• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Instead of people hating Ridley, why not Miis?
Am I the only one excited by the possibility of Miis being a Mokujin character?

It's the best-case scenario, really. Mokujin-character fans get to have their fun, and people can create and play as characters such Dante from Devil May Cry if they want so long as they're okay with him occasionally being an inflatable head or licking people and pooping them out as an egg.

GloriousV

Smash Cadet
To be honest I think 1 newcomer and 1 veteran is way to little. I mean its obvious that Nintendo is relying on Smash 4 to move Wii U's, so being conservative is the last thing Nintendo wants to be now. They have to bring the ULTIMATE HYPE! for E3 if they want to get people interested in the Wii U and Smash 4 is a huge part of that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well at the Smash Direct we got 4 veterans and 1 newcomer
E3 being a whole load bigger than that, I'm personally expecting at least 3 veterans and 3 Newcomers
Captain Falcon, Wario, Mewtwo
Ridley, Shulk,....Pa *hup*...PaUHRK...oh god, ju..just gimmie a minute *URP* I'm gonna throw...
.....Paaaaaaaaa....MII, We'll see Mii's dammit
And if we don't see Miis?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
To be honest, I can't see Ness, Jigglypuff, or Captain Falcon coming to E3. They are secret characters and should remain secret until Release date. Then again, Sakurai leaked Ness back in Brawl.... (And no, Luigi was only revealed, a secret character, because of Year of Luigi)
explainthis.png

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
MOTHER's basically dead, and F-Zero is dormant, so it makes sense that no characters or stages have been promoted.

Not saying they're cut, but marketing-wise, it makes sense that Ness and Falcon wouldn't exactly be promoted with new stages.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I strongly believe that the fate of Ridley will be decided at E3. I also believe the same for Pac-Man and Mii, as this is literally their only opportunity left to be given a dramatic reveal. And in the former's case, considering that every third-party newcomer in the series was given their own trailer and word that they'll be playable before release, if he isn't confirmed at E3 he should be considered deconfirmed.

Miis are...hard to say. It's possible they could be revealed in the mean time between E3 and SSB43DS's release, but the chances of that happening are really low.

Do anyone of you think Sal Romano is going to leak more newcomers before E3? If he is, how would you react if he leaked Ridley?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
...Is there some sort of bias against these characters here? If so, why?
No these are actually characters I very much would like.
I guess I'd just like for Isaac to be announced at E3 over the others.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I strongly believe that the fate of Ridley will be decided at E3. I also believe the same for Pac-Man and Mii, as this is literally their only opportunity left to be given a dramatic reveal. And in the former's case, considering that every third-party newcomer in the series was given their own trailer and word that they'll be playable before release, if he isn't confirmed at E3 he should be considered deconfirmed.

Miis are...hard to say. It's possible they could be revealed in the mean time between E3 and SSB43DS's release, but the chances of that happening are really low.

Do anyone of you think Sal Romano is going to leak more newcomers before E3? If he is, how would you react if he leaked Ridley?
I imagine we'll get another round of vague guess looking leaked characters that gets one or two kind of right and all the others will be no where to be seen and everyone will marvel over how "legit" the leak is.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
You know what?
It's E3 SPECULATION TIME.
I suspect the newcomers revealed at E3 WILL BE:
Ridley
Palutena
And another completely unsuspected newcomer (Savvy Stylist, maybe?)
Because that's what they did last E3.
As for veterans, I predict that we will see a few. Captain Falcon, Ness, Some other un-unlockables, will all be revealed. This may be the time Meta Knight is revealed. Keep yourself on the lookout for overpowered Blue Kirbies in masks.
Alright?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I don't really believe the leak, so I would feel fairly indifferent. At the very least, in the event that the leak is real, it would be good news.

However, I'm going to make the claim that Sal will never "leak" Ridley, even if he is in the game.

majora_787

Smash Hero
One newcomer? At E3? I suppose you believe that to be Ridley, correct?
To explain it, I mean Ridley or some other newcomer and whatever third party we get, be it Snake or a newcomer. So basically:

1) Ridley and Snake
2) Ridley and new 3rd party
3) Other Newcomer and Snake
4) Other Newcomer and new 3rd party

But I'm just a pessimist about major Smash news. I thought we would get one newcomer and MAYBE one veteran out of the Smash direct, and nothing else. I turned out pretty wrong all in all.

EDIT: In terms of Ness and Captain Falcon and unlockability, Melee is the odd one out here. In Smash 64 and Brawl, Ness and Captain Falcon were unlockable characters not brought up prior to the game's release officially.

EDIT 2: I'm under the impression that every leak we have gotten so far is extremely fake now that the 50 character roster leak was deconfirmed by the tourney roster.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what?
It's E3 SPECULATION TIME.
I suspect the newcomers revealed at E3 WILL BE:
Ridley
Palutena
And another completely unsuspected newcomer (Savvy Stylist, maybe?)
Because that's what they did last E3.
As for veterans, I predict that we will see a few. Captain Falcon, Ness, Some other un-unlockables, will all be revealed. This may be the time Meta Knight is revealed. Keep yourself on the lookout for overpowered Blue Kirbies in masks.
Alright?
I've been thinking about it lately, and I've noticed that E3 last year we got 3 newcomers and 9 vet reveals (yes I know we probably got this many because anything less would've been way too few for a first reveal trailer), and during the Smash Direct we got 4 vets and 1 newcomer reveal.

Since this E3 the games are much closer to completion, so much information has already been released, and because there are 3 separate times where Smash is involved (Digital Event, Invitational, 90 min. Q&A). I would ideally be expecting 3-4 newcomers coupled with 4-5 vets total (of course this is probably a drastic overestimation).

So anyways, on to my predictions (and this goes slightly off how last year's E3 went):
Newcomers:
Ridley (The REALLY BIG Hype Machine) :shades:
Chrom/Robin (Strong Support, not a one character hype machine, however)
Someone out of nowhere (Chorus Men is my guess, unfortunately)
K. Rool (The other Hype Machine)

Veterans:
Mewtwo (The BIG Hype Machine)
Captain Falcon (Hype Machine)
Ganondorf (hopefully decloned)
Ness
Meta Knight

I realize these predictions are more than idealistic (although I don't want Chorus Men), but I thought I would offer my thoughts on the matter.

EDIT: I relabeled Ridley and Captain Falcon to satisfy @ Bravetriforcer Bravetriforcer and @ Khoru Khoru . :seuss:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
With E3 newcomers, I'm banking on Ridley wearing Chrombrero with Palutena in his arms. As far as E3 vets, I'm seriously thinking Snake is gonna shine there. Konami and Nintendo's press conferences are on the 10th, with Microsoft and Sony on the 9th. Konami's twitter announced that "Snake returns" at E3 on June 10th. While it's likely referring to the fact Big Boss "Returns" after a 10 year coma, it does seem a little odd to be hyping up the return of Snake in a game we already know exists and has Snake return. The date, wording, and Sakujima just makes one wonder if there's a double meaning there. It's sounds really stupid I'm aware, but I put nothing past Metal Gear Solid marketing.

That or it's Solid Snake in MGSV out of nowhere.

I've been thinking about it lately, and I've noticed that E3 last year we got 3 newcomers and 9 vet reveals (yes I know we probably got this many because anything less would've been way too few for a first reveal trailer), and during the Smash Direct we got 4 vets and 1 newcomer reveal.

Since this E3 the games are much closer to completion, so much information has already been released, and because there are 3 separate times where Smash is involved (Digital Event, Invitational, 90 min. Q&A). I would ideally be expecting 3-4 newcomers coupled with 4-5 vets total (of course this is probably a drastic overestimation).

So anyways, on to my predictions (and this goes slightly off how last year's E3 went):
Newcomers:
Ridley (The Hype Machine)

Veterans:
Captain Falcon
Ness
Meta Knight

I realize these predictions are more than idealistic (although I don't want Chorus Men), but I thought I would offer my thoughts on the matter.
I fail to see how in any possible scenario Captain Falcon wouldn't also be a hype machine.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't want to get my hopes up, considering Brawl at E3 2006 showed what. Five veterans and five newcomers, and came back to E3 2007 and showed Fox. And that'd be it. Sure character reveals on the Dojo happened from that June to October when the demo happened, but I don't really want to expect too much. All I expect is answers to the 3rd party and Ridley situations, and I only expect the latter because of the demo.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Newcomers:
Ridley (The Hype Machine)

Veterans:
Captain Falcon
Ness
Meta Knight
i think the BIG hype machine has been mislabeled :troll:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to get my hopes up, considering Brawl at E3 2006 showed what. Five veterans and five newcomers, and came back to E3 2007 and showed Fox. And that'd be it. Sure character reveals on the Dojo happened from that June to October when the demo happened, but I don't really want to expect too much. All I expect is answers to the 3rd party and Ridley situations, and I only expect the latter because of the demo.
Well, there was a wider gap between E3 and Brawl's original release. This time around the 3DS version will come out not too long after this E3, they should have more finished material to show.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
The key difference between E3 2014 and E3 2007 is how well Nintendo's console is doing. In 2007 they could rest on their laurels, release whatever the **** and still make more money than anything. In 2014? Not so much.

You know the phrase "Having an ace in the hole?"

Considering the Wii U's state of sales, Mario Kart 8's recent success, and Nintendo's desire to make people happy, E3 2014 seems to be set up to do the following.

Take their gatling gun of hype.

gat.jpg

Fill that ***** with aces.

And spray us with hype all over so we break down and buy a God damn Wii U already.

So I feel we'll get better than a single veteran we knew was coming back anyway.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
My issue is I just don't want to hype up for the second E3 of smash considering the last one. I'll probably be wrong but shrug, I'll find out when it happens in far too many days

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
I believe that if Ridley is playable he is either going to be announced at the end of the smash bros section of the direct or they are going to announce him within the last month of the 3DS version.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I believe that if Ridley is playable he is either going to be announced at the end of the smash bros section of the direct or they are going to announce him within the last month of the 3DS version.
I'm thinking if Ridley is announced, he will be announced on the 11th in that very large gap of time prior to the 4pm (local) demos.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I hope E3 is interrupted and hijacked by the reveal of several villains. Halberd with a Kremling Crew, Star Wolf with Space Pirates, Ganon giving Hades a piggyback ride...Bowser and Dedede bowing down to a pokemon with a savage heart... Something wicked.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Just spitballing here, but what if Ridley was revealed right at the end of the invitational? Think about it, you've got thousands of people watching, and the winner thinks it's over, then Sakurai fittingly comes up to announce one more challenge. He stands before a giant screen, picks up a controller, presses a button, and bam, playable Ridley appears to take on the winner.

It's a great moment for a climatic hype drive. Sure the likes of Mewtwo or K. Rool or Palutena might work, but those are all characters that most are expecting.

Ridley however has the perfect combination of being a popular character (particularly in the West), and the fact that practically nobody expects him because most believe he was deconfirmed. A golden opportunity if you ask me, yet then again Nintendo has passed up plenty of golden opportunities before...

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I hope E3 is interrupted and hijacked by the reveal of several villains. Halberd with a Kremling Crew, Star Wolf with Space Pirates, Ganon giving Medusa a piggyback ride...Bowser and Dedede bowing down to a pokemon with a savage heart... Something wicked.
It'd definitely be a great Smash Bros. reveal to be the Villain Reveal, that's for sure. It'd be a complete hype monster.

EDIT: Wait a second. Ganon... Piggyback... I see what you did there. :troll:

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
It'd definitely be a great Smash Bros. reveal to be the Villain Reveal, that's for sure. It'd be a complete hype monster.

EDIT: Wait a second. Ganon... Piggyback... I see what you did there. :troll:
And I see you chose to misquote me saying Medusa over Hades...

Choosing your gf over Hades... Good choice Wazowski. (seriously, Hades is TOO boss)

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
And I see you chose to misquote me saying Medusa over Hades...

Choosing your gf over Hades... Good choice Wazowski. (seriously, Hades is TOO boss)
It's not a misquote if my version's more accurate. :troll:

Jokes aside, I'd love to see a villains reveal with Ridley included. Though for some reason I don't see Nintendo doing that. I'd love to be wrong about that though.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
Damn it I want tomorrow to be over with since it is my last day at the college for this semester which means one more final to take, and then I can start getting hyped for E3. I cant wait for it to be next Tuesday already.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If there are any more 3rd party characters in the game then we WILL see them at E3. pac-man
That's one of my three bets. Not on Pac-Man, but that three things will be known.

1) Ridley's fate, thanks to the demo.
2) Our lineup of third party characters.
3) The release date of the 3DS version.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
That's one of my three bets. Not on Pac-Man, but that three things will be known.

Has Sakurai ever mentioned a online mode for the 3DS version or is that exclusive to the Wii U?

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice

That list is pretty much what I'm looking forward to.
I love speculation, but on the other hand I want us to have a more solid understanding of the content we're getting.

Zynux

Smash Lord
I have full confidence that the Pyrosphere will make an appearance at e3, but since the Wii U release date is so far off (and I believe the Boss Hazards mechanic is being hyped up a bit for it) I don't have confidence that the bosses themselves will appear in any form at e3, as they may save them for later closer to the Wii U game's actual release. So for me I'm kind of expecting even more ambiguous Ridley status after e3.

Now, if at the invitational Pyrosphere and boss hazards are available, and Ridley appears, then I would deduce that he would be for all intents and purposes deconfirmed until the 3DS version releases so that we can see the final roster.

Top Bottom