Wii screenshot has Ridley, or there's video of him, if it doesn't exist on the 3DS, he's confirmed boss until we see footage of him on 3DS. Since Pyrosphere has been getting mad hyped by Sakurai and he keeps teasing Ridley ON THAT STAGE, that lends a lot of evidence to him being the Boss Hazard of that stage. It is very unlikely that Pyrosphere appears on the 3DS version, given we have not seen a Metroid equivalent on 3DS. You would think he'd have tossed out Metroid's 3DS representative stage, but it remains cloaked in enigma. If Ridley were playable, wouldn't it make sense to tease the 3DS Metroid stage a little in a POTD and drop another little hint? So given that he's relentlessly hyping Pyrosphere every time he mentions Ridley, I'm rather sure he's a Boss Hazard. Sakurai's hyping Ridley the same way Inafune would be hyping up Mr. X or Dr. Cossack when any Mega Man fan KNEW it was Wily all along, as a 'mysterious enemy that's super-powerful and can't you wait to see them in next-gen HD!'

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still don't understand this bizarre logic of, "Hey you guys know that character you really want playable who we even designed in a way to make them much more playable than in other games? Well we went ahead and made them NOT PLAYABLE! Aren't you happy? Being not playable and being playable are practically the SAME THING! You should be SO EXCITED!"

It's like the most bizarre logic I've ever heard and I really am concerned that real people think it makes sense.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I still don't understand this bizarre logic of, "Hey you guys know that character you really want playable who we even designed in a way to make them much more playable than in other games? Well we went ahead and made them NOT PLAYABLE! Aren't you happy? Being not playable and being playable are practically the SAME THING! You should be SO EXCITED!"

It's like the most bizarre logic I've ever heard and I really am concerned that real people think it makes sense.
That's not what Sakurai and company are hyping. They're hyping the fight, not the character. "Oh man, bet you can't wait to see the super-powered attacks this MYSTERIOUS DRAGON is going to throw your way! Will you ally with your opponents or stab them in the back during this frentic fight?!" That's what they're counting on to sell it.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
To be honest, I do not like Sakurai. Wasn't he awhile ago complaining about doing some part of the game by himself? or it was something about he was getting pains from doing something by himself. You know thats why you have a TEAM. Stop complaining.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Advocating for Satan, but the Twinrova Sisters are playable-sized.

Wait, hold on, change of topic: Why the platforms? Ridley never had platforms in his bossfights. Though he does occasionally have pits of lava on either end.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
To be honest, I do not like Sakurai. Wasn't he awhile ago complaining about doing some part of the game by himself? or it was something about he was getting pains from doing something by himself. You know thats why you have a TEAM. Stop complaining.

Wait, hold on, change of topic: Why the platforms? Ridley never had platforms in his bossfights. Though he does occasionally have pits of lava on either end.
Didn't he have them in Brawl?

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero

The difference is, Twinrova was explicitly shown and not hinted at whatsoever, and was shown in a non-playable manner.

If we have a character who is being EXTREMELY strangely hinted at unlike every other character who has not been proven or confirmed to be anything but is conveniently resized VERY thoroughly to a playable size, it gets really strange.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Didn't he have them in Brawl?
Nope. In fact, he had a big, open space that allowed him to attack from the background a la Master Hand.

And to be honest, though an impressive battlefield in Other M, the Pyrosphere looks a mite bit crowded now.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Not only does it have platforms, but Ridley is REALLY small compared to how big he was in Brawl. Which makes this really weird for several reasons. He's playable-sized on a really large open stage, and what? Does he have to use the platforms too? :p

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
The difference is, Twinrova was explicitly shown and not hinted at whatsoever, and was shown in a non-playable manner.

If we have a character who is being EXTREMELY strangely hinted at unlike every other character who has not been proven or confirmed to be anything but is conveniently resized VERY thoroughly to a playable size, it gets really strange.
The thing is that his infamy works against him as much as it works for him. Teasing him as a boss makes sense in a sense because players who may not consider Ridley to be playable material can hype themselves up on the idea of 'holy crap powerful dragon-thing to fight with or against my friends at the same time!' Because his shape is so recognizably boss-like, he appears very imposing to players regardless of if they know who he is or not. So they probably don't see a single problem with hyping up the boss fight with him because 'people will think it's really cool to fight a powerful dragon and fans of him will love to see him in HD so we can tease that, too!'

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
Not only does it have platforms, but Ridley is REALLY small compared to how big he was in Brawl. Which makes this really weird for several reasons. He's playable-sized on a really large open stage, and what? Does he have to use the platforms too? :p
So it will be really awkward to see a small ridley fly through platforms. Hmmm, that is really wierd.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Pretty much the only thing I don't understand is why make the Pyrosphere battlefield so large. It's apparently large enough to justify shrinking it down for Final Destination, and the platforms are too far apart to make a traditional rising lava hazard manageable.

What is the level were talking about? I want to look this up

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wow, in Brawl, like most bosses he took up about 1/4 of the stage if not more. That's VERY clearly not the case now. Though do we know if Pyrosphere is larger or smaller than this?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Wow, in Brawl, like most bosses he took up about 1/4 of the stage if not more. That's VERY clearly not the case now. Though do we know if Pyrosphere is larger or smaller than this?
Well, the Pyrosphere is friggin HUGE.

It's so goddamn big, that it needed to be shrunk down for the FD version. Which makes me wonder what the hell kind of actual hazard is in store to justify a stage of THIS size.

pyrosphere.png

Last edited:

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
If your want to compare the size of both stages, Pyrosphere seems to be about 3/4 the length of Ridleys stage in brawl. The shadow makes Ridley seem to be about the size of bowser with wings.

You put Brawl Ridley in Pyrosphere he would take up almost half the stage.

Edit: Maybe Pyrosphere might be alil more longer.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm pretty sure Ridley will be playable if he is that small.

If Ridley is a boss, the only way you can have him is big. Anything else would unacceptable.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Man, I really hope Ridley is confirmed in 6 days, just to rub it on the face of a few users on SmashGAF.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Ridley will be playable if he is that small.

If Ridley is a boss, the only way you can have him is big. Anything else would unacceptable.
Nobody wants a small, slow boss Ridley on a huge stage that probably has a lava hazard. That just sounds like a bad time for everyone. xD

And honestly, I'm considering Ridley confirmed (personally, by myself) just because of the teasing AND his size. There is no way they would make Ridley a Bowser-sized boss in my opinion.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
Nobody wants a small, slow boss Ridley on a huge stage that probably has a lava hazard. That just sounds like a bad time for everyone. xD

And honestly, I'm considering Ridley confirmed (personally, by myself) just because of the teasing AND his size. There is no way they would make Ridley a Bowser-sized boss in my opinion.
Dont just think about the size, his animation was awful for a boss. To me it seemed as if he did his upB that was similar to pits, moved to the center for his shadow, stopped suddenly, then flew casually to the left.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I haven't posted here but I normally lurk because of how fun it is in this thread.
I'll go ahead and say that I expect Ridley for E3.
For one, the shadow isn't as big as the video makes it seem.
And two, I never saw Sakurai tease a deconfirmation, it doesn't seem like his style.

Staarih

Smash Master
The thing is, if Ridley is a stage boss on Pyrosphere, he'd have to be a boss, or have similar status, on the 3DS as well. We don't know what the 3DS Metroid stage is, but there's no way they're NOT going to have Ridley in a big, or similar, role in that version. Sure, he may be a stage boss on the 3DS too (maybe the reason we haven't seen the stage yet) or in Smash Run or something, but to have him playable in both versions seems like a simpler way to go, not to mention the best way to represent him.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Dont just think about the size, his animation was awful for a boss. To me it seemed as if he did his upB that was similar to pits, moved to the center for his shadow, stopped suddenly, then flew casually to the left.
His movement did seem pretty jerky and character-like, which is also weird. And this is all even happening because Sakurai is treating him in a way he has treated almost NO other character, and has treated *NO* other character who came out unplayable.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
The thing is, if Ridley is a stage boss on Pyrosphere, he'd have to be a boss, or have similar status, on the 3DS as well. We don't know what the 3DS Metroid stage is, but there's no way they're NOT going to have Ridley in a big, or similar, role in that version. Sure, he may be a stage boss on the 3DS too (maybe the reason we haven't seen the stage yet) or in Smash Run or something, but to have him playable in both versions seems like a simpler way to go, not to mention the best way to represent him.
I actually don't think that's a strike against his boss status. Yellow Devil's a boss on Wily Castle, yet we've not seen Megaman's 3DS-variant, and it's incredibly unlikely he'd show anywhere else. Also, we haven't seen 3DS footage of Yellow Devil at ALL. So I don't think Boss Hazards are in 3DS, which means Ridley's continual teasing on Pyrosphere(a Wii U-exclusive stage) is a black mark against his playability.

Reila

I actually don't think that's a strike against his boss status. Yellow Devil's a boss on Wily Castle, yet we've not seen Megaman's 3DS-variant, and it's incredibly unlikely he'd show anywhere else. Also, we haven't seen 3DS footage of Yellow Devil at ALL. So I don't think Boss Hazards are in 3DS, which means Ridley's continual teasing on Pyrosphere(a Wii U-exclusive stage) is a black mark against his playability.
Isn't the Dragon in the Find Mii stage a boss hazard, though? I think both version will have (exclusive) bosses.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley is teased with ambiguity unlike every other character who is deconfirmed outright. This means that he is actually SUPER-deconfirmed, and the hinting is happening because Sakurai is actually deconfirming Ridley for the NEXT smash as well. He made Ridley a playable size to spite us because he's a jerk.

He also lied to us about a lot of characters. He's cut more than twenty characters from Brawl because he wants to cater to people who want significantly fewer veterans for better balance, just like how he's catering to the random miiverse users who can't fathom Ridley being playable.

/thinly veiled and slightly passive-aggressive sarcasm

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Ridley has been more then a trophy in every Smash game to date

Background in 64
Opening in Melee
Boss twice in Brawl

If he isn't playable, then he has to be something on the 3DS version.

Reila

Background in 64
Opening in Melee
Boss twice in Brawl

He will be a stage on the 3DS version.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Isn't the Dragon in the Find Mii stage a boss hazard, though? I think both version will have (exclusive) bosses.
It's unclear, because we haven't seen the characters fighting it, nor did it show in the 'other boss appearances' section of the Yellow Devil segment. It may be an invincible stage hazard, a simple background element, or a Boss Hazard. Stages being separate though strongly suggest that boss characters will not be on both consoles(or if a boss is on one console, it won't appear on its counterpart). Since Sakurai has not only NOT revealed a 3DS Metroid stage, AND that Ridley's presence has only been teased at on Pyrosphere(because there are several 3DS-possibility levels that Ridley could appear on. Ceres Station, Norfair Depths, BSL Sector 1), that Ridley may be not just a Boss Hazard, but a Wii U-exclusive Boss Hazard.

Morbi

Scavenger

Background in 64
Opening in Melee
Boss twice in Brawl

As everyone already mentioned, he will probably be a stage boss on another Metroid stage for some arbitrary reason.
/sarcasm

Just in case that was not clear.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
There's a strong chance that Boss Hazards may not be available on the 3DS(as far as I know, the Dark Emperor is as much a boss hazard as the Shyguys were in the Yoshi's Island stage). If that's the case, then even if a Wii screenshot has Ridley, or there's video of him, if it doesn't exist on the 3DS, he's confirmed boss until we see footage of him on 3DS. Since Pyrosphere has been getting mad hyped by Sakurai and he keeps teasing Ridley ON THAT STAGE, that lends a lot of evidence to him being the Boss Hazard of that stage. It is very unlikely that Pyrosphere appears on the 3DS version, given we have not seen a Metroid equivalent on 3DS. You would think he'd have tossed out Metroid's 3DS representative stage, but it remains cloaked in enigma. If Ridley were playable, wouldn't it make sense to tease the 3DS Metroid stage a little in a POTD and drop another little hint? So given that he's relentlessly hyping Pyrosphere every time he mentions Ridley, I'm rather sure he's a Boss Hazard. Sakurai's hyping Ridley the same way Inafune would be hyping up Mr. X or Dr. Cossack when any Mega Man fan KNEW it was Wily all along, as a 'mysterious enemy that's super-powerful and can't you wait to see them in next-gen HD!'
That would make him incredibly ignorant of the fanbase's desires, and he's already proven that wrong before with Sonic, Mega Man, Little Mac, the removal of tripping, and FD stages.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
That would make him incredibly ignorant of the fanbase's desires, and he's already proven that wrong before with Sonic, Mega Man, Little Mac, the removal of tripping, and FD stages.
You say this, but the Mewtwo cut happened, and TL keeps happening. Unless the fans didn't realize they wanted Mewtwo cut for Brawl.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You say this, but the Mewtwo cut happened, and TL keeps happening. Unless the fans didn't realize they wanted Mewtwo cut for Brawl.
People generally didn't like Mewtwo before Brawl, and Toon Link still has a fanbase of his own. Also, Sakurai seemingly considers it important to have both an adult Link and a child Link in each game since Melee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom