• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, is it wrong that I don't see Ridley picking up Pikachu at all?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
All right, all right, I get it, @ IsmaR IsmaR - but it still wasn't trolling, I was just trying to lighten the mood a bit.

Has anyone played Ridley in Crusade? If so, did you like the way he handles? Would you like a similar moveset in official Smash?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Anyhow, that was a fun activity.

Now back to these shadow pics.
View attachment 14443
So...normal grab, or special grab?

Methinks its a special grab like these. Perhaps Ridley is inheriting Bowser's Koopa Klaw.

It looks more like the Super Metroid grab with the feet.

Wouldn't shock me cause Sakurai said he gave Mega Man mostly moves from Mega Man 2 cause it was the most popular.

Yes the problem is we don't see Pikachu's shadow during what we think is the grab but we believe we see it after.

Ignore the colored in Pikachu tail thats actually Ridley's tail being stretched. (So I believe)

You can see Ridley's left foot/arm but then you look at the right....Its extremely lopsided. At first I thought maybe Ridley's right foot is just lower to the ground but I don't know. I mean this is a shadow but I don't see how it could be stretched that much but be so fat cuz shadows closer to the ground (In Pyrosphere) get thinner like Ridley's tail.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Has anyone played Ridley in Crusade? If so, did you like the way he handles? Would you like a similar moveset in official Smash?
I've played Ridley in Crusade, and I have to admit that I don't really like how they did him. He's just missing a certain.. je ne sais quoi that I can't really put my finger on. His specials are kinda confusing, especially his recovery; the rapid-fireballs are useful, but the charge fireball seems pretty useless both in damage/knockback and the weird-as-hell angle that it takes when you fire it. He's got good combo potential, but that's to be expected from something with big hitboxes. Your margin for error is low both in taking damage, and dealing it, so I feel like the character balances out in the end. Definitely could've been done way better, and I feel like Sakurai would probably have/will done/do better than what we've got there.

Having said that, a lot of the newcomers in Crusade are satisfying and fun to play in comparison. Mega Man, Geno, Porky and Petey all struck me as fun characters, but the rest of them felt kinda shoehorned in for the sake of having them. Mach Rider? Snivy? Duck Hunt Duck? His name is Mr. Peepers, by the way, so genuine failure there. DHD just seems so sloppy. I mean, they have a lot of work to do, and it shows.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yes and no.

I was using low-quality gfycats before, so I didn't see it, but one can see the thicker tail, round body, and pointy ears here as opposed to Ridley's rope-like tail.

So, yes, because its unlikely any amount of shadow distortions can make that shape.

And no, it's not wrong, because I would expect a boss as savage and awe-inspiring as Ridley to eat Pikachu or something, not lazily idle so much that its easy to assume Pikachu's not there.

It looks more like the Super Metroid grab with the feet.

Wouldn't shock me cause Sakurai said he gave Mega Man mostly moves from Mega Man 2 cause it was the most popular.

I might be wrong, but do these feet look articulate enough to grab people?
Besides, Brawl kinda solidified Ridley's tendency to use his arms to grab people. But maybe they are going the retro direction with the feet.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I've played Ridley in Crusade, and I have to admit that I don't really like how they did him. He's just missing a certain.. je ne sais quoi that I can't really put my finger on. His specials are kinda confusing, especially his recovery; the rapid-fireballs are useful, but the charge fireball seems pretty useless both in damage/knockback and the weird-as-hell angle that it takes when you fire it. He's got good combo potential, but that's to be expected from something with big hitboxes. Your margin for error is low both in taking damage, and dealing it, so I feel like the character balances out in the end. Definitely could've been done way better, and I feel like Sakurai would probably have/will done/do better than what we've got there.

Having said that, a lot of the newcomers in Crusade are satisfying and fun to play in comparison. Mega Man, Geno, Porky and Petey all struck me as fun characters, but the rest of them felt kinda shoehorned in for the sake of having them. Mach Rider? Snivy? Duck Hunt Duck? His name is Mr. Peepers, by the way, so genuine failure there. DHD just seems so sloppy. I mean, they have a lot of work to do, and it shows.
Mr. Peepers is just a rumor. DHD in my opinion is the best addition to Crusade, and Mach was added in Demo 1. They have a rule, no finished characters get cut. Thee next demo looks great, and Ridley is even getting recolored to be his classic purple self. Resprites or crappy ones like Goku and Ryu are done, and Pac-Man, Little Mac, Klonoa, Tingle, Crash Bandicoot, Bowser, and others are all getting added next

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
All right, all right, I get it, @ IsmaR IsmaR - but it still wasn't trolling, I was just trying to lighten the mood a bit.

With a little tweaking, yes...In fact, I have a potential Special Moveset

Most of Ridley's attacks are from this video:
Standard Special
Napalm Breath (look at the video 1:15-1:18)
:
Ridley takes a deep breath, charging his fire ball breath attack.
Hold Special to release a continuous fire stream (like Charizard)

When the fireball is released on the ground, the fireball flies horizontally; while at air, the fireball flies downwards at an small angle (25 degrees falling); Good at recovery prevention.
At full power, the fireball EXPLODES UPON CONTACT with either enemy or ground.

Up Special
Dragon Flight:
On the ground, Ridley leaps upwards, damaging anyone under him.
On the air, Ridley makes a somersault mid-air and enters flight mode. Ridley's flight direction is based on where you point Ridley's head.
Duration can last up to 5 seconds. ...Yes, Ridley would have the longest Recovery in the game.

Side Special
Hunter Grab (Video @ 1:35 & 2:53):
On the Ground, Ridley lunges towards an enemy to grab them.
While Midair, Ridley can lunge towards an enemy and grab them mid-air....While grabbing an enemy, Ridley's elevation from the ground is FIXED and may hover indefinitely until enemy is thrown or breaks free.
Ridley can carry the enemy while in-flight and either pummel them or throw them away AT ANY DIRECTION

This is also a good horizontal recovery move.
When coupled with Dragon Flight, Hunter Grab can allow Ridley to lunge at and grab enemies from ANY DIRECTION.
.....Doesn't this remind you of the Ridley shadow Direct. http://gfycat.com/SentimentalBronzeIndianrhinoceros#

Down Special
Aura Surge (Video @ 0:32)
: Ridley focuses to generate a dark aura. Similar to Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing, Ridley charges up a "powerful aura". Hold B to charge up the aura until you see Ridley's body blinking.

The aura's duration depends on how long you charged; at full charge the aura lasts 10 seconds.

While the aura is in-effect, the following changes will happen:
1. All Ridley's attacks are stronger and faster.
2. Ridley's Napalm Breath charges faster.
3. Projectile Attacks are reflected from Ridley

As you can see, the Space Dragon has a LOT of potential as a Smash newcomer
Also, for Ridley model, I want the CONCEPT ART from Metroid: Other M

What do you think of this Special moveset? Let me know.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Mr. Peepers is just a rumor. DHD in my opinion is the best addition to Crusade, and Mach was added in Demo 1. They have a rule, no finished characters get cut. Thee next demo looks great, and Ridley is even getting recolored to be his classic purple self. Resprites or crappy ones like Goku and Ryu are done, and Pac-Man, Little Mac, Klonoa, Tingle, Crash Bandicoot, Bowser, and others are all getting added next
You know, I wanted to prove you wrong about the Mr. Peepers thing, but for the life of me I cannot find anything regarding that information anywhere after something like twenty minutes of searching. What's worse is that everyone's citing the name as Mr. Peepers, but no-one has any links to proof, 'cept to a Metroid fansite interview translation that only passingly mentions Duck Hunt, but nothing about the dog or the name. That's just annoying, blah.

Even so, it still stands: DHD just seems lazy to me. I don't want to pick the character that sounds like an illegal psychoactive drug. Even if it's not true, calling him Mr. Peepers would've been the better alternative all around.

As for the new characters, that's neat. I'd be down with trying Little Mac and Klonoa, at least.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Standard Special
:

When the fireball is released on the ground, the fireball flies horizontally; while at air, the fireball flies downwards at an small angle (25 degrees falling); Good at recovery prevention.

Up Special
Dragon Flight:
On the air, Ridley makes a somersault mid-air and enters flight mode. Ridley's flight direction is based on where you point Ridley's head.
Duration can last up to 5 seconds. ...Yes, Ridley would have the longest Recovery in the game.

Side Special
While Midair, Ridley can lunge towards an enemy and grab them mid-air....While grabbing an enemy, Ridley's elevation from the ground is FIXED and may hover indefinitely until enemy is thrown or breaks free.
Ridley can carry the enemy while in-flight and either pummel them or throw them away AT ANY DIRECTION

When coupled with Dragon Flight, Hunter Grab can allow Ridley to lunge at and grab enemies from ANY DIRECTION.
.....Doesn't this remind you of the Ridley shadow Direct. http://gfycat.com/SentimentalBronzeIndianrhinoceros#

Down Special
: Ridley focuses to generate a dark aura. Similar to Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing, Ridley charges up a "powerful aura". Hold B to charge up the aura until you see Ridley's body blinking.

The aura's duration depends on how long you charged; at full charge the aura lasts 10 seconds.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm a little disappointed by the lack of tail attacks. Him jackhammering the ground is one of his signature moves.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You know, I wanted to prove you wrong about the Mr. Peepers thing, but for the life of me I cannot find anything regarding that information anywhere after something like twenty minutes of searching. That's just annoying, blah. Even so, it still stands: DHD just seems lazy to me. I don't want to pick the character that sounds like an illegal psychoactive drug. Even if it's not true, calling him Mr. Peepers would've been the better alternative all around.

As for the new characters, that's neat. I'd be down with trying Little Mac and Klonoa, at least.
To be honest, I'm most hyped about having the ultimate battle of the companies; Mario vs. Sonic vs. MM vs. Pac-Man

then add on vs. Rayman and vs. Crash or Snake, and just.... wow.

As for DHD, his moves are fun and he is one of the best comboers in the game, plus that beautiful UpSmash.

On Ridley, I actually like him, especially the rapid fireballs and the large one. Start charging, stepdodge, continue, fire in midair = powerful smash attack.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
On Ridley, I actually like him, especially the rapid fireballs and the large one. Start charging, stepdodge, continue, fire in midair = powerful smash attack.
I dunno, he just didn't grab me in the same way the others I listed did. I just can't for the life of me bring myself to like Ridley. I'm willing to give Mr. Peepers a chance in the near future, though.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I dunno, he just didn't grab me in the same way the others I listed did. I just can't for the life of me bring myself to like Ridley. I'm willing to give Mr. Peepers a chance in the near future, though.
He'll still always be DHD to me, lol.

Ridley could definitely use some buffs but the multiple flight combined with the heavy weight are actually a pretty decent combo.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Besides, Brawl kinda solidified Ridley's tendency to use his arms to grab people. But maybe they are going the retro direction with the feet.
i've always though that Ridley moveset could get some ideas from Firebrand from U Marvel vs Capcom 3. firebrand have various fly moves, and dash moves, excellent aerial game and a decent fireball plus, he have a comand grab when he comes from the air and literally surfs in the enemy while flaming it up... i can certainly see Ridley having a move like that.

look at 0:40

that way Ridley can have some signature moves withouth needing to be masive (Firebrand is fairly small), i think it should be only twice as big as samus and just a little smaller than bowser. plus, smash made "signature" of ridley to grab samus with it hands, i don't see why it could make it again to make signature grabing samus with its feet...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes and no.

I was using low-quality gfycats before, so I didn't see it, but one can see the thicker tail, round body, and pointy ears here as opposed to Ridley's rope-like tail.

So, yes, because its unlikely any amount of shadow distortions can make that shape.

And no, it's not wrong, because I would expect a boss as savage and awe-inspiring as Ridley to eat Pikachu or something, not lazily idle so much that its easy to assume Pikachu's not there.

I might be wrong, but do these feet look articulate enough to grab people?
I apologize, but I still don't see what makes the shadow so obviously Pikachu. The only thing I see that would suggest that is the shadow that resembles Pikachu's distinctive tail, but that's obviously the result of the shadow being distorted by that slight elevation on the Phrosphere floor. So, I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but what about that shadow makes it so obvious it's Pikachu?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I apologize, but I still don't see what makes the shadow so obviously Pikachu. The only thing I see that would suggest that is the shadow that resembles Pikachu's distinctive tail, but that's obviously the result of the shadow being distorted by that slight elevation on the Phrosphere floor. So, I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but what about that shadow makes it so obvious it's Pikachu?
S'Alright, it took me a while to accept it too.
ITS PIKACHU.png

Plus, compare the thickness of the tails here.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Standard Special
:

Up Special
Dragon Flight:

Side Special

Down Special

Sorry no tail attack that needs to be down special attack.

The down special in your moveset is much closer to what his final smash could be.

And for normal special how can he have a charge up attack and have a special like charizard and bowser.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Ah, looks like we are back to some good old analyzing.

"The last detractor has been silenced, the thread is a peace."

For now at least.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
S'Alright, it took me a while to accept it too.
View attachment 14456

Plus, compare the thickness of the tails here.
I don't know, I could just as easily imagine that it's simply a shadow of Ridley's feet and tail, distorted in such a way that it resembles Pikachu. The elevation on the floor would also explain the resemblance to Pikachu's lightning bolt tail as well as the thickness. In fact, Ridley not picking up Pikachu would explain questions like "where did Pikachu go" and "why did neither Ridley or Pikachu struggle? I honestly think it's just an illusion, and that Ridley never grabbed Pikachu to begin with.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

For now at least.
Right, and we'll have time to show off our fanart.

Let's get cracking.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I think Ridley's special Attacks should be :

Normal Special: Charging fire ball (like Metroid Other M & SSB Crusade)

Side Special: Similar to Bowser's side special but Ridley will do his SSBB/Other M grab to the floor horizontaly

Up Special: SSBB Pit's up special but Ridley's wings edges will be red and not blue

Down Special: Ridley becomes black as in Metroid Other M and it works as Fox's shield (but he can't move when he's using this move)

Final Smash: Meta/Omega Ridley

BTW there are 10 more pages from the last time I went here (and it was yesterday) ... what happened ?

For now at least.
Another detractor maybe?

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Read the last several pages. He was crushed, but considering tons were up against him, the odds weren't very good.
there are too many pages (13!!!) ... but I can read a random one ... just to laugh :laugh:

BTW .... I had a strange smash-related dream ...
I was watching the SSB4 E3 tournament when the "challenger approaching" came out after the last battle
It was Chrom and then there was his trailer ...
but suddently Hogwards appeared and it was after Deatly Hallows events (so the school was ... broken)
At first I thought they were going to reveal Harry Potter (and I was very disappointed) but then they showed who was "fixing" the school and ...
PROFESSOR LAYTON SOLVES THE BATTLE !!! (I was very excited because I want him)
Then Masahiro explained that he showed Hogwards and Harry Potter because they were British and Layton is British too.
I should stop taking drugs before sleeping ... :psycho:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Standard Special
:

Up Special
Dragon Flight:

Side Special

Down Special

You make me aware of how rildey's case is smiler to the Paper Mario one. Good potential but overshadowed because of irrelevant arguments (thankfully, with all the controversy that ridley has, he has a lot of attention).

D

Deleted member

Since Shinru202 made his moveset, I'll make mine:
He has 4 jumps, no gliding/hover mechanic(I'll explain why later), never goes into helpless state, good air game and specials have different effects mid-air
Neutral B: Fire Ball(or whatever name is better, like)/Napalm Fire Ball

Hold B to keep releasing them, if it hits the ground while they are used in air, causes a small explosion just like in SM battles

Side B: Dragon Claw(had the idea from Koopa Claw)

Kinda like C.Falcon/Ganondorf's side B, but after it connects, Ridley drags the opponent in the ground(just like he does in the wall in OM), if used in air, it's a suicidal move that launches Ridley and the opponent until they hit the ground

Down B: Wind Gust(couldn't find the right pic, but you know what it is)

Just like the F.L.U.D.D., it causes knockback only, if used in air, it will have meteor smash effect on anyone under him

Up B: Draco flight

Yes, it's a Pit pic, it would work the same way as Brawl Pit

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
there are too many pages (13!!!) ... but I can read a random one ... just to laugh :laugh:

BTW .... I had a strange smash-related dream ...
I was watching the SSB4 E3 tournament when the "challenger approaching" came out after the last battle
It was Chrom and then there was his trailer ...
but suddently Hogwards appeared and it was after Deatly Hallows events (so the school was ... broken)
At first I thought they were going to reveal Harry Potter (and I was very disappointed) but then they showed who was "fixing" the school and ...
PROFESSOR LAYTON SOLVES THE BATTLE !!! (I was very excited because I want him)
Then Masahiro explained that he showed Hogwards and Harry Potter because they were British and Layton is British too.
I should stop taking drugs before sleeping ... :psycho:
Oh, sorry, wasn't referring to you.
If only (Red) and (REEd) had different spelling.
Nice dream...?

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman
(Finishes catching up with WHAT just happened yesterday)

Err..................................................wow, just...................................:dizzy: NOT gonna say anything really ._.

Other than, damn..............................

ANYWAYS, which place at E3 would you guys think if Ridley will get announced? Either at the tournament, or in the direct, or even on the show floor like
when Wii fit trainer got announced at?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Err..................................................wow, just...................................:dizzy: NOT gonna say anything really ._.

ANYWAYS, which place at E3 would you guys think if Ridley will get announced? Either at the tournament, or in the direct, or even on the show floor like
The tournament would be really nice, considering that Mew2King himself is a Ridley supporter.

D

Deleted member

I think that during that Smash presentation, Direct is place for Chrom/Palutena.
Btw, have they confirmed how long this Smash thing will be, wanna know if I can jump on the hype train already

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Allow me to help with the size comparisons by providing sprites of Samus and Ridley from various games. Should be useful. (Warning: Too Big)
[collapse=Metroid]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Super Metroid]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Metroid Fusion]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Zero Mission]

[/collapse]

Last edited:

Malle

Smash Apprentice
http://www.p4rgaming.com/masahiro-s...-killing-myself-would-be-the-cowards-way-out/

“Don’t even get me started on the fans,” warned Sakurai, “Smash Bros. fans are the most insane, overzealous people you will ever meet in your life. I don’t care for them, yet I will still make the best game possible because if I don’t, I will have let myself down. I don’t make this game for anyone but myself. I’ll admit that the person who can tolerate listening to these people is stronger than me. But if there is a person like that in this world, they should work on something more important than a video game.”

HEHE.
He knows what's comin'!

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman
1.I think that during that Smash presentation, Direct is place for Chrom/Palutena.
2.Btw, have they confirmed how long this Smash thing will be, wanna know if I can jump on the hype train already
1.Agreed, Palutena and Chrom seem likely for the direct.

2.Have no idea about that right now :facepalm:

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't know, I could just as easily imagine that it's simply a shadow of Ridley's feet and tail, distorted in such a way that it resembles Pikachu. The elevation on the floor would also explain the resemblance to Pikachu's lightning bolt tail as well as the thickness. In fact, Ridley not picking up Pikachu would explain questions like "where did Pikachu go" and "why did neither Ridley or Pikachu struggle? I honestly think it's just an illusion, and that Ridley never grabbed Pikachu to begin with.
What convinces me it's a grab is the gap between the ears and the titular Space Dragon. I'm not sure any distortions can make that shape.

Also, while I agree that the uneven floor does zigzag the tail, Ridley's tail is VERY thin, bordering on ropelike. And while it does get thicker at the tip, the shadow of the tail is missing the "hilt" of the tail tip introduced in Other M.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
http://www.p4rgaming.com/masahiro-s...-killing-myself-would-be-the-cowards-way-out/

“Don’t even get me started on the fans,” warned Sakurai, “Smash Bros. fans are the most insane, overzealous people you will ever meet in your life. I don’t care for them, yet I will still make the best game possible because if I don’t, I will have let myself down. I don’t make this game for anyone but myself. I’ll admit that the person who can tolerate listening to these people is stronger than me. But if there is a person like that in this world, they should work on something more important than a video game.”

HEHE.
He knows what's comin'!
Tell me this is a satire article.

Please.

TheNin10doUltra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nin10doUltra
3DS FC
0259-0299-7386

HEHE.
He knows what's comin'!
That's not even real...:facepalm:

Top Bottom