• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm a little out of the loop, why is E3 Ridley's coup de grâce/salvation? I mean, we said the same thing last year. The only difference is there's a demo this year, and I haven't heard if all the characters will be playable or not. Same goes for the Pyrosphere, if there are only a limited number of stages you can play on and it isn't one of them, then we're no better off than we are now.

Unless there's some information floating around that I'm oblivious to, and in that case I would love to be enlightened.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I'm a little out of the loop, why is E3 Ridley's coup de grâce/salvation? I mean, we said the same thing last year. The only difference is there's a demo this year, and I haven't heard if all the characters will be playable or not. Same goes for the Pyrosphere, if there are only a limited number of stages you can play on and it isn't one of them, then we're no better off than we are now.

Unless there's some information floating around that I'm oblivious to, and in that case I would love to be enlightened.
If they are announced a big newcomer it will definately be at e3. We have been burned before but ridley was teased as a boss character so we will finally know if thats true or hes playable. Either way he looks to be in the game in some form which is great too

majora_787

Smash Hero

The Demo would most likely contain the Pyrosphere stage, which is one of the stages we have seen the most of for the longest time since E3 2013. There are three outcomes.

1) Ridley is on Pyrosphere as a boss. Deconfirmed.
2) Ridley is not on Pyrosphere at all. Confirmed. (This would necessitate some kind of announcement I would assume to coincide with the obvious confirmation, but maybe not.)
3) Pyrosphere is not shown. Which is extremely incriminating.

Worth noting, Nintendo is showing an "unannounced title" on the 11th. This COULD be a new Metroid title, which could well allow for Ridley's announcement to come before the demo is playable. And he would be shown like Wii Fit Trainer was. The day after their actual conference. But THAT much is just convenient speculation. The main point is, the demo will reveal the nature of Ridley.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853

The general consensus is that Ridley needs to be announced at E3 because it would produce the most hype. It's a primarily Western-requested character and revealing it to Western audiences in the West's most publicized video game convention lets it reach a wider audience. It's essentially the single best time to introduce Ridley, and it would generate a TON of buzz over here in America, which is, honestly, where they need to start focusing a push to really sell the game (and it shows they're working hard at it, considering the Invitational).

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
3) Pyrosphere is not shown. Which is extremely incriminating.
That's what my gut is telling me will happen. It just seems like the best way to keep people on their toes. I've been in this thread for too many E3's/directs/<insert event with potential Smash news> to get my hopes up. I haven't been a good enough boy this year to ask God for a Ridley reveal so I'll be happy if his chances remain as uncertain as they are now, anything would be better than Ridley the stage boss at E3.

The general consensus is that Ridley needs to be announced at E3 because it would produce the most hype. It's a primarily Western-requested character and revealing it to Western audiences in the West's most publicized video game convention lets it reach a wider audience. It's essentially the single best time to introduce Ridley, and it would generate a TON of buzz over here in America, which is, honestly, where they need to start focusing a push to really sell the game (and it shows they're working hard at it, considering the Invitational).
I said this in the K. Rool thread and I'll reiterate it with a little Ridley twist. Revealing Ridlet at E3 makes sense. Do you really expect them to do something we expect them to do? It seems obvious, which makes me less inclined to believe it's what'll happen. It's weird logic, but if you go back to this thread a year ago, we were all saying what you just said, (except for the part in parentheses). And what did we get last year? Three things that nobody expected. Ultimately, I don't expect Ridley because I've exhausted my ability to do so. I can, however, pray that he isn't outright shown as something not playable.

Morbi

Scavenger
That's what my gut is telling me will happen. It just seems like the best way to keep people on their toes. I've been in this thread for too many E3's/directs/<insert event with potential Smash news> to get my hopes up. I haven't been a good enough boy this year to ask God for a Ridley reveal so I'll be happy if his chances remain as uncertain as they are now, anything would be better than Ridley the stage boss at E3.

I said this in the K. Rool thread and I'll reiterate it with a little Ridley twist. Revealing Ridlet at E3 makes sense. Do you really expect them to do something we expect them to do? It seems obvious, which makes me less inclined to believe it's what'll happen. It's weird logic, but if you go back to this thread a year ago, we were all saying what you just said, (except for the part in parentheses). And what did we get last year? Three things that nobody expected. Ultimately, I don't expect Ridley because I've exhausted my ability to do so. I can, however, pray that he isn't outright shown as something not playable.
But; this may sound so very silly, I was laboring under the delusion that Ridley WAS god!

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I understand your logic here, it's not that foreign a concept. Still, while Sakurai prides himself on doing the unexpected thing, we're really only a very small group of people expecting it. The average consumer, Metroid fan and Smash fan won't be expecting it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Don't like my post after that, @ shrooby shrooby . I'm mad at you. My nose really hurts after that. xD

But yeah I guess we're slightly jumping the gun with the Ridley hype. We're most likely going to be going into totally different territory with E3 on the 10th. But the 11th is the day of the demo, and that's the BIG day for the Ridley thread.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Have we discussed the pictures that could be included in his character page if he's confirmed yet? Because if we haven't, I thought of some potential ideas:
  • Three pictures of him on Pyrosphere, one with him gliding over the stage (his intro pic), another with him holding Pikachu in the air (referencing the shadow bit in the Direct), and the last showing Samus firing missiles at him while he uses his stinger attack.
  • One picture with him and Bowser on Battlefield, the two of them grinning menacingly (as closely as possible) at the viewers.
  • Ridley swiping at Yellow Devil on Dr. Wily's Castle.
  • Ridley hovering in the air while Little Mac tries to reach him on Boxing Ring, apparently taunting him.
  • Mother Brain attacking Ridley with her signature laser attack on Mario Galaxy, looking as though he defied her orders
  • Ridley lying on the ground of the NSMBWiiU stage, sleeping.
  • Ridley spreading his wings out in attack (my idea for neutral A in air) on the Sector 5 Metroid Fusion stage, for the 3DS version.
  • A giant Ridley (with a super mushroom) crouched down, looking straight at a terrified Luigi on 3DS Battlefield.

It's the most that I can come up with at this late hour, and I need some sleep. *yawn*

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
OK, yeah, my post was at least partially an attempt to bring things back on track.
Now, here's a real question:
Is the Metroid manga "canon?" Should Sakurai use it to characterize Ridley, or should he do something else entirely?
I think it's canon. Sakurai seems to acknowledge it to some level too based on Ridley's previous trophy descriptions. Don't see him using it to characterize Ridley though.

Honestly I think a stage based on Metroid Pinball would be kinda cool/funny, it'd be with a platform going between the places with them as the background, highly unlikely but i'd like it. Even though they are just places from Prime.
Would be kind of an inventive way for Meta-Ridley to appear again at the very least, seeing him wreck some pinball table like in the pinball game itself.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Today's PotD doesn't involve Pyrosphere or Ridley, it's a new stage, which is a good thing.
Plus kamek is revealed as a stage hazard immediately and he's not even shown physically. Why wouldnt ridley be confirmed as a stage hazard the day pyrosphere was announced. Easy; because he's not a stage hazard :D

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
Plus kamek is revealed as a stage hazard immediately and he's not even shown physically. Why wouldnt ridley be confirmed as a stage hazard the day pyrosphere was announced. Easy; because he's not a stage hazard :D
The witches weren't revealed the day that Gerudo Valley was shown. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
1) Ridley is on Pyrosphere as a boss. Deconfirmed.
2) Ridley is not on Pyrosphere at all. Confirmed. (This would necessitate some kind of announcement I would assume to coincide with the obvious confirmation, but maybe not.)
Explain?

Anyway does anyone have a link to all the shadow pictures on pyrosphere? If there was one with four characters and still has Ridley's shadow, isn't he confirmed as hazard? :troll:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
The witches weren't revealed the day that Gerudo Valley was shown. Just playing devil's advocate here.
But they were shown a short time after..

Its been like what? 6 months since pyrosphere was announced. If he really is a stagehazard they would confirm it already.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Eh pretty baseless you know. Sakurai can confirm it whenever he wants ._.
How is it baseless -_-

Why would he confirm stage hazards immediately/a short time after a stage is announced, but not with Ridley who is in fact highly requested? (kamek and the witches are not).

If ridley's not playable he's a boss at least. I'm pretty sure he wont be a stage hazard.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
OK so if one of the last leaks is true, we will have Ridley revealed at E3 as playable, along Chibi-robo, Mike Jones and maybe Hades.
If the cost to be able to play as Ridley was to add those three as newcomers to the roster, would you pay it ? :happysheep:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Eh pretty baseless you know. Sakurai can confirm it whenever he wants ._.
Yes, Sakurai can confirm things when he wants, but in a business perspective it would be a very bad thing to announce a hazard/boss Ridley a week before or during E3, when he had plenty of time to do so months back. If Ridley is a hazard/boss, Sakurai should have given Ridley the same treatment as the de-confirmed characters: quick and straight to the point. Yet, he hasn't. Sakurai seems to like playing with the fan base, he's either keeping us in hope and then sadistically break it, or he's teasing and then giving us a reward afterwards (playable Ridley). I'm hoping that he's doing the latter, the former is just plain nasty.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I never even thought about Pyrosphere at the demo/tourney. Knowing Sakurai it won't be a playable stage just to torment us even more.

Or worse, it is a playable stage and then I suffer heart failure while watching a match on it D:

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
I never even thought about Pyrosphere at the demo/tourney. Knowing Sakurai it won't be a playable stage just to torment us even more.

Or worse, it is a playable stage and then I suffer heart failure while watching a match on it D:
Final Destination form for tourney and even for demo if he wants to troll us even more :troll:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
But at least they weren't teased for several months. No-one (sane) expected them as playable characters, just like no-one expects Kamek to be playable.
Actually Kamek had a decent following.....

barring that, does anyone know what time the, Main E3 Direct, E3 Smash Direct, and the E3 ??? Direct are going to be showed in Central Time Zone? It'll be hard to avoid spoilers after they do air, so I want to see them as quickly as possible.

OK so if one of the last leaks is true, we will have Ridley revealed at E3 as playable, along Chibi-robo, Mike Jones and maybe Hades.
If the cost to be able to play as Ridley was to add those three as newcomers to the roster, would you pay it ? :happysheep:
I Guess.........? Hades would be fun. don't want the other 2 though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Mike Jones has a ton of cool things he could do as a moveset. Hades would be a blast (and maybe he can take parts of the Ganondorf moveset while Ganondorf gets a revamp) and Chibi Robo...eh, but I can still see some silly moves being made. For Ridley, heck yes ill take them, I would take every newcomer being a clone for Ridley tbqh

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
The thing that convinces me that Ridley will be playable, is the fact that Sakurai has just danced around and teased about him, when he has always before been blunt and to the point about the disconfirmations of popularly requested characters. I can't recall a single time he has teased about a popular character before later disconfirming them, while there are many instances of him teasing about a character before revealing them as playable. Then you factor in the shadow analysis that shows he has been downsized to Bowser's size...yeah I just don't see Ridley not ending up playable after the downsizing and all the teasing.

As for if Ridley will be actually revealed at E3, I'm not sure, as for while there's a significant argument for revealing Ridley there, Ridley also seems like the type of character that will be kept ultra secret until release.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Dunno, outside of this thread Ridley as playable is VERY unexpected, it may have a lot of support, but is mostly "I wish" than "I knew", in fact you are a very example. and Sakurai himself made sure that this was the case, that everyone expects him revealed... as a boss....

or are you saying that we aren't known as the delusional thread wen he CLEARLY was shown by Sakurai himself as a boss?

(Note, there was nothing clear in Ridleys reveal)

this sadly doesn't confirm Ridley, since its very likely he is a lame boss, but won't you agree that the unexpected thing would be revealing Ridley as playable? maybe he won't be revealed in E3 and be kept ultra secret (although, i dont think the roster will hold much secrets, since it will be revealed both rosters when the 3ds version comes out). but i think that Ridley playable have become unexpected only by Sakurai hands.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Honestly the worst possible thing Sakurai could do at this point is to not let people play on Pyrosphere during E3 and not say anything about Ridley.

People will literally go insane. :awesome:

Top Bottom