• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
So...they can't stay faithful to the games in where his size wasn't "that big of a deal?"

Melee intro Ridley seems to be an amalgamation of both the original Metroid size (barely bigger than Samus) and Super Metroid (a little under twice her size). Granted there is more games/sizes to take into account now, the same is also true for Bowser, who has only grown bigger and bigger in all canon/main series Mario games. Despite that there's still no issues whatsoever when he's resized for spin-offs.
Not when his size is one of the things that make Ridley Ridley, in pokemon size was never a big deal anywhere except the anime maybe.

*edit Not when his size now is what make Ridley Ridley

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
Hello everybody. I've been a lurker here for quite some time and as such has always been Ridley supporter. When the direct came around I started to lose hope. However after seeing the analysis on the shadow by many people here and the rational reasons on why ridley should be in I started supporting him again so he we are:b:.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The size argument is a moot point now. Sakurai has said multiple times that size doesn't matter and the argument has been destroyed time and time again. Whether people choose to listen or not isn't my problem.

However like Scoliosis said, the main thing standing in Ridley's way is that he was hinted as a stage boss.

But @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones I wouldn't act like Ridley being a boss is so blatantly obvious since you were a big supporter about two months ago.

@ CometX-ing CometX-ing , Ridley can still be big, just not humongous.
Super Metroid was a great size, about twice as tall as Samus. Make him 1 and 1/2 Samus's size and bam.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
It comes down to the fact that Ridley is...well, Ridley. He's the most iconic Metroid Villain, and arguably the most important. Sure, the stage in question has other bosses, but why pick those no-names over the tried and true Ridley?
[In a universe were Mario's only rep is Mario]
"Okay, what's a good second Mario rep... Bowser's iconic and a popular request, so well put him in!...as a stage hazard...and we'll taunt the people who want him by being ambiguous...besides, let's use Paper Mario as the rep!" [Paper Mario used instead of Dr.Mario because Dr.Mario was a clone, ZSS is not. But PM and ZSS are both the same character as in this hypothetical universe, the one rep of a deserving series.]

D

Deleted member

All I really have to say to the Ridley from the smash intro is that he was that way because that was the older Ridley and at the time Ridley's size was not that big of a deal most for them because it was just an into, but a playable character I would assume they would want to stay as faithful as possible.
While this is a valid thought, what needs to be brought into consideration here is the fact that perhaps the game directors don't want to "stay as faithful as possible". A good example of this would be Olimar, who in his games, would normally be small enough to fit in one's hand; however, in SSBB, Sakurai and his team made him a little shorter than Mario's height. While Mario, of course, is shorter than the average male human (this size which could be represented say by Link), he is by no means microscopic. The fact that Sakurai and his team decided not only to enlarge Olimar, but make him close to Mario's size (approximately 3-5 ft in height) shows they are willing to change characters a large amount so that they can fit in the game.

Of course, Ridley is a different problem altogether in the sense that he is not being enlarged, but rather downsized, and a character his size could indeed be "tough" to make smaller due to the way his model is (Lanky, but large). However, this goes back to the fact that Sakurai and his team might not want to "stay as faithful as possible." We know of course, that in the past, Sakurai has commented on Ridley saying that it would be "difficult" or "impossible", but as is the case with The Villager, it is certainly plausible that he may reverse his stand on these subjects (as he originally didn't think an AC representative would work within the Smash Universe).

Now, back on the subject of staying faithful to a character's origins; I've already mentioned the Olimar example, but I would like to make a point on what you said regarding Ridley's size in Melee's intro (wherein he was maybe 1/2 - 1 ft taller than Samus). As you mentioned, Ridley is noticeably smaller than his size in the Metroid games during this intro, however, you say that size wasn't an issue because it was just an intro. But, if a character such as Ridley can be downsized to that point in the intro, what would be the problem with having Ridley in the game at that size or maybe a little smaller? What I'm trying to say is, if there is no problem with having him smaller in the intro, why is there a problem with having him smaller as playable in the actual game? (I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking your opinions here, by the way). Yes, this would technically not be with respect to Ridley's origins in terms of his original size, but again, is it really that big of an issue?, other characters have been resized, and while certainly their situations are different from Ridley's, I still don't see why a resize of Ridley is still considered impossible by some because a good number of these characters in the game (such as Olimar) can only exist well in the game if they are resized to a point that is different from their original size. Since, other characters have already been resized so that they can work in game, I ask the question one more time, Why not Ridley?

PS: Sorry for long post and if I seem like I'm rambling, I express my thoughts best in streams of consciousness writings like what is above. Thank you for taking the time to read this absurdly long post on Ridley.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That's kind of like saying "Why have just ANY Legendary pokemon come out of the Master Ball and not the most famous one of all?" ...I swear to Arceus people, DO NOT GET THAT MINDSET.

That and I would've preferred Kraid as a boss...would've made no sense, but what the hell does in the Smash Bros world?
It's a lot less broad than that though. We're talking one boss on one Metroid stage. It makes complete sense to have Ridley as the boss when looking at it as what Ridley is. Just like Yellow Devil is an iconic Mega Man Boss, Ridley is easily the most recognizable boss from Metroid. That said, when you're creating a brand new thing involving large boss characters, and include a Metroid stage that might have one, who makes the most sense? Ridley does.

@ IsmaR IsmaR I know it's not necessarily the topic at hand, but this thought recently crossed my mind. It makes sense to me to have him be a boss based on what he essentially is. But that doesn't mean he never deserved to be playable or anything.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Not when his size is one of the things that make Ridley Ridley, in pokemon size was never a big deal anywhere except the anime maybe.
And now we come to this argument, the "Ridley is Ridley because of his size" argument.

Out of curiosity, is Ridley's size any more important to him than Ganondorf's size is to him? I mean, the way I see it, both are portrayed as villainous beings who are designed to tower over the protagonist, yet neither of them are really noticed for being large within the context of the games. So, if Ganondorf can be shrunk down, why can't Ridley?

Also, @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones Now, I'll admit, I am not familiar with the Mega Man series at all. But, from my very limited knowledge of the Mega Man series, wouldn't Dr. Wily be more suited for such a boss role? I mean, he is the main antagonist of the series, and it is his castle that the stage is based on. Is there a reason Dr. Wily isn't a boss there?

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Prove it.

It's a lot less broad then that though. We're talking one boss on one Metroid stage. It makes complete sense to have Ridley as the boss when looking at it as what Ridley is. Just like Yellow Devil is an iconic Mega Man Boss, Ridley is easily the most recognizable boss from Metroid. That said, when you're creating a brand new thing involving large boss characters, and include a Metroid stage that might have one, who makes the most sense? Ridley does.
I don't understand how he can't be both playable and a boss from that consensus, considering that's what I aim for seeing. Not to mention that if he's really a boss...why would you hide him for so long, not even including him the nearly 400 photos released after the Direct of basically everything new?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The size argument is a moot point now. Sakurai has said multiple times that size doesn't matter and the argument has been destroyed time and time again. Whether people choose to listen or not isn't my problem.

However like Scoliosis said, the main thing standing in Ridley's way is that he was hinted as a stage boss.

But @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones I wouldn't act like Ridley being a boss is so blatantly obvious since you were a big supporter about two months ago.

@ CometX-ing CometX-ing , Ridley can still be big, just not humongous.
Super Metroid was a great size, about twice as tall as Samus. Make him 1 and 1/2 Samus's size and bam.
Just because I'm arguing against his inclusion doesn't mean I don't want him. Opinions change with things that are shown to us. Based on the Direct, I believe he isn't playable, and the more I think about these things in Smash, the more it makes sense to me that he's a boss. It has nothing to do with me being a supporter previously.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Size was never one of the things that made Ridley Ridley, in fact Ridley is small, compared to a lot of other Metroid's bosses.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It comes down to the fact that Ridley is...well, Ridley. He's the most iconic Metroid Villain, and arguably the most important. Sure, the stage in question has other bosses, but why pick those no-names over the tried and true Ridley?
Because such an iconic Metroid villain deserves more then a simple boss/hazard status.

Seriously, most of the main franchises have their main antagonist with Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede, and hopefully K. Rool and Mewtwo, so why can't the Metroid series have its greatest baddie in the ranks?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just because I'm arguing against his inclusion doesn't mean I don't want him. Opinions change with things that are shown to us. Based on the Direct, I believe he isn't playable, and the more I think about these things in Smash, the more it makes sense to me that he's a boss. It has nothing to do with me being a supporter previously.
I really meant that you had said that Ridley should be a boss and it fits his overall personality better.
Although I didn't realize that this is a new opinion of yours, because in that case I apologize.

Ridley makes sense as a boss, honestly, but he makes sense as a playable character too.
I wish someone would lock this thread until E3 rolls along, in all honesty. :p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Because such an iconic Metroid villain deserves more then a simple boss/hazard status.

Seriously, most of the main franchises have their main antagonist with Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede, and hopefully K. Rool and Mewtwo, so why can't the Metroid series have its greatest baddie in the ranks?
I'm not arguing he doesn't deserve it, because I hands down agree he does. It's just that it still makes complete sense for him to be a boss if he isn't playable.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
No what I mean is that sword don't need that extra effect when being used because they are not know for there force more so their slicing, adding a bulge effect on a sword would not make much sense, while punching is know for the force you put behind it, at that larger objects plus the force put behind it would make it look more powerful. So they stretch and bulged their fist and feet to make it look like their is a lot of power in the punch or kick.
by that logic shouldnt ddd's hammer also be deformed to emphazise the punch behind it? (While its feet while kicking also grow). also, wolf claws slice and they also get bigger.

domokl

Smash Lord

Well really I think that could apply to others too. In pikmin the point of the the game is to collect big resources using tiny pikmin to help you due to olimars size. Olimar wouldnt be olimar if hewasn't small.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

Ridley's size is not what makes Ridley Ridley.

Being a sadistic, sociopathic, blood thirsty, horrible, monster that raids innocents and kills with no remorse while simultaneously managing to pull off the sophisticated space draon look(all the rage in space) is what makes Ridley Ridley.

I guess. Just seems like wasted potential. I mean, if not Ridley, then who? No one in the franchise is reoccurring enough to be taken seriously.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Yes, it was as wonderful as feeling your braincells committing suicide one by one...pleasant.
On behalf of the rest of us (both staff and thread regulars), I'm gonna ask that you keep comments like this out of this.

I understand the arguments get irksome on other places, much less on here, but don't drag that kind of behavior to this thread.

As others stated, size isn't "what makes Ridley Ridley." In fact of the original boss trio (Kraid, Ridley and Mother Brain), Ridley is the smallest. And often times is one of the smaller bosses/enemies you regularly fight (the only smaller enemies being Dark Samus (when she's not fusing with something), regular/base form Metroids (which only the bigger forms are bosses), and regular Space Pirates (whom Ridley is the leader/"biggest" of, not counting the Omega Pirate)). Furthermore the Pokemon tidbit is also moot considering they scale them both up and down (Mewtwo being smaller, Pikachu/Rayquaza being much bigger, etc.). And we're talking about Smash/the games, not the anime.

Scoliosis Jones said:
@ IsmaR IsmaR I know it's not necessarily the topic at hand, but this thought recently crossed my mind. It makes sense to me to have him be a boss based on what he essentially is. But that doesn't mean he never deserved to be playable or anything.
Fair enough. Although I will stress that like Bowser, he could very well be both. He doesn't need a Giga (or even Meta) form to be a boss, of course, but given that we got both his formes as bosses in Smash (which I feel proves that even if not playable, he deserved to be in Smash as more than just a background cameo), I feel like reprising the role isn't much as far as progress goes.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Prove it.

I don't understand how he can't be both playable and a boss from that consensus, considering that's what I aim for seeing. Not to mention that if he's really a boss...why would you hide him for so long, not even including him the nearly 400 photos released after the Direct of basically everything new?
He can be both a boss and playable. But there are some who believe the Ridley we saw in the Direct was playable and such, etc... But I'm simply saying that it makes sense for him to be a boss in this game considering the circumstances.

I can't answer why they would hide him for so long, but then again, we DID only learn about this boss thing at the Direct. We're likely going to learn more about it at E3. There will probably be others aside from Ridley and Yellow Devil as it is. We're going to have to wait and see.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well really I think that could apply to others too. In pikmin the point of the the game is to collect big resources using tiny pikmin to help you due to olimars size. Olimar wouldnt be olimar if hewasn't small.
inb4 DUHRR OLIMAR IS PROPORTUNIT AND THATS ALL THAT MATTURS
Even though, you know, his Pikmin were upscaled to be like 3/4 his height.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
GUYS

You're never going to believe it, because it NEVER happens, but I WAS WRONG.

I've been insisting for a while that Ridley didn't grab Pikachu and that it was a blob formed from his arms and legs. Turns out I was looking at the wrong frames.
pikachuley.png

Other things I've noticed: Ridley's head is long.

Feel free to laugh at me for taking this long to catch up to you guys.

On the plus side, this drastically improves Ridley's playability. I would expect a boss to start eating Pikachu instead of idling so much I thought Pikachu wasn't there at all. It's most likely a special grab attack like the Koopa Klaw or the Flame Choke.

Last edited:

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
While this is a valid thought, what needs to be brought into consideration here is the fact that perhaps the game directors don't want to "stay as faithful as possible". A good example of this would be Olimar, who in his games, would normally be small enough to fit in one's hand; however, in SSBB, Sakurai and his team made him a little shorter than Mario's height. While Mario, of course, is shorter than the average male human (this size which could be represented say by Link), he is by no means microscopic. The fact that Sakurai and his team decided not only to enlarge Olimar, but make him close to Mario's size (approximately 3-5 ft in height) shows they are willing to change characters a large amount so that they can fit in the game.

Of course, Ridley is a different problem altogether in the sense that he is not being enlarged, but rather downsized, and a character his size could indeed be "tough" to make smaller due to the way his model is (Lanky, but large). However, this goes back to the fact that Sakurai and his team might not want to "stay as faithful as possible." We know of course, that in the past, Sakurai has commented on Ridley saying that it would be "difficult" or "impossible", but as is the case with The Villager, it is certainly plausible that he may reverse his stand on these subjects (as he originally didn't think an AC representative would work within the Smash Universe).

Now, back on the subject of staying faithful to a character's origins; I've already mentioned the Olimar example, but I would like to make a point on what you said regarding Ridley's size in Melee's intro (wherein he was maybe 1/2 - 1 ft taller than Samus). As you mentioned, Ridley is noticeably smaller than his size in the Metroid games during this intro, however, you say that size wasn't an issue because it was just an intro. But, if a character such as Ridley can be downsized to that point in the intro, what would be the problem with having Ridley in the game at that size or maybe a little smaller? What I'm trying to say is, if there is no problem with having him smaller in the intro, why is there a problem with having him smaller as playable in the actual game? (I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking your opinions here, by the way). Yes, this would technically not be with respect to Ridley's origins in terms of his original size, but again, is it really that big of an issue?, other characters have been resized, and while certainly their situations are different from Ridley's, I still don't see why a resize of Ridley is still considered impossible by some because a good number of these characters in the game (such as Olimar) can only exist well in the game if they are resized to a point that is different from their original size. Since, other characters have already been resized so that they can work in game, I ask the question one more time, Why not Ridley?

PS: Sorry for long post and if I seem like I'm rambling, I express my thoughts best in streams of consciousness writings like what is above. Thank you for taking the time to read this absurdly long post on Ridley.
I get your point on Olimar but I am sure that that is purly for the sake of being playable, and much easeir to make fit in the game than Ridley. But the Villager argument is a matter of want versus possibility, and with AC popularity frankly I am not surprised Villager is in, especailly to promote AC more. And the with the intro being shown for a mere second and going to being full blown playable is a big step, being just a few second cameo no one was all that effected by Ridley's size but with a full blown character people I am sure would want them to make him look the correct size, or as correct as they can get.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Am I missing something?

If anything Ridley in the Melee opening looks a bit small. Size that model up a bit and it would look great.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
It's worth pointing out that, while Ridley is Metroid's most iconic and reoccurring villain, he's never been portrayed as the principal antagonist of any game the way Bowser and Ganon consistently are. Maybe this is why the Smash team are taking that approach with him. They don't see him as a Big Bad, just a frequently reappearing boss character.

Now, WE all know better, but it could explain a lot.

domokl

Smash Lord
I get your point on Olimar but I am sure that that is purly for the sake of being playable, and much easeir to make fit in the game than Ridley. But the Villager argument is a matter of want versus possibility, and with AC popularity frankly I am not surprised Villager is in, especailly to promote AC more. And the with the intro being shown for a mere second and going to being full blown playable is a big step, being just a few second cameo no one was all that effected by Ridley's size but with a full blown character people I am sure would want them to make him look the correct size, or as correct as they can get.
Wait so olimar can be resized purely for the sake of being playable but ridley can't?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
He can be both a boss and playable. But there are some who believe the Ridley we saw in the Direct was playable and such, etc... But I'm simply saying that it makes sense for him to be a boss in this game considering the circumstances.

I can't answer why they would hide him for so long, but then again, we DID only learn about this boss thing at the Direct. We're likely going to learn more about it at E3. There will probably be others aside from Ridley and Yellow Devil as it is. We're going to have to wait and see.
I wouldn't say we just learned about it, especially when we've speculated the Yellow Devil being a stage hazard from the very beginning. The only thing we got details on was how it actually works, but even then, if this was such a big thing for the new game...why was a character, that not only 7 months speculated but left behind by an utterly vague comment, not even fully shown when we've known for so long that he was connected to the stage in some way? Why not just give a screenshot of Ridley saying something like "You've entered in on Ridley's territory, and he's mad! Watch out for those attacks!" or some crap like that? Why not a single shot between the direct and now? Why was Ridley the only thing that was shown to be new NOT shown after the direct? Why has many opportunities been given to show him but never taken? It doesn't take a genius to know that Ridley's being saved on purpose...and sure he may be a boss...but this kind of build-up is usually for ALOT more than a simple stage boss.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Prove it.

For Ridley if he was not big and menacing this would not be a problem, and for pokemon if you can honestly tell me you flipped **** over pikachu being larger than he was in game, which the only reference we have is the info in his dex entry and not even a trainer to compare him to, then I will give you that then.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Now I feel like I'm just being ignored.

As stated multiple times at this point, there are other instances aside from just Olimar (like Pikachu and the other Pokemon) where size is completely out of whack compared to the series the characters originate from. As shown by some excellent comparisons made by some talented members here, Ridley can be resized into a workable size while still being larger than Samus, so the original game canon (which already is proven to not matter) is still kept intact. And Metroid is a very popular series, and has been around for quite some time, much longer than Animal Crossing, and is very deserving of receiving its villain as a playable character.

I apologize, but I still see no reason that Ridley can't be playable.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Ridley doesn't even have a canon size, his size varies from game to game. In Metroid prime 3 he even change size in the game, being omega Ridley smaller than Meta-Ridley.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For Ridley if he was not big and menacing this would not be a problem, and for pokemon if you can honestly tell me you flipped **** over pikachu being larger than he was in game, which the only reference we have is the info in his dex entry and not even a trainer to compare him to, then I will give you that then.
I did flip out a bit when :4charizard: was shown to be as small as he was.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I said that he can be easily re sized as well, not like Ridley.
Has Sakurai actually stated that Ridley would be difficult to resize? Unless he has, you can't state "Ridley is difficult to resize" as a fact.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

I wouldn't say we just learned about it, especially when we've speculated the Yellow Devil being a stage hazard from the very beginning. The only thing we got details on was how it actually works, but even then, if this was such a big thing for the new game...why was a character, that not only 7 months speculated but left behind by an utterly vague comment, not even fully shown when we've known for so long that he was connected to the stage in some way? Why not just give a screenshot of Ridley saying something like "You've entered in on Ridley's territory, and he's mad! Watch out for those attacks!" or some crap like that? Why not a single shot between the direct and now? Why was Ridley the only thing that was shown to be new NOT shown after the direct? Why has many opportunities been given to show him but never taken? It doesn't take a genius to know that Ridley's being saved on purpose...and sure he may be a boss...but this kind of build-up is usually for ALOT more than a simple stage boss.
Easy. Sakurai is thinking to himself, "People will be psyched to see that Ridley is a stage boss on Pyrosphere. I don't want to spill all the beans so I'll keep them guessing until next time!"

It's very simply the fact that he wants people to stay interested. Coincidentally, people ARE still interested in it, proving he would be right with this kind of mindset really.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Ridley's biggest character traits:

-Leader of the Space Pirates
-Killed Samus' parents
-Has the closest connection to the main character

Not one of Ridley's bios have ever described him as being "large" or "big", it's always "Leader of the Space Pirates and slayer of parents! Samus and Ridley are eternal rivals" that kind of schtick...so if that's the case, why is his size such a big part of his character. The other kind of info on him that's brought up was that he's very smart and how he slaughtered the space station full of scientists for the Baby Metroid in Super Metroid...that's it.

If no major source ever even mentions his size...why is his size so important? Oh right, it isn't.

Easy. Sakurai is thinking to himself, "People will be psyched to see that Ridley is a stage boss on Pyrosphere. I don't want to spill all the beans so I'll keep them guessing until next time!"

It's very simply the fact that he wants people to stay interested. Coincidentally, people ARE still interested in it, proving he would be right with this kind of mindset really.
I highly doubt that Sakurai would do that unless he had good reason to do so...and even then, if that's the case, why would he then go ahead and deconfirm everything right away to not let anyone get mistaken on the character's role. Sakurai doesn't get us hyped for nothing, he wants people to be really excited when something is shown...like many many months of a boxing ring without Little Mac.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Ridley is not that big. His 'bigness' is not a valid reason for him to be excluded. Size is completely meaningless in Smash. I can get his proportions being a tad weird, but Other Ridley fixes that, and Ridley mostly goes around crouching and hunched.

I said that he can be easily re sized as well, not like Ridley.
Quick question: Why not Ridley? Does he have some magical border like Switzerland that prevents him from being affected by outside forces? Do Government Labor laws prevent Ridley from taking it to the gym and burning off some size? His size in Prime 1 is pretty acceptable if you scale it down a tad and fold his wings some more.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
It's worth pointing out that, while Ridley is Metroid's most iconic and reoccurring villain, he's never been portrayed as the principal antagonist of any game the way Bowser and Ganon consistently are. Maybe this is why the Smash team are taking that approach with him. They don't see him as a Big Bad, just a frequently reappearing boss character.

Now, WE all know better, but it could explain a lot.
Nintendo seems to consider him the main villain.

http://youtu.be/ZY1220LQsX0?t=1m22s

Villains take over the Eshop thing happened awhile back. The main villans them showing off were Bowser, Ganondorf, Dr. Wily and Ridley.

Why not Mother Brain?

domokl

Smash Lord

Only problem with that is that with little macs reveal we know he cares about the western side of smash speculation and your trying to hype a stage hazard that was possibly the second most requested character of all. It dosent make sense.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Considering he was clearly aware of Little Mac's popularity in the West, and thus couldn't possibly have missed the fact that Ridley was right up there along with him in playable requests, then Sakurai really screwed up understanding fan expectations if that is what his mindset is really thinking about the situation.

Greninja'd

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I get your point on Olimar but I am sure that that is purly for the sake of being playable, and much easeir to make fit in the game than Ridley.
Whether or not resizing one character is easier to modify than others is up to the developers in question. Making Ridley appear on a feasible size should be no harder than doing the same with Olimar. Not that it was a hard feat to begin with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom