• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I got the 3DS Ambassador thing, So I got Fusion for Free
Is rly cool, Don't see why people wouldn't like it
It's the most linear, least exploratory Metroid in the series. The game is constantly taking you by the hand and telling you what to do and where to go, and there's only one legitimate sequence break you can do in the game, but that requires a ton of skill and doesn't actually do anything for you. All the rest aren't intentional and glitches, and don't really help that much. It's a Metroid game, yeah, but only really in name and gameplay. People hated Fusion 'cause at the end of the day, that's all it shared with the series. Plus, it was the precursor to Other M in that they should've realized that people don't play Metroid for story.

Having said that, I still enjoyed it, but its flaws are way more obvious.

Last edited:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I'm really behind on all the shadow stuff, but what are people concluding from Ridley shadow and tail analysis?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So guys, Ike being announced today actually helps Ridley's chance. Go look at Miiverse or any comments section and what do you see? "Chrom disconfirmed" "Aw man, i wanted Chrom" "What does that mean for Chrom?" These are constant. Why would Sakurai reveal Ike so close to E3? If you believe the Gematsu leak, you know Chrom is still coming. Sakurai is lowering people's hopes just to bring them back up again. I believe we'll see Chrom at E3 and people will be surprised. Just as surprised as people will be when Ridley is revealed after being seemingly disconfirmed.
Or we don't believe the leak and are hoping for Robin.

I guess the reveal of Ike just shows that characters a lot of people thought wouldn't make it in for one reason or another can still make it in.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
It takes a long time to program a single stage hazard. You know how it is. One boss will take at LEAST 7-8 months to finish. Makes sense..
This. From what we seen from Yellow Devil I believe he only does like 3 things. xD Geez what do people expect for Ridley to have like 100 attack moves or something? :rolleyes:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
At this point I think the only cuts are going to be Snake & Pokemon trainer, and I hope I'm right!
I think Snake could still be in, actually. I think it's possible that Squirtle and Ivysaur are our only cuts.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I don't get the thought of the Best Buy demos revealing Ridley's fate. The Digital Event is going to be where all the new character related news goes down, though I guess if we don't see him there the demos will be the "safety net" as it were.

D

Deleted member

Alright, I've finished up my Specials moveset for infinite flight Ridley:
View attachment 14628
Side Special: Operates similarly to the Koopa Klaw. Ridley grabs the opponent, and begins biting and tearing away. While this is Ridley's strongest attack in terms of damage, knockback is minimal, as Ridley simply drops his opponent if they offer no resistance after a while. While in flight mode, Ridley's horizontal flight is locked, restricting him to flying up and down.
Hey look! more moveset speculation, you know what that means right?
More Walls of Text and Questions! :awesome:

I'll just cut to the chase:

I've already been over the other special moves for the most part, now I would like to inquire about the Side-B you created. You say this Side-B will function like Bowser's Koopa Klaw, does that mean that it will have both a non-grab animation that deals damage (a claw attack) and an animation that grabs the opponent, or just the latter? Another thing, with regards to directional input, will Ridley only have Forward and Backwards command throws or will he have up and down command throws as well? Furthermore, would Ridley not have different command throw animations depending on if he executes the move in the air or on the ground? Also, with regards to the overall damage being high approximately how strong would the pummel be (% wise) (and how quickly would each pummel be executed)?

On another note, would Ridley's down B when activated on the ground produce shockwaves or some sort of AoE damage? If so, would the range of this attack be similar, greater, or smaller than that of DK's down B (would this attack also release at a similar consecutive rate?)

Some final questions regarding Ridley's neutral B, assuming this is chargeable, would it have high damage potential on the ground (at point blank range) to compensate for the lack of range this move has when Ridley's altitude is low? (Similar to a point blank Rock Smash from Charizard) Would the damage the fireballs deal be multi-hit like Greninja's water shuriken or single hit high damage like Samus's Charge Shot (when Ridley's move is charged?)

Thank you for taking the time to read/respond to these questions.

Morbi

Scavenger
This. From what we seen from Yellow Devil I believe he only does like 3 things. xD Geez what do people expect for Ridley to have like 100 attack moves or something? :rolleyes:
Obviously, I believe Ridley to be playable; however, if Ridley was really a boss, more effort would probably be focused on him. I mean, Yellow Devil needed to be ready long ago because Mega Man was a front-runner. He is the only example of a boss that we have, and he explodes. Other bosses might not be so gimmicky, they might be more... boss like?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Obviously, I believe Ridley to be playable; however, if Ridley was really a boss, more effort would probably be focused on him. I mean, Yellow Devil needed to be ready long ago because Mega Man was a front-runner. He is the only example of a boss that we have, and he explodes. Other bosses might not be so gimmicky, they might be more... boss like?
I can agree with abit more effort being put into Ridley but not that much more. Definitely not 9+ Months to even get a teaser of him.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
The trolling Sakurai did in the direct with Samus, I'd give it a zero out of ten :troll:

*booooooooo* *tomatoes thrown*

Sheesh, tough crowd >_>

8-9 months just to get a shadow teaser, to end up announced as a boss, would be no reward for our patience, and a bit cruel to us fans. If Ridley's meant to be a hazard, Sakurai shouldn't have left it so long to say so. Fans of previously dis-confirmed had it easy, their's were quick and straight to the point "de-confirmations" via PotD and/or via the Direct. Whereas with Sakurai announcing a non-playable status via E3, a massive event, would be a kick in the nuts, followed by a stab in the back, and then execution style on Ridley fans. This might seem a bit of an exaggeration for a description, but it's not really a respectable thing to do to fans, getting their hopes up for nothing. Sure Sakurai could be hyping up a boss hazard, but couldn't he had done that with other bosses, and not mess/troll with just one fan base? ._.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
8-9 months just to get a shadow teaser, to end up announced as a boss, would be no reward for our patience, and a bit cruel to us fans. If Ridley's meant to be a hazard, Sakurai shouldn't have left it so long to say so. Fans of previously dis-confirmed had it easy, their's were quick and straight to the point "de-confirmations" via PotD and/or via the Direct. Whereas with Sakurai announcing a non-playable status via E3, a massive event, would be a kick in the nuts, followed by a stab in the back, and then execution style on Ridley fans. This might seem a bit of an exaggeration for a description, but it's not really a respectable thing to do to fans, getting their hopes up for nothing. Sure Sakurai could be hyping up a boss hazard, but couldn't he had done that with other bosses, and not mess/troll with just one fan base? ._.
I think, besides the extensive analysis on the shadow, that's our best hope; to believe in Sakurai's better nature that he will deliver after all this time of turmoil. It's the driving force that keeps this ever-growing fanbase chugging along.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
I think, besides the extensive analysis on the shadow, that's our best hope; to believe in Sakurai's better nature that he will deliver after all this time of turmoil. It's the driving force that keeps this ever-growing fanbase chugging along.
Sakurai knows what he's doing. Hyping people up for E3, the smart thing to do. ;)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
WALLS OF TEXT

GOD I LOVE WALLS OF TEXT

I've already been over the other special moves for the most part, now I would like to inquire about the Side-B you created. You say this Side-B will function like Bowser's Koopa Klaw, does that mean that it will have both a non-grab animation that deals damage (a claw attack) and an animation that grabs the opponent, or just the latter? Another thing, with regards to directional input, will Ridley only have Forward and Backwards command throws or will he have up and down command throws as well? Furthermore, would Ridley not have different command throw animations depending on if he executes the move in the air or on the ground? Also, with regards to the overall damage being high approximately how strong would the pummel be (% wise) (and how quickly would each pummel be executed)?
Ravage sorta operates like the Koopa Klaw, but with some differences. It deals swiping damage if the grab doesn't connect, and heavily damages the opponent with lots of %s if one is caught. (I haven't thought of any values yet) However, to balance this (and to replicate Ridley boss fights more accurately) there's no throwing involved. The primary purpose of the attack is as a damage dealer, not a finishing move. Ridley will simply drop the opponent if said opponent doesn't escape first. (Cooldown time will ensure no chain-grabs ensue)

I am kinda concerned that such a move would be broken in stamina matches, but one step at a time.

On another note, would Ridley's down B when activated on the ground produce shockwaves or some sort of AoE damage? If so, would the range of this attack be similar, greater, or smaller than that of DK's down B (would this attack also release at a similar consecutive rate?)
I haven't really decided how powerful jackhammering the ground should be. But I figure that since Ridley is able to move through the air, making his tail have a shockwave effect would be kinda a broken move. So, tiny hitbox. But if I do decide that it should be super-strong, I imagine an interval of one second, max, between each consecutive attack.

Some final questions regarding Ridley's neutral B, assuming this is chargeable, would it have high damage potential on the ground (at point blank range) to compensate for the lack of range this move has when Ridley's altitude is low? (Similar to a point blank Rock Smash from Charizard) Would the damage the fireballs deal be multi-hit like Greninja's water shuriken or single hit high damage like Samus's Charge Shot (when Ridley's move is charged?)

Thank you for taking the time to read/respond to these questions.
Fireballs are my current idea for Ridley's finishing special. They explode upon contact with any surface or character, so it's sorta like Samus's Charge beam, and are always aimed downward diagonally. While more powerful near the ground, as the explosions are more concentrated, its range is longer the higher one is. They're also uncharged, but the cooldown time leaves Ridley open to attack.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just booted up Melee again for the first time in forever today and found the name tag "Ridl" on my old save file. The name was from before I actually got my first Metroid game as I usually carried name tags for things I was hyped about but hadn't yet seen/didn't own, so it's quite obvious who my motivator to get into Metroid was.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
*sigh* I'm surprised at how detractors' minds work sometimes.

So, basically I mentioned the fan-made theory of Melee's Pichu evolving to Brawl's Pikachu on a forum, and a detractor basically argues "they're trophies, they can't grow or age".

So, wait, they're saying that Ridley can't be scaled down and is "too big" for playable status for a non-canon and size-doesn't-matter/not-everything's-to-scale-according-to-Sakurai-creator-of Smash-Bros. series.

Yet all of the characters are trophies, and can't do things that are canon that happen in their games... but must also stick to canon... but have been technically been scaled down...?

What... that doesn't even make any sense. I mean really, who actually thinks that Samus in SSB is a full-scale 6'3" sized trophy and Master Hand is a giant hand? Come on, you can't even get trophies that big...

Considering the fact that SSB's opening shows characters as toys being placed on a desk by Master Hand, in SSE for Brawl the characters turn into trophies, and Master Hand's trophy descriptions mention a link between the real world and Smash Bros. world, pretty much shows that the characters are scaled down (apart from Olimar & Pikmin and Mr. Game & Watch), people just don't really take notice of it and assume certain characters are to scale.

And they seem to use the "must stick to canon" argument for Ridley, but don't care about canon for anyone else and say it's fine because they can be scaled down and look "natural"...?

I need a lie down... Double standards, Double standards everywhere...

@ _ @

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I think by that he means that a returning veteran isn't really indicative of a potential newcomer. I'm honestly not sure where people came up with that idea, either, but I'd also enjoy to hear both sides of that argument.

Like I've said before, all Ike is indicative of is that we're probably going to see more Brawl veterans than we were expecting to see.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think it has to do with leaks, none of which are really valid anymore anyway.

But Ridley has plenty to stand on in terms of probably playability without that as it is. So I dunno.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Btw, I was reading up on the cast for the new Star Wars films, and one of the actors are named Daisy Ridley. When I read the sentence "Ridley is a newcomer" my heart automatically jumped even if I knew it had nothing to do with that Ridley. Found it kind of funny, some things will never be the same with so many years of support behind my back.
So, a relative of the great Space Pirate commander is going to be in the next Star Wars movie?/jk

Wonder if she even knows about Metroid.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
His eye appears, he roars, fight starts, sweet and simple. Speaking of which...here's a question...how would you think they'd make him sound? Like his Super Metroid self? More monstrous like Meta Ridley? Or how about sounding like a Castrated Rodan?

D

Deleted member

His eye appears, he roars, fight starts, sweet and simple. Speaking of which...here's a question...how would you think they'd make him sound? Like his Super Metroid self? More monstrous like Meta Ridley? Or how about sounding like a Castrated Rodan?
I would prefer more monstrous, I like my Purple Space Dragons to sound as fearsome as possible.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I really hope this, or something like it, is his entrance animation. While it is true that Ridley is a bloodthirsty carnal killer, such an entrance would also convey his more sneaky, calculating side, aka more then a mindless creature like many think him to be.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
While the flying in entrance would be awesome, it would admittedly be dumb to then see Ridley be limited to jumps/recovery special rather than being able to fly indefinitely/at will without limitations for the sake of balance. The cutscene showing Charizard flying in the SSE had that effect on me as well.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
While the flying in entrance would be awesome, it would admittedly be dumb to then see Ridley be limited to jumps/recovery special rather than being able to fly indefinitely/at will without limitations for the sake of balance. The cutscene showing Charizard flying in the SSE had that effect on me as well.
Have you seen my "Infinite flying Ridley" moveset?

I mean, I doubt that will be implemented in game, but I expect Ridley to have lots of airtime.

While that intro would be all sorts of awesome, I doubt Ridley would be able to pull it off on brightly-lit stages.

I mean, unless he has magic darkness or something...

Last edited:
Top Bottom