• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ganondorf can only be killed by the Master Sword and Silver/Light Arrows. I think we can put Ridley on, if just a little below, Ganon's level.
Nah, Ridley is possible to kill with some work. Ganondorf is practically immortal when not fighting Link, Toon Link, Zelda, or Sheik. It may have taken a planet blowing up, but he died...eventually.

I'd put him a bit below Samus...wherever she is on this tier list.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Considering that Samus nearly kills Ridley in all of their encounters, I would put Samus in a tier above Ridley.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Considering that Samus nearly kills Ridley in all of their encounters, I would put Samus in a tier above Ridley.
That's not how tiers work. Tiers work based on how many favorable and unfavorable matchups a certain character has.

Let me put it this way; Link can beat Ganon. Does that mean he's a higher tier than Ganon? No. He'd still lose badly against Mewtwo and Samus and whatnot. He just has a favorable matchup against a top tier.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Ganon died, as well.
The King of Hyrule basically wished that he was dead in the Wind Waker timeline, and did you see him come back?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ganon died, as well.
The King of Hyrule basically wished that he was dead in the Wind Waker timeline, and did you see him come back?
Kind of.

He's still alive in other timelines. And he reincarnates even when he dies, as seen after Twilight Princess.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
92A571_0D522F62126A4_001.gif

"I don't believe in magic and fairies bullsh*t" *Navi dies*

xD well, no matter what, Ridley will be for me the most awesome,intelligent, strong and handsome dragon villain bast@rd ever...

C: I just LOVE him way too much!

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Considering Porky's actions in Mother 3, I'm apt to disagree with you. Yes, why and how he becomes a villain is tragic, but Porky has no influence from Giygas throughout his romps through time prior to Mother 3, so every decision he makes is his own, including corrupting the citizens of Tazmily Village, turning peaceful, innocent animals into cyborgs/chimeras, purposefully destroying homes utilizing technology that projects focused bolts of lightning, and even taking part in the general corruption and brainwashing of the game's final boss, who..

.. is essentially so stricken with grief about what he did that he commits suicide..

.. so, no, Porky's tragic villain origins begin and end with Mother 2/Earthbound. If you still don't believe me that Porky's a genuine villain:

"...Huh? That monster's name is Claus (Masked Man)? Its name was Claus?! That almost sounds like a person's name! But now it's my robot. Not even a fragment of life remains inside it. It's Master Porky's slave robot! It does whatever I say! It acts on my will alone. It's my double. It doesn't know anything about who you are!" - Porky Minch, Mother 3

The motivations are different for each villain represented or potentially represented.

Ridley is a villain because he kills indiscriminately and does so because he thinks everything else to be inferior.
Ganondorf is a villain because he persists as a genuinely evil force in his canon as an embodiment of hate.
Porky is a villain because everything he does in Mother 3 is simply because he can.
I never said he wasn't a villain I just wouldn't put him in the same category as "bad to the bone" as you put it. "People aren't just inherently evil" comes from Itoi himself in regards to Porky during this interview: http://mother3.starmen.net.s3.amazonaws.com/interviews/m3int_09.html. It is suggested by Itoi that Porky really did all those things for play (obviously in a very extreme and wrong way) and like Dalek_ Kolt said most likely because he wanted friends and because he wanted to be loved. If those were truly his intentions, even though he went about them in the completely wrong way I would not consider him bad to the bone. One thing we have to remember about Porky is that though he traveled in time, he never grew up. He is still the immature brat he was before at heart. That one point makes everything make sense to me. As a teen I can't imagine the power and rush of excitement I would probably have in my younger mind to be the ruler of something where I am in "control". He is a villain but he is flawed for the most part just like any other human (again not in the literal sense of being as terrible as Porky was), and yet like a kid, did not know where to draw the line which makes it easier to understand why Itoi himself called him a symbol of humanity. Whether you agree with this viewpoint or not, one thing we can agree on is that Porky really is one of the most complex villains Nintendo has had.

Sorry for derailing the thread slightly but I will bring my question from the original post to compensate: 3DS Metroid stage?

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
As a joke, instead of having a Metroid stage from Metroid Prime: Hunters, instead the game contains a stage from Metroid: Fusion.
Metroid Fusion is my favorite. Super Metroid is a close second.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Looks like we're going through the deep psychological cycle now.

Someone should make a chart of the cycles this thread goes through.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Again, we need a matter of scale here. In a true no holds barred beatdown, Mewtwo would win any fight. Sure, Ridley wrecked an entire room, but so did Starter Pokemon. The Starter Pokemon would wreck your living room and force your parents to repair it. If Mewtwo wasn't holding back, he'd plausibly be able to destroy the entire Earth, maybe the universe, considering in his Mega Evolution stage he has higher stats than Areceus.
Well, looking at the silver lining, you at least gave me a good laugh there.

Look, Mewtwo is capable of destruction, but not on a planetary scale and most DEFINITELY not on an interplanetary scale. No-one in Smash is capable of planetary destruction, at least no-one currently being represented. 'cept maybe Kirby, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

As far as Ridley goes, the guy strikes fear into the hearts of populations on numerous planets. People genuinely know that if you see Ridley and you're not Samus or a Space Pirate, your odds of walking away alive are extremely slim. In comparison, Mewtwo is the equivalent of Bigfoot or UFO sightings in the Pokemon world, tantamount to urban legend and hearsay.

You talk about a sense of scale, but how does a Pokemon's base stats translate into something we can understand? Do we assume that a Pokemon with 300 base stats has the power to wreck a room during a brief, middling Tackle/Scratch fight? Normal Mewtwo's base stats are at 680, and Mega Mewtwo isn't something we can consider because that requires Mewtwo to be captured and bonded with a trainer to accomplish, plus, you need the equivalent items. Since I think most of us can agree that we're not taking from the anime or movies, self-transformation is out of the question. So by that scale we've been given, normal Mewtwo is strong enough to likely destroy a one story house in the equivalent time all by his lonesome.

Kinda makes Mewtwo seem a little less impressive, right?

Whether you agree with this viewpoint or not, one thing we can agree on is that Porky really is one of the most complex villains Nintendo has had.
Oh, I agree that Porky is the most complex villain Nintendo's had. No arguments there.

Sorry for derailing the thread slightly but I will bring my question from the original post to compensate: 3DS Metroid stage?
Itoi's definitely right that people aren't inherently evil, they're usually a byproduct of their surroundings. Porky's a byproduct of his parent's greed and, likely, constant insistence that Porky become something greater. Coupled with sibling rivalry with Picky and, well.. there y'go. Anyway, yeah, I don't want to derail the thread anymore, either, so..

Someone suggested a Nocturnal Habitat stage from Fusion complete with Nightmare boss fight, and I couldn't agree more on that.

Last edited:

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
Let's do it!
AWRIGHT, LE'S DO EEEET.
This took me the better part of the last two days.
...I'm gonna have to put this in a spoiler, it's just too BIG, if you know what I'm sayin'!
HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE.
I'll be here all week, people.

Ridley's Big Ol' Moveset
Movement Speed:
Ground- Slow
Air- Moderate
Dash- Moderate

Number of jumps:

Attack Speed:
Slow

Neutral Attack
Jab: Swipes with his left claw.
2 Jab: Swipe with his right claw.
3 Jab: Chomps the foe, dealing no knockback.
If all three hits connect, this does 15 to 18% to counter the difficulty curve and slow speed.

Tilts
F-tilt:
Ridley sweeps his tail forward at a mid pace, dealing 12% damage in the sourspot and 15% in the sweetspot. This can be tilted to give the user the option of attacking higher or lower during combos.

U-tilt:
Ridley juts his wings upwards, much like charizard's up-tilt, dealing 10% damage and a good knockback.

D-tilt:
Ridley swings his wings downwards, enclosing himself. This deals 8% damage and pulls in nearby opponents.

Smashes
F-smash:
Reels his head back, unleashing a close range explosive blast that deals 12-23% damage with incredible knockback.

U-smash:
Ridley jumps upwards, twirling with wings closed around him, similar to charizard's fly albeit not nearly as high.
This attack pulls affected opponents towards him, dealing no knockback.
Hits 3 times, doing 4% each uncharged and 12% each fully charged.
This attack leaves Ridley airborne, allowing for you to switch to some airgame shenanigans.

D-smash:
Basically Peach's, minus the dress.
Ridley spins on the ground. Enemies directly in the center of the attack are stuck, while enemies on the outer edges are hit away.
The longer this move is charged the longer and faster he spins, essentially making him hit more.
At lowest charge he does 3 hits.
At highest he does 12 hits.
Each hit does 8% damage.
At the end of his spin he shoots his wings outward, doing 10% damage and amazing knockback to anyone stuck in the center of his spin.
Anyone outside of the spin who is hit by his wing takes 5% damage and no knockback.

Aerials
N-air:
Does a diagonal stationary spin.
Hits multiple times at a maximum of 2 hits.
First hit is 4%.
Second hit is 8%, due to the whole death-tail thing he's got goin on.

F-air:
Ridley jabs his tail forward.
Aims slightly diagonally down.
Narrow hitbox, but does 25% damage and high knockback at the tip.
10% damage and low knockback otherwise.

B-air:
Backhand paired with a wing ***** slap.
12% damage with mid knockback.
This attack leaves Ridley facing whatever direction he turned to.

U-air:
Similar to Bowser's U-air.
Ridley swoops his wing upward to hit you with yet another backhanded wing ***** slap.
He's treating you like a wuss.
He wants that damn money.
Don't make him break out the coat hanger.
Does 15% damage.

D-air:
Tail jab straight downward.
Same hitbox as F-air but vertical.
Entire tail causes a meteor smash.
Weaker knockback in the upper tail.
Deadly knockback at the tip.
Does 25% damage.

Special Moves
N-B:
Ridley blows fire, identical to bowser's standard B besides the fact that Ridley can walk while doing it.
In the air, Ridley fires three fireballs downwards that burst on impact, each dealing 10% damage.
(Thanks to GraveJoker for the movement idea, and SchAlternate for the fireball idea.)

F-B:
Similar to Ganananananon's F-B.
Ridley dashes forward, grabbing the first opponent he makes contact with.
He then drags this sorry son of a ***** across the ground.
At the end of the drag he tosses his opponent.
In the air it makes for a good recovery move, as he flies forward hand extended for a decent length.
At the end it doesn't make you helpless, but you cannot use it again until landing.
But beware, if Ridley grabs someone in midair he will dive straight down with them, most likely ending up in both of your deaths.
If he makes contact to the ground during this dive, he will drag them along the floor yet again.
Like the little ***** they are.
Does 30% damage.

U-B:
Very similar to his up-smash.
The vertical length is tripled, though.
At the end of his ascent, Ridley splays out his limbs and wings and lets out a roar, creating a soundwave.
The range of the soundwave is a circle that outlines his body similar to the Vitruvian Man by Leonardo da Vinci.
This attack also does not make you helpless, but can only be used once in the air
The ascent hits enemies skyward, dealing 13% damage.
The roar deals decent knockback, and 8% damage.
If his wings or any limbs hit you during the roar, it will instead do 12% and great knockback.

D-B:
Ridley launches upwards, unleashes a thin beam in a small cone downwards, then slams back to the ground.
If he makes contact during his ascent, he will grab the opponent and slam them down at the ground at the end of the move.
The ascent does no damage of its own.
The beam does 12% damage each hit and no knockback.
The slam does 20% to any grabbed opponent, 35% to anyone under you, and does good knockback.

Grabs and Throws
Really really close range.

Pummel:
Ridley grabs with his right hand and breaths fire directly onto his prey.
Deals 3% Damage per hit.

U-throw:
Ridley tosses his opponet into the air, dealing 8% damage, and decent knockback.

F-throw:
Ridley steps forward, grinding his prey along the ground, deals 10% damage and good knockback.

B-throw:
Ridley does a spin, tosses the opponent diagonally, then fires a beam at them.
The spin does 3%, the toss does 5%, and the beam does 8% and no knockback.

D-throw:
Ridley stomps on his prey, and fires a beam directly into their stupid face.
Does 12% damage and no knockback.

So that's it folks! I hope you enjoy it, 'cuz I sure enjoyed making it.
It's an honor to be making a Ridley moveset as my first moveset.
The %'s may be a bit OP, but you get the general idea.
He's meant to be a tricky character with slow attacks and slow speed but incredible strength.
The strongest, really.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Look, I get that base stats don't mean anything, but the idea that Mewtwo would only be able to wreck a house is preposterous. Maybe not a planet, but definitely a city: The main problem with assuming he can't wreck a planet because he's a legendary Pokemon and they're just legends is that A. Groudon, Kyogre , and Rayquaza created the land, sea, and sky, B. Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina can all distort Time and Space, while Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie gave humans willpower, emotions, and knowledge, and Arceus AT LEAST created Earth. and C. Xerneas and Yveltal are responsible for the Life and Death of every human and Pokemon.
They're all legendary pokemon.
Mewtwo, at least in base stats, is stronger than most of them. In canon, he's probably at least as strong as the lake trio, who are miles stronger than the average Pokemon, capable of wrecking an entire room. So, ultiimately, stating that Mewtwo could only destroy a one-story house is like saying the V-2 rocket could only destroy a house since nukes are clearly stronger, despite it killing at least 9000 civilians. It may be bias speaking on both ends, but Mewtwo is probably about as strong as Bowser, less strong then Ganondorf or Ridley: And even taking that into account, Mewtwo still has his anime voice intact.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
AWRIGHT, LE'S DO EEEET.
...I'm gonna have to put this in a spoiler, it's just too BIG, if you know what I'm sayin'!

Ridley's Big Ol' Moveset
Movement Speed:
Ground- Slow
Air- Moderate
Dash- Moderate

Number of jumps:

Attack Speed:
Slow

Neutral Attack
If all three hits connect, this does 15 to 18% to counter the difficulty curve and slow speed.

Tilts
F-tilt:
Ridley sweeps his tail forward at a mid pace, dealing 12% damage in the sourspot and 15% in the sweetspot. This can be tilted to give the user the option of attacking higher or lower during combos.

U-tilt:
Ridley juts his wings upwards, much like charizard's up-tilt, dealing 10% damage and a good knockback.

D-tilt:
Ridley swings his wings downwards, enclosing himself. This deals 8% damage and pulls in nearby opponents.

Smashes
F-smash:
Reels his head back, unleashing a close range explosive blast that deals 12-23% damage with incredible knockback.

U-smash:
Ridley jumps upwards, twirling with wings closed around him, similar to charizard's fly albeit not nearly as high.
This attack leaves Ridley airborne, allowing for you to switch to some airgame shenanigans.

D-smash:
Ridley spins on the ground. Enemies directly in the center of the attack are stuck, while enemies on the outer edges are hit away.
The longer this move is charged the longer and faster he spins, essentially making him hit more.
Each hit does 8% damage.
At the end of his spin he shoots his wings outward, doing 10% damage and amazing knockback to anyone stuck in the center of his spin.
Anyone outside of the spin who is hit by his wing takes 5% damage and no knockback.

Aerials
N-air:
First hit is 4%.

F-air:

B-air:

U-air:
Ridley swoops his wing upward to hit you with yet another backhanded wing ***** slap.
Does 15% damage.

D-air:
Does 25% damage.

Special Moves
N-B:
Ridley blows fire, identical to bowser's standard B.

F-B:
In the air it makes for a good recovery move, as he flies forward hand extended for a decent length.
At the end it doesn't make you helpless, but you cannot use it again until landing.
But beware, if Ridley grabs someone in midair he will dive straight down with them, most likely ending up in both of your deaths.
If he makes contact to the ground during this dive, he will drag them along the floor yet again.
Does 30% damage.

U-B:
At the end of his ascent, Ridley splays out his limbs and wings and lets out a roar, creating a soundwave.
The range of the soundwave is a circle that outlines his body similar to the Vitruvian Man by Leonardo da Vinci.
This attack also does not make you helpless, but can only be used once in the air
If his wings or any limbs hit you during the roar, it will instead do 12% and great knockback.

D-B:
Ridley launches upwards, unleashes a thin beam in a small cone downwards, then slams back to the ground.
If he makes contact during his ascent, he will grab the opponent and slam them down at the ground at the end of the move.
The slam does 20% to any grabbed opponent, 35% to anyone under you, and does good knockback.

Grabs and Throws

Pummel:
Deals 3% Damage per hit.

U-throw:
Ridley tosses his opponet into the air, dealing 8% damage, and decent knockback.

F-throw:
Ridley steps forward, grinding his prey along the ground, deals 10% damage and good knockback.

B-throw:

D-throw:

He's meant to be a tricky character with slow attacks and slow speed but incredible strength.
The strongest, really.
How about for the N-B fire breath, have him able to move while he does it, since Ridley has done that in the games. This will also make him different to Charizard and Bowser. Otherwise I love this move set. Well done.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
Look, I get that base stats don't mean anything, but the idea that Mewtwo would only be able to wreck a house is preposterous. Maybe not a planet, but definitely a city: The main problem with assuming he can't wreck a planet because he's a legendary Pokemon and they're just legends is that A. Groudon, Kyogre , and Rayquaza created the land, sea, and sky, B. Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina can all distort Time and Space, while Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie gave humans willpower, emotions, and knowledge, and Arceus AT LEAST created Earth. and C. Xerneas and Yveltal are responsible for the Life and Death of every human and Pokemon.
Mewtwo, at least in base stats, is stronger than most of them. In canon, he's probably at least as strong as the lake trio, who are miles stronger than the average Pokemon, capable of wrecking an entire room. So, ultiimately, stating that Mewtwo could only destroy a one-story house is like saying the V-2 rocket could only destroy a house since nukes are clearly stronger, despite it killing at least 9000 civilians. It may be bias speaking on both ends, but Mewtwo is probably about as strong as Bowser, less strong then Ganondorf or Ridley: And even taking that into account, Mewtwo still has his anime voice intact.
I really don't get why people think Mewtwo is Planet level. At best he is city level but I am not sure of that.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
How about for the N-B fire breath, have him able to move while he does it, since Ridley has done that in the games. This will also make him different to Charizard and Bowser. Otherwise I love this move set. Well done.
Ooooh, good idea, man.
I'll go edit that real quick.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
10300987_626823710732535_4794046168675813371_n.jpg

xD My 3 Favorite villains...Here is how I got these...it's kinda funny...

Ridley "bag/box": It was a proyect from the 1st quarter of University...I got help from my sis to make the box, and I did the painting that nearly died because I got the colors way too dark on Ridley...I put some of my drawings in there.

Shen figurine: I had to eat nearly 6 chocolate eggs to get it...I later got an stomachache...but I got it!

Nightmare Moon lunchbox: I was walking/running around all Wallmart looking for it to later find that It was at the very beginning of the freaking store...hidden...

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Why are people talking about MEWTWO destructive capacity in a RIDLEY THREAD, you guys are talking as if we were in a dragon ball forum

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Look, I get that base stats don't mean anything, but the idea that Mewtwo would only be able to wreck a house is preposterous.
Is it truly that preposterous? As I said before, there's a ton of evidence that Pokedex entries are fabricated, and even more evidence that most Pokemon aren't as powerful as they're insinuated to be. What's worse is that how would anyone put anything into the Pokedex for something like Mewtwo without catching it? What proof does anyone in the Pokemon world have besides the games insinuating he escapes captivity and wrecks a mansion. By our calculations of base stats, Mewtwo shouldn't have much issue wrecking a mansion in the time it takes freshly bred starter Pokemon to Scratch and Tackle their way to a victory in a cramped bedroom.

Maybe not a planet, but definitely a city: The main problem with assuming he can't wreck a planet because he's a legendary Pokemon and they're just legends is that A. Groudon, Kyogre , and Rayquaza created the land, sea, and sky, B. Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina can all distort Time and Space, while Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie gave humans willpower, emotions, and knowledge, and Arceus AT LEAST created Earth. and C. Xerneas and Yveltal are responsible for the Life and Death of every human and Pokemon.
Right. Logically, they could all do some crazy damage.. but they don't, and there's no real evidence they even did or do any of that stuff. Giratina is really the only genuine example we have, and he comes from a separate dimension, presumably from a dimension where Pokemon aren't weak. In a similar vein, if these Pokemon were truly legendary and capable of controlling and distorting time and space, how are they even capable of being caught by a ten year old? For that matter, how can you capture that which is omnipotent? If Arceus is the creator of all Pokemon, it should feasibly have the power to will away a ten year old clear from existence with a thought. Again, these things never happen, because none of these Pokemon are actually legitimately capable of these feats. Argue about it all you want, but the power of Pokemon is, unfortunately, greatly exaggerated.

Why are people talking about MEWTWO destructive capacity in a RIDLEY THREAD, you guys are talking as if we were in a dragon ball forum
It mostly started as a means of trying to gauge Ridley's destructiveness, actually, and that started when someone mentioned the 'Who's the Strongest Canonically?' thread.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
AWRIGHT, LE'S DO EEEET.

Ridley's Big Ol' Moveset
Movement Speed:
Ground- Slow
Air- Moderate
Dash- Moderate

Number of jumps:

Attack Speed:
Slow

Neutral Attack

Tilts
F-tilt:

U-tilt:

D-tilt:

Smashes
F-smash:

U-smash:

D-smash:
Each hit does 8% damage.

Aerials
N-air:
First hit is 4%.

F-air:

B-air:

U-air:
Does 15% damage.

D-air:
Does 25% damage.

Special Moves
N-B:
Ridley blows fire, identical to bowser's standard B besides the fact that Ridley can walk while doing it.
(Thanks to GraveJoker for the movement idea.)

F-B:
Does 30% damage.

U-B:

D-B:

Grabs and Throws

Pummel:
Deals 3% Damage per hit.

U-throw:

F-throw:

B-throw:

D-throw:

The strongest, really.
I really like this moveset, though I think his Neutral B oughta be his fireball attack in Super Metroid, where he launches three fireballs downwards.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I really like this moveset, though I think his Neutral B oughta be his fireball attack in Super Metroid, where he launches three fireballs downwards.
Edited and credited.
I made that an aerial function for his standard B, giving it even more diversity.
Thanks for the idea.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
...If humanity doesn't learn how to use simple deductive logic, they are going to KILL themselves some day.
Speaking of which, any more arguments against Ridley and suddenly K. Rool being too big?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Please try to keep discussion about Ridley. As awesome as Mewtwo is, talking about Mewtwo in the Ridley thread is off-topic.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
OK, yeah, my post was at least partially an attempt to bring things back on track.
Now, here's a real question:
Is the Metroid manga "canon?" Should Sakurai use it to characterize Ridley, or should he do something else entirely?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
OK, yeah, my post was at least partially an attempt to bring things back on track.
Now, here's a real question:
Is the Metroid manga "canon?" Should Sakurai use it to characterize Ridley, or should he do something else entirely?
Yah, the manga is sorta a Zero Mission prequel of sorts.

Though they could use the Other M characterization. At least only Ridley's body was ruined, not his character.

D

Deleted member

AWRIGHT, LE'S DO EEEET.

Ridley's Big Ol' Moveset
Movement Speed:
Ground- Slow
Air- Moderate
Dash- Moderate

Number of jumps:

Attack Speed:
Slow

Neutral Attack

Tilts
F-tilt:

U-tilt:

D-tilt:

Smashes
F-smash:

U-smash:

D-smash:
Each hit does 8% damage.

Aerials
N-air:
First hit is 4%.

F-air:

B-air:

U-air:
Does 15% damage.

D-air:
Does 25% damage.

Special Moves
N-B:
(Thanks to GraveJoker for the movement idea.)

F-B:
Does 30% damage.

U-B:

D-B:

Grabs and Throws

Pummel:
Deals 3% Damage per hit.

U-throw:

F-throw:

B-throw:

D-throw:

The strongest, really.
A solid (if not a little OP damage-wise) moveset, I have a few questions:
You say that Ridley's third attack of his neutral combo string will deal no knockback, what exactly do you mean by this? Furthermore, does the third hit of this string deal significant hitstun? If not, then considering that you have chosen to define Ridley as a slow character with high strength, would Ridley be punishable even if he connects with the third hit of this combo string?

With regards to his tilts:
How far is the range of his F-tilt, relatively speaking, would it have the range say, to reach the edge of Battlefield from the center-side of one of the lower platforms? Or it would have a mid-long range similar to DK's F-Tilt? Also, what would be the trajectory of this move, would it be set, or differ depending on move contact (sweet/sourspot), etc.?

For his U-Tilt, would it be a proper assumption that it would have greater range then Charizard's U-tilt since Ridley's character model (and thus his hitboxes) would naturally be larger than Charizard's? Going back to Ridley being a slower, heavy hitter, would this move also be slower than Charizard's U-tilt?

For his D-Tilt, since it would logically hit both sides of him, would it not be logical (for balance's sake) that it would deal fairly low damage (moreso than other D-tilts, which typically don't don't deal much damage any way, but never hit both sides).

With regards to his smash attacks:
Would his F-Smash have a range similar to Mega Man's (making it tied for what could be the longest F-Smash range in the game?). If not, would it be more like Snake's with an explosion directly in front of him at his feet? Also, could you elaborate on the trajectory of the knockback (strictly horizontal, mostly vertical, etc).?

For his U-Smash, would it's vertical coverage be so large that he could "jump" from the ground to one of the lower Battlefield platforms during the move? If not, what is the approximate vertical coverage of this move? Also, you say that it leaves him airborne, does this mean that he will hover for a moment after finishing the move or would he immediately begin to fall back to the ground (if he simply falls, would there be time enough to execute an aerial before he reaches the ground again?)?

For his D-Smash, what would be the approximate horizontal range of this move? Also, would it typically ensnare all enemies which it touches during the move or only those who are very close to Ridley? Also, assuming the wing spreading would have slightly more horizontal coverage than the spin of this move, approximately how far would the wings reach horizontally speaking?

With regards to his Aerials:

For his Nair, would Ridley's revolution during the attack be similar, faster, or slower than that of Charizard's Nair (I assume slower since Ridley is presumably a heavier hitter than Charizard)?

For his Fair, would the angle below Ridley be approximately 30 degrees, 60 degrees, etc.?

For his Uair, what exactly would the animation of this attack look like? Would Ridley do a back flip/forward flip in order to get his wings in position or would he simply lean forward and then swing backwards (striking with his wings) if this similar to Bowser's Uair?

For his Dair, would his tail at maximum length have a vertical range similar to Mega Man's Dair (would it be similar to a sex kick in that late contact could cause damage, or a simple straight jab)? Also, would the starting lag of this move be low (very fast execution similar to Diddy's Dair?) or high (closer to Charizard's Dair speed, if not slower)?

With regards to his Special Moves:

Would the horizontal coverage of his Side-B be the same, longer, or shorter than Ganondorf's Flame Choke? Also, would it move at the same speed, faster, slower etc.? Also, if Ridley grabs initiates the grab while on a platform (ground contact) would it be possible for him to travel enough horizontal distance during the floor grind that he could move off the platform, dive to lower ground, and then grind his opponent again?

For his Down-B, how many hits maximum could the beam produce? Also, how high would Ridley launch off of the ground during the ascent of this move? What approximately would be the overall range of the beams he fires, would they simply be shot at the space directly in front and below him, or could they be some small distance across the stage? When he grabs an opponent, would the opponent thus be subjected to all of the hits produced by the beam that Ridley fires or would the beam Ridley fires be altogether independent (damage-wise) of Ridley's ascent and descent for this move?

With regards to his grabs:

Why would his grab range be very short? I feel this would be uncharacteristic of Ridley considering that he has fairly long limbs and large hands. Also, for his Back Throw, would all three hits always connect, or can the opponent DI out of the projectile of the throw (like in Mewtwo's forward throw)?

On a miscellaneous note, can Ridley glide?

These are basically all the questions I have at the moment regarding the moveset you've created.

Thank you in advance for reading and responding.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
How do you and anybody else think of Other M? I am not much of a fan, especially the whole Ridley part of it.
Other M is what you call the opposite of popular.
Now, in my opinion, Ridley was perfectly characterized; He was an intelligent strategist (feigning death so that he could murder researchers and escape), could take advantage of the environment (hiding in a spot that Samus couldn't see him launch a surprise attack), knew his limits (high-tailing it out of there once Anthony pulls out the Plasma Beam) and was a complete sadist (taking time to play with and torture Samus). It was Samus and Adam who were hit with bad writing.

It's a real shame Ridley was a Furby that evolved into a steroid duck. He was closer than any game in setting him up as more than a mindless reoccurring monster. Which is why, as much as I hate to admit it, I believe Other M cements Ridley's rightful place in the roster.

Last edited:

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
How do you and anybody else think of Other M? I am not much of a fan, especially the whole Ridley part of it.
I personally thought it wasn't too bad.
The story was forced and stale, but the gameplay was fun and felt like a natural evolution of the metroid series, specifically Super Metroid.
But then again, I actually really like Ridley's bulky design in it, so I may not be the best judge.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
I personally thought it wasn't too bad.
The story was forced and stale, but the gameplay was fun and felt like a natural evolution of the metroid series, specifically Super Metroid.
But then again, I actually really like Ridley's bulky design in it, so I may not be the best judge.
I like it to besides the duck face. If they put any other Ridley head on that body I would be fine.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't put Porky in that category at all, he did some evil things but the reasons he ended up that way were tragic and there is evidence he is still human. I don't feel like explaining so your welcome: http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Pokey_Minch

Anyways, are there any ideas for 3DS Metroid stages? Something from Hunters or Fusion is the only thing I can think of but there isn't one thing from either of those games that sticks out to me as stageworthy (TBH I haven't played Hunters so...)
Honestly I think a stage based on Metroid Pinball would be kinda cool/funny, it'd be with a platform going between the places with them as the background, highly unlikely but i'd like it. Even though they are just places from Prime.

Last edited:

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
Well, the Ridley in Other M is an imperfect clone of Ridley taken from DNA found stuck to Samus's Power Suit after Super Metroid.
There's always that possibility that Smash Ridley takes certain things from all the Ridley iterations. That would be interesting. A Ridley to end all Ridleys. Until the next Metroid that is. :colorful:

Top Bottom