• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SteroidSuitSamus

Smash Rookie
Well, the one good thing Other M gave us is a smaller Ridley XD

I think that Metroid is a big enough series to have more than two reps, one if you don't count Zamus. But seeing as both Samus with and without her suit are just as iconic, and they're separate characters now, I'd say two.

Anyway, Metroid is Nintendo's fifth most well known franchise, after Mario, Pokemon, LoZ and Kirby in roughly that order. Star Fox, which is slightly less known and hasn't had a game in years, had 3 reps in Brawl... I'm betting on another Metroid character.

As long as his neutral special isn't breathing fire or shooting fire balls, all will be good.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well, the one good thing Other M gave us is a smaller Ridley XD

I think that Metroid is a big enough series to have more than two reps, one if you don't count Zamus. But seeing as both Samus with and without her suit are just as iconic, and they're separate characters now, I'd say two.

Anyway, Metroid is Nintendo's fifth most well known franchise, after Mario, Pokemon, LoZ and Kirby in roughly that order. Star Fox, which is slightly less known and hasn't had a game in years, had 3 reps in Brawl... I'm betting on another Metroid character.

As long as his neutral special isn't breathing fire or shooting fire balls, all will be good.
Before the Direct, I figured that the Metroid series would only have two reps (Samus and Ridley) in the franchise, considering its overall minimalist cast. Now that Zero Suit Samus was revealed as a completely separate character, it makes more sense that it would have the same amount of reps as Kirby, Fire Emblem (if/when a newcomer is revealed), and Star Fox.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
EDIT: Right, right. Ridley. I just had to deal with some guy who was just going off about "What can Ridley even do in his moveset? scratch people lol".

I wish there was a 'throat punch through the internet' button. When I went on about how ANYONE can be simplified that much, they went on some rant I literally could not care less about on WHERE everyone's movesets came from, totally avoiding the actual point.
It is for reasons like thes that I think of Smashboards as the smash speculating nobility, as opposed to the Game FAQs peasants, and the Miiverse dirty peasants.:troll:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It is for reasons like thes that I think of Smashboards as the smash speculating nobility, as opposed to the Game FAQs peasants, and the Miiverse dirty peasants.:troll:
So I guess that means NeoGAF is a rivaling noble house to Smashboards.

This is beginning to feel like Game of Thrones.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
As per usual, a fine video discussing about how the possibilities of Ridley being in Super Smash Bros as a playable character aren't quite as dire as most people interpret it, has to be lamentably overwhelmed by comments of uninformed commoners that are headstrong when they affirm that he has a null chance of appearing regardless of the actual facts in terms of the given context.

:seuss:

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Certainly. But people seem to be discussing the leak itself rather than the implications of Ridley being on it.

On another note, I'd hate to argue semantics, but much like the infamous shadow/boss segment, the leak doesn't actually mention Ridley by name.
The leaker actually did mention Ridley by name, in the fourth picture (assuming the pac man pic wasn't his)

In short, Sakurai used Sand Attack and lowered our accuracy to tell if Ridley is playable or not.
Couldn't a said it better myself

I guess I see what you mean, Sakurai does try to be unpredictable.
Yes, he is a slippery person. I love him so much.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
As per usual, a fine video discussing about how the possibilities of Ridley being in Super Smash Bros as a playable character aren't quite as dire as most people interpret it, has to be lamentably overwhelmed by comments of uninformed commoners that are headstrong when they affirm that he has a null chance of appearing regardless of the actual facts in terms of the given context.

:seuss:

"Indubitably, old chap."

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
012.gif

"sigh..."

As much as it hurts me to say this, it is true...thanks to Other M we got a small -something that kind of looks like- Ridley, and I got something that I can have fun with, without having to show too much violence (Silly Roidley...), even if at first it was hard to accept...

Gusto

Smash Cadet
Nope, nope, and nope. That is all. He would look like a baby Dragon if downsized... and for the king of Space Pirates he would look pitiful. Plus he is a long character. Bowser is a round character, so downsizing him is fine, but something like Ridley is a nope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P91Qacg0afQ

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Nope, nope, and nope. That is all. He would look like a baby Dragon if downsized... and for the king of Space Pirates he would look pitiful. Plus he is a long character. Bowser is a round character, so downsizing him is fine, but something like Ridley is a nope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P91Qacg0afQ
Run while you still can. Do not stop at your home or an inn, run as far and as fast as you can and sleep where you collapse.
You'll know in the morning if you've escaped.

D

Deleted member

You're being too nice to Miiverse, they are more like "filthy dirty casuals"

majora_787

Smash Hero
Mewtwo and Charizard are "long". Oops, guess they were never playable! Ever! Especially not right now!

And really anyone could say this about any villain at all. Bowser would just look like a bigger-than-average turtle if he were resized! For the king of all koopas he would look pitiful! Ganondorf would literally just look like a green ginger man with no other outstanding traits! For the king of evil he would look pitiful!

Oops, guess they have never been playable and will never be. Especially not right now!

SteroidSuitSamus

Smash Rookie
What bugs me is that the Ridley 'boss' just seemed to be following Pikachu than attacking it. That's a bit odd. I mean the Yellow Devil barely done anything in its own game series, yet Ridley's always been really dynamic.

On that, I like to think that was a reference to SE, because of Samus and Piachu's alliance and slaying of Riddles :3

What if this boss Sakurai's been teasing is the Queen Metroid? It makes sense to have the Queen METROID be the METROID boss in a METROID stage. She;s faced off against it a few times, and it does show up near there in Other M.

Also, can I get a link to these leaks? I missed out XD

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
View attachment 14776
"sigh..."

As much as it hurts me to say this, it is true...thanks to Other M we got a small -something that kind of looks like- Ridley, and I got something that I can have fun with, without having to show too much violence (Silly Roidley...), even if at first it was hard to accept...
As I've said, Sakurai has had like 2 years to look over Other M Ridley, I'm positive that he'll redesign it to at the very least look presentable.

I mean, the rest of the characters look amazing, and what would be the point of picking Ridley if he was an ugly b*stard?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Be nice, everyone.

How does this look to you?

majora_787

Smash Hero
What bugs me is that the Ridley 'boss' just seemed to be following Pikachu than attacking it. That's a bit odd. I mean the Yellow Devil barely done anything in its own game series, yet Ridley's always been really dynamic.

On that, I like to think that was a reference to SE, because of Samus and Piachu's alliance and slaying of Riddles :3

What if this boss Sakurai's been teasing is the Queen Metroid? It makes sense to have the Queen METROID be the METROID boss in a METROID stage. She;s faced off against it a few times, and it does show up near there in Other M.

The biggest issue is he doesn't even attack Pikachu, which is explicitly un-AI-like. He seems to grab Pikachu, do nothing, and then let go before going to the left, flipping around and going to the right again. Combined with the fact that he's approximately one Bowser large and moves in the air at about Pikachu's half-walking speed, it's just looking really awkward for Bossley.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

I like to imagine Sakurai was teasing the Vorash.

Also, I believe Ridley grabbed Pikachu (Which is a troubling bosslike characteristic) but then instead of eating Pikachu like the badass Space Dragon he is, he just...lets him hang. (Which helps his playability.)

majora_787

Smash Hero

Also, I believe Ridley grabbed Pikachu (Which is a troubling bosslike characteristic) but then instead of eating Pikachu like the badass Space Dragon he is, he just...lets him hang. (Which helps his playability.)
The problem isn't even in and of itself that Ridley grabbed Pikachu. The issue is he grabbed Pikachu, sat in place, and did nothing. Boss grabs generally come in two types. A "cinematic" (for lack of a better term) one which is inescapable guaranteed damage if you get caught in it (Tabuu had two of these.), or a Damage over Time one which Master Hand and Crazy Hand both had in which you can mash or attack to escape the grab but it immediately does damage. Even playable AI does the latter more often than not. They don't simply hug up on people, hold them in an unending passionate embrace, and then wait for them to leave.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

I bet Ridley and Pikachu were the only characters on Pyrosphere during that clip. Pikachu P1 and Ridley P2 or vice versa.

AndreaAC

As I've said, Sakurai has had like 2 years to look over Other M Ridley, I'm positive that he'll redesign it to at the very least look presentable.

I mean, the rest of the characters look amazing, and what would be the point of picking Ridley if he was an ugly b*stard?
012 - Copy.gif

"..."

It's just my pride...I always wanted to play as the beutiful bast@rd I literally fell in love with...not the clone from the parallel dimension of babies and flying bottles...But I may get used to it.

SteroidSuitSamus

Smash Rookie
Me before this thread: Oh yeah sure Ridley would be nice

After: SAKURAI GIVE ME THE FLIPPING SPACE DRAGON AND NO ONE GETS HURT!

Yeah, the whole grab thing kinda bugs up the boss theory.

It looks like it was designed to emulate a boss, tying in with that teasing prankster known as Sakurai-Sama.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
All of these Ridley images and models and bits of art make me realize one thing:

Ridley has a really weird neck.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I find it bizarre how people can apply "face value" to something so ambiguous when there are so many things wrong here. But whatever I guess xD E3 will be the day of reckoning.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
The problem isn't even in and of itself that Ridley grabbed Pikachu. The issue is he grabbed Pikachu, sat in place, and did nothing. Boss grabs generally come in two types. A "cinematic" (for lack of a better term) one which is inescapable guaranteed damage if you get caught in it (Tabuu had two of these.), or a Damage over Time one which Master Hand and Crazy Hand both had in which you can mash or attack to escape the grab but it immediately does damage. Even playable AI does the latter more often than not. They don't simply hug up on people, hold them in an unending passionate embrace, and then wait for them to leave.
The way he grabs Pikachu is odd too. He has those giant hands why not use those like in Other M. I said it before but we all know how Sakurai loves giving characters classic moves.

Heh this is like the grab in the direct. Just like Super Metroid.

SteroidSuitSamus

Smash Rookie
Most likely, Other M! Ridley will be what he looks like, but they made Other M! Samus look good and Zamus is a mixture of Zero Mission and Other M,

AndreaAC

All of these Ridley images and models and bits of art make me realize one thing:

Ridley has a really weird neck.
IMG00014.jpg

xD Ridley may have a wierd neck but he's still gorgeous...

Roidley on the other hand...well...meh...he's...ok

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
View attachment 14779
xD Ridley may have a wierd neck but he's still gorgeous...

Roidley on the other hand...well...meh...he's...ok
Now that I look at in, SM Ridley has a really messed up anatomy.

Like, why does his neck look like it's not connected to the rest of his vertebral column? And what's with that gap on his ribs?

Oh well, at least he looks like a weird xenomorph thingy, which gives him an alien like feel to it.

SteroidSuitSamus

Smash Rookie
Wait wait wait... Roidley is a clone!

:o

Ridley could be a boss and fighter!

Nah, it's probably just a fighter XD

Is Sakurai from Alternia?

Because he's a real troll.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The way he grabs Pikachu is odd too. He has those giant hands why not use those like in Other M. I said it before but we all know how Sakurai loves giving characters classic moves.

Heh this is like the grab in the direct. Just like Super Metroid.
Yeah, gonna be honest, I have NO IDEA What Ridley's doing to Pikachu.

pikachuley.png

I...Is he grabbing Pikachu with his feet? One hand? Is Pikachu just floating? What?

SteroidSuitSamus

Smash Rookie
He looks like he's killed Pikachu :s

So can Ridley grab in mid air? In Brawl, if I remember correctly, only (Toon) Link and Samus could grab in air because tether.

Perhaps Ridley's long limbs act like tethers?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
He looks like he's killed Pikachu :s

So can Ridley grab in mid air? In Brawl, if I remember correctly, only (Toon) Link and Samus could grab in air because tether.

Perhaps Ridley's long limbs act like tethers?
Tethers don't grab. The only aerial grabs currently in the game are command grabs like Ganon's side b.

AndreaAC

Now that I look at in, SM Ridley has a really messed up anatomy.

Like, why does his neck look like it's not connected to the rest of his vertebral column? And what's with that gap on his ribs?

Oh well, at least he looks like a weird xenomorph thingy, which gives him an alien like feel to it.
xD well, it is not as wierd as this...

1197573300ridley07jx4.gif

it looks like his mouth got merged with his neck...

Top Bottom