• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
What is with all of the detractors with really bad excuses today. This thread grew at LEAST six pages while I wasn't looking today alone.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
...You are aware that there is a stage from Other M in the game, right?

I mean, I'd assume this is impossible to forget, but you didn't mention it, and it's kind of significant.

And, again, Metroid Other M is still a fairly recent game that could still be pushed, and, again, Ridley's effect on Smash sales alone could justify his inclusion from a business standpoint.

Now, out of curiosity, do you still believe Ridley is impossible at this point?
I never said he was impossible but that I thought he would not be in the game, but yeah I'm still standing by that.

domokl

Smash Lord
I dunno man its like they had a meeting on what day to attack the ridley thread. But WE WON

majora_787

Smash Hero
On this day, the Ridley thread received a grim reminder... that people STILL think Ridley is somehow the exception to every video game character which exists.

domokl

Smash Lord
Its funny because I make an account expect to see a peaceful ridley thread at night but NOPE. Then I just jumped right in to the heated debate. We all know the day before e3 the detractors will come in full force so we best be ready for battle

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Gotta love how the Ridley thread is almost bigger then the character discussion thread.

No doubt Ridley is the most talked about character in the Smash community ever.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Well, while this entire night has been pointless, I had a few chuckles here and there so I'll give it a pass. Although I'm glad you're all still sensible...however, I'm tired, I have work to do for college, and I'm gone. G'night and...yay for a victory? I dunno, it doesn't feel as if anything was accomplished.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
sooooo, why Ridley and rosalina shiping is a thing? I dunno exactly why. but i feel like a compelling pair, to the point i would gladly use her as a teammate in doubles XD

but the only way i see it working is Rosalina being some kind of galactic empress ...

hehehe

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Call me crazy, but the sheer number of people that think Ridley should be playable implies that his resizing IS possible.

I can say on this thread with complete certainty that Kraid, Metroid Prime (NOT Dark Samus) and Mother Brain will never be playable characters due to their size, and nobody will bat an eye or refute my claims because they're not as notable or demanded as Ridley.

(I swear if ANY of these supporters pop up I will smack something)

domokl

Smash Lord
sooooo, why Ridley and rosalina shiping is a thing? I dunno exactly why. but i feel like a compelling pair, to the point i would gladly use her as a teammate in doubles XD

but the only way i see it working is Rosalina being some kind of galactic empress ...

hehehe
You have got to admit though that's a pretty awesome paring though. A galactic princess and a space dragon.

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess this battle is over.

I will go back to work on my thesis.

domokl

Smash Lord
I find it kind of mind boggling how many people changed opinons on dark samus after seeing the assist trophy. First they though she would be a pointless clone then after the direct they said how awesome she would be. That being said after ridley I say dark samus should be next in line

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
On this day, the Ridley thread received a grim reminder... that people STILL think Ridley is somehow the exception to every video game character which exists.
As Judgement Day approaches, the loyal and true are tested by all sides.

Something something Biblical references and Samurai is God.

domokl

Smash Lord
As Judgement Day approaches, the loyal and true are tested by all sides.

Something something Biblical references and Samurai is God.
True. As e3 gets closer the detractors will send more and more people here……after tonight though I don't doubt our abilty to keep fighting. GO RIDLEYYY.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Anyhow, that was a fun activity.

Now back to these shadow pics.
pikachuley.png

So...normal grab, or special grab?

Methinks its a special grab like these. Perhaps Ridley is inheriting Bowser's Koopa Klaw.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Assuming Ridley is a boss (Just roll with it for now), what do you think the big reward would be for defeating him first?

A ton of health pickups spawn over the victor?

A suicide bombing run on the other combatants?

A huge, friggin explosion?

A free car?
I apologize for not replying to this earlier, but I feel like we didn't need anymore people playing devil's advocate.

I actually think he'd pull his whole Other M escape routine, with him falling to the ground/playing dead, then suddenly getting up and attacking everyone but the player who defeated him before escaping through the infamous hole. This could even incorporate a command grab ending in his trademark wall-grind attack, followed by a pointblank fire breath attack.

Not saying I'd settle for/be happy for anything less than him being playable, but if he reprises his boss role, I expect it to be a hella good boss this time.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@ Angelglory Angelglory
@Oasis_S

I have a proposition for you two...

Remember that thread with all of the canon sizes?

Why not make one picture with all of the different Ridley sizes for each game he appeared in?

Partially because it could show how his size varies per game.

And partially because we feel like we have something to prove.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
@ Angelglory Angelglory
@Oasis_S

Why not make one picture with all of the different Ridley sizes for each game he appeared in?

Sounds like a good idea. Who should we use for basis of relative size, Samus?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sounds like a good idea. Who should we use for basis of relative size, Samus?
Yeah sure. Have Samus with her canon 6 something foot or whatever....

And the rest of the Ridleys their approximate height.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah sure. Have Samus with her canon 6 something foot or whatever....

And the rest of the Ridleys their approximate height.

Out of curiosity, is there 3D models of trophies online?

I mean, it's not necessary, but I'd like to see this model given bones and compared just for fun.

D

Deleted member

On the topic of the Ridley Shadow pictures, where exactly do we see Pikachu being grabbed by Ridley? Is it that part of Pikachu's ear is plausibly visible in the lower claw shadow of Ridley's in the second picture that @ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt posted? Also, going back to what I said a couple pages ago, does anyone else think that the backwards movement at the end of the Ridley Shadow clip could be a second jump backwards?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
On the topic of the Ridley Shadow pictures, where exactly do we see Pikachu being grabbed by Ridley? Is it that part of Pikachu's ear is plausibly visible in the lower claw shadow of Ridley's in the second picture that @ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt posted? Also, going back to what I said a couple pages ago, does anyone else think that the backwards movement at the end of the Ridley Shadow clip could be a second jump backwards?
One Pikachu, comin' right up.

As I've said before, the platforms of the Pyrosphere have been tucked out of sight to extend the illusion that Ridley can fly pretty much forever. He likely landed on the left platform offscreen, then jumped.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's really hard to say exactly what happens, but it definitely seems to be Ridley flying left, stopping, picking up Pikachu, not moving or doing anything to Pikachu, Pikachu escaping the grab, and Ridley moving left and then right again as it cuts out.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
@ Angelglory Angelglory
@Oasis_S

Heh I had thought about that while getting through all the debating.

If they do that, they also need to have every Samus from each related game as well, and make them all the same size to further emphasize just how different Ridley is throughout each game.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
In Dr. Wiley's Castle, didn't the platforms for the stage disappear when the Yellow Devil appeared? I was wondering about that, because it could have been the same scenario in that clip.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It's really hard to say exactly what happens, but it definitely seems to be Ridley flying left, stopping, picking up Pikachu, not moving or doing anything to Pikachu, Pikachu escaping the grab, and Ridley moving left and then right again as it cuts out.
Using this gfycat for reference:
http://gfycat.com/SentimentalBronzeIndianrhinoceros#

Frames 0-98: Flying animation
Frames 99-140ish: Ridley grabbing Pikachu animation
Frames 140ish-215: Idling flying grab animation
Frames 216-225: Pikachu escaping RIdley's grasp animation
Frames 226-261: Flying animation
The rest: Jumping right

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I believe the stages did indeed have moving platforms. But really, let's assume Twinrova and Dark Emperor are stage bosses and look at stage hazards going on.

1) Moving platforms
2) Nothing but the boss from what we can determine at the moment
3) The breakable bridge in the center

And then we have Pyrosphere, which is very likely to have a lava hazard which is significantly more invasive than a moving platform or a breakable bridge. Especially if it were to do strange things as it did in Norfair, or if it were actually a stage of the Pyrosphere and not the Geothermal Plant.

EDIT: Oh, yes. The behavior at the very least seems extremely unlike AI, let alone a boss, but we can't tell what is going on in regards to Ridley's flight or platforms or anything like that.

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I didn't read a damn thing that happened, but we were at 670-ish pages and now we're almost at 700...

I heard jokes were needed though, so...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I didn't read a damn thing that happened, but we were at 670-ish pages and now we're almost at 700...

I heard jokes were needed though, so...
@ Angelglory Angelglory
@Oasis_S

Would you be interested in this?

domokl

Smash Lord
Jeez the ridley supporter army is getting really big again. We are definetly doing something worthwhile. We have convinced a lot since the direct. This is really good:bee:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Jeez the ridley supporter army is getting really big again. We are definetly doing something worthwhile. We have convinced a lot since the direct. This is really good:bee:
It will either only get bigger, or be forced to take a detour into Mod Land.

Top Bottom