• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Obviously it is satire, was just making a fun point regarding Ridley's inclusion.
But anyway, I am quite confident that we'll be surprised at E3, in a good way :)

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Okay, I've been thinking up a brand new moveset for Ridley that I had never even considered after listening to a couple people here. Like a bunch of other newcomers introduced, Ridley will have an unusual fighting mechanic that will set him apart from other fighters:

Infinite flight.

I'm currently working on how it would be balanced, so I should have a diagram, ideally a Specials moveset up in a couple hours.

The basic principle is a weak groundgame and an unparalleled airgame. I'll explain later.

D

Deleted member

(Finishes catching up with WHAT just happened yesterday)

Err..................................................wow, just...................................:dizzy: NOT gonna say anything really ._.

Other than, damn..............................

ANYWAYS, which place at E3 would you guys think if Ridley will get announced? Either at the tournament, or in the direct, or even on the show floor like
when Wii fit trainer got announced at?
I would be fine with a reveal during the tournament, but I feel like it would be more likely at the beginning or end of the Smash direct in keeping with the trend that Sakurai/Nintendo have followed with newcomer reveal trailers in the past.

But again, considering the large volume of Smash content we're getting at E3, we could get one trailer during the tournament and one during the direct, or two in the direct and none during the tournament and vice-versa.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Guys I had a crazy dream last night (After I'd randomly woken and looked at the POTD too) that I woke up and looked at the website to see a Ridley reveal. Smashboards just ****ing broke. It was an enormous eruption of Love and Hate reactions.

It was glorious. I was so freaking sad when I woke up and remembered that the website was just alt colors today

D

Deleted member

I would be fine with a reveal during the tournament, but I feel like it would be more likely at the beginning or end of the Smash direct in keeping with the trend that Sakurai/Nintendo have followed with newcomer reveal trailers in the past.

But again, considering the large volume of Smash content we're getting at E3, we could get one trailer during the tournament and one during the direct, or two in the direct and none during the tournament and vice-versa.
I think a tournament reveal is likely:
1- The winner of the tournament get's the Challenger Approaching! screen just like in Mega Man's trailer, after it, Ridley's trailer is played
2- The winner fights Sakurai(which will use Ridley)
3- Mew2King is a Ridley supporter
4- We all know Mew2King is going to win :cool:
5- There will be 3000 watching everything there

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Yes and no.

I was using low-quality gfycats before, so I didn't see it, but one can see the thicker tail, round body, and pointy ears here as opposed to Ridley's rope-like tail.

So, yes, because its unlikely any amount of shadow distortions can make that shape.

And no, it's not wrong, because I would expect a boss as savage and awe-inspiring as Ridley to eat Pikachu or something, not lazily idle so much that its easy to assume Pikachu's not there.

[Pictures]

I might be wrong, but do these feet look articulate enough to grab people?
Besides, Brawl kinda solidified Ridley's tendency to use his arms to grab people. But maybe they are going the retro direction with the feet.
Responding to the feet part, if Sakurai used Brawl Ridley's feet over OtherM Ridley's, Id say they'd work. Parrots and birds of prey have fingers and talons like those, and some are known for carrying prey just like Ridley does in this game, if he is actually carrying Pikachu of course.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Tell me this is a satire article.

Please.
It is, but to be honest I wouldn't mind at all if that article was genuine. I could forgive him for some of his faults if he was totally aware of what was going on in the extremely chaotic Smash fandom.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Listen; I like you fine.

But no. In that article, Sakurai was a pretentious jerk.
Maybe it's because I'm a jaded person. I got some laughs out of that article, but I can understand why you didn't like it.

I think we're getting off-topic here.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think Ridley's Final Smash should be a "trapping-style" attack, like Ike's or Villager's. He could capture one or two unfortunate players and then, in a cutscene like Captain Falcon's FS, grind them against the walls of Pyrosphere before blasting them with his signature plasma breath.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So Nintendo put out this survey about the Invitational:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HPMRWQ9

The last question is "Who is your favorite Super Smash Bros. character?"

Let's all be "that guy" and answer with "Ridley." :troll:
Done.

1: Do you know about Invitational tournament?
Yes.

2: Are you going?
No. I live across the friggin' country.

3: How many friends will you bring?
I have no friends.

4: How far do you need to travel to go?
The diameter of the United States.

5: Who is you're favorite character?
Ridley. Now put him in.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Ridley doesn't need a final smash.

His sheer unadulterated awesomeness will instantly win him all matches regardless of who he fights. :troll:

But in seriousness, a simple nuclear fireball like he does in the Other M fight would be the best I could generate that's not Omega Ridley or a Space Pirate Raid.

On the subject of the satire article, I knew from the moment it said "I don’t care for them(the fans)" it was fake. I'm pretty sure Sakurai cares about the Smash fandom, as he listened to multiple requests like Megaman and giving DK his roll. Also, Sakurai's a nice guy, I doubt he would be that much of an ass hat.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Agreed.

We still have yet to come to a consensus about what Ridley's Final Smash should be.
Wasn't another power of Ridley's emitting a frequency that drives alien creatures into a frenzy? Other than a Space Pirate raid, those are the only Final Smashes I can think of.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Let me see if i got a moveset down hope you like it

(Ps doing the same techniquie that @ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt did for his)

Lets start with specials

Normal special: fire breath/fireball
This is a 2 in 1 special a charge version, and a version like Charizard and bowsers normal special.

When you tap special button = charges a fireball just like the series of how to start a charge shot, on the no full charge levels it just shots a fireball and impacts like anyother barely any knockback attack,(except the nearly fully charged area of this ofcoarse.)

But fully charged impact of the fireball will add a explosion for a great knockback, the explosion strength of the knockback is about the same as any other explosives (land mines, bomb-ombs)

When you hold down the special it does a flamethrower move like Charizards normal special, and if you charged up a fireball earlier the flame will reach further, however it will drain the charge when you us flamethrower with a charge.

Aerial version of the charge shot
The flame thrower version stays the same.

The charge up version is he shoots to the ground but is a garaenteed explosion (knockback not as strong as fully charge on ground.) Except the almost fully charged version knockback just less accurate, now when fully charge not just a explosion but adds a shock wave, (it looks just like in the other m ridley fight check the next spoiler box for magic number in the video for a view of it,) and Ofcoarse not as big as the one in the video

Flamethrower
6:46 = what the hold down version looks like.
6:25 thats pretty close of what it would look like if you charged up a little bit.

5:20 = charge up version in the air at full charge.
And for ground same as above except foeard and not toward the ground and no shockwave.

Side special: his dash grab move

How this works is simular to bowsers but a dash version, i have a few options for this. (tell me which one ypu like best.)
A1: if a successful grab he flys up then quick goes back down in a slam like form. (Not like bowsers its more like he puts the character in his foot.)

B1: he flys up then does a fire breath on them then drops them

C1: this one is better for a final smash (its later down) but hos classic wall grind move that he does.

6:31 : thats what it looks like for a attempted grab (6:05 thats how slow the lunge would be if he was near the edge)

5:52: thats what A1 looks like except the character he grabbed in his foot.

And in this video

1:09 thats C1 but then dropping them.

1:13 (same video as the one above) thats almost B1 except his mouth would open up and do a flamthrower more instataniously.

Down special : tail whip
Im pretty sure you knw how a tail whip works but this is how ridleys would work in my opinion.

On the non talon area of his tail less than 7% damage and no knockback.

But if its the talon area it does even better damage with a slash included with a good knockback.

In the air its more like in the other ridley fight when hes in the air but its accuracy is not very good in the air but slightly guided, but the damage and knockback strength as it goes of the air version, lets just say it can break a character shield in 1 hit.

(Back to the orginal video i used for this above thr begining of the post.)

5:54: thats what the tail whip would look like on the ground

6:39 thats the air version.

(Alternate down special)
5:43: that mode except he can't move and it will turn of when you let go of down special (aka just like foxes barrier and pits version as well.)

Up special: flight

Plain and simple its R.O.B up special except a wing flapping version. (duriation is the same as R.O.B flight time with it)
And I'm pretty sure you do not need to look far in the video for what Up special looks like.

Coming soon

Part 2 ---- neutral and smash attacks

Part 3 -----
final smash and taunts

Part 4 ---- grabs and walk animations and aerials

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
His final smash would probably be his skin hardening, infinite flight, and dropping giant exploding on the stage I'd imagine. Something sort of like a more controllable version of Diddy Kong's final smash. Sort of? Kind of similar to that. That's what I'm seeing.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
His final smash would probably be his skin hardening, infinite flight, and dropping giant exploding on the stage I'd imagine. Something sort of like a more controllable version of Diddy Kong's final smash. Sort of? Kind of similar to that. That's what I'm seeing.
Going off that idea- what if infinite flight is his final smash and he was using that in the shadow clip?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
http://www.p4rgaming.com/masahiro-s...-killing-myself-would-be-the-cowards-way-out/

“Don’t even get me started on the fans,” warned Sakurai, “Smash Bros. fans are the most insane, overzealous people you will ever meet in your life. I don’t care for them, yet I will still make the best game possible because if I don’t, I will have let myself down. I don’t make this game for anyone but myself. I’ll admit that the person who can tolerate listening to these people is stronger than me. But if there is a person like that in this world, they should work on something more important than a video game.”

HEHE.
He knows what's comin'!
That is fake right?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I don't care if this is canon or not.

I want Ridley's final smash to be him growing to a huge size, or "Too Big," persay.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It is, but to be honest I wouldn't mind at all if that article was genuine. I could forgive him for some of his faults if he was totally aware of what was going on in the extremely chaotic Smash fandom.
Same here. My first thoughts on that page were "Man if this was real, he would've gotten a lot more respect from me despite what wanted characters he may not include in the roster or w/e".

For the kind of satirical site that is though, I wouldn't be surprised if it was also the same place that made the page about Sakamoto saying "Didn't like Other M because of Samus's portrayal? Well how about I make a game with Adam as the playable protagonist next?" or something along those lines, which people actually found believable because of their hatred for him. :facepalm:

More on topic, hypothetical talk but how much creative liberty do you think would be taken or would like to see with Sakurai making a Ridley moveset? A lot of us may think we'd have a playable Ridley all figured out with all the fan-made movesets I/we have seen or made over the years, but I still think creative liberty with some of his moves would be a nice surprise, like the now infamous wall-scraping move was for its time even though he wasn't playable in Brawl. With the creative liberties Sakurai's had to take with other characters due to some not having enough source material to draw from for a moveset, I guess I'm just convinced he'd make some awesome original techniques for Ridley.

Lately I still seem to miss the worst **** that goes down here when it's happening (not that I'm complaining), but shame on you Hotfeet for unwittingly bringing that one dude back here. Let's not make that a habit out of every detractor you come across or feel like talking about. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Same here. My first thoughts on that page were "Man if this was real, he would've gotten a lot more respect from me despite what wanted characters he may not include in the roster or w/e".

More on topic, hypothetical talk but how much creative liberty do you think would be taken or would like to see with Sakurai making a Ridley moveset? A lot of us may think we'd have a playable Ridley all figured out with all the fan-made movesets I/we have seen or made over the years, but I still think creative liberty with some of his moves would be a nice surprise, like the now infamous wall-scraping move was for its time even though he wasn't playable in Brawl. With the creative liberties Sakurai's had to take with other characters due to some not having enough source material to draw from for a moveset, I guess I'm just convinced he'd make some awesome original techniques for Ridley.

Lately I still seem to miss the worst **** that goes down here when it's happening (not that I'm complaining), but shame on you Hotfeet for unwittingly bringing that one dude back here. Let's not make that a habit out of every detractor you come across or feel like talking about. :p
Since the wall-grinding move has become synonymous with Ridley, I would think it would be really cool if they could incorporate it universally as part of Ridley's moveset instead of it just being contextual to Pyrosphere and other Metroid Stages. I was thinking something like maybe his down or forward throw has him grinding the opponent along the ground dealing multiple hits and damage. Or perhaps if we're going off the idea of Ridley having his own variation of Bowser's Koopa Klaw, maybe this floor-grinding attack could be a part of the forward command throw of his Side-B?

EDIT: I would actually think it would make more sense as his Side-B forward command throw as opposed to a normal forward or down throw now since logically he would be moving a certain horizontal distance in order to grind the opponent along the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I always thought the wall-grinding could make a good Final Smash.

D

Deleted member

I always thought the wall-grinding could make a good Final Smash.
I also think it could work, but if his wall grinding is his final smash, I feel it could be somewhat awkward looking if it is similar to Captain Falcon's or Ike's in which he can entrap multiple characters at once simply because his claws are big enough to hold a character such as Samus, yet when he is holding Samus she seems to fill his claw to the point where he wouldn't be able to hold another person in the one claw such that it would look natural, if that makes sense.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Wall grinding could be a problem in levels that have no walls, like he Spirit Tracks Train level for example.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Wall grinding could be a problem in levels that have no walls, like he Spirit Tracks Train level for example.
It could be in a cutscene like Captain Falcon's FS, where Ridley takes the unfortunate players to Pyrosphere where he grinds them against its walls.

Top Bottom