• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I did flip out a bit when :4charizard: was shown to be as small as he was.
Pokedex has charizard as shorter than 6 feet, i honestly wasn't suprised with his height.

Pokemon have vastly varying sizes, anyone who has kept up with the series should know.

Everything intact, he's slightly crouched and would most likely crouch more in an actual fighting pose, and he doesn't look off at all. Boom, done, can we stop this bias discussion please?
That height of Ridley would have him poking his head above platforms in stages like battlefield, leaving his hurtbox in range for a variety of attacks by a stationary opponent standing above.
That isn't really fair for him, is it?

I for one think that IF (big if) Ridley is playable, he'll take bowser's "hunched" stance that he has conveniently abandoned in this game.

He DOES have good reason though.

He has a brand new boss fight thing, and is including an incredibly popular boss character in the lineup of said new thing. Even if it's just boss fights, having Ridley in there makes it that much more exciting for some people. For all we know, the context of his reveal in the Direct may have been what Sakurai considered "enough" for people to see him as a boss. He doesn't know everything. If Ridley is truly a boss, there's no way he would have known that people would interpret that clip as him being playable.

This isn't getting us hyped for nothing. He's possibly getting you hyped for Ridley as a boss on Pyrosphere.
I thought it was obvious that boss battles is a hyped mechanic this time. It did get its own section in the direct, alongside coverage of items, characters, and smash run.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ridley's biggest character traits:

-Leader of the Space Pirates
-Killed Samus' parents
-Has the closest connection to the main character

Not one of Ridley's bios have ever described him as being "large" or "big", it's always "Leader of the Space Pirates and slayer of parents! Samus and Ridley are eternal rivals" that kind of schtick...so if that's the case, why is his size such a big part of his character. The other kind of info on him that's brought up was that he's very smart and how he slaughtered the space station full of scientists for the Baby Metroid in Super Metroid...that's it.

If no major source ever even mentions his size...why is his size so important? Oh right, it isn't.

I highly doubt that Sakurai would do that unless he had good reason to do so...and even then, if that's the case, why would he then go ahead and deconfirm everything right away to not let anyone get mistaken on the character's role. Sakurai doesn't get us hyped for nothing, he wants people to be really excited when something is shown...like many many months of a boxing ring without Little Mac.

He has a brand new boss fight thing, and is including an incredibly popular boss character in the lineup of said new thing. Even if it's just boss fights, having Ridley in there makes it that much more exciting for some people. For all we know, the context of his reveal in the Direct may have been what Sakurai considered "enough" for people to see him as a boss. He doesn't know everything. If Ridley is truly a boss, there's no way he would have known that people would interpret that clip as him being playable.

This isn't getting us hyped for nothing. He's possibly getting you hyped for Ridley as a boss on Pyrosphere.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Now I feel like I'm just being ignored.

As stated multiple times at this point, there are other instances aside from just Olimar (like Pikachu and the other Pokemon) where size is completely out of whack compared to the series the characters originate from. As shown by some excellent comparisons made by some talented members here, Ridley can be resized into a workable size while still being larger than Samus, so the original game canon (which already is proven to not matter) is still kept intact. And Metroid is a very popular series, and has been around for quite some time, much longer than Animal Crossing, and is very deserving of receiving its villain as a playable character.

I apologize, but I still see no reason that Ridley can't be playable.
You also have to take into account that from a business stand point as of now Nintendo really won't gain anything from adding Ridley, whereas villager was riding on the success of New Leaf, unless they release another Metroid game soon then they still will have nothing to gain, they have Samus and ZSS so I would not put it against them to try and skate by with ZSS being you second Metroid rep.

And I can't really say anything relating to fan made works, because while they are admittedly well made they are still fan made and don't effect how Sakurai will do things.

Ridley doesn't even have a canon size, his size varies from game to game. In Metroid prime 3 he even change size in the game, being omega Ridley smaller than Meta-Ridley.
Those are different version of Ridley so meh, size changes dependent on form.

Last edited by a moderator:

domokl

Smash Lord
You also have to take into account that from a business stand point as of now Nintendo really won't gain anything from adding Ridley, whereas villager was riding on the success of New Leaf, unless they release another Metroid game soon then they still will have nothing to gain, they have Samus and ZSS so I would not put it against them to try and skate by with ZSS being you second Metroid rep.

And I can't really say anything relating to fan made works, because while they are admittedly well made they are still fan made and don't effect how Sakurai will do things.
Little mac nor mega man were riding on any sucess either by that logic. They weren't in very recent games either.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Considering he was clearly aware of Little Mac's popularity in the West, and thus couldn't possibly have missed the fact that Ridley was right up there along with him in playable requests, then Sakurai really screwed up understanding fan expectations if that is what his mindset is really thinking about the situation.

Greninja'd
As stupid as this is going to sound, it is entirely possible that Sakurai simply doesn't see Ridley as playable material, and saw him better fit as a boss on Pyrosphere.

You guys act like Sakurai would never make a mistake like that. But trust me, he would.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

There's Metroid Other M, and the fact that Ridley is one of the more popular requests for Smash. The sales he could generate for Smash alone could be enough.

And actually, there's something else with your logic here. Little Mac hasn't had a game since 2009. By your logic, he shouldn't have been added in because Nintendo would have "nothing to gain" by adding him in.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

Is there a new Punch-Out game coming out that I don't know about? :4littlemac:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

You never know, a new Metroid could be announced at E3, with playable Ridley in Smash leading the way (which would explain all the teasing Sakurai has done with him).

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

But that makes no sense...especially when there's no way in hell anyone would think that's worth hyping. People wanted a playable Ridley, the requests were for a PLAYABLE Ridley, not a Boss hazard Ridley. And there's no way to misinterpret it either, especially if Little Mac's in the game and that clearly required looking at North American popularity, where only Ridley and Mewtwo beat out Little Mac.

And how would he not know? It's like saying nobody predicted that Pseudo-Palutena skit as a play-on to the fact of Palutena's possible inclusion, he HAS to know this, people living under rocks know that people want Ridley playable. Sakurai knows this community, he knows what we want and knows how to yank us around with it. When Palutena was leaked we got that shot of Viridi on the Kid Icarus stage with Rosalina and Zelda, two females of high power in their worlds, that couldn't have been anything BUT keeping up with the community. I have faith that he'll possibly give us a playable Ridley, and considering there's still NO HYPE for the boss hazard but ALL THE HYPE for the playable character, it doesn't take long to realize that if he is said other thing, letting people know so they aren't disappointed is the best course of action, yet we haven't gotten it yet? Why? I'll tell you why, because he's probably playable AND a Boss!

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Easy. Sakurai is thinking to himself, "People will be psyched to see that Ridley is a stage boss on Pyrosphere. I don't want to spill all the beans so I'll keep them guessing until next time!"

It's very simply the fact that he wants people to stay interested. Coincidentally, people ARE still interested in it, proving he would be right with this kind of mindset really.
This is something I have never understood. Why do people assume Sakurai is trying to hype up a stage boss? It seems a bit of a naive assumption to me, and a downright stupid decision if Sakurai is doing it.

It's not like bosses are a new concept to Smash Bros. Sure they appear on some stages now, but that's little more then an added gimmick that will have very little impact on the game as a whole. Hyping up Ridley as a stage boss would be similar to hyping up Mewtwo as a Master Ball exclusive Pokemon, a gimmick to an already existing feature. Not only that, the fan outcry for Ridley is second only to Mewtwo. Sure, it's not nearly as big as people say it is, but it is still there and it's really, really loud. It's not a question of if Sakurai knows people want Ridley as a playable character, he knows. Ridley's "disconfirmation" was one of the most controversial things to happen in this community, I don't think there has ever been a time people have been so harshly divided in opinion, and even before then it was pretty bad. It's impossible that the Smash Bros team has missed this, heck, Nintendo employees have admitted to visiting websites and forums to see what we are saying. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10491051&postcount=62356) Even Sakurai has said that he gets character requests from all over the place (then put in the one he didn't get any requests for whatsoever...) he knows what the community wants.

And if he knows what the community wants, why on earth would he underdeliver on those wants in this manner? If he just showed Ridley outright that would be forgivable, but the fact that he has been ambiguous with him for over half a year and that Ridley is the only character he is doing it with shows that either he is hiding something from us, or that he is intentionally messing with us for the fun of it, because there is no way he's so blind to what the community wants.

EDIT: And after saying this I see 5 other responses to the same post. Why does this thread move so freaking fast!!!!

Last edited:

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
There's Metroid Other M, and the fact that Ridley is one of the more popular requests for Smash. The sales he could generate for Smash alone could be enough.

And actually, there's something else with your logic here. Little Mac hasn't had a game since 2009. By your logic, he shouldn't have been added in because Nintendo would have "nothing to gain" by adding him in.
Other M from what I have heard was very poorly recieved and I doubt putting Ridley in will change that. And with Punch out I don't know, I suppose that would be with combination of requests and SSB4 going retro.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Is Ridley the only ideal candidate for a Smash boss? Certainly not, at least to me. The Metroid series has plenty of memorable and interesting characters to choose from, including the gargantuan beast Kraid or the menacing super-computer Mother Brain. Nightmare is also another option. And what about the Queen Metroid? Y'know, the most powerful form of the species of which the franchise is named after? Who wouldn't want to fight Metroids Smash style?

All this controversy and pessimism is really killing my interest in this game period.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Other M from what I have heard was very poorly recieved and I doubt putting Ridley in will change that. And with Punch out I don't know, I suppose that would be with combination of requests and SSB4 going retro.
That's totally why Pyrosphere is a stage and Zero Suit Samus has a design based off of Other M.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Is Ridley the only ideal candidate for a Smash boss. Certainly not, at least to me. The Metroid series has plenty of memorable and interesting characters to choose from, including the gargantuan beast Kraid or the menacing super-computer Mother Brain. Nightmare is also another option. And what about the Queen Metroid? Y'know, the most powerful form of the species of which the franchise is named after? Who wouldn't want to fight Metroids Smash style?

All this controversy and pessimism is really killing my interest in this game period.
Not to mention Kraids already appeared before

Would be stupidly easy to make into a boss battle.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Poor reception certainly hasn't stopped Metroid Other M from getting content in the game. That, and Ridley isn't exclusive to Other M; as the antagonist of the Metroid series, he pretty much promotes the series as a whole.

And with Little Mac, I'm sorry, but that sounds a bit like an excuse made to support your argument. I could just as easily say that Ridley could get in due to requests. And Punch Out Wii isn't exactly retro...

Last edited:

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Is Ridley the only ideal candidate for a Smash boss? Certainly not, at least to me. The Metroid series has plenty of memorable and interesting characters to choose from, including the gargantuan beast Kraid or the menacing super-computer Mother Brain. Nightmare is also another option. And what about the Queen Metroid? Y'know, the most powerful form of the species of which the franchise is named after? Who wouldn't want to fight Metroids Smash style?

I would actually would not mind seeing some of the other hunter

D

Deleted member

On the subject of other Metroid Bosses, I'm on Team Crocomire.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Omega Ridley is basically Meta-Ridley enhanced with phazon weaponry. They are the same Ridley.

Now, I'm starting to wondering how much do you actually know about Ridley?

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's hard to say, since Sakurai did acknowledge Ridley as possible, and the primary concern that seemed to come to his mind was him being slow. He COULD make that kind of mistake, but we don't really know at this point. Since he also changes his mind on things sometimes.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Not to mention Kraids already appeared before

Would be stupidly easy to make into a boss battle.
Oh god, Brinstar Depths...I loved that stage...

Because relevancy and sales have anything to do with character entry...

:popo::gw::rob::drmario:

Hmm... I wonder who could've possibly got in without those two factors...

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Poor reception certainly hasn't stopped Metroid Other M from getting content in the game. That, and Ridley isn't exclusive to Other M; as the antagonist of the Metroid series, he pretty much promotes the series as a whole.

And with Little Mac, I'm sorry, but that sounds a bit like an excuse made to support your argument. I could just as easily say that Ridley could get in due to requests. And Punch Out Wii isn't exactly retro...
Trophies and a cosmetic change don't really mean much, and with no new games there is still no push. But Punch out Wii may not be retro, but that is one game in years, he is just takes the appearance, he is retro because when his games were fairly constant was really far back. But with Metroid their games have not been as sparse as little mac's

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
dunno, regarding what scoliosis said, it's actually one of the most likely scenarios where Ridley wont'b be playable, it would also explain to a degree the hyping and the ambiguity.

I'm by no mean saying that Ridley is out 100% in fact i think is more likely that he is playable rather than not. but i believe that is not completely unlikely that ridley ends as a boss.

It would be a mistake? IMO yes, certainly, considering mother brain could be pretty good boss material too, and i believe she is certainly iconic enough to have created hype and excitement as a boss character. but is not like people don't make mistakes ._.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Omega Ridley is basically Meta-Ridley enhanced with phazon weaponry. They are the same Ridley.

Now, I'm starting to wondering how much do you actually know about Ridley?
Even if it is just mixed with Phazon its still a different form if he changed size because of it, if he just up and change size out of nowhere and with no help then you would have a point.

majora_787

Smash Hero
dunno, regarding what scoliosis said, it's actually one of the most likely scenarios where Ridley wont'b be playable, it would also explain to a degree the hyping and the ambiguity.

I'm by no mean saying that Ridley is out 100% in fact i think is more likely that he is playable rather than not. but i believe that is not completely unlikely that ridley ends as a boss.

It would be a mistake? IMO yes, certainly, considering mother brain could be pretty good boss material too, and i believe she is certainly iconic enough to have created hype and excitement as a boss character. but is not like people don't make mistakes ._.
Not only this, but we even have Vorash and Goyagma for the stage awkwardly named Pyrosphere despite not being the Pyrosphere.

EDIT: Why are we even arguing about canon sizes in a spinoff game where canon size literally does not matter, and we are playing as figurines of characters. It isn't a valid conversational direction at all.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well nothing with ridley but...

Rememebrr direct deconfirms. (Now im not saying Ridley is deconfirmed it has nothing to do with him)

Its that i lied i think wonder-red was deconfirmed indirectly not directly. (his quote on that trophy looks nothing like the quotes on skull kid, Waluigi, Dillion, Britney, and the rest on the direct.)

In other words i think theres still a 5% chance for wonder-red at this point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It makes sense for something to inexplicably shrink when infused with a high powered energy mutagen?

Ignoring that bizzare logic, it is invalid due to the original encounter on Pirate Homeworld Leviathan Core being Meta Ridley again (Omega Ridley didn't exist) while being much smaller than on Norion, being shorter than Samus while on all fours.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Even if it is just mixed with Phazon its still a different form if he changed size because of it, if he just up and change size out of nowhere and with no help then you would have a point.
Should we look at Brawl?

Normal Ridley changed sized.

In the cutscene before his fight, he's actually much bigger than his boss battle model.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Sylux and those other ones I can't remember
Sylux, maybe if after Ridley, but I would not believe for a second that he was chosen over Ridley as the only non-Samus Metroid Rep. As much as I love the Hunters(except for spikey rock guy), they hold no significance in the franchise.

...What?

Pretty sure Omega Ridley is still Ridley, just with additional spooky powers and a new style. It's like saying Dark Bow- it's like saying Kaptain K. Rool isn't obviously King K. Rool.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Ok while I would love to continue with this I have stuff to do in the morning so I will be taking my leave for now and going to sleep.

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Sylux, maybe if after Ridley, but I would not believe for a second that he was chosen over Ridley as the only non-Samus Metroid Rep. As much as I love the Hunters(except for spikey rock guy), they hold no significance in the franchise.

...What?

Pretty sure Omega Ridley is still Ridley, just with additional spooky powers and a new style. It's like saying Dark Bow- it's like saying Kaptain K. Rool isn't obviously King K. Rool.
Kap K. Rool is K. Rool in a costume, he did not get mutated of transformed like Ridley.

domokl

Smash Lord

...What?

Of course I was just telling him the name of the hunter sorry for the misconception

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Trophies and a cosmetic change don't really mean much, and with no new games there is still no push. But Punch out Wii may not be retro, but that is one game in years, he is just takes the appearance, he is retro because when his games were fairly constant was really far back. But with Metroid their games have not been as sparse as little mac's
...You are aware that there is a stage from Other M in the game, right?

I mean, I'd assume this is impossible to forget, but you didn't mention it, and it's kind of significant.

And, again, Metroid Other M is still a fairly recent game that could still be pushed, and, again, Ridley's effect on Smash sales alone could justify his inclusion from a business standpoint.

Now, out of curiosity, do you still believe Ridley is impossible at this point?

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Phazon infusion has never made things smaller, in fact corrupted creatures tend to be bigger than the normal ones.

Top Bottom