• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Morbi

Scavenger
Something I wanted to ask: why users from other forums have a discriminated view on Smashboards users? Is it because those places have more "toobigots" compared to here?
Most of us tend to be elitist, hasty generalization fallacy incoming; typically, Smashboards members are more intelligent and competent in regards to speculation (or at least we like to believe that we are). Therefore we have discriminated interpretations of other communities as well (the communities that rely on colloquialisms predominately, such as Miiverse or GameFAQs). Honestly, it is probably just an in-group versus out-group type of scenario.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
doesn't change the color and the c error (also, the fact that these error appear on the unlocked character just shows that they have been added which makes it not normal to see them unlocked).
Just proved the C thing wrong too. Working on the color one now ;)

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think the issue is, Smashboards sections people off and filters them out so you would literally have to go somewhere you shouldn't be to be awful. Gamefaqs just throws everyone in a toilet and goes "TALK ABOUT STUFF" and it's just kind of... yeah.

EDIT: Right, right. Ridley. I just had to deal with some guy who was just going off about "What can Ridley even do in his moveset? scratch people lol".

I wish there was a 'throat punch through the internet' button. When I went on about how ANYONE can be simplified that much, they went on some rant I literally could not care less about on WHERE everyone's movesets came from, totally avoiding the actual point.

Last edited:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Appreciate your enthusiasm guys, but don't stray from RidleyTalk onto general leak discussion or whatever other sites views on us are.
Thank you. NeoGAF vs. Smashboards vs. GameFAQS is a stupid topic to discuss since every forums always have their rotten apples and good apples.

Anyway, I hope that everyone are looking forward one of countdown GIF in the future since I have one more Ridley GIF ;)

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Appreciate your enthusiasm guys, but don't stray from RidleyTalk onto general leak discussion or whatever other sites views on us are.
Wouldn't this leak qualify as pertaining to Ridley, as if it was real it proves Ridley is playable?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So, here's a question that's probably already been answered.

In that clip showing Ridley's shadow, Ridley seems to move strictly on the same plane as the fighters; he doesn't seem to move into or from the foreground or background. So, Ridley in that clip is just flying from one end of the stage to the other. My question is, would he have run into the floating platforms at any point? If he does, that seems kind of odd for a boss to do, doesn't it?
Totally. And we know its regular Pyrosphere.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
View attachment 14736
He's pointing at those lines...they look different
Doesn't a similar effect happen when you select a character on the roster screen in Brawl?
The outline differs slightly because of the selection and the portrait outline turns to blue because the 2nd player is blue-colored.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
EDIT: Right, right. Ridley. I just had to deal with some guy who was just going off about "What can Ridley even do in his moveset? scratch people lol".
You can say that with just about any newcomer. "What could Little Mac possibly do? punch people lol" or "why would you want Mega Man all he does is shoot people LMAO"

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman
You can say that with just about any newcomer. "What could Little Mac possibly do? punch people lol" or "why would you want Mega Man all he does is shoot people LMAO"
If they can make a moveset for Wii fit trainer. THEY CAN make a moveset for ridley.

(Seriously it can NOT be that hard)

EDIT: Oh yea, and also R.O.B

Last edited:

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
When they showed Ridley's shadow in the Smash Direct, wasn't that sort of already confirming him as only a boss character for pyrosphere?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
If they can make a moveset for Wii fit trainer. THEY CAN make a moveset for ridley.

(Seriously it can NOT be that hard)
Yeah I don't see why people so desperately not want Ridley playable.

He has just as much moveset potential as the other playable bosses like Bowser and King Dedede. Heck he has more moveset options then Bowser....

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I have a What If scenario for you Ridley fans. I'm not sure if it's been brought up before but there's like 700+ pages here and I ain't readin all of them.

What if Sakurai straight up said, "Yes, we were 100% onboard with having Ridley be playable, and he wasn't going to be the bastardized shrunken down version. He was going to be bigger than Bowser but still playable. But it came to our attention that he was too big for the 3DS to handle so due to the 3DS limitations and both versions needing the same roster, even though the Wii U could handle him just fine, we decided to cut Ridley from the roster."

If that were the case, how pissed off would you guys be?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
When they showed Ridley's shadow in the Smash Direct, wasn't that sort of already confirming him as only a boss character for pyrosphere?
That's where the controversy is. They never actually outright say he was a boss, they say he was a 'boss character'

Technically, lots of the playable cast are boss characters (dedede, ganondorf, bowser)

Also, the section he was shown off in was the 'Stages' section. Not hazards, not bosses.

Lastly, there was a lot of small coy stuff going on that video, between Sakurai's trolls on ZSS and Palutena, and the fact that they both cut the volume on the section where they show ridley, and never actually show him, or mention him by name

So while definitely not confirming he's playable or not, it certainly throws some sand in our eyes.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If it was, this thread probably wouldn't exist anymore.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
The key difference with them and Ridley is that, at the very least, the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of Little Mac or Mega Man is that he punches and that he shoots, respectively.

With Ridley, the first thing that comes to mind is "flying around spewing fireballs", yet people think he can only scratch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure there hasn't been a single moment in the history of Metroid where Ridley's main method of attack is using his claws to scratch people.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The key difference with them and Ridley is that, at the very least, the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of Little Mac or Mega Man is that he punches and that he shoots, respectively.

With Ridley, the first thing that comes to mind is "flying around spewing fireballs", yet people think he can only scratch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure there hasn't been a single moment in the history of Metroid where Ridley's main method of attack is using his claws to scratch people.
He did it in Metroid Prime, after being forced to land on the ground.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
That's where the controversy is. They never actually outright say he was a boss, they say he was a 'boss character'

Technically, lots of the playable cast are boss characters (dedede, ganondorf, bowser)

Also, the section he was shown off in was the 'Stages' section. Not hazards, not bosses.

Lastly, there was a lot of small coy stuff going on that video, between Sakurai's trolls on ZSS and Palutena, and the fact that they both cut the volume on the section where they show ridley, and never actually show him, or mention him by name

So while definitely not confirming he's playable or not, it certainly throws some sand in our eyes.
In short, Sakurai used Sand Attack and lowered our accuracy to tell if Ridley is playable or not.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394

I guess I see what you mean, Sakurai does try to be unpredictable.

D

Deleted member

Are you new here or what?
I have a What If scenario for you Ridley fans. I'm not sure if it's been brought up before but there's like 700+ pages here and I ain't readin all of them.

What if Sakurai straight up said, "Yes, we were 100% onboard with having Ridley be playable, and he wasn't going to be the *******ized shrunken down version. He was going to be bigger than Bowser but still playable. But it came to our attention that he was too big for the 3DS to handle so due to the 3DS limitations and both versions needing the same roster, even though the Wii U could handle him just fine, we decided to cut Ridley from the roster."

100/10 if this was the case, he would have shown Ridley already, besides, there isn't something like that, the 3DS can handle him just fine

Xhampi

Smash Lord

What if Sakurai straight up said, "Yes, we were 100% onboard with having Ridley be playable, and he wasn't going to be the *******ized shrunken down version. He was going to be bigger than Bowser but still playable. But it came to our attention that he was too big for the 3DS to handle so due to the 3DS limitations and both versions needing the same roster, even though the Wii U could handle him just fine, we decided to cut Ridley from the roster."

Ridley/10
Believe me that's a big number.

The Dynablade rip-off from Brawl don't use a single fireball (Meta Ridley does tough for some reasons) and it seems to me that a lot of people who say that Ridley would be a clone and don't have moveset potential have only ever fought Ridley in this game =/

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
The Dynablade rip-off from Brawl don't use a single fireball (Meta Ridley does tough for some reasons) and it seems to me that a lot of people who say that Ridley would be a clone and don't have moveset potential have only ever fought Ridley in this game =/
And that's why it's a bad idea to argue against a character's inclusion without any knowledge of the character itself.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Wouldn't this leak qualify as pertaining to Ridley, as if it was real it proves Ridley is playable?
Certainly. But people seem to be discussing the leak itself rather than the implications of Ridley being on it.

On another note, I'd hate to argue semantics, but much like the infamous shadow/boss segment, the leak doesn't actually mention Ridley by name.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
On another note, I'd hate to argue semantics, but much like the infamous shadow/boss segment, the leak doesn't actually mention Ridley by name.
Name a single other Metroid character that has a name that needs in Y and is just long enough to not take up the entire box.

Like I get avoiding the leak people are discussing it and not Ridley, but come on.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So, based on the wing-shadows of Ridley, do you think that they've updated his appearance?

The shadows of the second wing-bone don't seem quite as long as Other M Ridley. Maybe they're pulling out the concept art for his Sm4sh appearance?

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Certainly. But people seem to be discussing the leak itself rather than the implications of Ridley being on it.

1. the guy who posted the "y leak" is not the same guy who posted the original 2 pictures
2. the original leaker, after posting the 3rd and last picture, said that you unlock ridley and megaman when beating tourney mode, so if the leak is real than ridley is in.

D

Deleted member

Hey, don't diss Joey!

Joey was a better Robin than friggin Robin!
Who said I was dissing him? I'm just making a joke that "Joey" is short enough to not cover the space and ends with "Y".

I literally don't know anything about him other that he exists in some manga.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Name a single other Metroid character that has a name that needs in Y and is just long enough to not take up the entire box.

Like I get avoiding the leak people are discussing it and not Ridley, but come on.
"Remember me ? " And at least still alive.

:nifty:Don't kill me.

D

Deleted member

"Remember me ? " And at least still alive.

:nifty:Don't kill me.
He meant other than Anthony, since he was already talking about him. With context that "Anthony" would take up the whole rectangle, and thus it couldn't have been him in that image.

Unlike "Ridley", "Baby", or "Joey".

Last edited by a moderator:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

The possibility exists that it's not a Metroid character at all. But I digress, that would be continuing non-Ridley leak discussion.

Also Gray Voice, Lily Thran, and Rodney, Samus' father.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
The possibility exists that it's not a Metroid character at all. But I digress, that would be continuing non-Ridley leak discussion.

Has to be a Metroid character, you can see the Player two cursor over it, and in the bottom left you can see that said selected character has the Metroid symbol.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Given how the image suggest the second (blue) player selected that slot, and the respective player box shows a blue Metroid symbol, it's clear it has to be a Metroid character.

EDIT: Oops, ninja'd.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Was taking into account the people saying the 3rd image wasn't from the same person/was already debunked or whatever. Not that I think some small detail like that really means anything, or that I'm actually following discussion surrounding it.

Top Bottom