• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Bowser does have his moments too, like in Galaxy where he was set to rule over the freaking universe. But other then that Ridley, Ganon(dorf), Porky, and K. Rool are the only true blue bad to the bone villains, at least when it comes to possible roster inclusions (I'm not counting on Ghirahim).

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Oh, wow, I completely forgot about that.
I always felt that Mother Brain was not outside of the realm of possibilities, and Mother Brain is pretty darn evil as well.

This is a pretty good philosophy, although I'd hate to support it.
MAMA BRAIN'S TOO BIG
(Also too inhuman)
On the bright side, my philosophy has confirmed Ridley, some Awakening representative, Palutena, and Mewtwo.

K. Rool and a new Zelda rep are somewhat possible.

Sadly, in my eyes, Isaac, Takamaru and other characters from franchises that haven't had representing fighters have no chance, but as I said, its not perfect.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
MAMA BRAIN'S TOO BIG
(Also too inhuman)
If you use her Super Metroid final boss form..

.. it's possible to shrink her down to make her legitimately playable, while giving people nightmares at the same time.

Though I'll be honest, I'd rather see her as an epic boss fight that begins in the hallway, Mother Brain-in-a-jar and culminates in a fight with this. Great way to give homage to Metroid as a series, 'cause it's one of Metroid's most defining and memorable moments.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
So how bout that hinting at Wii Fit Trainer? :awesome:
Well, the game was just announced, so unless we're talkin' Takamaru, there was no hinting to be done. But Rosalina and Greninja?
I don't think so.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This isn't the finished product (in fact this is a completely separate sketch to the one I'll be painting with color and everything), but here's my first crack at Ridley.

Not really satisfied with how his jaws and hands turned out but eh, it's only my first attempt.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
If you use her Super Metroid final boss form..

.. it's possible to shrink her down to make her legitimately playable, while giving people nightmares at the same time.

Though I'll be honest, I'd rather see her as an epic boss fight that begins in the hallway, Mother Brain-in-a-jar and culminates in a fight with this. Great way to give homage to Metroid as a series, 'cause it's one of Metroid's most defining and memorable moments.
.__. Um, It's not for being mean and stuff but...

Mother brain's "belly" looks like a butt with cellulite in that concept....

012 (2).gif

"pffffffft....hehehe.....butt...."

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
This isn't the finished product (in fact this is a completely separate sketch to the one I'll be painting with color and everything), but here's my first crack at Ridley.

Not really satisfied with how his jaws and hands turned out but eh, it's only my first attempt.
It... certainly needs some improvements. Especially with the jaws and the hands. And the fact that his body is essentially a ball.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
.__. Um, It's not for being mean and stuff but...

Mother brain's "belly" looks like a butt with cellulite in that concept....

View attachment 15239
"pffffffft....hehehe.....butt...."
I always felt like the concept art made her crotch look like a glorified scrotum, but that's just me. Seriously, Mother Brain's 'ultimate form' is just friggin' disturbing, though I guess that was the whole point of it.

I mean, I'm not seriously suggesting Mother Brain be playable, but if they ever seriously considered it, it'd likely be that incarnation of her they'd have decided on. All you gotta do after that is tack on an explanation for her return in one of her trophies and bam, you're all done.

AndreaAC

It... certainly needs some improvements. Especially with the jaws and the hands. And the fact that his body is essentially a ball.
Oh, come on, give him a chance, it is his second attempt.... :( I wish i could say that I learned to draw Rids in a day and night, but that wouldn't be true...

Really, it looks pretty good for a first second attempt....

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Haha, think I'll call him "Rotundley" for that. :laugh:

But yes, definitely could use more detail. Then again it is the second sketch I've ever done, so things should only get better from here.

AndreaAC

Haha, think I'll call him "Rotundley" for that. :laugh:

But yes, definitely could use more detail. Then again it is the second sketch I've ever done, so things should only get better from here.
I say that, you should concentrate first on Ridley's figure and when you are actually satisfied on how he came out, ad the details....

If you come up with some poses using basic shapes like triangles, spheres and lines it gets easier to draw him.

Ridley_doodle_collection_by_Seven_Flames - copia.jpg

Something like this....it is one of the doodles from the artist I learned to draw Rids....

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Mario Galaxy and Lumiose City.
Not everything has to foreshadow something, especially with stages like Poke Floats, Rainbow Cruise, Yoshi's Story, 75m, Hanenbow, and Pictochat. None of those are feasibly connected to a character besides Donkey Kong and Yoshi, and even then Donkey Kong is explicitly a DKC character within Smash, while Yoshi had his own stage. So, really, that's not really foreshadowing.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Mario Galaxy and Lumiose City.
Not everything has to foreshadow something, especially with stages like Poke Floats, Rainbow Cruise, Yoshi's Story, 75m, Hanenbow, and Pictochat. None of those are feasibly connected to a character besides Donkey Kong and Yoshi, and even then Donkey Kong is explicitly a DKC character within Smash, while Yoshi had his own stage. So, really, that's not really foreshadowing.
Indeed. Smashville in Brawl wants to have a word.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
No, but Mario Galaxy and Lumiose City are stages with established franchises rather than a peripheral like Pilotwings.

Mark my words, we're going to get Chrom, Lucina, Robin, or Anna because Marth and Ike had little to no connection with Arena Ferox.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
No, but Mario Galaxy and Lumiose City are stages with established franchises rather than a peripheral like Pilotwings.

Mark my words, we're going to get Chrom, Lucina, Robin, or Anna because Marth and Ike had little to no connection with Arena Ferox.
Only Roy comes back. :troll:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman

I feel like Fire Emblem is a special case: Pretty much every game could be part of it's own series. Meanwhile, "Super Mario Galaxy and Lumiose City are part of established franchises" is about as much argument against playable representatives than for. I mean, look at it this way: This series has 4 characters, tons of items, and a few assist trophies. Why not add a few extra stages, for the hell of it?

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Bowser does have his moments too, like in Galaxy where he was set to rule over the freaking universe. But other then that Ridley, Ganon(dorf), Porky, and K. Rool are the only true blue bad to the bone villains, at least when it comes to possible roster inclusions (I'm not counting on Ghirahim).
I wouldn't put Porky in that category at all, he did some evil things but the reasons he ended up that way were tragic and there is evidence he is still human. I don't feel like explaining so your welcome: http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Pokey_Minch

Anyways, are there any ideas for 3DS Metroid stages? Something from Hunters or Fusion is the only thing I can think of but there isn't one thing from either of those games that sticks out to me as stageworthy (TBH I haven't played Hunters so...)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I wouldn't put Porky in that category at all, he did some evil things but the reasons he ended up that way were tragic and there is evidence he is still human. I don't feel like explaining so your welcome: http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Pokey_Minch

Anyways, are there any ideas for 3DS Metroid stages? Something from Hunters or Fusion is the only thing I can think of but there isn't one thing from either of those games that sticks out to me as stageworthy (TBH I haven't played Hunters so...)
Sector 4? Nightmare would make one hell of a boss.

Or maybe Kraid's lair from Zero Mission?

AndreaAC

SCAN0203.JPG

"TIME FOR DINNER!"

xD Just a drawing out of boredom....If you wonder why it has his right leg and arm like Omega....it's just because I can, and I followed a friend's advise...also...random Birdie...

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So what kind of taunts would Ridley even have? I mean, outside of the roaring that guys like Charizard and Bowser have? Usually most characters have some kind of pose they can reference from a previous game.

View attachment 15245
"TIME FOR DINNER!"

xD Just a drawing out of boredom....If you wonder why it has his right leg and arm like Omega....it's just because I can, and I followed a friend's advise...also...random Birdie...
That looks pretty cool. How long have you been practicing your art?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Considering Porky's actions in Mother 3, I'm apt to disagree with you. Yes, why and how he becomes a villain is tragic, but Porky has no influence from Giygas throughout his romps through time prior to Mother 3, so every decision he makes is his own, including corrupting the citizens of Tazmily Village, turning peaceful, innocent animals into cyborgs/chimeras, purposefully destroying homes utilizing technology that projects focused bolts of lightning, and even taking part in the general corruption and brainwashing of the game's final boss, who..

.. is essentially so stricken with grief about what he did that he commits suicide..

.. so, no, Porky's tragic villain origins begin and end with Mother 2/Earthbound. If you still don't believe me that Porky's a genuine villain:

"...Huh? That monster's name is Claus (Masked Man)? Its name was Claus?! That almost sounds like a person's name! But now it's my robot. Not even a fragment of life remains inside it. It's Master Porky's slave robot! It does whatever I say! It acts on my will alone. It's my double. It doesn't know anything about who you are!" - Porky Minch, Mother 3

The motivations are different for each villain represented or potentially represented.

Ridley is a villain because he kills indiscriminately and does so because he thinks everything else to be inferior.
Ganondorf is a villain because he persists as a genuinely evil force in his canon as an embodiment of hate.
Porky is a villain because everything he does in Mother 3 is simply because he can.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

So what kind of taunts would Ridley even have? I mean, outside of the roaring that guys like Charizard and Bowser have? Usually most characters have some kind of pose they can reference from a previous game.

That looks pretty cool. How long have you been practicing your art?
:3 thank you! Um...well, I actually don't remember how much time I have been practicing....but if it is Ridley specifically, it was since 2006, i guess? xD

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Considering Porky's actions in Mother 3, I'm apt to disagree with you. Yes, why he becomes a villain is tragic, but Porky has no influence from Giygas throughout his romps through time prior to Mother 3, so every decision he makes is his own, including corrupting the citizens of Tazmily Village, turning peaceful, innocent animals into cyborgs/chimeras, purposefully destroying homes utilizing technology that projects focused bolts of lightning, and even taking part in the general corruption and brainwashing of the game's final boss, who..

.. is essentially so stricken with grief about what he did that he commits suicide..

.. so, no, Porky's tragic villain origins begin and end with Mother 2/Earthbound. If you still don't believe me that Porky's a genuine villain:

"...Huh? That monster's name is Claus (Masked Man)? Its name was Claus?! That almost sounds like a person's name! But now it's my robot. Not even a fragment of life remains inside it. It's Master Porky's slave robot! It does whatever I say! It acts on my will alone. It's my double. It doesn't know anything about who you are!" - Porky Minch, Mother 3

The motivations are different for each villain represented or potentially represented.

Ridley is a villain because he kills indiscriminately and does so because he thinks everything else to be inferior.
Ganondorf is a villain because he persists as a genuinely evil force in his canon as an embodiment of hate, and typically aims to completely conquer Hyrule.
Porky is a villain because everything he does in Mother 3 is simply because he can.
To be fair, Porky has a COUPLE redeeming factors in 3.

In some twisted way, he did consider Ness as a friend in the end. He does have multiple mementos to the boy he constantly antagonized. However, the Minches upbringing made him believe that the only way to gain friends was to belittle, condescend, and in general prove that he was better than the ones he wanted to hang out with.

It can be argued that all Porky wanted was to be loved, which would explain the robotic duplicates of his own mother and the brainwashings to make people love him.

Finally, asides from the chimeras, A ton of Porky's changes to the islands seem to be made with the purpose of recreating his home, owing to how he is trapped in that era. It's only when he realizes that he can never go home again and that nobody would ever willingly love him that he goes the route of destroying the world.

Not saying that excuses his atrocities. But hey, at least it explains them.

And hey, I'm probably totally wrong and Porky was just bad, plain and simple. But it lends credence to the idea that Porky Minch is one of the greatest, well-developed Nintendo villains of all time.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I'd be interested in seeing your first attempt, if at all possible. :drsad:
oh my, I wish I could show you! but It disappeared....maybe it got swallowed by earth....xD Or that after I saw it many years later I didn't wanted to remember the frustrating old days when I did it..... :( actually, I have no idea what happened to it...

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
To be fair, Porky has a COUPLE redeeming factors in 3.
All right. I'll entertain you.

In some twisted way, he did consider Ness as a friend in the end. He does have multiple mementos to the boy he constantly antagonized. However, the Minches upbringing made him believe that the only way to gain friends was to belittle, condescend, and in general prove that he was better than the ones he wanted to hang out with.
I can't argue that the Minch's upbringing was poor, considering it's heavily insinuated they're beaten when they do something wrong, but a lot of Porky's character traits came from his father: he's greedy, he's condescending, he feels that he should be considered better than everyone else. All of these character traits are obvious in Mother 2/Earthbound, and also still present in Mother 3, so that makes you wonder how much genuine influence Giygas had over the kid from the beginning. The downward spiral was probably sometime after he crashes the Monotoli copter.

Also, yeah, Porky does consider Ness a friend, but the kind of things that he has of Ness's and the 'memories' of a trip he was never actually a part of means he was pretty much obsessed, to stalker levels. A lot of the things you find in New Pork City that refer back to Mother 2/Earthbound are, for the most part, all things Ness touched or was a part of. Porky had nothing to do with it. That's stalker behavior.

It can be argued that all Porky wanted was to be loved, which would explain the robotic duplicates of his own mother and the brainwashings to make people love him.
The brainwashing that was going on in Tazmily Village was more to placate the populace. The robotic duplicates of his own mother would definitely be more indicative of his need to be loved, so I can't argue there.

Finally, asides from the chimeras, A ton of Porky's changes to the islands seem to be made with the purpose of recreating his home, owing to how he is trapped in that era. It's only when he realizes that he can never go home again and that nobody would ever willingly love him that he goes the route of destroying the world.

Not saying that excuses his atrocities. But hey, at least it explains them.
These are all still conscious decisions he makes, though. He consciously decides to invade an entire island, consciously decides to screw up nature, consciously decides to experiment on helpless animals, consciously decides to ruin the lives of other people, consciously decides to destroy the homes and people that won't willingly be placated, consciously decides to casually end the world when he discovers he can. They're all conscious decisions made by someone who's clearly of the same right mind and mannerisms as when he left his own time, and all the things he undoubtedly did across time were all conscious decisions, as well.

We can't chalk up or excuse any decisions he makes in Mother 3 because, unlike Mother 2/Earthbound, there's no evil influence. Porky acts the same in Mother 3 as he does throughout the entirety of Mother 2/Earthbound. He's a genuinely villainous person, and if Giygas had any real influence in Porky's transformation from unassuming brat to genuine villain, it was simply to push him in the right direction for it.

And hey, I'm probably totally wrong and Porky was just bad, plain and simple. But it lends credence to the idea that Porky Minch is one of the greatest, well-developed Nintendo villains of all time.
At the end of the day, a lot of it's theory crafting, but all the evidence points to Porky doing everything he does in Mother 3 simply because he can. Heck, based on what we see in Mother 3, it insinuates that a lot of what Porky does in Mother 2/Earthbound is his own conscious decision to do. He even admits later on in the game that Giygas is clearly not in his right mind, so it actually raises the inevitable burning question: was it Giygas's influence that took advantage of Porky and pushed him down the path of villainy, or was Porky simply taking advantage of a psychologically crumbling Giygas to put himself into a position of power? The latter certainly seems possible.

tl;dr: Porky is a villain 'cause all signs point to him doing the things he does simply because he can.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Something that came into my mind: how pwerful is Ridley compared to the other Smash characters? There is the thread "Who's canonically the strongest character in Smash?", but since he isn't playable yet, I didn't think it should be asked there. I bet he would stand very well among the others: he has an invincible tail, can take Super Missiles/Charged Beams like it's nothing, can survive an incredible large and fast fall and can defy gravity by using his to fly in space

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Something that came into my mind: how pwerful is Ridley compared to the other Smash characters? There is the thread "Who's canonically the strongest character in Smash?", but since he isn't playable yet, I didn't think it should be asked there. I bet he would stand very well among the others: he has an invincible tail, can take Super Missiles/Charged Beams like it's nothing, can survive an incredible large and fast fall and can defy gravity by using his to fly in space
Mewtwo is the strongest Pokemon, and therefore the strongest Smasher by default despite his uselessness.
You have to remember, some basic starter level Pokemon in Black and White can WRECK AN ENTIRE ROOM if you're not careful.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think Ridley would probably be comparable to Bowser or Mewtwo in terms of canon power, but can easily be killed by someone such as Ganondorf (who has the power of the gods), Marth (who slays dragons), and Samus.

Remember that Ridley can be killed by ordinary kinetic weaponry. Some of the Smash fighters literally have divine protection behind their backs.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ganondorf can only be killed by the Master Sword and Silver/Light Arrows. I think we can put Ridley on, if just a little below, Ganon's level.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Mewtwo is the strongest Pokemon, and therefore the strongest Smasher by default despite his uselessness.
You have to remember, some basic starter level Pokemon in Black and White can WRECK AN ENTIRE ROOM if you're not careful.
I'd imagine Ridley's far more destructive and intelligent than the average Pokemon. If we compare Ridley to Mewtwo, yeah, Mewtwo's going to wreck Ridley's crap something fierce. Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle should theoretically not stand a chance against Ridley. The guy's just way too smart and ruthless.

Plus, we also have to keep in mind that Pokemon never really kill in the video games. They just 'KO' opponents, and that implies that they're either purposefully holding back or just genuinely not as powerful as they're made out to be. Similarly, a lot of the Pokedex entries have evidence of being completely fabricated.

Anyway, if you're not careful, any Smasher can wreck an entire room. I should know. I invited Ridley to chill on the couch and he wrecked my living room and ate my parents. :<

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I'd imagine Ridley's far more destructive and intelligent than the average Pokemon. If we compare Ridley to Mewtwo, yeah, Mewtwo's going to wreck Ridley's crap something fierce. Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle should theoretically not stand a chance against Ridley. The guy's just way too smart and ruthless.

Plus, we also have to keep in mind that Pokemon never really kill in the video games. They just 'KO' opponents, and that applies that they're either purposefully holding back or just genuinely not as powerful as they're made out to be. Similarly, a lot of the Pokedex entries have evidence of being completely fabricated.

Anyway, if you're not careful, any Smasher can wreck an entire room. I should know. I invited Ridley to chill on the couch and he wrecked my living room and ate my parents. :<
Again, we need a matter of scale here. In a true no holds barred beatdown, Mewtwo would win any fight. Sure, Ridley wrecked an entire room, but so did Starter Pokemon. The Starter Pokemon would wreck your living room and force your parents to repair it. If Mewtwo wasn't holding back, he'd plausibly be able to destroy the entire Earth, maybe the universe, considering in his Mega Evolution stage he has higher stats than Areceus. After all, Pokemon were so powerful they basically replaced war weapons in the Pokemon world, (for the most part, at least.) I agree with you on most of this post, though. Ridley would probably kick the ass out of Pikachu, if the Pikachu we were talking about wasn't Ash's in all but ownership.

Top Bottom