• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Morbi

Scavenger
I find Sakurai's ambiguity odd, but by no means proof of Ridley's playability. I can see him purposely not revealing Ridley to hype up his playability...

just as much as I can foresee Sakurai trying to hype Boss Ridley.
Hype Boss Ridley up by blatantly confirming him via shadow only to be shown later? I don't believe that is how one would influence hype; but again, I am not Sakurai and I am not incompetent. So who knows what he is planning. He does seem to think that people are excited by re-reveals and re-confirmations.

Last edited:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
I find Sakurai's ambiguity odd, but by no means proof of Ridley's playability. I can see him purposely not revealing Ridley to hype up his playability...

just as much as I can foresee Sakurai trying to hype Boss Ridley.
Same here. It's just odd that Sakurai has waited this long to make an official reveal of his role. Seriously, in what way would he possibly intend to surprise us with a boss Ridley during E3 (assuming it's E3 where Rid's fate is revealed)?

Oh, and Sakurai must be munching popcorn while reading this thread in his spare time. Either that or I'm crazy.:psycho:

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Take one shadow of Ridley's tail...

Copy/Paste it into Pikachu as much as possible...

Create a barrel of tails proportional to Ridley.View attachment 14579
Huh, why would his tail be so thin... oh!

WAIT! I GOT IT! I THINK I GOT IT!

I THINK HE STUCK HIS TAIL INTO THE GROUND! AND THUS HIS TAIL IS STRETCHING!

YEAH! AND HIS WEIRD FLYING ANIMATION IS BECAUSE HE'S TRYING TO YANK IT OFF THE GROUND!

MIND = BLOWN

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Same here. It's just odd that Sakurai has waited this long to make an official reveal of his role. Seriously, in what way would he possibly intend to surprise us with a boss Ridley during E3 (assuming it's E3 where Rid's fate is revealed)?

Oh, and Sakurai must be munching popcorn while reading this thread in his spare time. Either that or I'm crazy.:psycho:
The hypothetical answer: He couldn't. He has already shown us "boss" Ridley, therefore he doesn't intend to surprise anyone.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The hypothetical answer: He couldn't. He has already shown us "boss" Ridley, therefore he doesn't intend to surprise anyone.
Exactly. It's entirely possible that Sakurai assumes we have come to the conclusion that Ridley is a boss as opposed to what we're discussing now.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Exactly. It's entirely possible that Sakurai assumes we have come to the conclusion that Ridley is a boss as opposed to what we're discussing now.
Why show Ridley's shadow at all? Why not save the surprise?

I'm still calling this an illusion that many people are falling for. This is what Sakurai wants.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I don't think Sakurai takes fan speculation into account at all, much less further integers (foreign fanbases, online forums, etc.). To this day I still doubt he even realized how much the "Up Until Now" Lucas/Ness comment tore speculation apart. Or just how upset people were at the exclusion of Mewtwo in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

I'm tellin' y'all the surprise will be that Meta Ridley will be playable instead.

In Meta We Trust!

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Why show Ridley's shadow at all? Why not save the surprise?

I'm still calling this an illusion that many people are falling for. This is what Sakurai wants.
Does that make it a... Sakuraillusion?!?
...Sorry. I have committed the grave sin of bad punism once again...

I'm tellin' y'all the surprise will be that Meta Ridley will be playable instead.

In Meta We Trust!
You mean like the... Meta-game? Do-ho!

...and again...

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Its actually Ridley's tail hanging behind what some think is Pikachu's body. It just shows how stretched out the shadow is.

Look at Charizard's shadow then look at Greninja's. Greninja's is really stretched while Charizards really isn't.

I believe the higher the clearer the shadow and lower more stretched/distorted. So Ridley's bottom half (Mostly tail) is fooling people into thinking its Pikachu's tail. Im also aware this is the FD version but I think the shadows work the same on both Pyroshere's.

I hate to be that guy, but I have to point out that there's a pretty big size difference between both Pyrospheres. See, this is the Final Destination version of Pyrosphere. There are three squares present in the front of the stage.

and this is the regular version of Pyrosphere. See the difference? There are now five squares.

If we're going to analyze Ridley's shadow, we shouldn't use the Final Destination version for reference.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Just replying since everyone ignored it...

Huh, why would his tail be so thin... oh!

WAIT! I GOT IT! I THINK I GOT IT!

I THINK HE STUCK HIS TAIL INTO THE GROUND! AND THUS HIS TAIL IS STRETCHING!

YEAH! AND HIS WEIRD FLYING ANIMATION IS BECAUSE HE'S TRYING TO YANK IT OFF THE GROUND!

MIND = BLOWN

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
...Wouldn't that be the kind of thing a boss would do?

Also, we still see the end of the tail while he's hovering in place, so I don't think he's got it stuck in the ground.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
...Wouldn't that be the kind of thing a boss would do?
It may be, but it could also be special attack, where he does that tail stab attack from Other M. It's deadly powerful, but if you miss, your tail gets stuck on the ground and you have to press the button repeatedly to yank it off. If that's the case, this Ridley is just waiting for it to be pulled off naturally.

I mean, it'd otherwise be stupid for a boss to have move where he sticks his tail on the ground to be helpless against enemy fire.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I hate to be that guy, but I have to point out that there's a pretty big size difference between both Pyrospheres. See, this is the Final Destination version of Pyrosphere. There are three squares present in the front of the stage.

and this is the regular version of Pyrosphere. See the difference? There are now five squares.

If we're going to analyze Ridley's shadow, we shouldn't use the Final Destination version for reference.
The stage as a whole isn't smaller.

See the part with the red lines? They chopped that off then just moved the background stuff closer so we can do size comparison stuff with normal and FD Pyrosphere.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't see why the thickness of his tail in the shadow matters. It's the thinnest part of his body as it is.

Shadows can't really produce a solid answer because of the nature of them depending on the source of light. Therefore, I would advise that you guys wait until we receive more information at a later date instead of spending so much time on something that isn't telling us anything.
I'Unno about you, but I learned something from analyzing the shadow.

I learned that Ridley is definitely a lot smaller than his appearance in Other M. If we assume this blob is Pikachu, and that this stripe is Ridley's tail (As these are in the same area, distortion of proportions would be minimal):
pikachuley.png

And we take Pikachu's proportions to Samus's arm cannon into effect (About 2:1):

And notice that Other M Ridley's tail is as thick, if not thicker, than Samus's arm cannon:

We can therefore conclude that Ridley is smaller than we thought.

I also learned I should compare Ridley's tail shadow with Pikachu's shadow. Silly me.

Actually, it's been that skinny when he's been flying. It only seems to become thicker the shorter it is.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
False alarm everyone. I have a much better Pikachu shot to compare tail thicknesses.
pikachuleyfix.png

Now we have a much more reasonable 6 tails. Be right back with the resizing.

D

Deleted member

Either way, Ridley does that for way to long in my opinion. Plus, bosses in Smash don't do that unless they do some big, powerful attack, and even then the cooldown time is significantly shorter.
What if Ridley is rarely in a position he could be attacked?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alright, I have a reasonable range of sizes for Pikachu. For Roidley tail enthusiasts, I have put Pikachu in the cutest little dresses.

size compare true copy.png

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I really don't think Ridley's tail got stuck in the ground, because it was always swinging freely. Like it sort of loops in FRONT of Ridley when he stops, but that's about it. Maybe a Dash attack?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What if Ridley is rarely in a position he could be attacked?
Wouldn't this somewhat defeat the purpose of a "Stage Boss"? I imagine Sakurai would want to keep Stage Boss mechanics the same across all Bosses; in other words, I don't feel like this would be the case since I imagine Sakurai would rather have the defeat of each Stage Boss reward a player or affect the battle in some way in order to add to the chaos that is a casual match (Items/Hazards on) in Smash Bros.

If Ridley was in a place where he could rarely be attacked, I see a problem arising from the fact that he could become too much of a nuisance as a Stage Boss with not enough opportunities for the players to attack him and rid him from the field of play. I say again that I imagine Sakurai would rather implement Ridley as a Stage Boss in such a way that he can be attacked at least some of the time so as to be defeated such that Ridley wouldn't become too much of a constant invulnerable nuisance, like what Sakurai did with Yellow Devil (To elucidate, I mean Sakurai made it so Yellow Devil was NOT too invulnerable as a Stage Boss)

(Also, I apologize for possibly sounding combative)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
This. I strongly believe you guys are looking too deep into the whole shadows argument. It doesn't prove anything right now, and it shouldn't be treated like a tangible argument at this point in time.

While the shadows have posed an interesting topic of conversation, it does not directly mean anything. The only thing I have to say in regards to shadows is that they do not reflect the actual size of someone or something. Depending on the angle of the light, the shadow can change size.

For example, if I stand outside and the sun shines at a particular height, it can either make my shadow longer or shorter, if we're talking in terms of shadows. So with this in mind, and the fact that the shadows are probably generated by some sort of physics engine, it shouldn't be taken as anything concrete.

EDIT: You guys probably won't like me saying this, but the only concrete information on Ridley we have right now, is that he was shown in a clip that had a subtitle hinting at other bosses. This clip was after Yellow Devil was shown on Wily's Castle.

You can take that for what you want, but that is literally the only legitimate information we will have until E3. Unless something concerning Ridley gets revealed via POTD.
I'm sorry, but this is wrong.

If this was the first time we had seen the Pyrosphere and the shadows on it, then yes, we could say that the shadows could be skewed sizewise. But Pyrosphere has been shown almost as much, if not more than Battlefield, and we have multiple instances of gameplay where we see the shadows grow and shrink. Because of this, shadow comparisons are accurate, at least to an extent, as the comparison of shadows is a direct relation to the size of the characters, in the gameplay of Pyrosphere we can see that the shadows barely change size based on height. And even then several of the shadow comparisons are also in the air. Even if the margin of error is off, Ridley has been extremely downsized, this is a fact.

Is it overanalyzing? Of course it is, we've spent over a month on 13 seconds of footage. But it isn't irrelevant either.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't this somewhat defeat the purpose of a "Stage Boss"? I imagine Sakurai would want to keep Stage Boss mechanics the same across all Bosses; in other words, I don't feel like this would be the case since I imagine Sakurai would rather have the defeat of each Stage Boss reward a player or affect the battle in some way in order to add to the chaos that is a casual match (Items/Hazards on) in Smash Bros.

If Ridley was in a place where he could rarely be attacked, I see a problem arising from the fact that he could become too much of a nuisance as a Stage Boss with not enough opportunities for the players to attack him and rid him from the field of play. I say again that I imagine Sakurai would rather implement Ridley as a Stage Boss in such a way that he can be attacked at least some of the time so as to be defeated such that Ridley wouldn't become too much of a constant invulnerable nuisance, like what Sakurai did with Yellow Devil (To elucidate, I mean Sakurai made it so Yellow Devil was NOT too invulnerable as a Stage Boss)

(Also, I apologize for possibly sounding combative)
That's an awful lot of assuming what a guy who you never met is thinking.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Still talking about the shadow? This topic surely won't die.
It'll likely quiet down soon, I've managed to pinpoint Ridley's size by comparing the thickness of his tail shadow with Pikachu's shadow.
Now all I need to do is convince everyone that Ridley grabbed Pikachu...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
True, the shadow can change size, but I doubt it can get smaller.

And I really don't see how any trick of light can make his tail SKINNIER.
In that picture.

Ok this may sound crazy but i think that could be something else next to ridleys right arm/hand.

(Could that be his head.) (its in the triangle by the red bar.)

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
I can agree to an extent. I think it all depends on how much range Ridley has at his disposal. I do think that characters who have good projectile attacks would prove a problem to Ridley.

Remember how Ridley can cast a "Protective Aura" from Other M?
This could be his DOWN SPECIAL: Aura Surge
Ridley presses both of his hands to the ground and concentrates to generate a protective aura.

Hold down special for longer aura duration. At full power, the aura can last up to 10 seconds.

While the aura is in-effect, Ridley's attacks get stronger and faster and ALL PROJECTILES (even thrown items) are reflected

The move can even be used as a quick Projectile counter, similar to Fox's Down Special

Basically, Ridley's Aura Surge could be a combination of these:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm not sure what would be more painful, watching these 7 Godzilla DVDs I bought or reading through all the pages I missed.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm not sure what would be more painful, watching these 7 Godzilla DVDs I bought or reading through all the pages I missed.
Why not do both at the same time?

Combined it'd be super duper painful!

Last edited:
Top Bottom