• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
All kidding aside, I'd say that the strange AI signifies either that:

A.) The AI for Ridley as a stage hazard/boss isn't complete (which also might be one of the reasons he's not even shown completely).

B.) The AI for Ridley as a character isn't complete, or the AI is set low. The AI in Brawl at low levels did a really bad job of grabbing and, when they did, would often give you enough time to mash out even when you WERE grabbed.

It just seems to be another one of those things to consider that doesn't seem to have an effect on the character's chances, sadly. Just like jumping.
Which, again, wouldn't make sense considering he's been teased for a whole 9 months or so. Unless Sakurai's team is really incompetent, something I find unlikely

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
That should be a game.

"Awkward Snuggle Dragons"

It's a 2D fighter where dragons chase and snuggle rodents to increase super meter.

All kidding aside, I'd say that the strange AI signifies either that:

A.) The AI for Ridley as a stage hazard/boss isn't complete (which also might be one of the reasons he's not even shown completely).

B.) The AI for Ridley as a character isn't complete, or the AI is set low. The AI in Brawl at low levels did a really bad job of grabbing and, when they did, would often give you enough time to mash out even when you WERE grabbed.

It just seems to be another one of those things to consider that doesn't seem to have an effect on the character's chances, sadly. Just like jumping.
C) Sakurai is controlling Ridley while coworker is controlling Pikachu and this **** is staged. Thats what I think.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't edit pictures I just find them. :p

The shadow tail tip is in the center heptagon.
Oh. Huh. Could've sworn that was his arm.

Anyhow, I'm not sure that would help. Judging by the angle of the tail, it appears to be jutting inward, causing distortion. Besides, this would double the size of my current Ridley scale, as it looks like his tail is worth 1/4 a Pikachu.

(Never thought I would say those words)

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Oh. Huh. Could've sworn that was his arm.

Anyhow, I'm not sure that would help. Judging by the angle of the tail, it appears to be jutting inward, causing distortion. Besides, this would double the size of my current Ridley scale, as it looks like his tail is worth 1/4 a Pikachu.

(Never thought I would say those words)
Congrats on being the first post of page 700

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So apparently even my own art teacher is a TooBigot. I have finally started to work on Brawl Ridley as an art project, and she says, "Let's get a bigger piece for this one." And naturally she gets a huge paper. Then I started sketching, and the whole time she kept encouraging me to make him bigger. :joyful:

Morbi

Scavenger
So apparently even my own art teacher is a TooBigot. I have finally started to work on Brawl Ridley as an art project, and she says, "Let's get a bigger piece for this one." And naturally she gets a huge paper. Then I started sketching, and the whole time she kept encouraging me to make him bigger. :joyful:
What a casual. It is fine if you just make it a little more slow.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Which, again, wouldn't make sense considering he's been teased for a whole 9 months or so. Unless Sakurai's team is really incompetent, something I find unlikely
We don't really have any idea where and when some of these things happen to be in the development process. Why not show us the whole scene, why screw around and beat around the bush? My guess is that he's either trying to troll, or this is an aspect of the game that's not complete to satisfaction. As I've said a million times, it's easy to be like 'Oh, well, there's something more to this, there's something here!' because all we've done the past three hundred pages or so is speculate on shadows, and models, and sizes, and details. The average consumer doesn't go to the same lengths we do to try to justify the character's existence as playable. I think it's simpler than people are making it out to be.

C) Sakurai is controlling Ridley while coworker is controlling Pikachu and this **** is staged. Thats what I think.
Regardless, everything that Sakurai does for marketing is staged, so you're just pointing out the obvious. :bubblebobble:

Morbi

Scavenger
We don't really have any idea where and when some of these things happen to be in the development process. Why not show us the whole scene, why screw around and beat around the bush? My guess is that he's either trying to troll, or this is an aspect of the game that's not complete to satisfaction. As I've said a million times, it's easy to be like 'Oh, well, there's something more to this, there's something here!' because all we've done the past three hundred pages or so is speculate on shadows, and models, and sizes, and details. The average consumer doesn't go to the same lengths we do to try to justify the character's existence as playable. I think it's simpler than people are making it out to be.

Regardless, everything that Sakurai does for marketing is staged, so you're just pointing out the obvious. :bubblebobble:
It is very simple, you are correct: Sakurai is ambiguous, he tricks everyone that only values the surface of his message, he reveals Ridley at e3 as a surprise addition.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It is very simple, you are correct: Sakurai is ambiguous, he tricks everyone that only values the surface of his message, he reveals Ridley at e3 as a surprise addition.
That actually reminds me of the time when SEGA dismissed the possibility of Sonic being in Brawl, saying that his inclusion "wasn't in the cards".

And then he was revealed two weeks later.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I personally think the unfinished theory is worthless. We've seen time and time again in PotDs that Sakurai clearly isn't shy to show us some unfinished aspects; in fact he said so himself that images shown are all work in progress and that changes over the developmental period are eminent. So the whole argument that Ridley just simply wasn't ready for a reveal doesn't make any sense, especially given how far along the game is anyway.

Morbi

Scavenger
I personally think the unfinished theory is worthless. We've seen time and time again in PotDs that Sakurai clearly isn't shy to show us some unfinished aspects; in fact he said so himself that images shown are all work in progress and that changes over the developmental period are eminent. So the whole argument that Ridley just simply wasn't ready for a reveal doesn't make any sense, especially given how far along the game is anyway.
I am fairly certain that newcomers are an exception to the rule.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

August 20th 2013 we got a pretty finished looking picture of Pyrosphere so Ridley was differently being worked on before we even got that pic of the day.

There is just no way he wouldn't be done by now....Not only do I think if Ridley was a stage hazard he would be done a long time ago....I think he was finished in 2013.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
He wasn't afraid to show off Yellow Devil early on after SSB4's reveal, even though this picture seems to imply that it was still incomplete.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I strongly believe a certain character is a boss on Pyrosphere.

But it's obviously not Ridley. Otherwise I'd have no reason to post here as I don't like to piss people off.

It's one of the various ones that resides or is associated with the magma. Why? Well, many reasons. This may take some explaining.

Firstly, the Direct. Why would Pyrosphere be shown if there is no Boss character on the stage? That is false advertising, in my opinion. I think there will be one.
But if it isn't the shadow character shown in the Direct, then who is it? Likely one of these guys.
Vorash. Goyagma.

Why? Both of them are associated with lava. They fight from it, and they are introduced rising from it.

Lava is seen on the Pyrosphere stage in multiple instances. However, in the Final Destination version of the stage, it is mysteriously gone. They would obviously not both removing the lava if it was just a background element.
Therefore, I think the lava plays a part in the stage. This makes sense, as all previous Metroid stages in Smash Bros. have had a similar hazard.
I assume the reason it would need to be removed is because it removes the lower blast line by rising up to the stage's level.
However, one thing to consider, assuming this, is that it allows more possibilities regarding the lava itself.

Back to Ridley. He is fought in the Geothermal Power Plant in the Pyrosphere. That is the same place depicted in the Smash Bros stage. So logically it would Ridley who is fought on the stage.

However, the stage is still called just Pyrosphere. Why not Geothermal Power Plant? Because the Power Plant is a good battlefield; it wasn't chosen for Ridley. It's also somewhat iconic. The greater location name was chosen because the stage represents something more than the Power Plant: Lava. Lots and lots of lava. Enemies living in lava.

Having a boss that resides in the lava not only makes perfect sense, but it keeps the tradition of lava stages from Metroid, and makes it fresh by adding a new promoted concept in the boss character.

I think Vorash is a boss on Pyrosphere.

Ridley is playable.

edit: I didn't address that Ridley was strongly hinted to be a hazard. Though, obviously, you can infer from my stance on the matter that I think it is a game Sakurai is playing with us.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
He wasn't afraid to show off Yellow Devil early on after SSB4's reveal, even though this picture seems to imply that it was still incomplete.

August 20th 2013 we got a pretty finished looking picture of Pyrosphere so Ridley was differently being worked on before we even got that pic of the day.

There is just no way he wouldn't be done by now....Not only do I think if Ridley was a stage hazard he would be done a long time ago....I think he was finished in 2013.

Then can we assume by this triple justification that Ridley is, in fact, not playable? And that the reveal was, in spite of its ambiguity, a direct deconfirmation of the character's participation in this Smash Brothers? 'cause that's what I'm gathering from these three posts here. I'd think you'd all rather be embracing the idea that Ridley's incomplete nature is what prevents a direct deconfirmation than simply say 'Well, Sakurai's clearly not worried about showing off incomplete/imperfect stuff.' when that's all that's being indicated in Ridley's case.

Not to mention, who knows how far back the footage was recorded for that Direct? It was probably months.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I strongly believe a certain character is a boss on Pyrosphere.

But it's obviously not Ridley. Otherwise I'd have no reason to post here as I don't like to piss people off.

It's one of the various ones that resides or is associated with the magma. Why? Well, many reasons. This may take some explaining.

Firstly, the Direct. Why would Pyrosphere be shown if there is no Boss character on the stage? That is false advertising, in my opinion. I think there will be one.
But if it isn't the shadow character shown in the Direct, then who is it? Likely one of these guys.
Vorash. Goyagma.

Why? Both of them are associated with lava. They fight from it, and they are introduced rising from it.

Lava is seen on the Pyrosphere stage in multiple instances. However, in the Final Destination version of the stage, it is mysteriously gone. They would obviously not both removing the lava if it was just a background element.
Therefore, I think the lava plays a part in the stage. This makes sense, as all previous Metroid stages in Smash Bros. have had a similar hazard.
I assume the reason it would need to be removed is because it removes the lower blast line by rising up to the stage's level.
However, one thing to consider, assuming this, is that it allows more possibilities regarding the lava itself.

Back to Ridley. He is fought in the Geothermal Power Plant in the Pyrosphere. That is the same place depicted in the Smash Bros stage. So logically it would Ridley who is fought on the stage.

However, the stage is still called just Pyrosphere. Why not Geothermal Power Plant? Because the Power Plant is a good battlefield; it wasn't chosen for Ridley. It's also somewhat iconic. The greater location name was chosen because the stage represents something more than the Power Plant: Lava. Lots and lots of lava. Enemies living in lava.

Having a boss that resides in the lava not only makes perfect sense, but it keeps the tradition of lava stages from Metroid, and makes it fresh by adding a new promoted concept in the boss character.

I think Vorash is a boss on Pyrosphere.

Ridley is playable.
Yeah, in my opinion, the only other bosses possible are the Vorash and Nightmare.

Though we haven't seen a 3DS stage yet, so a Fusion stage may yet await us.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Yeah, in my opinion, the only other bosses possible are the Vorash and Nightmare.

I'd really love to see a Fusion stage. I know a lot of people didn't like Fusion, but I'd love to see Fusion get some love for once.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

That was very early in development, and he was among the first things we've seen from the game.

We only learnt about Ridley's existence in the game almost a year after the game was announced.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Um...Guys?

"Ridley is too small" might be a reality.

I measured his tail shadow... and it is skinny enough to fit FOURTEEN inside Pikachu.

pikachuley copy.png

I don't know what this means for Ridley, but I'll try scaling based on Angelglory's model.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Ridley gets confirmed, what happens to this thread? Does it becomes the general discussion thread or it is locked?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

If I was told early on that bosses will now appear on stages, then I would've rallied for Nightmare's inclusion as the Metroid boss.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Then can we assume by this triple justification that Ridley is, in fact, not playable? And that the reveal was, in spite of its ambiguity, a direct deconfirmation of the character's participation in this Smash Brothers? 'cause that's what I'm gathering from these three posts here. I'd think you'd all rather be embracing the idea that Ridley's incomplete nature is what prevents a direct deconfirmation than simply say 'Well, Sakurai's clearly not worried about showing off incomplete/imperfect stuff.' when that's all that's being indicated in Ridley's case.

Not to mention, who knows how far back the footage was recorded for that Direct? It was probably months.
No? The idea is that if Ridley is unfinished then more then likely it pertains to the hazard outcome because otherwise it wouldn't make sense to bother showing Ridley whatsoever before he was presentable. After all, with months of teasing, why have the moment when he finally arrives be unfulfilling?

Not believing the unfinished theory suggests that there is more going on then at first glace (aka hazard role) and as such there is a hidden agenda as to why Ridley remains ambiguois.

Morbi

Scavenger
When Ridley gets announced, do you guys think the support thread will jump to 1,000 in no time flat?
Yes; but of course. Everyone will come to apologize, or claim that they knew this would happen the entire time. Other than that, there will be people rejoicing and people hating in the background. I mean, seriously, once he is actually announced, there will be about a page or two filled with two/three word posts such as:

RIDLEY!
Ridley confirmed!
Yes, Ridley!
Ridley is here!
I told everyone!
Ridley?
Ugh, not Ridley!
Ridley? Who is RIdley?
Ridley is the best!
Sakurai, you troll!
Sakurai LIED TO ME!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pretty sure the Greninja support thread became the General Discussion thread, as will this one.

It'll be damn huge discussion.
There was a Greninja support thread? I didn't know that, I never thought there was support threads for the starters(since most people I knew always thought it was unlikely a solo-starter)

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Um...Guys?

"Ridley is too small" might be a reality.

I measured his tail shadow... and it is skinny enough to fit FOURTEEN inside Pikachu.

View attachment 14562
I don't know what this means for Ridley, but I'll try scaling based on Angelglory's model.
Due to how elevated Ridley is, and assuming the shadow is somewhat slanted, I don't think he'd be THAT frigging small.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
There was a Greninja support thread? I didn't know that, I never thought there was support threads for the starters(since most people I knew always thought it was unlikely a solo-starter)
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a moblin support thread at this point.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Yeah, there was one. People told him no way in hell it was happening unless there was going to be a Kalos Trio...

Guess who got the last laugh?

D

Deleted member

When Ridley gets announced, do you guys think the support thread will jump to 1,000 in no time flat?
The site will likely crash from too much traffic first. I think there could be an easy 20-30 page jump, but not 300.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
No? The idea is that if Ridley is unfinished then more then likely it pertains to the hazard outcome because otherwise it wouldn't make sense to bother showing Ridley whatsoever before he was presentable. After all, with months of teasing, why have the moment when he finally arrives be unfulfilling?

Not believing the unfinished theory suggests that there is more going on then at first glace (aka hazard role) and as such there is a hidden agenda as to why Ridley remains ambiguois.
Well, as I said before, there's only two reasons that Sakurai wouldn't directly deconfirm Ridley as he's done with tons of other characters: the character/hazard isn't ready to be shown, or he's being a troll. Having Ridley unfinished in the Direct isn't a huge deal, 'cause they'd have likely had him done by now in either case. What we were shown there was more than likely a mix of both: whatever Ridley's status, playable or hazard, it was unfinished but in a state they could feasibly use it to troll us. 'cause, honestly, I don't FEEL like it's a deconfirmation, but the evidence we have right now isn't what I really consider conclusive and, in fact, feels more indicative of a non-playable Ridley.

Anyway, I know the evidence we have has convinced a lot of people here, and I don't mean to undermine the great lengths people have gone to try to prove there's more to it than is being presented to us, but I prefer to hope for the best but expect the worst, and developers like to keep things simple. Sometimes, if it looks like a dog, it barks like a dog and the sign says it's a dog, then it's a dog, y'know? A big ol' trollface dog that sounds like Sakurai, but still a dog nonetheless.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
On the day of the Direct, the Ridley support thread had something like 100 users (guests included) watching the thread after Ridley's "disconfirmation". If he is revealed to be playable at E3, we'll probably have 200 users watching us.

Top Bottom