• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
A solid (if not a little OP damage-wise) moveset, I have a few questions:
You say that Ridley's third attack of his neutral combo string will deal no knockback, what exactly do you mean by this? Furthermore, does the third hit of this string deal significant hitstun? If not, then considering that you have chosen to define Ridley as a slow character with high strength, would Ridley be punishable even if he connects with the third hit of this combo string?

With regards to his tilts:
How far is the range of his F-tilt, relatively speaking, would it have the range say, to reach the edge of Battlefield from the center-side of one of the lower platforms? Or it would have a mid-long range similar to DK's F-Tilt? Also, what would be the trajectory of this move, would it be set, or differ depending on move contact (sweet/sourspot), etc.?

For his U-Tilt, would it be a proper assumption that it would have greater range then Charizard's U-tilt since Ridley's character model (and thus his hitboxes) would naturally be larger than Charizard's? Going back to Ridley being a slower, heavy hitter, would this move also be slower than Charizard's U-tilt?

For his D-Tilt, since it would logically hit both sides of him, would it not be logical (for balance's sake) that it would deal fairly low damage (moreso than other D-tilts, which typically don't don't deal much damage any way, but never hit both sides).

With regards to his smash attacks:
Would his F-Smash have a range similar to Mega Man's (making it tied for what could be the longest F-Smash range in the game?). If not, would it be more like Snake's with an explosion directly in front of him at his feet? Also, could you elaborate on the trajectory of the knockback (strictly horizontal, mostly vertical, etc).?

For his U-Smash, would it's vertical coverage be so large that he could "jump" from the ground to one of the lower Battlefield platforms during the move? If not, what is the approximate vertical coverage of this move? Also, you say that it leaves him airborne, does this mean that he will hover for a moment after finishing the move or would he immediately begin to fall back to the ground (if he simply falls, would there be time enough to execute an aerial before he reaches the ground again?)?

For his D-Smash, what would be the approximate horizontal range of this move? Also, would it typically ensnare all enemies which it touches during the move or only those who are very close to Ridley? Also, assuming the wing spreading would have slightly more horizontal coverage than the spin of this move, approximately how far would the wings reach horizontally speaking?

With regards to his Aerials:

For his Nair, would Ridley's revolution during the attack be similar, faster, or slower than that of Charizard's Nair (I assume slower since Ridley is presumably a heavier hitter than Charizard)?

For his Fair, would the angle below Ridley be approximately 30 degrees, 60 degrees, etc.?

For his Uair, what exactly would the animation of this attack look like? Would Ridley do a back flip/forward flip in order to get his wings in position or would he simply lean forward and then swing backwards (striking with his wings) if this similar to Bowser's Uair?

For his Dair, would his tail at maximum length have a vertical range similar to Mega Man's Dair (would it be similar to a sex kick in that late contact could cause damage, or a simple straight jab)? Also, would the starting lag of this move be low (very fast execution similar to Diddy's Dair?) or high (closer to Charizard's Dair speed, if not slower)?

With regards to his Special Moves:

Would the horizontal coverage of his Side-B be the same, longer, or shorter than Ganondorf's Flame Choke? Also, would it move at the same speed, faster, slower etc.? Also, if Ridley grabs initiates the grab while on a platform (ground contact) would it be possible for him to travel enough horizontal distance during the floor grind that he could move off the platform, dive to lower ground, and then grind his opponent again?

For his Down-B, how many hits maximum could the beam produce? Also, how high would Ridley launch off of the ground during the ascent of this move? What approximately would be the overall range of the beams he fires, would they simply be shot at the space directly in front and below him, or could they be some small distance across the stage? When he grabs an opponent, would the opponent thus be subjected to all of the hits produced by the beam that Ridley fires or would the beam Ridley fires be altogether independent (damage-wise) of Ridley's ascent and descent for this move?

With regards to his grabs:

Why would his grab range be very short? I feel this would be uncharacteristic of Ridley considering that he has fairly long limbs and large hands. Also, for his Back Throw, would all three hits always connect, or can the opponent DI out of the projectile of the throw (like in Mewtwo's forward throw)?

On a miscellaneous note, can Ridley glide?

These are basically all the questions I have at the moment regarding the moveset you've created.

Thank you in advance for reading and responding.
Honestly I'm not skilled enough of a player or moveset creator to balance this well.
If you'd like you could run through and edit it to make it more balanced.
I'd really appreciate it, actually. You seem to know what you're doing.
Consider it a cooperative effort as two Ridley fans.
If you're not game for that I could do some research and try to balance it better myself.

majora_787

Smash Hero
How do you and anybody else think of Other M? I am not much of a fan, especially the whole Ridley part of it.
Skip below this if you don't care. Because I have other totally unrelated stuff to throw out after this.

I consider Other M ridiculously underrated, which is hilarious to me because it's not a game I would call near the metroid standard of quality, let alone above it. I mean it's better than Fusion or Prime Hunters (excluding its multiplayer), and isn't as dated as Metroid NES or Metroid 2, but that really doesn't say much. I mean that's like grading a Sonic game by going "It's better than Sonic 06 and less dated than the original Sonic the Hedgehog".

I think the designs were perfectly fine, though the actual modeling of the designs were problematic. I think they spent too much time and effort trying to make it a movie with a plot when that stuff really shouldn't be the foremost priority in a Metroid game. I think it shouldn't have taken place entirely on a ship or so linear because that's really just a bad omen combination for a Metroid game. I think it's ridiculous that people say Other M "ruined Samus' character" when there was nothing there and said it "Ruined Ridley" when it really didn't have any effect on him in any way other than giving a vague glimpse into his life process that wasn't present in other games.

I also think it's excessive and immature that people are whining about calling the game "non-canon" because they don't like it when that really is just a ridiculous thing to do.

TL;DR

I think it was 'okay I guess' as a sort of intermission Metroid while Retro went from working on Prime 3 to Donkey Kong Country Returns so now they can hopefully get back to Metroid soon. Though like everyone else, I would rather this kind of shenanigan of a game not happen again in the future. Or at least if it does, actually be done better. I think people overreact on how bad the game actually was, which is pretty amazing when it's not even that good of a Metroid game to begin with. I would actually recommend it to people who really enjoy Metroid as a series and want to experience the entirety of it. And at the end of the day I think despite it turning out worse than it could have, this game was valuable to the franchise because it's an example of what not to do when trying to make a good Metroid.

Okay. I'm done talking about that.

On an unrelated note, it seems the thread only half-notified me. It told me all day when people liked my posts but never when anyone posted. Weird. I just had to read like four pages of shenanigans. But I'm back now. It's okay. No more tears.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Did people say positive things?
didnt heard much, was doing other stuff in the meantime, but i did hear some it would be great and not a single is too big, plus some people wondering if it was an assist trophy and getting corrected that dark samus was the assist, stuff like that really.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
There's always that possibility that Smash Ridley takes certain things from all the Ridley iterations. That would be interesting. A Ridley to end all Ridleys. Until the next Metroid that is.
I don't see why not. Ridley doesn't exist chronologically. Prime 1 - 3 happen before Super Metroid. Super Metroid is where Ridley canonically dies after his fight with Samus. After that, Ridley returns in Other M because, again, imperfect genetic clone (and they apparently didn't realize Little Birdie was Ridley's race's evolutionary starting point, apparently). Fusion takes place after that, and Ridley is only in that because the Federation acquires Ridley's corpse from the Bottle Ship and ships it off to the Biologics Research Station. The X infestation there eventually reaches Ridley, copies its DNA and, apparently, makes improvements to it.. which might explain why he looks more legitimately like Ridley and nothing like Roidley.

So, honestly, a genetic clone combination of Roidley and Ridley doesn't strike me as entirely odd.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Since when is Other M better than Fusion? Fusion was actually a good game. It was also a game that didn't **** over Samus' character (well, not to the extent Other M did, at least). Fusion was linear, but it at least had a good level design. It was an very unique Metroid game or better, it was a very unique game in general. It had a survival horror-ish feeling, which is very rare to achieve in 2D games. Fusion had great music too, plus SA-X was an interesting and terrifying villain. Fusion isn't on the same league as the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Metroid and Metroid Zero Mission, but it IS a very good Metroid game, unlike Other M.

Other M had... Anthony. The salvation grace of that game. Nothing else was actually good. Other M isn't underrated. It is just a really bad game in a franchise that mostly had good games until then.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't see why not. Ridley doesn't exist chronologically. Prime 1 - 3 happen before Super Metroid. Super Metroid is where Ridley canonically dies after his fight with Samus. After that, Ridley returns in Other M because, again, imperfect genetic clone (and they apparently didn't realize Little Birdie was Ridley's race's evolutionary starting point, apparently). Fusion takes place after that, and Ridley is only in that because the Federation acquires Ridley's corpse from the Bottle Ship and ships it off to the Biologics Research Station. The X infestation there eventually reaches Ridley, copies its DNA and, apparently, makes improvements to it.. which might explain why he looks more legitimately like Ridley and nothing like Roidley.

So, honestly, a genetic clone combination of Roidley and Ridley doesn't strike me as entirely odd.
Next Metroid. They take the corpse of the really drugged up awkward clone of Ridley and fuse it with an actual good clone of the original Ridley and turn it into... Uhhh. Ridley DX? Ultra Ridley? Something like that? Sure.

EDIT:

"
Since when is Other M better than Fusion? Fusion was actually a good game. It was also a game that didn't **** over Samus' character (well, not to the extent Other M did, at least). Fusion was linear, but it at least had a good level design. It was an very unique Metroid game or better, it was a very unique game in general. It had a survival horror-ish feeling, which is very rare to achieve in 2D games. Fusion had great music too, plus SA-X was an interesting and terrifying villain.

Other M had... Anthony. The salvation grace of that game. Nothing else was actually good. Other M isn't underrated. It is just a really bad game in a franchise that mostly had good games until then."

1. Since Other M came out.
2. That's a very generously false statement in my opinion.
3. What character? Fusion was the first game to provide anything that resembles a character, and again it is very generously incorrect to call it that.
4. No. It really did not.
5. Unique in a way that definitely did not work out.
6. Speaking of Fusion's 'horror' feeling, there was a horror movie about a refrigerator. I think that's immediately relevant.
7. SA-X is literally the lamest villain to come out of Metroid.
8. Anthony is literally the lamest character to come out of Metroid.

Throwing my response opinions out there and letting you know I'm not turning this into a conversation. I'm literally answering the questions you asked and then going back to talking about Ridley.

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
E3 is getting closer and closer. Soon we'll know the truth about Ridley's destiny.

majora_787

Smash Hero
E3 is getting closer and closer. Soon we'll know the truth about Ridley's destiny.
Has anyone made a Ridley hype train video yet? If not we have just over a week to make it happen. Just make the train Ridley and cover it in different Ridleys.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Next Metroid. They take the corpse of the really drugged up awkward clone of Ridley and fuse it with an actual good clone of the original Ridley and turn it into... Uhhh. Ridley DX? Ultra Ridley? Something like that? Sure.

7. SA-X is literally the lamest villain to come out of Metroid.
Well, I was thinking something like a Ridley with Roidley's body and Ridley's normal head and/or neck. You got the bulk and the brains all in one package. Everyone wins.

As for SA-X, I agree, but I also disagree. SA-X is lame as a villain because it's just an indiscriminately destructive Samus. However, how they HANDLED SA-X's encounters made for genuinely tense moments in the game. You knew you were outgunned and being hunted. You just had to hide and pray it didn't come down to a chase, 'cause if you screw up you're a dead Samus.

Also, I disagree about Anthony being the lamest character. That honor goes to all the silly, shoehorned Bounty Hunters.

That's just my opinion, though. :ness:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Has anyone made a Ridley hype train video yet? If not we have just over a week to make it happen. Just make the train Ridley and cover it in different Ridleys.
I'd recommend against it. If he happens to be officially disconfirmed at E3, the video would be swarmed with trolls and too bigots, and possibly even the user's account.

Why not just make an image instead?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, I was thinking something like a Ridley with Roidley's body and Ridley's normal head and/or neck. You got the bulk and the brains all in one package. Everyone wins.

As for SA-X, I agree, but I also disagree. SA-X is lame as a villain because it's just an indiscriminately destructive Samus. However, how they HANDLED SA-X's encounters made for genuinely tense moments in the game. You knew you were outgunned and being hunted. You just had to hide and pray it didn't come down to a chase, 'cause if you screw up you're a dead Samus.

Also, I disagree about Anthony being the lamest character. That honor goes to all the silly, shoehorned Bounty Hunters.

Obviously it's Concept Artlet in skeletal form (See: Dry Bowser) with six wings. Add orchestral music on his appearance. Just make him the most generically over the top thing we possibly can. (Please don't)

I honestly didn't care for the SA-X encounters, though I think if it had been something better than SA-X I'd end up agreeing with the quality of the tense moments. I think the problem is SA-X itself more than anything.

I dunno, Anthony feels more shoehorned to me than ANY of the bounty hunters, probably because Hunters was actually based around them being a major thing. It's Metroid Prime Hunters after all. Other M isn't Metroid: Other Anthony, now is it. :Troll: But yeah shrug. I just literally did not care about anything other than Samus, Ridley, Nightmare, and Phantoon in that entire game in terms of living things. xD

EDIT: We can't let trolls be the reason we can't have nice things. We need a hype train of SOME kind. It's important. :c

Last edited:

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker

I think it was the first time there was a constant villain through out a game that you could not fight so you had to resort to running and hiding. Usually in Metroid you are already equipped enough to blow away any enemy but with SA-X you had no chance in hell until towards the end.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
OK, then how about the video being Metroid-themed in general? That way it could contain hype for both Smash and a new Metroid game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If the old dragon is really a stage hazard, I would be unfazed and sad at the same time. Charizard will probably be the only playable dragon on the roster too. :cry:

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
I just realized that this is the only forum that I really only post on. I dont know what I will do if he gets disconfirmed. But anyway:

It would be really awesome for Nintendo to remake Fusion with the FPS of the Prime games, or a improved version of the gameplay of Other M, and have SA-X appear randomly like Nemesis in RE3

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I just realized that this is the only forum that I really only post on. I dont know what I will do if he gets disconfirmed. But anyway:

It would be really awesome for Nintendo to remake Fusion with the FPS of the Prime games, or a improved version of the gameplay of Other M, and have SA-X appear randomly like Nemesis in RE3
Not sure how well the execution would work, but I would like to see Nightmare, Yakuza and Serris reinvented in 3D.
Yeah, I know they brought it back in Other M, but they just RUINED it there.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If the old dragon is really a stage hazard, I would be unfazed and sad at the same time. Charizard will probably be the only playable dragon on the roster too. :cry:
Charizard and Bowser. Heck, from the looks of things Bowser might be the only boss reptile we'll ever get in this series.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Looks like we're going through the off-topic cycle. Again.

What are the odds of tomorrow's PotD being on Pyrosphere?
Well..

30% chance we see something we know about
40% chance we see something we don't care about
20% chance we see something actually interesting
9% chance of that earlier 30% chance it's Pyrosphere.
20% chance for a new item/feature/something.
9% some old veteran's revealed.
0.5% a new comer no one saw coming is revealed
0.25% chance there is no PoTD
0.25% chance that Ridley is revealed...probably lower.

At least, how I slice it,

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I dunno, Anthony feels more shoehorned to me than ANY of the bounty hunters, probably because Hunters was actually based around them being a major thing. It's Metroid Prime Hunters after all. Other M isn't Metroid: Other Anthony, now is it. :Troll: But yeah shrug. I just literally did not care about anything other than Samus, Ridley, Nightmare, and Phantoon in that entire game in terms of living things. xD
Well, that's the thing, Anthony isn't really shoehorned in. He shows up with the rest of the group and he shows, quite casually might I add, that he knows Samus. Samus might seem like the cold ice queen to most players, but this picture says otherwise:

Bars are typically considered places for social gatherings, so clearly, Samus is fine with going out, grabbing a few drinks and mingling. So I don't see why people are so quick to judge Anthony. They don't elaborate much on Anthony's back story, but what more do you need to know other than 'He served with her in the Federation before she became a bounty hunter.'. Eventually, you're going to make friends and genuine bonds with the people you commiserate with, y'know? Also, Anthony isn't really shoved down our throats. He shows up a grand total of, what, three times in Other M?

The bounty hunters, on the other hand, feel shoehorned in because they weren't feeling particularly creative that day but still needed bosses in Metroid Prime 3. All the designs are so boring and aesthetically similar. Most of the characters have no real personality, we're not really given a reason to care about the characters, and last I checked, Metroid Prime Anthony Higgs isn't a game, but Metroid Prime Hunters is.

At least we can understand why Samus finds grief in Anthony's assumed death 'cause they were FRIENDS. The Bounty Hunters get, like, no reaction when they die. 'cept maybe like 'Gosh, a shame I had to kill that idiot.'.

Anyway, as I've said already, that's just my opinion. I understand people like the bounty hunters, but I just can't really bring myself to like them more than Anthony. They're pretty low on the totem pole of Metroid characters I give a crap about. :dr^_^:

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Say, I'm curious. Am I the only one that senses Ridley's theme in the Metroid Prime menu theme?

Specifically at 0:42 (becomes more apparent when you speed it up)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
...Huh. You're right.

Yeah, I hear antagonist leitmotifs in other completely unrelated songs too!
For example, Porky's EarthBound theme can be heard in the battle theme "Battle against a Machine"!

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Say, I'm curious. Am I the only one that senses Ridley's theme in the Metroid Prime menu theme?

Specifically at 0:42 (becomes more apparent when you speed it up)

...Huh. You're right.

Yeah, I hear antagonist leitmotifs in other completely unrelated songs too!
For example, Porky's EarthBound theme can be heard in the battle theme "Battle against a Machine"!
Guys, guys..

I think we found something huge here. What if these songs were chosen specifically to hint at future newcomers?

:drflip:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
By the way, I've noticed that some support threads have changed their titles in anticipation of E3. Should this thread, one that's dedicated to a character who will almost certainly be shown, in some form or another, at E3, have its title changed for the coming occasion? It seems only fitting.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
By the way, I've noticed that some support threads have changed their titles in anticipation of E3. Should this thread, one that's dedicated to a character who will almost certainly be shown, in some form or another, at E3, have its title changed for the coming occasion? It seems only fitting.
The Ridley support thread: Now anticipating the BIGGEST event of the year?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, this thread is known to change names whenever the heck it feels like so...

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853

Go to 5:20. Samus is given more depth here than in all of Other M.
I've seen this cutscene. All Samus does here is look away because she's essentially watching herself die there. I'd probably look away, too. What emotion does she really show here? She doesn't even pay the girl some respects before leaving.

On the other hand..

Pop on over to 2:05. Samus shows WWWWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYY more emotion at the prospect of Anthony dying than she shows Gandrayda. The assumed death of Anthony is what gets Samus to buckle down psychologically and give Ridley what he deserves. Plus, Anthony's in that exclusive club of people just awesome enough to survive an encounter with Ridley.

She doesn't even look Gandrayda in the eye as she dies.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make a case for a playable Anthony here, but I wouldn't be adverse to it and, honestly, I feel like people give Anthony more flak than he really deserves.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Its all or nothing for ridley at e3, give us a fake metriod trailer that announces ridley and it will be the talk of the internet for months!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Snake: Colonel, I'm fighting against some kind of dragon!

Colonel: That's Geoform 187, Snake, codenamed "Ridley". Ridley was recruited by the Space Pirates in a bid for galactic conquest, but he worked his way up the chain of command to become a major leader.

Snake: Ridley, huh? That's real creative.

Colonel: Do not underestimate him, Snake. He may come off as mindless, but he is a high-ranking military strategist for a good reason.

Snake: Hmph. Intelligent or not, this beastie has no ambition beyond the field of battle.

Colonel: Indeed, Snake. Who knows who or what he is serving at the moment, if anything at all?

Snake: Huh. Looks like we might understand each other after all.

Top Bottom