• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Detractors going back on their previous sentiment that Ridley would not be feasible are altering their perspectives to include the evidence that the Direct provided; however, that isn't REALLY the case, it is because "our master" decided to retract his statements? Correct me if I misinterpreted something. And before you say, "I said most," I am just going to just call it a hasty generalization fallacy.
Doesn't it make little to no sense that after a direct where Ridley was implied to be a boss that a good chunk of the major detractors actually went back on these statements when they overall semi-boost their claims? And no, the master part was connected directly between the two of them, it wasn't implied to go to anyone else, although alot of the louder detractors (I'm talking on youtube, where I normally operate) got rather quiet after it happened.

The big question for me is...what happened in between the Direct and now to just have this happen so soon? And alot of this has been happening within the last two weeks. I've even been on Miiverse and they've quieted down about Ridley as well...and that's the kind of community to be BOOMING with these responses. It's kind of creepy to be honest. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be more de

That pic of the day was referring to the scale of the Nintendogs to the characters in smash, not the characters themselves.
"The Smash Bros. series does not always stay true to scale"
It's refferring to the Smash games itself
Besides, what does Pit has to do with Ridley? HotFeet444 is right, your arguments are laughable :p

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
1-This is the same thing as the size argument, Sakurai killed it
2-They removed gliding from Pit to represent his Uprising version, are you telling me they removed Peach's hover too?
3-The size looks perfect, Sakurai would make it way better, besides, there are a lot of fan-made mods(no, not the one form Shokio's video) that makes him looks reasonable
4-What does this has to do with Ridley?
They removed Pits ability to fly for a long time and replaced it with a forward launch, Peach's ability to glide is ok because she only goes for a short time and can't move up and down. Also Ridley was shown to fly for a longer time than I have seen most other characters hover for, going as far as to be able to sit in mid are for a couple of second, something which I have not seen most character do. Also his movement felt fairly robotic and not like a players movement.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You guys need to be a little bit more open minded to people. Seriously.

You wonder why people criticize the Ridley fanbase, but I come in here and see some of you being flat out rude to people who aren't being rude in the first place. Chill out.

Morbi

Scavenger
Doesn't it make little to no sense that a direct where Ridley was implied to be a boss that a good chunk of the major detractors actually went back on these statements when they overall semi-boost their claims? And no, the master part was connected directly between the two of them, it wasn't implied to go to anyone else, although alot of the louder detractors (I'm talking on youtube, where I normally operate) got rather quiet after it happened.
It is logical as the Direct clearly offered evidence that supports playable Ridley. The "Direct" allusion was far too ambiguous to damage anything in regards to playable Ridley. I am not entirely familiar with YouTube; however, as stated previously, I did not believe Ridley to be plausible for a very similar reason to CometX-ing. The key difference being that I never insinuated that Ridley couldn't work with his awkward proportions. I knew Ridley could work, I just didn't want to see the attempt, I didn't want Sakurai to develop Ridley to the detriment of another character.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Just remember one of the golden rules of debating: Opinions can't be wrong nor right, they just can be agreed or disagreed. This is why arguments like "It can be resized, but it would look bad" are unbeatables because they're not arguments they are opinions.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If you are referring to Olimar and Bowser they could be resized easily because of there shape. Olimar was sized up and sizing up a character is almost always going to work, but he was also short and stubby giving him a fairly so his shape will remain fairly the same, Bowser also is bulky and fairly stubby, shaped sorta like a circle, thus sizing him down allows him to keep his shape. Ridley on the other had is tall and lanky, he is also very skinny, making sizing him down difficult if you want to keep his proportions in tact and still have him be fairly taller then Samus.
I was partially referring to Bowser and Olimar, but I also had Ganondorf, Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo in mind. Those characters have all been resized to work in Smash; Mewtwo in particular also matches the "tall and lanky, and also very skinny" image, and Pikachu, a character from his own series, is made drastically larger. To most Pokemon fans, seeing Pikachu so large in comparison to big characters like Mewtwo and Charizard is rather strange. I don't think Ridley being resized to be a bit smaller would be a significant issue.

On that note, do you have definite proof that Ridley's proportions would be difficult to work with? Has Sakurai made a statement regarding such an issue? Otherwise, what you're using as proof against Ridley lacks much substance, I'm afraid.

If it works than I'm fine with that, but I feel like it would make him look misshapen
It's fine if you feel that way, but it certainly won't stop Ridley from being playable.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Nope. "It can be resized" isn't an opinion, it's a reality. Anything can be resized, anything at all, it's just a question of whether Sakurai or any other developer in charge elects to do so.

I'm all for civility here, but let's not break our arms trying to pat everyone on the back pretending "their points are valid."

Also, yes, mods are now watching this thread. Proceed with caution.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If it works than I'm fine with that, but I feel like it would make him look misshapen
It could.

But here's one thing I think everyone forgets sometimes.

If in the hypothetical situation where Ridley is resized, people would care for five minutes...

And then just play the game without really thinking about it again.

That's one thing I always found funny. We talk about this "respect to the original character" and when they aren't "respected" we either don't care or completely forget about it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just remember one of the golden rules of debating: Opinions can't be wrong nor right, they just can be agreed or disagreed. This is why arguments like "It can be resized, but it would look bad" are unbeatables because they're not arguments they are opinions.
Nope. "It can be resized" isn't an opinion, it's a reality. Anything can be resized, anything at all, it's just a question of whether Sakurai or any other developer in charge elects to do so.

I'm all for civility here, but let's not break our arms trying to pat everyone on the back pretending "their points are valid."

Also, yes, mods are now watching this thread. Proceed with caution.
He did not assert anything to that effect, you probably misread.

Last edited:

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
I was partially referring to Bowser and Olimar, but I also had Ganondorf, Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo in mind. Those characters have all been resized to work in Smash; Mewtwo in particular also matches the "tall and lanky, and also very skinny" image, and Pikachu, a character from his own series, is made drastically larger. To most Pokemon fans, seeing Pikachu so large in comparison to big characters like Mewtwo and Charizard is rather strange. I don't think Ridley being resized to be a bit smaller would be a significant issue.

On that note, do you have definite proof that Ridley's proportions would be difficult to work with? Has Sakurai made a statement regarding such an issue? Otherwise, what you're using as proof against Ridley lacks much substance, I'm afraid.

It's fine if you feel that way, but it certainly won't stop Ridley from being playable.
For the smaller character I once again say sizing up almost always works, as for Charizard and Mewtwo they are not large like Ridley is and also charizard is fairly bulky and mewtwo is about the size of a human so eh its not really that big.

Also while I do not have direct proof, I know how proportions work I draw and therefor have to know how they work in order for my characters not to look awkward. And while you don't want to use the Mod shokio had shown, I say that that is a fairly realistic example, unless you have another mod to show me I will have no choice but to fall on that.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
A thing I'd like to add is that, while Ridley is scraggly, he is often depicted as crouched or legs bent. If he were playable, he could very well compress himself.

In fact, a too big argument that Zero Mission's Ridley is as Ridley is "supposed to be sized," but his posture being hunched and bent could work.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yes, that was a misread, although it's still a valid consideration when every Ridley argument is messily tossed under the blanket of "IS HE TOO BIG? IS HE NOT TOO BIG?" There's no magic line between the two, it all depends on the head honcho pulling the strings.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
It could.

But here's one thing I think everyone forgets sometimes.

If in the hypothetical situation where Ridley is resized, people would care for five minutes...

And then just play the game without really thinking about it again.

That's one thing I always found funny. We talk about this "respect to the original character" and when they aren't "respected" we either don't care or completely forget about it.
That mainly because most characters are treated pretty well as far as looks go, and I know that there will be people who will complain about it, especially if they mess up badly.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And while you don't want to use the Mod shokio had shown, I say that that is a fairly realistic example, unless you have another mod to show me I will have no choice but to fall on that.

How are these?

Believe it or not, the scale is the same for both pictures.

If you want a mod though...

This is significantly better, though it's unfinished.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
For the smaller character I once again say sizing up almost always works, as for Charizard and Mewtwo they are not large like Ridley is and also charizard is fairly bulky and mewtwo is about the size of a human so eh its not really that big.

Also while I do not have direct proof, I know how proportions work I draw and therefor have to know how they work in order for my characters not to look awkward. And while you don't want to use the Mod shokio had shown, I say that that is a fairly realistic example, unless you have another mod to show me I will have no choice but to fall on that.
I believe the "sizing up" argument claimed that it's much easier to size up characters from their canonical sizes as long as they remain to scale with other characters and objects from their series. That's why many argue that it's alright for Olimar to be sized up, since despite being incredibly tiny in his games, there was no one else to really compare him to, and thus it doesn't look awkward seeing him next to normal sized people. Pikachu, however, is still giant compared to the rest of the cast of Pokemon characters, and it does look awkward. However, that didn't keep Pikachu, or any other Pokemon character, out of Smash. They just worked around it. I believe the same can be done for Ridley.

Now, I personally don't have an actual mod to demonstrate this, but I do believe you've seen the comparison artwork done by Angelglory (the one that Swampasaur just posted)? I think that demonstrates how Ridley can be resized to fit among the cast of Smash characters and still be larger than characters like Samus. Though, again, unless you have proof that Ridley's proportions are impossible to work with, you cannot make the claim that his proportions make him impossible as a Smash character. A poorly made mod does not suffice as proof.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Didn't the Nintendogs prove that size between characters from the same series don't matter that much ?

Ridley would be downzised from what 2 samus high to 1,5 samus ?
That's hardly comparable as something as crazy than this, yet no one cares about the Nintendogs.

At this point I'm pretty sure that the only reason why people would ever find that a resized Ridley is weird is because we put such an emphasis on his size with the Ridley is too big debate.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
The point being? You could easily reduce his size to 0.4x as shown in the first page and it be reasonable. In addition to that, Ridley in Brawl was larger than he usually is. Ridley's unweildly proportions could be played around via bending and folding his wings, which he does a lot in the manga.

Speaking of Manga Ridley, he's not too terribly big compared to Samus.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Okay, irony check, after reading those YouTube comments:

"Fan-made photoshop models of Ridley cannot be used to say that he can be resized."

*posts fan-made photoshop model of Ridley to prove that he can't*

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Speaking of misshapen...Limbs grow while attacking. I feel shape of the character doesn't matter.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice

How are these?

Believe it or not, the scale is the same for both pictures.

If you want a mod though...

This is significantly better, though it's unfinished.
The 2 images show Ridley at different sizes considering one Samus is near his hight and the otherhe is able to hold her in his one hand.

Also as far as the mod goes while I can not argue with Ridley's size idle he does appear to take up a large amount of the stage while in motion, larger than charizard even when he is moving and that is without a mushroom.

Morbi

Scavenger
The 2 images show Ridley at different sizes considering one Samus is near his hight and the otherhe is able to hold her in his one hand.

Also as far as the mod goes while I can not argue with Ridley's size idle he does appear to take up a large amount of the stage while in motion, larger than charizard even when he is moving and that is without a mushroom.
No; the Ridley in image two is the same as Ridley in image one.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No actually. Same scale and everything! Heck @Angelglory can attest to that. It's all about positioning.

True, but again, this is a work in progress and he's just recycling poses from Brawl.

If we had an original animation, it might take up much less space.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Actually, the two images are made with identical models. If you compare the hands in the two pictures, you'll see that the Ridley in the first picture, despite being a similar height to Samus, would certainly be able to fit her in his hand.

I would suggest taking a little closer look at things before jumping to conclusions about sizes. Just because Ridley is shrunk down doesn't mean he can't still fit Samus in his hand, and vice versa.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

Both appear to be the same size. Other Ridley just has massive hands.

And, shadow work has been done to show Ridley's size is all fluff, IE he isn't that much bigger than Bowser. Whether or not it holds much value to you is up to discretion.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
I have to ask, what point are you trying to make here? That's a very large model of Ridley in that picture, but what does it prove? Ridley has been big, yes, but that doesn't mean he can't be resized.
That is the Model from smash in comparison to Samus and ZSS, which is was already set, as per SSE

Top Bottom