• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Only thing that worries me about the jumping thing is that I think people are putting too much stock in it. If Ridley IS a stage hazard/boss, it makes sense for him to utilize the platforms/ground as well. I mean, look at the behavior for the Ultimate Chimera. It didn't necessarily seek out players to kill, like Ridley might, but it DOES stalk and jump about. Couple that with Ridley's penchant for grabbing stuff and, well, I don't see Ridley jumping to necessarily be the be-all/end-all of arguments.
On the other hand, The Ultimate Chimera is a hazard that's not meant to be defeated. (Yes, I know you can "kill" it, but its primary purpose is as a thing to avoid or toss other fighters at)

Ridley, on the other hand, was grouped with the Yellow Devil, implying that he is meant to be defeated. If that's the case, Ridley would be the first boss in Smash Bros to have a battlefield that ISN'T a FD-style platform or a flat plane.

Of course, precedence probably means nothing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If anything I was pointing out how it's suspicious that the last few seconds looked like they weren't meant to be part of the "staged" segment.
Sakurai being Sakurai probably made it seem like the last few frames were unintentional but put them there intentionally for the sake of provoking the fanbase to talk about it, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.:smirk:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Here is the jump for people who want a better look at it. Its odd cuz you see his wing shadow flick up once and then it happens again then he jumps.

The first little flick could have been his fall animation, then lands on platform, then jumps off it. Or first flick was single jump and then after double jump.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Here is the jump for people who want a better look at it. Its odd cuz you see his wing shadow flick up once and then it happens again then he jumps.

The first little flick could have been his fall animation, then lands on platform, then jumps off it. Or first flick was single jump and then after double jump.

Is there a GIF with the whole sequence?

Also is that GIF slowed down at the end or my computer just sucks?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

ASSIST TROPHY CONFIRMED

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728

Oooooh, interesting. I always love more proof that Ridley's a playable character! lose_sonic__by_hyper_sonicx-d62ut4i.gif

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
How would Ridley fair against other characters in the roster? Accordingly, not including Samus and ZSS (for obvious reasons) which characters would he have advantages over and others that give him difficulty?

Lastly, even if Sakurai tries to balance this game there is going to be at least one character that has most advantages over others, so, which tier would Ridley be in?

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
How would Ridley fair against other characters in the roster? Accordingly, not including Samus and ZSS (for obvious reasons) which characters would he have advantages over and others that give him difficulty?

Lastly, even if Sakurai tries to balance this game there is going to be at least one character that has most advantages over others, so, which tier would Ridley be in?
I think Ridley would counter Lil Mac pretty well, but, I could be wrong.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Considering Ridley will likely have a big hitbox and lack the weight to back it up, mid-tier at best.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Okay, using Ridley's tail from before, I have extrapolated Ridley's size.

(Hopefully this model wasn't edited or something, otherwise I'm going to look dumb)
rtail copy.png

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I think Pikachu would wreck Ridley in competitive play. It's been foreshadowed in Brawl, after all.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think Pikachu would wreck Ridley in competitive play. It's been foreshadowed in Brawl, after all.
I can agree to an extent. I think it all depends on how much range Ridley has at his disposal. I do think that characters who have good projectile attacks would prove a problem to Ridley.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Okay, using Ridley's tail from before, I have extrapolated Ridley's size.

(Hopefully this model wasn't edited or something, otherwise I'm going to look dumb)
View attachment 14547
I didn't know Ridley was the size of an electric mouse...

Maybe he's had a Poison Mushroom?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alright, if I bunch the tails together, in order to make Ridley as big as possible...
rtailfix.png

Paging @ Angelglory Angelglory : Can I get a picture of Other M RIdley's model with a straight tail?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Alright, if I bunch the tails together, in order to make Ridley as big as possible...
View attachment 14551
Paging @ Angelglory Angelglory : Can I get a picture of Other M RIdley's model with a straight tail?
This picture could help you. His tail shadow is thicker here. Tail doesn't look to be very long either. Oh and ignore the actual tailbone cuz its super zoomed in on and doesn't help us at all....

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
This picture could help you. His tail shadow is thicker here. Tail doesn't look to be very long either. Oh and ignore the actual tailbone cuz its super zoomed in on and doesn't help us at all....

Could you circle the tail? I can't seem to find it,,,

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I noticed that Roidley's wings are tattered, but the shadow's wings are perfectly fine.

Possible hybrid design? I mean, I guess his wings are like that because he gets shot down, but I digress.
Clone Ridley's wings weren't really tattered in DoA Dimensions either like they were in Other M, so Smash 4 Ridley may just be more or less that same model, which would make sense if Sakurai's ripping off DoA with Rids' execution and all (lazy).

And if they make a Ridley figurine... would look nice next to the one I already have that Happnes made. /obsessed

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Clone Ridley's wings weren't really tattered in DoA Dimensions either like they were in Other M, so Smash 4 Ridley may just be more or less that same model, which would make sense if Sakurai's ripping off DoA with Rids' execution and all (lazy).

And if they make a Ridley figurine... would look nice next to the one I already have that Happnes made. /obsessed
O___O OH MY GOODNESS, you have that beautiful Ridley figure he made!? :c I envy you....

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't really see how Ridley acts AI-controlled, considering he does something that Peacha lready does (Straight horizontal flight at a slow speed) and then grabs Pikachu but then does nothing. Not even playable AI grabs people just to gently snuggle against them awkwardly in the middle of a fight. And then after that we see... whatever Ridley is doing going over to the left, dancing around, and coming back toward the right before the fade-out.

It's really weird stuff to be doing for an AI.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Not even playable AI grabs people just to gently snuggle against them awkwardly in the middle of a fight.
That should be a game.

"Awkward Snuggle Dragons"

It's a 2D fighter where dragons chase and snuggle rodents to increase super meter.

All kidding aside, I'd say that the strange AI signifies either that:

A.) The AI for Ridley as a stage hazard/boss isn't complete (which also might be one of the reasons he's not even shown completely).

B.) The AI for Ridley as a character isn't complete, or the AI is set low. The AI in Brawl at low levels did a really bad job of grabbing and, when they did, would often give you enough time to mash out even when you WERE grabbed.

It just seems to be another one of those things to consider that doesn't seem to have an effect on the character's chances, sadly. Just like jumping.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't really see how Ridley acts AI-controlled, considering he does something that Peacha lready does (Straight horizontal flight at a slow speed) and then grabs Pikachu but then does nothing. Not even playable AI grabs people just to gently snuggle against them awkwardly in the middle of a fight. And then after that we see... whatever Ridley is doing going over to the left, dancing around, and coming back toward the right before the fade-out.

It's really weird stuff to be doing for an AI.
The AI is pretty weird sometimes; I am not making any judgement on whether or not the shadow is playable because the shadow was already confirmed to be a boss character. :awesome:

Top Bottom