• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nope. I want Ridley in SSB4, but I don't think it will happen. Hate incoming ahaha.
Hate will only happen if you cause trouble.

You haven't so far.

So no hate.

If you're looking for it, then please don't.

D

Deleted member

Nope. I want Ridley in SSB4, but I don't think it will happen. Hate incoming ahaha.
We Ridley fans still choose to believe, so do you have anything else to say that might be meaningful and not considered made with the intention of drawing the ire of a fanbase? If not you can just go to another thread. *Points to the door*

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
I didn't come here to create havoc. I was putting my opinion out, and that opinion has turned into a bunch of people hating on me. I'm out. Sorry Ridley fans and hope you're happy..

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I didn't come here to create havoc. I was putting my opinion out, and that opinion has turned into a bunch of people hating on me. I'm out.
That's hardly hate man.

Thinking you're wrong and questioning your motives =/= hate.

If you think that's hate then... I'm not sure what to say.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
You came in here attempting to prove that Ridley will not happen, and all you managed to do was show us that Ridley's shadow was in fact in the direct. Well thanks, we saw it.

We presented evidence that Ridley can in fact very well still be playable. His size as a boss, his easily observable movement speed in the air, the stage having a LAVA hazard as opposed to the extremely passive stages bosses seem to be appearing on otherwise, and in general the fact that Ridley would be the *ONLY* character that Sakurai has not made playable but still decided to present ambiguously with the open possibility of playability regardless.

EDIT: I still don't understand why people bring these shenanigans to the Ridley support thread.

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I want Ridley in Smash as much as the next guy, but the overall vibe from this thread just blows. I made my first post here, I argued with TooBigots, I remained faithful after Sakurai let us know that an enemy from Samus' past could appear at any moment, and I still believe Ridley has a solid shot at being playable in the game after seeing his shadow in the direct. But I have come to dislike the very thread that caused me to join in the first place. For this next part when I say "you" I mean it collectively, as in everyone that frequently posts here. This thread is primarily comprised of you jerking off to some weird Ridley/Rosalina hybrid **** that's omgkawaiidesudesu and telling eachother how awesome you are at drawing, and when that isn't happening then you sit there in denial of the situation Ridley is in. "SAKURAI DIDN'T CONFIRM ANYTHING SO HE'S OBVIOUSLY CONFIRMED". Ridley's chances are... well in the air. You can't say for certain that he isn't going to be playable, but in no way can you state that he is. Then of course woe betide the person that will actually say that Ridley's chances kinda suck now. That person is obviously an idiot for not believing Ridley is playable right? Amirite? It would almost be worth it to see Ridley be confirmed as anything but playable to knock you smug ******** off your high horses, but alas, I love Ridley to much.

TL;DR: This thread sucks but Ridley doesn't.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm not going to comment on the drawing and weird shipping shenanigans, but you expected people to do... what in the Ridley support thread? Sit around the campfire, throw out evidence and talk about how glad we are that Ridley isn't and never will be playable and how thankful we are for it? To the point where you have interest in Ridley not being playable JUST so the Ridley *support* thread stops supporting Ridley?

That's... wow. Okay. You can go ahead with that but that's kind of malicious and concerning.

Last edited:

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
I'm not going to comment on the drawing and weird shipping shenanigans, but you expected people to do... what in the Ridley support thread? Sit around the campfire, throw out evidence and talk about how glad we are that Ridley isn't and never will be playable and how thankful we are for it? To the point where you have interest in Ridley not being playable JUST so the Ridley *support* thread stops supporting Ridley?

That's... wow. Okay. You can go ahead with that but that's kind of malicious and concerning.
Yea, I do want Ridley in. I just thought he had a low chance. I'm just gonna leave here because I clearly don't belong in this thread.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I want Ridley in Smash as much as the next guy, but the overall vibe from this thread just blows. I made my first post here, I argued with TooBigots, I remained faithful after Sakurai let us know that an enemy from Samus' past could appear at any moment, and I still believe Ridley has a solid shot at being playable in the game after seeing his shadow in the direct. But I have come to dislike the very thread that caused me to join in the first place. For this next part when I say "you" I mean it collectively, as in everyone that frequently posts here. This thread is primarily comprised of you jerking off to some weird Ridley/Rosalina hybrid **** that's omgkawaiidesudesu and telling eachother how awesome you are at drawing, and when that isn't happening then you sit there in denial of the situation Ridley is in. "SAKURAI DIDN'T CONFIRM ANYTHING SO HE'S OBVIOUSLY CONFIRMED". Ridley's chances are... well in the air. You can't say for certain that he isn't going to be playable, but in no way can you state that he is. Then of course woe betide the person that will actually say that Ridley's chances kinda suck now. That person is obviously an idiot for not believing Ridley is playable right? Amirite? It would almost be worth it to see Ridley be confirmed as anything but playable to knock you smug *******s off your high horses, but alas, I love Ridley to much.

I'm forced to admit that's how I feel sometimes when people just mock me for stating an opinion. :sick:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm not going to sit here and be 'that guy' because Ridley can go either way. But there is no other place on this forum where people are reasonably able to be optimistic about Ridley's chances if not the Ridley support thread. Is 100% certainty of anything excessive in either direction? Yeah. But seriously if you're bothered by optimism to a character's playability in their support thread, in my opinion you should keep it to yourself.

I mean I disagree with literally every person who thinks Ghirahim has a snowball's chance in hell at being playable in this particular game. Do you know where I tell people that? Not in the Ghirahim support thread. Just an example I'm throwing out there. Point is, as 'delusional' of me as it is to say that, I don't feel like the support thread is here to do the following things.

1) X is / can be / should be playable and here's why. (Not: X isn't, can't be, and shouldn't be playable and here's why.)

2) How X could work or function in the game in various ways. (Not: Why X can never work.)

3) What would be different after a deconfirmation about next time. Discussion of their new role in the game. (Not: being glad that X isn't playable.)

I'm not going to get on peoples' case, I just think it's a support thread courtesy thing.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want Ridley in Smash as much as the next guy, but the overall vibe from this thread just blows. I made my first post here, I argued with TooBigots, I remained faithful after Sakurai let us know that an enemy from Samus' past could appear at any moment, and I still believe Ridley has a solid shot at being playable in the game after seeing his shadow in the direct. But I have come to dislike the very thread that caused me to join in the first place. For this next part when I say "you" I mean it collectively, as in everyone that frequently posts here. This thread is primarily comprised of you jerking off to some weird Ridley/Rosalina hybrid **** that's omgkawaiidesudesu and telling eachother how awesome you are at drawing, and when that isn't happening then you sit there in denial of the situation Ridley is in. "SAKURAI DIDN'T CONFIRM ANYTHING SO HE'S OBVIOUSLY CONFIRMED". Ridley's chances are... well in the air. You can't say for certain that he isn't going to be playable, but in no way can you state that he is. Then of course woe betide the person that will actually say that Ridley's chances kinda suck now. That person is obviously an idiot for not believing Ridley is playable right? Amirite? It would almost be worth it to see Ridley be confirmed as anything but playable to knock you smug *******s off your high horses, but alas, I love Ridley to much.

There's some truth in this.

I REALLY don't appreciate the tone or language, but ultimately I agree.

Ridley isn't super likely. And we shouldn't be hostile to those who don't think otherwise. I know tons of toobigots and assholes come in here a lot and I know the fanbase has been ridiculed since Pre-Brawl.

But treat everyone like you do me and the other staff.

With respect. It will get you farther in the long run.

Likewise, the thread does go off topic quite a bit. This is a Ridley support thread. Not a Ridley social thread.

Keep drawing and all that, but do try to stay on topic.

@ SmashCast SmashCast

I do hope we didn't scare you off. We weren't trying to hate on you. At least I wasn't. That hashtag and yolo are just red flags to me for various reasons.

At the same time.I just hope you realize the situation Ridley fans are in.

Point blank. It sucks to be a Ridley fan and has for quite some time. We've been mocked and ridiculed since Melee. It's made us passionate and loyal but stubborn. Real stubborn.

You have every right to an opinion, but at the same time, you got to be smart about it, okay?

Can we all hug now?

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace

I support Ridley and I used to in the Ridley thread. After the direct, it was nothing but "omg deconfirmed/omg confirmed", and I assumed it would pass. In a way it did, it's just that the people saying "omg deconfirmed" moved on to something else and the "omg confirmed" faction has become emboldened by desperation. You would think a sense of humility would have been instilled in the fanbase after we nearly got our ass handed to us by a shadow. I realize it's ok to be optimistic, but let's not be fanatical about it. Maybe when someone comes in that says "I don't think Ridley will be playable" you can respond with "there is a decent chance you are correct, I can see the reasoning for you thinking that".

Oh. And I am indeed malicious =3

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
There's some truth in this.

I REALLY don't appreciate the tone or language, but ultimately I agree.

Ridley isn't super likely. And we shouldn't be hostile to those who don't think otherwise. I know tons of toobigots and *******s come in here a lot and I know the fanbase has been ridiculed since Pre-Brawl.

But treat everyone like you do me and the other staff.

With respect. It will get you farther in the long run.

Likewise, the thread does go on topic quite a bit. This is a Ridley support thread. Not a Ridley social thread.

Keep drawing and all that, but do try to stay on topic.

@ SmashCast SmashCast

I do hope we didn't scare you off. We weren't trying to hate on you. At least I wasn't. That hashtag and yolo are just red flags to me for various reasons.

At the same time.I just hope you realize the situation Ridley fans are in.

Point blank. It sucks to be a Ridley fan and has for quite some time. We've been mocked and ridiculed since Melee. It's made us passionate and loyal but stubborn. Real stubborn.

You have every right to an opinion, but at the same time, you got to be smart about it, okay?
mhm. I gotcha.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I support Ridley and I used to in the Ridley thread. After the direct, it was nothing but "omg deconfirmed/omg confirmed", and I assumed it would pass. In a way it did, it's just that the people saying "omg deconfirmed" moved on to something else and the "omg confirmed" faction has become emboldened by desperation. You would think a sense of humility would have been instilled in the fanbase after we nearly got our *** handed to us by a shadow. I realize it's ok to be optimistic, but let's not be fanatical about it. Maybe when someone comes in that says "I don't think Ridley will be playable" you can respond with "there is a decent chance you are correct, I can see the reasoning for you thinking that".

Oh. And I am indeed malicious =3
Normally I would but honestly in the Ridley thread I feel fully willing to fuel optimism toward Ridley's chances because I feel there is no better place to do it than here. Though I disagree with anyone who calls it a 100% chance matter-of-factly, even if I believe it's just about a 99% chance for. That's my personal opinion talking and not the kind of optimism I'm throwing out.

I think asking the collective Ridley for Smash fanbase to be calm about this situation though, regardless of whether they need to or not, is just not going to pan out. It's do or die for Ridley. His chances have been more (tangibly) high than they've ever been despite the very real possibility of being a boss hazard once more. And nobody wants to go back to being literally *the* whipped horse here. It's entirely understandable, since the only character base more aggressively fanatical than the pro-Ridley fanbase is the anti-Ridley fanbase.

All I know is, I'm putting my hopes for Ridley in E3 because of the demo, and if it doesn't pan out I don't plan on coming back here 'next time'. /full-on bummer mode

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I just want this thread to have some semblance of dignity in case of the worst case scenario. The anti-Ridley people WILL be here to rub our face in it and it would be preferable if we as a whole could say "yeah, we knew there was a good chance this was going to happen, better luck next time" instead of looking like a bunch of butthurt Ridley fanatics that were too blind to see it coming.

D

Deleted member

D

Deleted member

It depends; is he on all fours, or is he standing on two legs in his idle?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Let's not linger on this, okay?

So next topic at hand!

Let's talk about some possible tilt attacks for Ridley.

We never get into those.
We never get into those because we know he won't be playable. :yeahboi:

I guess he would use his fangs most of the time, and his smashs would be him bitting or using his tail. All depends if he is a character that constantly flies or not.

Morbi

Scavenger

That moment when you realize that you are truly delusional! I also jerk off to Rosalina X Ridley and compliment some users on their artistic abilities, I also arbitrarily believe that Ridley is all but confirmed. I suppose I am part of the problem; but I also find it difficult to really care, that is one of the reasons I love the Ridley thread to be perfectly honest.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I can see Ridley as a biped in his idle stance, only converting to quadruped when sprinting like he did in Other M.

As for tilt attacks, I think he should use his gorilla-like arms to swipe at the other players.

Last edited:

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
Let's not linger on this, okay?

So next topic at hand!

Let's talk about some possible tilt attacks for Ridley.

We never get into those.
Sounds dandy, let's do this.

F-tilt: Ridley sweeps his tail forward at a mid pace, dealing 12% damage in the sourspot and 15% in the sweetspot. This can be tilted to give the user the option of attacking higher or lower during combos.
U-tilt: Ridley juts his wings upwards, much like charizard's up-tilt, dealing 10% damage and a great knockback.
Dtilt: Ridley swings his wings downwards, enclosing himself. This deals 8% damage and pulls in nearby opponents.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Yo does anyone have a picture of ridley's shadow in brawl (as a boss) so we can compare with this shadow? That way we can see how much downsized he is :D

In full black lines that is.

Top Bottom