• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I've never cared much for the Toobigot term, it too much of a shorthand term used to demonize people that don't agree with a particular opinion. I think those type of labels do more harm then they help and it would be better off not using them at all.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
We're discussing reveal trailers over at the K. Rool thread and thought I'd share my post from there.

I can just see it now.

Donkey Kong, Samus, and Pikachu are cautiously walking alongside the bottom of a cliff, when suddenly a cannonball, plasma blast, and shadow ball all head towards them. They just barely dodge their respective projectiles and look up to the clifftop. We see K. Rool nonchalantly tapping the blunderbuss on his shoulder, Ridley grinning menacingly with his wings wide open, and Mewtwo hovering above ground with a nasty glare in his eyes.

Boom. Most bad*** reveal. Ever.

D

Deleted member

guys .... arguing with toobigots is very tired .....
look at this
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACaU2yRX196-w
@Shinru202 & I are fighting against some idiots ....
I learned here https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlUt90jdw that they ignore anything you tell them, every time I came with an argument they couldn't counter, they simply said "too big"/"Sakurai said he's a boss"
I learned that ignoring them is the best solution until E3

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice
We're discussing reveal trailers over at the K. Rool thread and thought I'd share my post from there.

I can just see it now.

Donkey Kong, Samus, and Pikachu are cautiously walking alongside the bottom of a cliff, when suddenly a cannonball, plasma blast, and shadow ball all head towards them. They just barely dodge their respective projectiles and look up to the clifftop. We see K. Rool nonchalantly tapping the blunderbuss on his shoulder, Ridley grinning menacingly with his wings wide open, and Mewtwo hovering above ground with a nasty glare in his eyes.

And why would those three be working together? Interesting but I could never see Ridley working well with those two.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Sorry but nope. Rainbow Road has already been shown as a 3DS stage. False.

Not to mention lack of Mii, who lots of people deem likely.
Mii may be likely, but it's not confirmed. Likely things get disconfirmed too.

Secondly, yeah, there may be a Rainbow Road for 3DS, but Mario Kart 8 also has a Rainbow Road, so both could be feasibly stages.

Lastly, the leak is likely fake, but I was reacting in a hypothetical situation if it was real. In my eyes, all leaks are probably fake until confirmed. I at least hope the Gematsu Leak is a crock of garbage, for selfish reasons.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I disagree. 50 seems pretty reasonable considering the reputation of the past games.

SSB64: Added 12
SSBM: Added 13 more
SSBB: added 18 more

Sal leak + Rosalina = only 13 more?
I have to agree with you here. I don't find an even 50 to be unreasonable, not especially if a lot of their veteran data is ported over from Brawl. Might explain why we'd be seeing most of the Brawl vets.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
And why would those three be working together? Interesting but I could never see Ridley working well with those two.
It's not meant to be taken literally my horrifying face-switched friend. Just an idea.

Besides, you if you saw who else I've had Ridley with, K. Rool and Mewtwo would suddenly look a lot more likely.
:smirk:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I disagree. 50 seems pretty reasonable considering the reputation of the past games.

SSB64: Added 12
SSBM: Added 13 more
SSBB: added 18 more

Sal leak + Rosalina = only 13 more?
Sakurai has said he isn't focusing on new characters as much as the last games, and cares more about balancing.
39 characters. Let's have :ivysaur::squirtle::snake: cut. 36. Plus Sal. 36 + 12 = 48 + Rosalina = 49 = Ridley, Takamaru, or K.Rool = 50. 14 newcomers. More then SSBM, less then Brawl. I think 50 is fine, above that is high expectations.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Mii may be likely, but it's not confirmed. Likely things get disconfirmed too.

Secondly, yeah, there may be a Rainbow Road for 3DS, but Mario Kart 8 also has a Rainbow Road, so both could be feasibly stages.

Lastly, the leak is likely fake, but I was reacting in a hypothetical situation if it was real. In my eyes, all leaks are probably fake until confirmed. I at least hope the Gematsu Leak is a crock of garbage, for selfish reasons.
thing is, mostly the games are behind a generation. MK7 is last gen, so is Mario Galaxy, and Skyward Sword.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have to agree with you here. I don't find an even 50 to be unreasonable, not especially if a lot of their veteran data is ported over from Brawl. Might explain why we'd be seeing most of the Brawl vets.
IMO, 50 is like the "safe" area. I think the roster is going to be 47 characters minimum, 54 maximum. 50 wouldn't really be bad. And it's more room for Ridley to fit into Smash. ;D (I'm sorry)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well, on the bright side, we're no longer talking about shadows.

Though, I do wonder if it's possible for Other M Ridley to cast the same shadow as Sm4sh Ridley. Not doubting Ridley's chances, but I am curious if Sakurai simply ported his appearance, or made a brand-new model.

3D modelers, can your models cast shadows? If so, can you put Ridley in a flying pose and cast his shadow on Pyrosphere to see if his shadow matches up? If not, can I have a T-model of Other M Ridley with wings so that I can try skewing/fitting it in Photoshop?

D

Deleted member

In regard of the final roster(and how Ridley can make it in)
1.We don't know if Snake, Squirtle and Snake are the only cuts
2.We don't know if Gematsu leak is true, text leaks are hard to believe, especially with so much vagueness

Btw, on being angry with Sakurai waiting E3 to deconfirm Ridley, it's reasonable:
1.He could have been deconfirmed earlier, mentioning him by name isn't that difficult
2.The shadow analisy concludes he's at playable size, this would be a kick in the balls
3.Hyping for something that isn't what the fans want is unprofessional
Sakurai knows that people want him, and seeing he has playable size and the chance of have been deconfirmed earlier makes me be confident about it, if the Gematsu leak is true, he will come with Ridley a day or two before E3(and this site will crash, just like every single time)

majora_787

Smash Hero
I would be upset with Sakurai for teasing a popular character and opening possibility for him to be playable, letting it sit, and then deconfirming him. I wouldn't HATE him and boycott all of his games forever, but wow I'd lose a lot of optimism in regards to his decisions to be totally honest.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm on the case...
Here's the best wing-shadow shot I can find. I'll trace it later.
wingspan.png

But as it stands, it looks nothing like Other M Ridley's wings. Roidley's wings are more like Chaos's wings rather than the Meta Ridley-like wings of the shadow.

The wings of Roidley are like these here wings.

The wings of the shadows more resemble these.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
thing is, mostly the games are behind a generation. MK7 is last gen, so is Mario Galaxy, and Skyward Sword.
I'll concede to that point, but...

Sonic Lost Worlds got a stage, so through reasonable stretch of mind, MK8 could.

Not wanting the roster to be a frothy basin of stale horse piss isn't really a selfish reason.
I love the wording. I suppose it isn't, after all.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Here's the best wing-shadow shot I can find. I'll trace it later.
View attachment 15033
But as it stands, it looks nothing like Other M Ridley's wings. Roidley's wings are more like Chaos's wings rather than the Meta Ridley-like wings of the shadow.

The wings of Roidley are like these here wings.

The wings of the shadows more resemble these.
Here is a good view of his wings.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Sorry if I'm asking too much, but can you post Bowser's size by comparing him to Pikachu?
groupshot devil copy.png

I shall complete the circle yet again!

(BTW, this is Other M Ridley's max size, assuming he is a perfect port of his Other M design)

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I pointed out his wings awhile back, and no one paid it much mind(though to be fair, all I really said was that they look too big to be Roidley and they weren't tattered.)

Glad we're discussing it now though!

View attachment 15034

(BTW, this is Other M RIdley's max size, assuming he is a perfect port of his Other M design)
Max size Ridley is TINY! I've seen bigger chunks of corn in meh crap!

But seriously, that size is easily playable if the tail curled into foreground or background.

(I don't eat corn, so I wouldn't know.)

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
View attachment 15034

(BTW, this is Other M RIdley's max size, assuming he is a perfect port of his Other M design)
That's quite a bit bigger than Bowser.
Going by this:
AWNOISTHISENDOFRIDLEY.jpg

He can't be bigger then Bowser cause he'd go though the lower platforms when standing. He would have to be doing a slouching pose when standing.
EDIT:
I don't think that pic with Mario, Bowser, etc, is accurate as Pikachu isn't as tall as Mario. Well have to dig deeper.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That's quite a bit bigger than Bowser.
Going by this:
View attachment 15035
He can't be bigger then Bowser cause he'd go though the lower platforms when standing. He would have to be doing a slouching pose when standing.
As I've said, I made him as massively huge as possible. I put myself into the mindset of Bossley, and tried to make him Boss-sized within reason.

And my efforts turned up that shrimp.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So one must bring this up again. Ridley clearly has a completely new design not like that of Roidley, so why would Sakurai go through the trouble of making a new look for a stage hazard that also happens to be on a specific stage where the OM look would fit?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I pointed out his wings awhile back, and no one paid it much mind(though to be fair, all I really said was that they look too big to be Roidley and they weren't tattered.)

Glad we're discussing it now though!

Max size Ridley is TINY! I've seen bigger chunks of corn in meh crap!

But seriously, that size is easily playable if the tail curled into foreground or background.

(I don't eat corn, so I wouldn't know.)
Diddy's tail is similar to Ridley's. Yeah his tail pretty much just wraps around him for the most part.

Even when Diddy's tail extended at any point it was never a hitbox.

http://smashbros-miiverse.com/characters/diddy_kong

MagnesD3

Smash Master

I can just see it now.

The internet will crash, If the press conference was live then there would be an uproar from the crowd.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So one must bring this up again. Ridley clearly has a completely new design not like that of Roidley, so why would Sakurai go through the trouble of making a new look for a stage hazard that also happens to be on a specific stage where the OM look would fit?
The devil's advocate would say that Sakurai found the original model hideous enough to redo it as either a hybrid or like the original concept art, because no one would want a steroid duck to touch their game as even a cameo. If Roidley was hideous, what's stopping me from simply never playing Pyrosphere so that I would never get to see Ridley's mug?

Personally, looking at it objectively, that means Sakurai poured tons of effort and time into a stage hazard.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Diddy's tail is a pretty good representation of how Ridley's would work. Doesn't add extra hitbox, but can still be used to attack

It's not like they have to re-invent the wheel for every aspect of Ridley's playability. Just his size.

Top Bottom