• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Or they just leave the megaman's stage to show boss gameplay and don't include pyrosphere simply because they won't put all stages we know. Maybe we won't have, for example, the zelda stage one. We cannot tell anything for sure.
Pyrosphere could be unavailable on the demo, some characters that we know as playable since forever aren't going to be playable in the demo after all.

Howewer, Sakurai just can't have miss that the west have been debating over Ridley's fate in the last 2 months more than ever, if he intended to discomfirm Ridley at the direct like some people claim, he must have seen that he failed at it since he wasn't as clear as the other disconfirmations have been so far, even worse it make some people who didn't even care for Ridley before have hopes for a playable Ridley.

And we do know that Sakurai hate giving false hope to the fans, so if Ridley is a boss, it's now or never to finish us off as the release of smash 3DS is getting closer and closer, not talking about Ridley's fate at E3 and not including the Pyrosphere in the demo will only add more fuel to the Ridley debate and give Ridley's fans more hope for a playable status, which is to avoid if he's only a boss.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
No other character could provide such an amount of fan appeasement while also generating the shock a legitimate unexpected like Wii Fit Trainer can.
Greninja maybe? He was met with surprise and was unexpected before his release and the reaction was rather positive from what I know

majora_787

Smash Hero
Pyrosphere could be unavailable on the demo, some characters that we know as playable since forever aren't going to be playable in the demo after all..
Characters and stages are generally different situations in demos. But shrug.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Pyrosphere could be unavailable on the demo, some characters that we know as playable since forever aren't going to be playable in the demo after all.

Howewer, Sakurai just can't have miss that the west have been debating over Ridley's fate in the last 2 months more than ever, if he intended to discomfirm Ridley at the direct like some people claim, he must have seen that he failed at it since he wasn't as clear as the other disconfirmations have been so far, even worse it make some people who didn't even care for Ridley before have hopes for a playable Ridley.

And we do know that Sakurai hate giving false hope to the fans, so if Ridley is a boss, it's now or never to finish us off as the release of smash 3DS is getting closer and closer, not talking about Ridley's fate at E3 and not including the Pyrosphere in the demo will only add more fuel to the Ridley debate and give Ridley's fans more hope for a playable status, which is to avoid if he's only a boss.
There's no way Sakurai actually tried to deconfirm Ridley and just failed to get the message across. The man knows exactly what he's doing, in fact I'm willing to bet he planned Ridley's long cryptic buildup from the moment he choose the dragon for a roster slot.

The systematic way Ridley has been coasting about in the back of our minds like, well, a shadow, is unmistakably all part of the plan. Sure Sakurai is the definition of unpredictable, but nonetheless there are patterns that we can take note of, with the most important one for this situation being that every deconfirmed character so far was completely out of nowhere with no hinting about them before the fact.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Plot twist; the shadow isn't Ridley.
The shadow is the Rhedogian. :troll:

-Similar tail tip as Ridley (more importantly, as the bit we see in the Smash Direct)
-Can fly, just like Ridley
-Is encountered in the Pyrosphere (though Sector 3, not the Geothermal Power Plant; despite this, Smash isn't necessarily canon and the corridor in the big hole looks kind of like Sector 3 anyway...)
-Has to be fought four fricking times before it's dead. And then two more show up in the post-credits game. So it's an "enemy of Samus' past" and a "trauma" :awesome:
Now I want this so much .... SO I CAN KICK HIS F****** A** !!!!!!!!!!!
he was so damn difficult ....... AND YOU HAVE TO BEAT HIM A LOT OF TIME !!!!
fortunately you can kill the last 2 ones with power bombs

btw I don't think it was his shadow ...

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Was Ridley that requested for Brawl ? Looking at the thread's side I wonder.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Having been back during those crazy times, I can confirm that Ridley was pretty highly requested for Brawl, yes. I didn't think Ridley had a chance back then, but I figure he's got a solid shot this time.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Gonna be honest, Ridley wasn't even in my mind as a playable character back in the Brawl days. So I felt no sense of betrayal or anything when Ridley was shown as a boss.

I'm basing my belief that Ridley is playable on how Sakurai is hiding his presence rather than just showing him when the time is right. If Sakurai can made a neutral-negative supporter a Space Pirate, something's up.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
There's no way Sakurai actually tried to deconfirm Ridley and just failed to get the message across. The man knows exactly what he's doing, in fact I'm willing to bet he planned Ridley's long cryptic buildup from the moment he choose the dragon for a roster slot.

The systematic way Ridley has been coasting about in the back of our minds like, well, a shadow, is unmistakably all part of the plan. Sure Sakurai is the definition of unpredictable, but nonetheless there are patterns that we can take note of, with the most important one for this situation being that every deconfirmed character so far was completely out of nowhere with no hinting about them before the fact.
I never said that it was my opinion tough, even if I do admit that I thinked that it was the case for a few days after the direct.
I guess I just lacked a little faith in the guy who decided to put ZSS as the second Metroid rep and made Ridley a Dynablade rip-off in Brawl.

*insert a picture of Sakurai using the force to strangle me here*

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
GUYS I'M DOING SOMETHING REALLY SPECIAL ABOUT RIDLEY BUT I NEED YOUR HELP
I NEED SOME FUNNY AND EPIC RIDLEY'S GIFS
MAYBE SOME @AndreaAC 'S ONES TOO

majora_787

Smash Hero
Gonna be honest, Ridley wasn't even in my mind as a playable character back in the Brawl days. So I felt no sense of betrayal or anything when Ridley was shown as a boss.

I'm basing my belief that Ridley is playable on how Sakurai is hiding his presence rather than just showing him when the time is right. If Sakurai can made a neutral-negative supporter a Space Pirate, something's up.
I didn't consider it a betrayal myself. I mean some people thought Rdley was in the clouds and it was a sign for Ridley's playability or something, but I mean I just felt disappointed that they didn't make use of the potential that was there.

This time though, with the hype building and purposeful ambiguity and the refusal to close the "playable character" door, I would feel a little betrayed if Ridley weren't playable. :c

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I think today's reveal backs this argument even further; when Sakurai revealed the brand new Mario stage out of nowhere, he immediately mentioned that Kamek will completely transform the stage, even though we haven't seen Kamek himself (quite the casual de-confirmation, actually...). Ridley has still not been mentioned by name once, and we still don't know what really goes on in the Pyrosphere.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think today's reveal backs this argument even further; when Sakurai revealed the brand new Mario stage out of nowhere, he immediately mentioned that Kamek will completely transform the stage, even though we haven't seen Kamek himself (quite the casual de-confirmation, actually...). Ridley has still not been mentioned by name once, and we still don't know what really goes on in the Pyrosphere.
The thing with Ridley and the Pyrosphere reveal, is that should Ridley be a boss, he is a boss in a new thing Sakurai is doing. If he said, "Ridley appears as a boss on Pyrosphere" right away, that would spill the beans on Yellow Devil and anybody else.

That's my take on it. But I feel like not mentioning Ridley by name doesn't mean much.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
The thing with Ridley and the Pyrosphere reveal, is that should Ridley be a boss, he is a boss in a new thing Sakurai is doing. If he said, "Ridley appears as a boss on Pyrosphere" right away, that would spill the beans on Yellow Devil and anybody else.

That's my take on it. But I feel like not mentioning Ridley by name doesn't mean much.
"Ridley will break in and attack the fighters from time to time, just like Yellow Devil!"

-a few months later-

"Oh and you can also hit them back."

Stage bosses are the dumbest, most overhyped crap ever. They're stage hazards that you can hit. WOAH WHAT INNOVATION and they're ripping one directly from another fighting game.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

On the other hand, Yellow Devil was shown off right away, and what it did (aside from exploding) was pretty clear. Also, if the Dark Emperor is a boss, than that makes two boss characters shown off immediately with their respective stages.

That's just my take on it, though. You have a fair point.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
On the other hand, Yellow Devil was shown off right away, and what it did (aside from exploding) was pretty clear. Also, if the Dark Emperor is a boss, than that makes two boss characters shown off immediately with their respective stages.

That's just my take on it, though. You have a fair point.
Speaking of which, I think the Dark Emperor was revealed before the actual stage. Correct me if I'm wrong.

majora_787

Smash Hero
"Ridley will break in and attack the fighters from time to time, just like Yellow Devil!"

-a few months later-

"Oh and you can also hit them back."

Stage bosses are the dumbest, most overhyped crap ever. They're stage hazards that you can hit. WOAH WHAT INNOVATION and they're ripping one directly from another fighting game.
Basically how I feel about that entire situation right there. :\ It might happen, sure, but that doesn't mean I'm even remotely happy with that.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

He doesn't need to say Ridley is a boss. All he just needed to do was show Ridley on the stage attacking the players, saying "Beware! This stage may seem calm, but Ridley will come in and attack the fighters when you least expect it." We didn't even know if Yellow Devil was a boss before the Direct, before then we assumed that it was just a simple stage hazard.

Stage bosses are really just glorified stage hazards, no matter how you look at it. The gimmick is that you can fight back and win, and not only that you can turn them off! What's the point of hyping them if they're not even vital to this game's enjoyment?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
At least if Ridley would've been deconfirmed alongside Pyrosphere's reveal, we wouldn't have this imminent hype trainwreck.

I would've preferred he was deconfirmed early rather than get **** on like we got with the Direct.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
At least if Ridley would've been deconfirmed alongside Pyrosphere's reveal, we wouldn't have this imminent hype trainwreck.

I would've preferred he was deconfirmed early rather than get **** on like we got with the Direct.
I believe that is how everyone feels. I also believe that Sakurai understands this.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
They're going to selectively remove SOME stage hazards from some stages but leave OTHER stage hazards intact?

That just sounds extremely unnecessary and bizarre and I seriously don't think that's about to happen.
There's a difference between stage hazards and bosses. Bosses weren't playable in the brawldemo. So if ridley isnt shown on pyrosphere it doesnt automatically mean he's playable. When you defeat a boss the stage is cleared; it's different with a hazard.

I don't get why people are even considering ridley to be a stage hazard? There's NO WAY he'd be a stage hazard. He's a boss at least. Yellow devil isnt a boss IMO. Because when you beat him the fight still continues. A boss is someone you beat and you move on; it's the prime subject of a level.

Saying ridley will be stage hazard is the same thing as saying master hand will be a stage hazard.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I don't get why people are even considering ridley to be a stage hazard? There's NO WAY he'd be a stage hazard. He's a boss at least..
Bosses and Stage Hazards are the same thing in this game. You can just kill one of them while the other is invulnerable or something that happens to the stage itself.

Bosses ARE Stage Hazards.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm still wondering why it's Ridley that's getting this amount of trolling/hyping treatment. I guess Palutena does too, but she doesn't even compare to Ridley's case; heck the main reason her speculation got so big was because of that leak about her.

I mean I can see universally wanted characters like Mewtwo or K. Rool, but Ridley, famous though he is, is still mostly popular in the West. I don't know, maybe Sakurai just wanted to screw around with him for the heck of it.

Morbi

Scavenger
There's a difference between stage hazards and bosses. Bosses weren't playable in the brawldemo. So if ridley isnt shown on pyrosphere it doesnt automatically mean he's playable. When you defeat a boss the stage is cleared; it's different with a hazard.

I don't get why people are even considering ridley to be a stage hazard? There's NO WAY he'd be a stage hazard. He's a boss at least. Yellow devil isnt a boss IMO. Because when you beat him the fight still continues. A boss is someone you beat and you move on; it's the prime subject of a level.

Saying ridley will be stage hazard is the same thing as saying master hand will be a stage hazard.
Stage hazards and boss characters are synonymous in my humble opinion. There is a difference, but the difference is negligible. You are just arguing semantics (I am hypocritical).

majora_787

Smash Hero

You know why bosses weren't in the brawl demo? Because they appeared in the middle of the Subspace Emissary story mode, which wasn't available in the demo. Bosses are hazards you can destroy for perks. They appear on normal stages in versus matches. They're not the same as SSE bosses.

Yellow Devil is a boss and a hazard. There is a reason some people call them boss hazards.

MASTER HAND is a boss because he is the final boss of a game mode, and not some smartass who shows up in the middle of a versus match. You're sitting here comparing apples, oranges, and space dragons.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Bosses and Stage Hazards are the same thing in this game. You can just kill one of them while the other is invulnerable or something that happens to the stage itself.

Bosses ARE Stage Hazards.
So like Kamek is a boss? And the metal hand on halberd and bombs are bosses as well? And master hand is a stage hazard? (he'll deff. be in)

I really think that's weird. If it's true, that's ****ed up lol.

Btw yes ridley was THAT requested in brawl. He was the most requested after dedede (with diddy kong(confirmed), geno and ike(confirmed):
http://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/

------------------------------------------------

Edit: I really disagree with you guys man lol. I do believe ridley's chance of getting in smash is high and I really hope so. But I don't think that he will be a stage hazard and I don't think that if he's not shown on pyrosphere it automatically means he's in (although it will boost his chances)

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Kamek may not be a boss. Kamek may simply appear as a background character. Background characters and bosses are two different things.

- Bosses in 64 and Melee were nothing more than either altered versions of playable characters, OR Master Hand, who is the final boss of Classic mode. He's a boss, but not a stage hazard because he doesn't wander in during vs matches.

- Bosses in Brawl were all attached to single player story or classic modes and had nothing to do with vs mode.

- Bosses in SSB4 are obviously made to function differently. They operate by a slightly different standard, appearing on stages and attacking the players while they are able to be attacked and destroyed for some sort of benefit. The closest thing we had to this was Birdo in Melee. That is the ONLY character we have had in the series who is comparable to the SSB4 concept of bosses as it has been presented.

Kamek isn't a boss if Kamek doesn't attack the players and isn't able to be defeated for some benefit. Kamek is most likely a background character because all Kamek does is alter the stage and doesn't attack and cannot be attacked.

The cannon claw whatever on the Halberd isn't a boss because it sits in the background and attacks but can't be defeated in any way whatsoever for any benefit.

The distinction is weird but it's there and it's pretty clear.

EDIT: Basically you have to ask yourself some questions. And the answers can overlap.

1. Does the character appear in vs mode matches on a particular stage? If yes, they're a stage hazard. If no, they're not a stage hazard.
2. Does the character attack, and can it be attack and defeated for direct benefit? If yes to both, it's a boss. If no to either half, it's not a boss.

There's nothing here that makes it impossible for the two to overlap.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Kamek may not be a boss. Kamek may simply appear as a background character. Background characters and bosses are two different things.

- Bosses in 64 and Melee were nothing more than either altered versions of playable characters, OR Master Hand, who is the final boss of Classic mode. He's a boss, but not a stage hazard because he doesn't wander in during vs matches.

- Bosses in Brawl were all attached to single player story or classic modes and had nothing to do with vs mode.

- Bosses in SSB4 are obviously made to function differently. They operate by a slightly different standard, appearing on stages and attacking the players while they are able to be attacked and destroyed for some sort of benefit. The closest thing we had to this was Birdo in Melee. That is the ONLY character we have had in the series who is comparable to the SSB4 concept of bosses as it has been presented.

Kamek isn't a boss if Kamek doesn't attack the players and isn't able to be defeated for some benefit. Kamek is most likely a background character because all Kamek does is alter the stage and doesn't attack and cannot be attacked.

The cannon claw whatever on the Halberd isn't a boss because it sits in the background and attacks but can't be defeated in any way whatsoever for any benefit.

The distinction is weird but it's there and it's pretty clear.
Damn, that (boss)system is gross. I hope it's not true or you'll never see me playing normal stages lol.

When someone says 'stage hazard' I think about birdo in melee, the witches in gerudo valley, the fish on the summit etc.
When someone says boss, I think about master/crazy hand, petey, rayquaza, giga bowser, metal mario, fighting polygon team etc.

IF ridley's not playable I really hope he will at least be the last row..

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Damn, that (boss)system is gross. I hope it's not true or you'll never see me playing normal stages lol.

When someone says 'stage hazard' I think about birdo in melee, the witches in gerudo valley, the fish on the summit etc.
When someone says boss, I think about master/crazy hand, petey, rayquaza, giga bowser, metal mario, fighting polygon team etc.

IF ridley's not playable I really hope he will at least be the last row..
Birdo actually qualifies as a boss, and Twinrova MAY be a boss. The fish isn't. :p

Boss hazards are a lot stranger than single player bosses to be sure since we don't usually have them like this. But really if Ridley isn't playable, that's what we can expect. A Bowser-sized, slow-moving Ridley on a very large stage swooping into your vs matches and ripping off DoA Dimensions.

...You mean that's NOT what you wanted? :p

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm not a fan of this new "stage boss" thing either. I guess it could work as a one-time gimmick with the Yellow Devil, but to make it a "thing" (and to possibly connect Ridley to such thing!!) just seems weird. We'll see how it plays out.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Birdo actually qualifies as a boss, and Twinrova MAY be a boss. The fish isn't. :p

Boss hazards are a lot stranger than single player bosses to be sure since we don't usually have them like this. But really if Ridley isn't playable, that's what we can expect. A Bowser-sized, slow-moving Ridley on a very large stage swooping into your vs matches and ripping off DoA Dimensions.

Yeah its deff. NOT what I wanted. I got obsessed with this dragon since the direct and he's not even my favourite metroid character XD (Kanden is).

I don't know man I feel like it would be dead *** wrong if he will get disconfirmed and be a stage gimmick/boss/hazard/whatever. Like someone eating your secret food from the fridge...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why I can like this one time only? It could be that Sakurai is hyping a boss as a "new concept", but a Bowser-sized slow moving boss on a medium sized stage, just, isn't possible at all, if it was the case, I would start to wonder how Sakurai makes his decisions

majora_787

Smash Hero
See what I mean, I acknowledge the possibility that Ridley might be a boss hazard. But really if he is, from what we know now it's just shaping up to be either great for Ridley being a playable character, or a really big step down as a boss from his TWO boss encounters in Brawl.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm still wondering why it's Ridley that's getting this amount of trolling/hyping treatment. I guess Palutena does too, but she doesn't even compare to Ridley's case; heck the main reason her speculation got so big was because of that leak about her.

I mean I can see universally wanted characters like Mewtwo or K. Rool, but Ridley, famous though he is, is still mostly popular in the West. I don't know, maybe Sakurai just wanted to screw around with him for the heck of it.
Probably because Ridley is by far the most discussed character when it comes to Smash. K. Rool and Mewtwo are pretty much universally loved, and the people that don't like them don't make a big fuzz about it because there's not any big counter-arguments to them. Ridley on the other hand has the size "issue", and that's made for 8 years of heated discussions by this point (only really started with Brawl from my experience.)

So of course when Nate Bihldorff (or whoever else might do it this time around) comes back with a status report to Sakurai after digging in the Smash community he'll report about how insane we still are for Ridley, and that's where evil schemes begin popping up in Sakurai's head. It's just an extra bonus for his evil mind that Ridley was in the exact same situation last game, and Sakurai likely heard the exact same things back then.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
This boss mechanic could be a way to put smash boss again maybe ? Exclusive to Wiiu of course.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Probably because Ridley is by far the most discussed character when it comes to Smash. K. Rool and Mewtwo are pretty much universally loved, and the people that don't like them don't make a big fuzz about it because there's not any big counter-arguments to them. Ridley on the other hand has the size "issue", and that's made for 8 years of heated discussions by this point (only really started with Brawl from my experience.)

So of course when Nate Bihldorff (or whoever else might do it this time around) comes back with a status report to Sakurai after digging in the Smash community he'll report about how insane we still are for Ridley, and that's where evil schemes begin popping up in Sakurai's head. It's just an extra bonus for his evil mind that Ridley was in the exact same situation last game, and Sakurai likely heard the exact same things back then.
So to put it simply, Sakurai is aware of the Ridley controversy and, especially this time around, loves to throw fuel in the fire for it.

That definitely sounds like something he'd do...

Top Bottom