• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If ridley is playable i can picture a update like.

Which one is which

Reveals that ridley is a boss hazard on the pryoshere and ridley is fighting the ridley boss hazard.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
If ridley is playable i can picture a update like.

Which one is which

Reveals that ridley is a boss hazard on the pryoshere and ridley is fighting the ridley boss hazard.
How would you explain it to folks who have never played a metroid ? Would need to explain the boss is a clone.

Pikachu confirmed stage hazard.

Ridley confirmed playable character.
Pichu playable instead of pikachu.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
let's just say sakurai would get vists from ppl

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Let's consider the worst case scenario
What will happen if Ridley is deconfirmed? :awesome:
Exactly the same thing as with Brawl probably: People will get mopey dopey and blame Ridley's exclusion on another character (likely WFT , Mii, Pac-Man or Chorus Men this time) when in reality it's all on Sakurai's bias. Then after a week of playing the game people will forget all about it, except us who have waited for Ridley for so many years of course, I still think it's bull**** he wasn't a character in Brawl.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Riot?

Actually, something funny I thought of, though I doubt it'll happen. What if Ridley got confirmed, but Palutena got the axe?
I wouldn't mind too much. I'd consider it an ass move on Sakurai's part to tease her this much and then not have it pay-off, just like I do with Ridley currently, but I just don't care about Palutena enough to actually give a damn besides that. Actually, I'm pretty tired of hearing about her at this point with the leak and everything, and I even dread her inevitable announcement too since I'd rather get actual news out of a Smash reveal, so I hope she's saved 'till post 3DS release.

It'd still be a stupid move to not include Palutena though.

Last edited:

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Riot?

Actually, something funny I thought of, though I doubt it'll happen. What if Ridley got confirmed, but Palutena got the axe?
If Palutena was axed the Japanese fanbase might get really annoyed hahaha

(Western fanbase got little mac and mega man but fan service can never be satiated oh well)

Staarih

Smash Master
Riot?

Sakurai has definitely teased Ridley more than Palutena, and that alone makes me want to get all this confusion and uncertainty and all the hassle out of me and just have Ridley playable, finally, even at the cost of Palutena not making it. Of course it would be a bit of a shame, as Palutena is a great character too, but right now, I'd take it like that anyway.

As for what will happen if Ridley does end up deconfirmed... I'd be disappointed, sure, but in the end I do realize it's just a video game (and sometimes I get that feeling even now in the midst of all the Ridley-debates and other discussions, thinking is all this really worth... anything haha) and move on. Hopefully it won't happen though: naturally a better situation would be to not experience disappointment, but rather joy and happiness and excitement instead. Fingers crossed!

samsparta21

Smash Ace
There is one little thing I noticed, probably other people have noticed it before me. In the Direct, when they showed the King Kihunter trophy, Ridley's Other M battle music played for a bit. Might mean that it's a track in the game. This could be Ridley's theme or it could be just a track for Pyrosphere (going with the Ridley stage boss battle)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There is one little thing I noticed, probably other people have noticed it before me. In the Direct, when they showed the King Kihunter trophy, Ridley's Other M battle music played for a bit. Might mean that it's a track in the game. This could be Ridley's theme or it could be just a track for Pyrosphere (going with the Ridley stage boss battle)
It's almost certainly a track in the game because of this, they probably wouldn't be allowed to use it unless they licensed it for the game. The Brinstar remix from Melee is also in the Direct somewhere iirc, so it's probably somewhere in the game too, whether Brinstar comes back as a stage or its on Pyrosphere we don't know of course.

It's no surprise though, with the Pyrosphere as a stage it'd be freakishly weird if Ridley's theme wasn't present, doesn't matter if he's a boss or character. With that said, it's nice to know the best version of the song is in the game and they didn't opt for another remix, even if the Brawl remix was pretty cool too.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Ridley is the only character I REALLY want since brawl. Other than him im still waiting for king k rool, duckhuntdog and pokey minch.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
While it makes sense for the likes of K. Rool and Palutena, both characters that have varying amounts of hints/teasing towards a playable status, I really don't see the argument that Ridley won't be shown at E3 because he will be "expected." We must remember that beyond this thread, the vast majority have taken Sakurai's bait and believe that Ridley is confirmed as a hazard, so while it wouldn't be much of a surprise to us should we see him playable, the rest will undoubtedly be shocked.

Also, I can understand not revealing all the big name characters during the time since last E3, but, as I've mentioned countless times before, this E3 will be the last big advertising push the games will get before the 3DS version comes out where at that point the entire roster, aka the main source of hype, will be fully unveiled. With that in mind, why wouldn't Sakurai show off fan-favorite additions that many are clamoring for? Sure they would be expected, but people will still go nuts anyway, not to mention the reaction(s) will be bigger for well known characters that most are aware of/are supporting then random obscure selections (WFT).

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

-Engineer
-Scientist
-Pirate Leader
-Mercenary
-Dating Rosalina :p

Even with his busy schedule, Ridley gets to build a robotic version of himself.
In Zero Mission, Ridley perfectly builds Mecha Ridley if Samus is busy enough picking up all 100% Collectibles.;)

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
While it makes sense for the likes of K. Rool and Palutena, both characters that have varying amounts of hints/teasing towards a playable status, I really don't see the argument that Ridley won't be shown at E3 because he will be "expected." We must remember that beyond this thread, the vast majority have taken Sakurai's bait and believe that Ridley is confirmed as a hazard, so while it wouldn't be much of a surprise to us should we see him playable, the rest will undoubtedly be shocked.

Also, I can understand not revealing all the big name characters during the time since last E3, but, as I've mentioned countless times before, this E3 will be the last big advertising push the games will get before the 3DS version comes out where at that point the entire roster, aka the main source of hype, will be fully unveiled. With that in mind, why wouldn't Sakurai show off fan-favorite additions that many are clamoring for? Sure they would be expected, but people will still go nuts anyway, not to mention the reaction(s) will be bigger for well known characters that most are aware of/are supporting then random obscure selections (WFT).
That's another thing I think works in Ridley's favor, that he's the only character that is heavily wanted, yet also mostly unexpected. No other character could provide such an amount of fan appeasement while also generating the shock a legitimate unexpected like Wii Fit Trainer can.

majora_787

Smash Hero
8 days left, 9 until the demo. It's the final countdown for Ridley. This is somewhat relevant, but I don't suppose anyone from this here Ridley thread is going to the demo in Cedar Park, Texas?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Riot?

That would be ironic. I'd also question what kinda person would blatantly tease someone like that. I mean, in this hypothetical situation, if you're not going to include someone, don't beat around the bush.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I said this in the K. Rool thread and I'll reiterate it with a little Ridley twist. Revealing Ridlet at E3 makes sense. Do you really expect them to do something we expect them to do? It seems obvious, which makes me less inclined to believe it's what'll happen. It's weird logic, but if you go back to this thread a year ago, we were all saying what you just said, (except for the part in parentheses). And what did we get last year? Three things that nobody expected. Ultimately, I don't expect Ridley because I've exhausted my ability to do so. I can, however, pray that he isn't outright shown as something not playable.
Most people believe that Ridley's a stage hazard at this point, and thus are not expecting him. Even I have doubts about his inclusion, as well as most fan-requested characters, because Sakurai seems more willing to add in personal favorites to the roster instead.

You could say the same thing for the Palutena fanbase expecting her at E3, which to most people wouldn't be very surprising. Wouldn't it be more in character for the man to reveal someone who isn't really expected to be playable at all? Sometimes I feel as though there's a double standard going on. It's right to reveal Palutena or Chrom at E3 because they're expected, but not so for Ridley.

I've noticed that some people have been talking about Kamek's disconfirmation in the latest pic of the day when he referred to him by name. Honestly, I don't think it has anything to do with Ridley's chances.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So, if Ridley doesn't get revealed at E3, are you guys going to continue to have hope for Smash 4?

I'm not trying to poke a bear or anything, I'm just legitimately wondering. I myself believe E3 is Ridley's last stand to be playable. I don't see any other time to reveal him as playable.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Wouldn't you know. Another character (Kamek) that has been confirmed to be the main gimmick of a stage without any bullcrap in between.

This is starting to annoy me...

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, if Ridley doesn't get revealed at E3, are you guys going to continue to have hope for Smash 4?

I'm not trying to poke a bear or anything, I'm just legitimately wondering. I myself believe E3 is Ridley's last stand to be playable. I don't see any other time to reveal him as playable.
I don't think he's going to be playable after that, even if he isn't shown or referred to in any sense at all. I have the same belief regarding King K. Rool and Pac-Man, as my hope for the former has been growing dimmer ever since the Direct, and if the latter isn't revealed his chances are as good as dead.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If Ridley is shown in the demo as a boss on Pyrosphere, I consider him done.

If Ridley is not shown in the demo as a boss on Pyrosphere, OR if Pyrosphere is deliberately avoided (conveniently not in the demo), I consider Ridley playable.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

If Ridley is not shown in the demo as a boss on Pyrosphere, OR if Pyrosphere is deliberately avoided (conveniently not in the demo), I consider Ridley playable.
I see you forgot my part of my cannonballs of playable and a boss hazard.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Now, I understand where you're coming from with this statement, but what about the possibility that bosses simply aren't in the demo?

Like, NO bosses. At all. That means no Yellow Devil either. I mean, if Pyrosphere isn't in the demo that would be something to talk about obviously. But the stage boss thing might not be included because they want people to test the gameplay without the bosses. That's just as plausible.

I don't think Ridley not being there at all means much considering Bosses might not be showing up anyway. So I wouldn't go that far.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Now, I understand where you're coming from with this statement, but what about the possibility that bosses simply aren't in the demo?

Like, NO bosses. At all. That means no Yellow Devil either. I mean, if Pyrosphere isn't in the demo that would be something to talk about obviously. But the stage boss thing might not be included because they want people to test the gameplay without the bosses. That's just as plausible.

I don't think Ridley not being there at all means much considering Bosses might not be showing up anyway. So I wouldn't go that far.
They're going to selectively remove SOME stage hazards from some stages but leave OTHER stage hazards intact?

That just sounds extremely unnecessary and bizarre and I seriously don't think that's about to happen.

Xhampi

Smash Lord

I don't think that I can give up until I see the boss/playable character with my own eyes at this point.
Little Mac would have made a lot more sense at E3 too, but he was revealed in a regular direct.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
They're going to selectively remove SOME stage hazards from some stages but leave OTHER stage hazards intact?

That just sounds extremely unnecessary and bizarre and I seriously don't think that's about to happen.
Or they just leave the megaman's stage to show boss gameplay and don't include pyrosphere simply because they won't put all stages we know. Maybe we won't have, for example, the zelda stage one. We cannot tell anything for sure.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

No, no, no. That's not what I mean. I mean they just won't have any stage bosses in at all. Bosses aren't the same as Kamek on the NSMBU stage. They're an entirely different type of hazard.

We don't even know how they work. They could be a separate mode even. There are plenty of reasons why they might not be at E3.

That said, I think Sakurai will say something about them, and Ridley. I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Or they just leave the megaman's stage to show boss gameplay and don't include pyrosphere simply because they won't put all stages we know. Maybe we won't have, for example, the zelda stage one. We cannot tell anything for sure.
Brawl's demo contained 11/12 stages. We only have 16 on the Wii U version that we know. If they just remove one of the stages that we've seen the most of for one of the longest periods of time, that's still weird.

EDIT: That is what you mean though. You suggested that they were going to turn off either stage hazards in general, which I doubt, or bosses. Which would mandate they only turn off SOME hazards on stages, which is even LESS likely to me.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
With the build-up of "other boss character appearances" in the Direct, which left no doubt that the shadow is Ridley, I feel like they are planning to show the purple dragon sooner than later, meaning most likely, if not certainly, E3. Whether he be a playable character, or then a stage boss to further showcase/promote that feature, I do think we'll learn it at E3. Hopefully the former of course.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
EDIT: That is what you mean though. You suggested that they were going to turn off either stage hazards in general, which I doubt, or bosses. Which would mandate they only turn off SOME hazards on stages, which is even LESS likely to me.
I think what he meant is we won't have any map with a boss. For example no dr willy stage.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The absence of the Pyrosphere stage at any rate would be highly questionable assuming we don't know of Ridley's true fate beforehand. Given the number of times it has appeared in the PotDs, one would think it would be among the stages picked for the demo. For it to be otherwise would be unavoidably glaring.

Top Bottom