• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Don’t know if it helps much, but I compared Smash 4 Ridley with Dead or Alive Ridley. Something I noticed is that DoA Ridley is a lot bigger than Smash 4 Ridley, which is interesting, because DoA Ridley is his original size. Even the large fighters (Genra and Tengu) are dwarfed by Ridley. The same can’t be said for Pikachu in Smash 4. He really isn’t all that small compared to Ridley, which leads me to believe that Ridley has shrunk quite a bit. I don’t think Sakurai would shrink Ridley if he's just a stage hazard, so there must be more to this.
I'm gonna be that guy, and say maybe they wanted to match the size of Yellow Devil.
But it seems smaller then him so...I'm Donkey Kong. [IDK]

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I'm gonna be that guy, and say maybe they wanted to match the size of Yellow Devil.
Well here is our smallest stage boss confirmed. (I don't even wanna hear people saying "B-b-but we don't know if he is a stage boss yet!")

From the shadow research I believe Ridley is even smaller then the Dark Emperor.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
That could very well be possible. I guess there's just no way of knowing what we're in for. But I doubt every boss will be the same size. Brawl's bosses certainly weren't and they usually came pretty close to their canon size.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
For fun, I decided to scale my theoretical Smash Ridley with another one of Wizardglory's models.

groupshot two rids copy.png

I wholly expect some "little brother" jokes by AndreaAC by the end of the day.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm going to be a slowpoke here and ask: What exactly are you pointing out? For the life of me, I can't see it.
Ridley name box is a couple of pixels higher than pits so this of the 6 is a fraud.

But ridley is probably still going to prevail at E3.

If the suposive leak of all pictures is fake doesn't change much on who might get in.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
For fun, I decided to scale my theoretical Smash Ridley with another one of Wizardglory's models.

View attachment 14732
I wholly expect some "little brother" jokes by AndreaAC by the end of the day.
I think a better size comparison would be Yellow Devil next to Ridley. I'd like to see that.

And maybe put both there models on Pyrosphere.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
regarding the fake, what kind of fake was that? it was supposed to be the demo build or the tournament build CSS leak? and what kinda of build would be that? while i could understand no Rosalina or Greninja, and to a lesser extent no Ike (although Ike is probably already finished) but why not Toon link or Bowser playable? and if they were avoiding too new newcomers, why the hell they would put Ridley? since probably a CGI trailer, or even a gameplay trailer a la sonic alone would be certainly enough to hype people up to the heavens!

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well, allegedly the tournament build is the one with Ridley, Mac, and Mega Man and apparently one of them (likely Ridley) was supposed to be locked until after that version was "won" so it could have been that the intention that once the tournament was won, Ridley would pop up.

...Which would probably get a lot of people hyped. But it does sound like something a fan would come up with.

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
regarding the fake, what kind of fake was that? it was supposed to be the demo build or the tournament build CSS leak? and what kinda of build would be that? while i could understand no Rosalina or Greninja, and to a lesser extent no Ike (although Ike is probably already finished) but why not Toon link or Bowser playable? and if they were avoiding too new newcomers, why the hell they would put Ridley? since probably a CGI trailer, or even a gameplay trailer a la sonic alone would be certainly enough to hype people up to the heavens!
I'm not convinced it's fake yet and I'm still at the point of flipping a coin. Granted, I didn't do anything like draw the line from the right edge of the box Pit is in down to the 2nd character selection since it doesn't seem like it's completely even in all of the images...and 19 (or it is 22?) would be a nice amount for a demo...sorry I don't mean to go off-topic so I'll stop here.

This leak (and images) is best explained here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69299342

Anyway SvartWolf, my guess is that out of 19 characters that they wanted to have a nice mix of series and that 3 Mario reps and 3 Pokemon reps were enough. Ridley is such a hot-topic character that he going to be pretty much all but confirmed or de-confirmed at E3 and at this event (and that Ridley is pretty popular in the US) that it makes a lot of sense to show him now.

EDIT: It's 19, my bad.

Last edited:

SteroidSuitSamus

Smash Rookie
I was just playing through the Subspace Emissary, and looking at Ridley's size, it's not that big. Most of his height comes from his tail, and if he's playable, he'd be on the ground a lot. Probably just a bit bigger than Bowser. He'd probably be on all fours when walking, on his hind legs whilst hitting or holding something, and obviously flying whilst... flying.

And if it's the Other M design, that Ridley isn't really that big, which helps as well as the fact SSB has never been to scale. Though to be fair, that Ridley had just got to that stage of its life style.

I can't really see a Final Smash. Probably a cinematic, with Ridley wall scraping anyone who he catches.

I'm much more of a casual fan of Rids than everyone else here, so it won't be too disappointing if he doesn't show up, but I will be delighted, truly over the moon if he is.

Also, the Ridley shadow in the direct... Really wasn't that big.

D

Deleted member

I was just playing through the Subspace Emissary, and looking at Ridley's size, it's not that big. Most of his height comes from his tail, and if he's playable, he'd be on the ground a lot. Probably just a bit bigger than Bowser. He'd probably be on all fours when walking, on his hind legs whilst hitting or holding something, and obviously flying whilst... flying.

And if it's the Other M design, that Ridley isn't really that big, which helps as well as the fact SSB has never been to scale. Though to be fair, that Ridley had just got to that stage of its life style.

I can't really see a Final Smash. Probably a cinematic, with Ridley wall scraping anyone who he catches.

I'm much more of a casual fan of Rids than everyone else here, so it won't be too disappointing if he doesn't show up, but I will be delighted, truly over the moon if he is.

That's something that always bugged me, when you compare SSE Ridley to Bowser/DK, he isn't that big
Btw, welcome to Smashboards

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman

WELCOME TO THE THREAD!
(I hope this does not come off as a troll post)

Last edited:

gitryan

Smash Rookie
Ridley name box is a couple of pixels higher than pits so this of the 6 is a fraud.

But ridley is probably still going to prevail at E3.

If the suposive leak of all pictures is fake doesn't change much on who might get in.
I've just signed up, and never used a forum before, so I'm not sure if I'm replying in the right way!! but about the pixel differences - on menu/button designs I've worked on in the past, we usually change/move the pixels so when zoomed out it gives the illusion of depth, when something has been selected or 'pushed' - Could that not be the case in this instance?

SteroidSuitSamus

Smash Rookie
I've just signed up, and never used a forum before, so I'm not sure if I'm replying in the right way!! but about the pixel differences - on menu/button designs I've worked on in the past, we usually change/move the pixels so when zoomed out it gives the illusion of depth, when something has been selected or 'pushed' - Could that not be the case in this instance?
Yeah, you're definetley replying right XD

Aww, thanks guys! Wow, that picture of Yellow Devil and Ridley on Pyrosphere... Considering that's maximum, I see Ridley and Zamus being about the same size XD

To be fair though, Zero Suit Samus is 6'3" and wearing heels XD

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman
A menu/game tester in the thread? Could lead to some good conversations I guess.

Nontheless,welcome to the thread :b:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That's something that always bugged me, when you compare SSE Ridley to Bowser/DK,
Btw, welcome to Smashboards
On the other hand, Samus barely gets up to Ridley's knee.

But what's past is past. We have enough evidence to doubt Sakurai would relegate Ridley to a boss again.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
He could walk on all fours like DK or fold his wings.

But the model I've used was based on the assumption that Ridley is a boss, so naturally I made it as huge as possible.
OKay that makes. Sense ridley does fit the whole center int hat picture.

Now can you do another one with the shadow aproximate size one and a playable one?

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Your ridley is slightly too big
This is still what I'm seeing personally for Ridley's size. We only have shadow comparisons of Ridley in the air but if he is standing clearly his knee's would be bent and be hunched over like Bowser and better example Donkey Kong.

Here look at all the pics of DK you can't find much with him extending his legs fully or straightening his posture.

http://smashbros-miiverse.com/characters/donkey_kong

Also good size comparison of Bowser, Yellow Devil, and Mega Man.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
you know what would be hilarious? (although extremly rage inducing) if the leak is real, but instead of Ridley we get "Anthony Higgy"

Remembery Mey?

This leak (and images) is best explained here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69299342

Anyway SvartWolf, my guess is that out of 19 characters that they wanted to have a nice mix of series and that 3 Mario reps and 3 Pokemon reps were enough. Ridley is such a hot-topic character that he going to be pretty much all but confirmed or de-confirmed at E3 and at this event (and that Ridley is pretty popular in the US) that it makes a lot of sense to show him now.

EDIT: It's 19, my bad.
Dunno, the build shown still doesn't make much sense to me, plus im pretty sure that bowser have more interesting changes than say, peach, so I think that people should be more hyped to test him than peach.

Also, im kinda sure we are going to have at least one FE reveal in the E3... so no hinting at any FEish is also suspicous.

there is also the chance than when this screen was taken the tourney roster wasn't set on stone and would explain the lack of little mac on some, but is franky highly unlikely.

there is also teh chance that the whole leak have been staged by teh development to create hype, but in that case i doubt it would appear on 4chan istead on say, gamefaqs, or ign...

gitryan

Smash Rookie
Welp, I guess Ridley isn't playable after all...
I mentioned this earlier
"about the pixel differences - on menu/button designs I've worked on in the past, we usually change/move the pixels so when zoomed out it gives the illusion of depth, when something has been selected or 'pushed' - Could that not be the case in this instance?"

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Im on the belief that every "leak" coming from 4chan should automatically be ignored at once. Not discussing if its fake or real. Its always fake.
The only good leak so far is the first Gematsu leak, since it at least has been partially confirmed, besides not having gotten the characters reveal date right.

D

Deleted member

you know what would be hilarious? (although extremly rage inducing) if the leak is real, but instead of Ridley we get "Anthony Higgy"

Remembery Mey?

Dunno, the build shown still doesn't make much sense to me, plus im pretty sure that bowser have more interesting changes than say, peach, so I think that people should be more hyped to test him than peach.

Also, im kinda sure we are going to have at least one FE reveal in the E3... so no hinting at any FEish is also suspicous.

there is also the chance than when this screen was taken the tourney roster wasn't set on stone and would explain the lack of little mac on some, but is franky highly unlikely.

there is also teh chance that the whole leak have been staged by teh development to create hype, but in that case i doubt it would appear on 4chan istead on say, gamefaqs, or ign...
I would lose all the respect I have for Sakurai if he added Anthony, I can accept any char he puts(WFT, Pac-man, Mii), but refusing to add Ridley and instead adding a one-shot char that comes from the most hated game of the franchise is just...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I would lose all the respect I have for Sakurai if he added Anthony, I can accept any char he puts(WFT, Pac-man, Mii), but refusing to add Ridley and instead adding a one-shot char that comes from the most hated game of the franchise is just...
Well, I guess our E3 reveals will be Pac-Man, Miis, Anthony, and Tingle.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick of analyzing shadows. I was hoping that we could actually discuss something else other than that.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo loves that game though, they use the assets and art style for every Metroid reference since the launch of the 3DS. The only exception was the wara wara plaza reveal, which had a Prime 2 render, but I totally expect the person who did that was kicked out for that sin :p

Top Bottom