• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
This comic, then Little Birdie, but shrinking him a little bit is what would actually "ruin" him?
How does a non-canon comic ruin Ridley? Besides, his portrayal in the comic is actually pretty interesting.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
How does a non-canon comic ruin Ridley? Besides, his portrayal in the comic is actually pretty interesting.
The comics are actually endorsed by Sakamoto, they are more canon than the Metroid Prime games.

I dont actually think that panel ruins him, Im just wondering how people think a resize would be more damning to the character than some of the stuff that he has been through.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Mewtwo and Charizard didn't need downsizing.
Why are you bringing this up from 40 pages ago? People don't seem to get this. Downsizing a character is not difficult. It *REALLY* is not. People go off on their ithings and whatevers about how "THE SIZE ISN'T THE PROBLEM" because people are slowly growing some semblance of common sense and realizing, "Wow. Characters actually get resized for Smash all the time, the actual size of things really DOESN'T matter! But we need an excuse anyway."

So then they bring up things like, "BUT RIDLEY HAS WINGS!" even though wings are obviously fully capable of being folded up, and we have had characters with wings in the past that work perfectly fine. "BUT RIDLEY HAS A TAIL AND IT MAKES HIM A LONG CHARACTER!" Mewtwo and Charizard are large but long characters due to their tails. And at this point I'm thinking Ridley's tail would work like Diddy Kong's anyway, and would simply be coiled close to the back and not be a hitbox.

"BUT RIDLEY'S POSTURE IS WEIRD!" It's a good thing we don't have any Donkey Kongs, Diddy Kongs, pokemon, Wolfs, or Greninjas with abnormal posture.

I've gone over this more times than I care to. Ridley doesn't present a single issue that can't be easily fixed, because the issues he presents have been presented by other characters for *FOUR GAMES* and got worked out fine. And people go "WWEH BUT DIFFICULT!!!!!!" and I have to wonder who they think is making this game. Paid professionals? Apparently not.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The comics are actually endorsed by Sakamoto, they are more canon than the Metroid Prime games.

I dont actually think that panel ruins him, Im just wondering how people think a resize would be more damning to the character than some of the stuff that he has been through.
One more reason to not consider the comics. **** Sakamoto.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So, what are you guys planning to do if Ridley is disconfirmed in the Direct? Toobigots will surely try their best to make the lives of Ridley fans a living hell.
Smack Oasis for eventually getting me back into Smash speculation with this thread?

Joking aside, what is there really to do other than grow a thicker skin, deal with it (but not let toobigots walk all over us either), and move on?

Sakamoto himself didn't make the manga, he just endorsed it. There's plenty evidence to suggest it's canon though, and it has much better writing than like Other M; don't judge it till you've read it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's not surprising considering the manga is the basis for Other M. And probably nothing else about the series except for Fusion and Super Metroid.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Doesn't mean the manga (or those other games) should be unfairly lumped with Other M quality-wise just because lolsakamoto.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Indeed. Ridley's reaction to little girl Samus seems genuinely remorseful. It's actually kinda shocking.

He even goes so far as to call her cute.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Doesn't mean the manga (or those other games) should be unfairly lumped with Other M quality-wise just because lolsakamoto.
And once again this is what I'm talking about.

ANYWAY, yeah. Some time between 11am (my time anyway) next Tuesday and 5pm (my time) we'll know The Answer. And it will be great because we don't have to do the whole bickering thing anymore.

Hong

The Strongest
So I heard on some thread that Ridley is more popular than Luigi. Is this true? :troll:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
George Lucas and Frank Miller were good creators once upon a time too. It's a little unfair to declare anything and everything Sakamoto has worked on and approved as garbage now because of one bad game.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
George Lucas and Frank Miller were good creators once upon a time too. It's a little unfair to declare anything and everything Sakamoto has worked on and approved as garbage now because of one bad game.
Well it was more like an awkward downhill slide after Super Metroid happened, but yeh. This is why I don't really don't sit around pointing fingers at people for game quality. In theory anyone can put out a good or bad product, and making one doesn't really negate the other.

EDIT: Look at Intelligent Systems. Is Intelligent Systems terrible? No? But they were partially responsible for Sticker Star! And that doesn't really negate the fact that they also were responsible for Paper Mario 1 and 2 and the Fire Emblem franchise.

So you can't really say literally everything Sakamoto has touched is garbage because of Fusion. Or because you don't like Other M. And it doesn't really keep him from being behind better games in the future.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So I heard on some thread that Ridley is more popular than Luigi. Is this true? :troll:
Everyone is more popular than Luigi. Even the Waddle Dee that scared him in the SSE. Which isn't not saying much. :p

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
If Ridley is payable, what do you think the way he would have to be unlocked? I think it should be something like beat Classic Mode with Samus and Zero Suit Samus.

So is the Ridley thread going to be in Mario Kart 9? And what about Ridley's Thread's Mansion? :B
...Ridley: Shadow Fall?

......See what I did there? xD

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
If Ridley is payable, what do you think the way he would have to be unlocked? I think it should be something like beat Classic Mode with Samus and Zero Suit Samus.
You must Fight Ridley As Samus and a second character, as Samus you must do absolutely nothing for a good 5 minutes as your partner is easily killed

majora_787

Smash Hero
You must Fight Ridley As Samus and a second character, as Samus you must do absolutely nothing for a good 5 minutes as your partner is easily killed
Let's recreate the pre-Brawl fight cutscene except Pikachu dies at the end yelling "Remembuh meeeeeeeeeee" as he falls into a pit in a deep manly voice.

And you get an achievement for this. Does SSB4 have achievements? No. But it's part of the shenanigans.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley will be unlocked by completing samus her board the platform stage within 30 seconds.
On an unrelated note, in this game they made Board the Platforms a lot more involved with 30 platforms instead of 10. GL, HF

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
On an unrelated note, in this game they made Board the Platforms a lot more involved with 30 platforms instead of 10. GL, HF
Is board the platforms back XD?

btw could someone please give me a ridley support signature like the k. rool one im having right now?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Is board the platforms back XD?

btw could someone please give me a ridley support signature like the k. rool one im having right now?
We don't know, I just wanted to make it just say "To unlock Ridley you have to use Samus to board one platform per second. It's totes doable trust me."

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't really think there will be unlockable characters in this game.

majora_787

Smash Hero
There probably will be, though it's possible there aren't. With Marth, Lucario, Rosalina, Luigi, Toon Link, and the like all thrown out pre-release like this, it's hard to say what's going on exactly.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I don't really think there will be unlockable characters in this game.
They'll probably go the mario Kart 8 route and show all characters pre-release but then still have them unlockable.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
There probably will be, though it's possible there aren't. With Marth, Lucario, Rosalina, Luigi, Toon Link, and the like all thrown out pre-release like this, it's hard to say what's going on exactly.
Jigglypuff/ganon/g&w will deff. be in smash4 but they'll never be starters.

majora_787

Smash Hero
They'll probably go the mario Kart 8 route and show all characters pre-release but then still have them unlockable.
They'd probably have to show the entire roster at E3. I wonder if they would do that though? Just throw out all of the trailers for all of the newcomers and then the games come out and you have to unlock them?

I dunno. It's possible. I have no idea.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
They'd probably have to show the entire roster at E3. I wonder if they would do that though? Just throw out all of the trailers for all of the newcomers and then the games come out and you have to unlock them?

I dunno. It's possible. I have no idea.
If they're producing the trailers and it's costing them money, why wouldn't they want to show most, if not all of them off?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well they won't really have a place to show them other than at E3, unless the game is a late August or September release where they can have another Smash Bros. direct.

Morbi

Scavenger
If they're producing the trailers and it's costing them money, why wouldn't they want to show most, if not all of them off?
Does that not attenuate the suspense? A multi-character trailer might be reasonable enough, but showing most of the characters is not. Take Ridley for instance, would you not rather an epic trailer dedicated solely to him (in regards to newcomers), or would you rather see a collage trailer with cameos from every character on the roster? We have never gotten a trailer that reveals all characters, I assume the same applies to Smash 4.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
The year of Luigi saw the death of Yamauchi and the worst economic state of Nintendo ever. Even the Spider Guardian is better than Luigi at this point.

Top Bottom