• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, on that quote Sakurai said about Ridley being pretty impossible and slow...

Was that said after Melee or after Brawl? Not gonna affect Ridley's chances in my eyes, just kinda curious.
Brawl. He was interviewed by Nintendo Power after its release, and while they were talking about the characters that were added into the game, the interviewers brought up rumors about a playable Ridley.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Brawl. He was interviewed by Nintendo Power after its release, and while they were talking about the characters that were added into the game, the interviewers brought up rumors about a playable Ridley.
Ah. Okay, I can probably chalk up Ridley's boss status as Sakurai not knowing how popular he was overseas.

But since he DOES know now, he can tease Ridley as being something less than he was in the previous game while tweaking and balancing him for E3.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Calling Dark Samus the only other option is a stretch, but these are the key points. So hype. Time keeps moving slower it feels like D:
It is not. What are the other options then? Rundas, Gandrayda? The random mysterious character? A random Space Pirate?

The only two major characters that could work well as playable characters are Ridley and Dark Samus.

There is Samus X as well, but her/its moveset would be identical to Samus'.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It is not. What are the other options then? Rundas, Gandrayda? The random mysterious character? A random Space Pirate?

The only two major characters that could work well as playable characters are Ridley and Dark Samus.

Actually, since transformations were removed, I like thinking that SA-X got in and Samus lost her Power Suit.

The only other feasible options other than the ones you've listed are the Remembuh me guy, Adam, and Weavel.

Reila

Actually, since transformations were removed, I like thinking that SA-X got in and Samus lost her Power Suit.

The only other feasible options other than the ones you've listed are the Remembuh me guy, Adam, and Weavel.
I forgot Anthony. He is like, the only thing tolerable in Metroid Other M. lol. But no thanks, give me Ridley instead.

**** Adam.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
yeah but, then the hype. Especially if the roster wasn't fully leaked yet when the game came out, and people didn't know for a few days. Especially if you found it in the game by yourself first before reading it online.
I Don't Care. I'd be furious if he revealed Ridley as a stage hazard and nothing else at E3. the overwhelming amount of despair on our parts, and the obnoxiousness of the toobigots, which would be bound to be worse than they were after the direct.......if anything, he better only do what he did for ZSSamus. making supporters of Ridley go through agony and antagonism again would be the cruelest thing Sakurai has ever done.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace

Sylux and those other hunters, Anthony Higgs and the other soldiers aren't NOT options... I just don't think Dark Samus was that viable of a choice, so I just didn't think Dark Samus had that much more of a chance than the others.

And being that it bugs me almost like OCD that Samus and Zero Suit are seperate characters yet the same individual, in my mind the original Samus smash character is actual Samus X and Zero Suit is the real Samus. Now if only Shiek were Impa...

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I forgot Anthony. He is like, the only thing tolerable in Metroid Other M. lol. But no thanks, give me Ridley instead.

**** Adam.
It really makes me wonder what brain parasite climbed into Adam's skull and made him stupid, because he was so much better in Fusion. They must've uploaded his mind back when he was sane.

"Did this Adam care for you? Would he sit in a safe Command Room and order you to die?"

Last edited:

Reila

Sylux and those other hunters, Anthony Higgs and the other soldiers aren't NOT options... I just don't think Dark Samus was that viable of a choice, so I just didn't think Dark Samus had that much more of a chance than the others.

And being that it bugs me almost like OCD that Samus and Zero Suit are seperate characters yet the same individual, in my mind the original Samus smash character is actual Samus X and Zero Suit is the real Samus. Now if only Shiek was Impa...
They really aren't options. All of them are one-shot characters with little impact in the Metroid series. I stand by my opinion: Dark Samus and Ridley are the only characters in the series that would make sense as the third (second, actually) Metroid rep. Rundas or Gandrayda would be stretching a lot, but since I like these characters, I wouldn't mind them in Smash... after Ridley.

And really? In a game in which four Samus can fight each other at the same time, the fact Samus and Zero Suit Samus have separated slots is what bug you? :p Zelda from Twilight Princess transforming in Sheik didn't make any sense in Brawl, the Zelda who can transform in Shiek is the one from Ocarina of Time. Now that Zelda and Sheik are separated characters, it makes way more sense. To me Sheik in SSB4 = OoT!Zelda transformed. We have two Zeldas in the game now.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
a little quick sketch to practice...
SCAN0202.JPG

"I'm so DAMN ADORABLE!"
xD Ridley can be pretty narcissistic....

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
They really aren't options. All of them are one-shot characters with little impact in the Metroid series. I stand by my opinion: Dark Samus and Ridley are the only characters in the series that would make sense as the third (second, actually) Metroid rep. Rundas or Gandrayda would be stretching a lot, but since I like these characters, I wouldn't mind them in Smash... after Ridley.

And really? In a game in which four Samus can fight each other at the same time, the fact Samus and Zero Suit Samus have separated slots is what bug you? :p Zelda from Twilight Princess transforming in Sheik didn't make any sense in Brawl, the Zelda who can transform in Shiek is the one from Ocarina of Time. Now that Zelda and Sheik are separated characters, it makes way more sense. To me Sheik in SSB4 = OoT!Zelda transformed. We have two Zeldas in the game now.
It bugs me too. Yeah, it's stupid, but I guess my mind is accustomed to seeing ZS Samus fighting Samus in any armor EXCEPT orange. I can rationalize cloning for multiple characters, but this?

I don't know, for me, it turns Samus from this badass bounty hunter into just a suit of armor, or some remote-controlled robot when ZS Samus is on the scene. That's why I rationalized SA-X.

That IS an idea for a future Metroid title...Samus and her Power Suit taking on enemies separately, like a 2nd player...

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace

And they are different Zelda's just like Link and Toon Link are different Link's in history. I don't know why I didn't realize that. And I heard a rumor that Sylux is to be the main antagonist in a future game. And he is credited for appearing in Prime Hunters and Corruption. And I take back what I said, Dark Samus was a much stronger option.

Reila

And they are different Zelda's just like Link and Toon Link are different Link's in history. I don't know why I didn't realize that. And I heard a rumor that Sylux is to be the main antagonist in a future game. And he is credited for appearing in Prime Hunters and Corruption. And I take back what I said, Dark Samus was a much stronger option.
Exactly my thoughts.

But it still is just a rumor. Sylux might appear in the future and become a relevant character, but right now, he is just a random dude. The fact Sylux appeared in one of the most mediocre titles in the series doesn't help much. Now compare him to Ridley, the most recurring antagonist in Metroid, considered to be Samus' nemeses and to Dark Samus, the major antagonist from the Metroid Prime trilogy, who also happens to be a fan favorite. They are in totally different leagues.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Exactly my thoughts.

But it still is just a rumor. Sylux might appear in the future and become a relevant character, but right now, he is just a random dude. The fact Sylux appeared in one of the most mediocre titles in the series doesn't help much. Now compare him to Ridley, the most recurring antagonist in Metroid, considered to be Samus' nemeses and to Dark Samus, the major antagonist from the Metroid Prime trilogy, who also happens to be a fan favorite. They are in totally different leagues.
Right. Higgs I think would actually be next in line ahead of Sylux and them. But for now he's a one-off. The roster could use the diversity. Unless you count Mr G&W and Ganondorf, all the "human" characters are white. Haha

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Right. Higgs I think would actually be next in line ahead of Sylux and them. But for now he's a one-off. The roster could use the diversity. Unless you count Mr G&W and Ganondorf, all the "human" characters are white. Haha
Would Ganondorf be considered black? Or since he came from a desert, some sort of Hylian Middle Eastern?

Reila

True, but if you consider Ganondorf's race (Gerudo) is apparently based on Arab people, he isn't really black per se. Anthony was a fun character and he would certainly be an interesting addition to the roster for a number of reasons, but the Metroid series having four reps is a scenario I can't picture happening. xD

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
True, but if you consider Ganondorf's race (Gerudo) is apparently based on Arab people, he isn't really black per se. Anthony was a fun character and he would certainly be an interesting addition to the roster for a number of reasons, but the Metroid series having four reps is a scenario I can't picture happening. xD
So the only somewhat Arabian humanoid in the roster is also pure evil?

(I am so, so sorry)

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'll be honest, I wouldn't be entirely adverse to the idea of Anthony in Smash. I honestly doubt it'd ever happen, but hey. If it did, I'd be cool with it. Way cooler with it than if they defaulted to another Bounty Hunter.

(I am so, so sorry)
Well, that's not entirely fair. The Gerudo aren't naturally evil as a race. Ganondorf is just born into it.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I'll be honest, I wouldn't be entirely adverse to the idea of Anthony in Smash. I honestly doubt it'd ever happen, but hey. If it did, I'd be cool with it. Way cooler with it than if they defaulted to another Bounty Hunter.

Well, that's not entirely fair. The Gerudo aren't naturally evil as a race. Ganondorf is just born into it.
So Game & Watch confirmed... To be token black character xD

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

(I am so, so sorry)
Well, the rest of Gerudo society involves strong-willed warrior women that are actually fairly friendly once you get to know them.

That's more than you can say for a lot of Middle Eastern-based cultures in fiction.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Well, the rest of Gerudo society involves strong-willed warrior women that are actually fairly friendly once you get to know them.

That's more than you can say for a lot of Middle Eastern-based cultures in fiction.
It's really kind of a mix of Middle Eastern inspiration and Amazonian culture.

'til you realize that they essentially worship the lone male born every hundred years or so.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Do we really need racial diversity in an All-Stars fighting series that's developed in Japan? I'm not asking this because I don't want it, I just want to know why that seems to be a concern in some fringe parts of the fanbase, particularly with the Anthony Higgs supporters.

Last edited:

Reila

Do we really need racial diversity in an All-Stars fighting series that's developed in Japan? I'm not asking this because I don't want it, I just want to know why that seems to be a concern in some fringe parts of the fanbase, particularly with the Anthony Higgs supporters.
We do, the place where the game is developed doesn't matter much, since it will eventually be released world wide. Plus, the most respectable fighting franchises have a certain level of racial diversity (see: Street Fighter, The King of Fighters, Tekken, etc). The thing is, there aren't many dark-skinned characters with actual importance in Nintendo games. So it is kinda hard to apply racial diversity in Super Smash Bros, without messing too much with the roster of the game. I mean, Anthony Higgs would be a huge stretch already. Who else could be added to Smash? Shantae, maybe? She isn't a Nintendo character, but she would fit perfectly.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Do we really need racial diversity in an All-Stars fighting game that's developed in Japan. I'm not asking this because I don't want it, I just want to know why that seems to be a concern in some fringe parts of the fanbase, particularly with the Anthony Higgs supporters.
We don't need to try to make a case for characters increasing their chances based on the diversity they would bring, but I think it would be nice if Nintendo made characters that are truly All Stars that happen to bring racial diversity. Anthony Higgs, Basilio, and Mike Tyson Sandman are the most prominent that I can think of. But yeah, diversity shouldn't be used to promote characters, but Nintendo could/should just promote diversity more in general in it's characters. Idk. Race is such an odd topic.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Do we really need racial diversity in an All-Stars fighting game that's developed in Japan. I'm not asking this because I don't want it, I just want to know why that seems to be a concern in some fringe parts of the fanbase, particularly with the Anthony Higgs supporters.
I don't know why anyone would concern themselves with racial diversity in a game made in Japan, by Japanese people for Japanese fans. I hate to be that guy, especially since they've gotten a lot better about it in recent times, but they're still fairly xenophobic when it comes to media of any kind. Things like racial diversity is only really a hot topic for people over here 'cause people are pretentious and supporting racial diversity in everything they come across is a great way for those people to justify their own pretentiousness. Anyone knowing anything about Japan shouldn't bat an eye that there's a distinct lack of characters of different ethnicity coming out of Nintendo.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't really care about diversity. If a character was put in just because of his race or something stupid to appease Tumblr, that'd be more wrong than just an all-white cast, because you're focusing on his race or sexual orientation rather than their character or playstyle potential.

The whole ME thing I brought up for Ganondorf was just a really bad joke.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Random Space Pirate: The topic, she's gone overboard sir!

Ridley: Who cares? This is my thread, and given my love for chaos I find it quite fitting.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alrighty, back on topic.

Are we supporting Ridley because of his character, or just because of his race?:awesome:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Ridley would be the only "true villain" on the roster, given his personality and past actions.

Excluding Ganondorf, the rest of the "villains" are just light-hearted "bad guys" in comparison, none that can be taken seriously XD

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ridley would be the only "true villain" on the roster, given his personality and past actions.

Excluding Ganondorf, the rest of the "villains" are just light-hearted "bad guys" in comparison, none that can be taken seriously XD
Besides Mewtwo and Wolf. Although, they're more rivals/anti-heroes than anything.

Although we also have Porky as a plausible newcomer... and he isn't exactly the kindest villain there is.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

K. Rool is a pretty dark villain if you think deeply about his actions. He intends to commit genocide on the Kongs and transform their island into a polluted, wretched hellhole like his own island, and when that fails he goes all out and tries to completely destroy it in DK64. He also tortured DK with cannon balls in DKC2.

If K. Rool is playable in this game, then that means he, along with (possibly) Ridley and Ganondorf, will be the only characters who could truly be called "villains".

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Besides Mewtwo and Wolf. Although, they're more rivals/anti-heroes than anything.

Although we also have Porky as a plausible newcomer... and he isn't exactly the kindest villain there is.
I'm the biggest supporter of the Pig King on this thread...but I have doubts on his inclusion, awesome as he would be.

I've adopted a philosophy of "If anything hints at the character, he's basically confirmed". If no hints are given, their chances are dubious at best. It's not perfect, but its worked so far. Ness is all but confirmed due to the Mr. Saturn and Franklin Badge, but asides from a throwaway line about the Ultimate Chimera and some Brawl footage of New Pork City, it at best hints at Lucas's return.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool is a pretty dark villain if you think deeply about his actions. He intends to commit genocide on the Kongs and transform their island into a polluted, wretched hellhole like his own island, and when that fails he goes all out and tries to completely destroy it in DK64. He also tortured DK with cannon balls in DKC2.

If K. Rool is playable in this game, then that means he, along with (possibly) Ridley and Ganondorf, will be the only characters who could truly be called "villains".
Oh, wow, I completely forgot about that.
I always felt that Mother Brain was not outside of the realm of possibilities, and Mother Brain is pretty darn evil as well.

I'm the biggest supporter of the Pig King on this thread...but I have doubts on his inclusion, awesome as he would be.

I've adopted a philosophy of "If anything hints at the character, he's basically confirmed". If no hints are given, their chances are dubious at best. It's not perfect, but its worked so far. Ness is all but confirmed, but asides from a throwaway line about the Ultimate Chimera and some Brawl footage of New Pork City, it at best hints at Lucas.
This is a pretty good philosophy, although I'd hate to support it.

Top Bottom