• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Very interesting was just watching Japan Time Podcast and the main guy who talked alot saying Ridley wouldn't be in said this....

http://youtu.be/B8HlRi8ei_E?t=1h3m39s

He completely changed his mind and predicted Ridley would be shown playable at E3.....I wonder how he went from "No way that Ridley will be in!" to "I predict Ridley will be at E3"
Probably the same way Shokio went from hardcore "Ridley will never be in" to "I was just trolling"...the fact that it can still happen. Then again, we've gone to lengths explaining that most detractors will instantly jump ship if it does happen...it's basically doubt. I support Ridley, but if he doesn't get a playable spot...oh well, I never thought Ridley was a guaranteed (That's Mewtwo) and am open to the possibility of it not happening because it may very well not...but even then, if it doesn't happen, I'm not going to go and say "Well CLEARLY he wasn't going to be playable." I'd say dammit and enjoy playing Mewtwo and Sonic as my mains.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Very interesting was just watching Japan Time Podcast and the main guy who talked alot saying Ridley wouldn't be in said this....

He completely changed his mind and predicted Ridley would be shown playable at E3.....I wonder how he went from "No way that Ridley will be in!" to "I predict Ridley will be at E3"
I find the fact that a once Ridley detractor saying Ridley has a chance to be revealed at E3 is somewhat relieving. It's nice to know a guy on a podcast as faith in we few, we happy few.

Also, if Ridley is officially disconfirmed, pass around the humble pie. I will gladly eat a huge slice.

Morbi

Scavenger

It isn't actually that surprising; I was the same way, I didn't believe that Ridley would be in prior to the Nintendo Direct. That being said, I wasn't necessarily a detractor, I just didn't want Ridley in the game.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Assuming Ridley is a boss (Just roll with it for now), what do you think the big reward would be for defeating him first?

A ton of health pickups spawn over the victor?

A suicide bombing run on the other combatants?

A huge, friggin explosion?

A free car?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Lots of banning apparently came into effect.

Assuming Ridley is a boss (Just roll with it for now), what do you think the big reward would be for defeating him first?

A free car?
A Ridley trophy probably.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

A free car?
All at the same time.

*opens Photoshop and starts drawing that paricular scene*

Morbi

Scavenger

A free car?
Satisfaction? Isn't the honor enough? I have no idea to be honest, I thought that Yellow Devil was going to be the only boss with a "reward" for murdering him.

Maybe we can't even defeat him!

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

A free car?
Ridley would roar loudly, blasting a bunch of fireballs as he falls down into the lava below. Those fireballs could fly up in the air, and come crashing back down with really high impact and damage.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

A free car?
Ridley submits to the player's will and attacks the other players exclusively.

The scenario most preferred by AndreaAC, I assume.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The freedom to not have to see Ridley as a boss for the remainder of the match.

Either that or everyone else gets Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I find the fact that a once Ridley detractor saying Ridley has a chance to be revealed at E3 is somewhat relieving. It's nice to know a guy on a podcast as faith in we few, we happy few.

Also, if Ridley is officially disconfirmed, pass around the humble pie. I will gladly eat a huge slice.
The pie here will probably taste great...the pie passed out from youtube will probably be filled with used needles and rusty nails considering how needlessly and creepily hateful those freaks are.

TheNin10doUltra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nin10doUltra
3DS FC
0259-0299-7386

A free car?
Free Car? Oh Boy :shades:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Well, if Ridley is a hazard I'll be honest and say that I really thought he was playable and not go, "Oh well of course he's a boss, I secretly knew it all along!"

I'm going to face the outcome, good or bad, with an unchanging stance.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Pff I stopped watching Japan Time back when they did their whole schtick about how Pyrosphere's reveal disconfirmed Ridley and how great that was. I haven't really cared to listen to their shenanigans since. But it's funny that they backpedaled on that.

D

Deleted member

"Congratulations! You are today's defeat Ridley winner from *insert location here*"

*downloads malware onto your Wii U*

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I can understand not thinking that Ridley will be in.

But bashing on Mewtwo is crossing the line. Maybe I should come in and learn him a thing.

Unless he wants to show himself here and have a little chat, since he knows that we were taking about him on Smashboards.

Tell him to come here, we won't hurt him.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
The pie here will probably taste great...the pie passed out from youtube will probably be filled with used needles and rusty nails considering how needlessly and creepily hateful those freaks are.
I don't understand why people on YouTube are such awful, hateful people. I mean, at least here, the hateful and awful people are rarer and get warned into submission. Like, is it required to be a complete douche to be a YouTube commenter? Sure seems like it.

But bashing on Mewtwo is crossing the line. Maybe I should come in and learn him a thing.

Unless he wants to show himself here and have a little chat, since he knows that we were taking about him on Smashboards.

I agree. Mewtwo is totally unrelated to Ridley and there isn't a thing that is against him. He has resurged relevancy, popularity, moveset potential, and nostalgia. Not even Greninja's reveal means a damn thing against his chances, but I digress.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Don't speak too loud friend, he has ears everywhere...and by ears everywhere I mean someone telling him terribly misconstrued information (Not hard to guess who it is). Mewtwo isn't worth arguing over...especially since there's practically nothing going against him.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Ya know... You guys seem to have a difficult time actually and clearly explaining why just seeing Ridley's shadow and an indecisive message wasn't enough to cement Ridley's role. I think MorbidAltruism was closest.

We ought to be careful about the "Boss Characters = Bowser,DDD,Ganondorf" argument. Brawl had plenty of "Boss Characters" that weren't playable. What we should focus on is whether or not Sakurai himself is switching between terms. Does he refer to Yellow Devil as a "Boss" and not a "Boss Character"? Has he ever used the latter term for other Bosses during the Brawl era?

Either way, all that really need be said to people ignoring the ambiguity of the Direct is that Sakurai never directly said Ridley's name, never said that Ridley was one of the Boss Characters, and never showed Ridley himself. Allusions are not confirmations or facts. He can very well be a boss hazard, but cases are not closed with allusions.

Oh, and Hotfeet444, you really need to keep your emotions in check. You really really do.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm used to this shameful Ridley bashing. While I'm not the most confident Ridley supporter in the world I would still love to see him playable, and I hope you all know that.

That being said, it's completely wrong for someone to share Hotfeet's video talking about how little sense it makes, when in reality. Hotfeet is one of the most sensible Smash-tubers out there.

Whether Ridley is in the game or not really has to wait until E3. But aside from me wanting the character, idiots like this really make me want Sakurai to prove them wrong.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I don't understand why people on YouTube are such awful, hateful people. I mean, at least here, the hateful and awful people are rarer and get warned into submission. Like, is it required to be a complete douche to be a YouTube commenter? Sure seems like it.
Don't know, but you could always just ask them...just don't expect a comprehensible response that is, at all. You have a better chance of finding a sensible business decision by Capcom in the past 3 years than finding that, trust me.

I'm used to this shameful Ridley bashing. While I'm not the most confident Ridley supporter in the world I would still love to see him playable, and I hope you all know that.

That being said, it's completely wrong for someone to share Hotfeet's video talking about how little sense it makes, when in reality. Hotfeet is one of the most sensible Smash-tubers out there.

Whether Ridley is in the game or not really has to wait until E3. But aside from me wanting the character, idiots like to really make me want Sakurai to prove them wrong.
While I humbly respect the comment...you've sent at least one person here into a laugh-induced coma.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ya know... You guys seem to have a difficult time actually and clearly explaining why just seeing Ridley's shadow and an indecisive message wasn't enough to cement Ridley's role. I think MorbidAltruism was closest.

We ought to be careful about the "Boss Characters = Bowser,DDD,Ganondorf" argument. Brawl had plenty of "Boss Characters" that weren't playable. What we should focus on is whether or not Sakurai himself is switching between terms. Does he refer to Yellow Devil as a "Boss" and not a "Boss Character"? Has he ever used the latter term for other Bosses during the Brawl era?

Either way, all that really need be said to people ignoring the ambiguity of the Direct is that Sakurai never directly said Ridley's name, never said that Ridley was one of the Boss Characters, and never showed Ridley himself. Allusions are not confirmations or facts. He can very well be a boss hazard, but cases are not closed with allusions.

Oh, and Hotfeet444, you really need to keep your emotions in check. You really really do.
It's a shame we can't pick apart Sakurai's words for potential vagueness, considering the whole language barrier thing.

Maybe someone fluent in Japanese can look at the Yellow Devil section to clarify whether Saks differentiates between bosses and boss characters, or if some things got lost in translation?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Honestly I don't know why we even need to explain why seeing Ridley's shadow plus an indecisive message isn't enough to cement anything. Someone using critical thinking and stating a possibility doesn't have to provide proof to someone declaring facts based off ambiguous situations that they didn't apply any critical thinking to at all.

For lack of a better explanation, it's more like we have to sit here and convince people to not be dumb (for lack of a better explanation) and accept the ambiguity regardless of what they think will happen. Not convince people that the situation WAS ambiguous.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm confident about Ridley because of:
Sakurai could have easily said "Boss characters make appearences in other stages, just like Ridley in Pyrosphere, but, I will save that for later", wouldn't need to show him, just say his name, I don't believe he would keep Ridley just to deconfirm him at E3, the solely fact that he hasn't mentioned Ridley by name makes me confident enough
EDIT:
Free Car? Oh Boy :shades:
I'm actually surprised of how respectful you have been all the times you've come here, considering your videos regarding him. Is Youtube a disease that makes people be disrespectful to others?

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley's existance has been acknowledged twice now in a really weird way. I don't really know why Sakurai would hint like this to hype up the non-playability of a popularly requested playable character, but I guess anything's possible.

D

Deleted member

The only reason I could see Ridley not being a playable dude is if Sakurai couldn't find it in him to make it work. Even then, it's a bit unlikely, but subjective allusions are subjective allusions...
I think that if he couldn't make him work, he could just deconfirm him already, it's impossible they are sill making newcomers at this point, probably polishing them at least

D

Deleted member

I think that if he couldn't make him work, he could just deconfirm him already, it's impossible they are sill making newcomers at this point, probably polishing them at least
This is exactly why I think he is still plausible, if Ridley was 100% not playable, I feel like Sakurai would've come right out and deconfirmed him during the Smash Direct or during a PotD like he did with Wonder Red, Waluigi, etc.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
The only reason I could see Ridley not being a playable dude is if Sakurai couldn't find it in him to make it work. Even then, it's a bit unlikely, but subjective allusions are subjective allusions...
They got Namco to help Sakurai this time around....And Namco has made characters like this. Namco most likely looked at Ridley and said "Pfffft piece of cake"

http://youtu.be/TBNkao2Y_Yc?t=10s

majora_787

Smash Hero
I've gone over it earlier in the thread, but irregular body type and posture as well as large size really aren't things that would stop Sakurai from making a character work if he wanted. We've had large characters with weird body types and normal sized characters with weird posture. This would just be a combination of things he has definitely made work in the past. Plus, we're talking about a guy who made an amazing meme-grade moveset for a guy who had nothing bug an NES mugshot and a blue racing vehicle to his name. Sakurai can make anything work if he wants to.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Am I the only one thinking that the mysterious 3DS title, which will follow right after the Smash Q&A, is a new Metroid and (playable) Ridley will be a big focus in Smash related news because of it?

Last edited:

TheNin10doUltra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nin10doUltra
3DS FC
0259-0299-7386
I'm confident about Ridley because of:
Sakurai could have easily said "Boss characters make appearences in other stages, just like Ridley in Pyrosphere, but, I will save that for later", wouldn't need to show him, just say his name, I don't believe he would keep Ridley just to deconfirm him at E3, the solely fact that he hasn't mentioned Ridley by name makes me confident enough
EDIT:
I'm actually surprised of how respectful you have been all the times you've come here, considering your videos regarding him. Is Youtube a disease that makes people be disrespectful to others?
Me & Shoke don't care if Ridley is in or not. I still believe Ridley won't make it. :shades:

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Honestly I don't know why we even need to explain why seeing Ridley's shadow plus an indecisive message isn't enough to cement anything. Someone using critical thinking and stating a possibility doesn't have to provide proof to someone declaring facts based off ambiguous situations that they didn't apply any critical thinking to at all.

For lack of a better explanation, it's more like we have to sit here and convince people to not be dumb (for lack of a better explanation) and accept the ambiguity regardless of what they think will happen. Not convince people that the situation WAS ambiguous.
Not everybody is going to practice critical thinking. Some people simply believe so strongly in their own perceptions that they can't look at situations from perspectives other than their own (no credit taken for this particular idea). It can take one or two or many people pointing out different perspectives to get just one person to reconsider their stance. And sometimes all the yelling and palm-thumping in the world will not persuade an individual from their hard-coded ways.

Now this isn't to say that critical thinking will always lead to the right perspective. And not all attempts at critical thinking are void of flaw. It's why it's good to have multiple perspectives to consider.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

A free car?
your final smash turns into a landmaster

I agree. Mewtwo is totally unrelated to Ridley and there isn't a thing that is against him.
What are you saying? mewtwo have something very common with Ridley!

both would make amazing roster additions

And for the record please! please! please! ignore the trolls, i read everything to catch on and was painful reading both petey farts (becasue that would hardly be a comment) and the next 7 post repeating the same things to someone who clearly didnt wanted to listen and didn't do any effort to do an argument...

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
True. I think Ridley has a pretty decent chance, at least a 60, at most 78.2%, but if Sakurai looked at Ridley and saw boss potential instead of playable dude potential, then that will be that. Also, my creepy bird serpent friend, that is an amazing idea!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Not everybody is going to practice critical thinking. Some people simply believe so strongly in their own perceptions that they can't look at situations from perspectives other than their own (no credit taken for this particular idea). It can take one or two or many people pointing out different perspectives to get just one person to reconsider their stance. And sometimes all the yelling and palm-thumping in the world will not persuade an individual from their hard-coded ways.

Now this isn't to say that critical thinking will always lead to the right perspective. And not all attempts at critical thinking are void of flaw. It's why it's good to have multiple perspectives to consider.
But I feel in this case actually looking at what you're seeing is more beneficial to the creation of an intelligent mutual conversation on the subject, as opposed to someone going "I saw X which means it's definitely X and can't be anything else." That's not exactly a helpful perspective, while people who actually analyze what we've seen have been able to reach a number of possibilities on either side.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Me & Shoke don't care if Ridley is in or not. We just mess around. :shades: As for as Youtube goes. The "Gaming" community. It's bad. A lot of..Nintendo..hatred.
I must say, the amount of yelling and "exposing" in your videos didn't exactly leave that impression on most viewers. If you really don't care that much about Ridley, you might want to make that more clear to those who watch your videos.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Japan Time danced on Ridley's probable grave? Isn't that the podcast with the one guy who rigged the #SmashPoll2012 for Skull Kid and got buttkiss to show for it?

D

Deleted member

I must say, the amount of yelling and "exposing" in your videos didn't exactly leave that impression on most viewers. If you really don't care that much about Ridley, you might want to make that more clear to those who watch your videos.
Yeah, most of them really are that direspectful, I didn't want Waluigi, but I didn't go to the Waluigi thread and say: "I knew it was an Assist Trophy! You were so delusional! Why would Sakurai make him playable if he's an AT" and that kind of dumb stuff, you may not like a char, but there is no need to be so vocal about it

TheNin10doUltra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nin10doUltra
3DS FC
0259-0299-7386
Welcome to Youtube :shades:

Last edited:
Top Bottom