• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Quick question, what type of weapons does the Galactic Federation use? I need some source material and am too lazy to look up stuff.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
space pirates the page 666 is approaching
666 is an evil number
Ridley is evil
we have to do something special in that page to celebrate our lord's favourite number/page :evil:

I think that every post in that page should have a Ridley gif ... something like :

or

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Since there is nothing to talk about, I'm going to a little off topic. It's Metroid related so it's not that bad. I recently finished the Trilogy edition of Echoes for the second time, and realized just how much I like the music that plays during the final battle. Especially how it incorporates the title theme of the game into the melody. I REALLY like when games do this for some reason. I was wondering if there were any other songs that do this. I know a few such as Magmoor=LowerNorfair, SubTorvus=LowerBrinstar, TallonOverworld=Brinstar(IIRC?), GreenBrinstar=EchoesMultiplayer(can't remember the name of the song), PirateHomeworld=SpacePirates(SM), and even Phendrana=Arcterra(Hunters). Of course there is the obvious usage of the same title screen music in several games, along with Samus' theme, Ridley's theme (of course;)), and the entrance and item jingles. But are there any other songs that reference other songs within the series, and if not, what songs would you like to see from the series represented in Smash?
Gandrayda's Battle Theme = Chykka's Theme (mainly Adult Chykka)

Xhampi

Smash Lord
space pirates the page 666 is approaching
666 is an evil number
Ridley is evil
we have to do something special in that page to celebrate our lord's favourite number/page :evil:

I think that every post in that page should have a Ridley gif ... something like :

or
The space pirates anthem is ready :

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I can see things in the E3 going like these
Sakurai: Now I want to talk about a new mechanic in the game, as you can see characters like Yellow devil or the dark emperor will act like stage hazards that you can beat and the player that beat them will get a bonus, now I'll talk about that (shows the shadow ridley footage but we see hear ridley knocking pikachu like a playable character does), but first, let me talk about one of my favorite newcomer, Ridley (shows ridley trailer)
Also about "Ridley being shown in the boss section" Ridey was not shown in the boss section but the yellow devil's section, otherwise he would have explained the Dark Emperor for the find mii stage

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
The space pirates anthem is ready :

I can't stop laughing :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

SOMEONE MUST REWRITE THE LYRIC OF THIS SONG BUT THIS TIME USING RIDLEY'S AND KRAID'S AND ZEBESIANS' AND OTHER BAD SPACE PIRATES GUYS' NAMES INSTEAD OF THE NAMES WHICH APPEARED IN THAT SONG

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Also about "Ridley being shown in the boss section" Ridey was not shown in the boss section but the yellow devil's section, otherwise he would have explained the Dark Emperor for the find mii stage
The fact that he didn't go into detail about anyone else just really means he decided not to go into detail and reveal more at that time. Ridley's shadow appeared during him talking about that other stages will have boss appearance, regardless of whether you feel that does effects Ridley chances, it's kind of hard to deny that he was vague shown in the 'boss section' as the whole point of the Yellow Devil section was to talk about boss characters just using the Yellow Devil as a single example.

D

Deleted member

I've been discussing with some "toobigots" recently, they keep saying to take Sakurai's word at literal *sigh* let's do it:
Boss characters(Ridley) make appearences in other stages, not just this one(other stages, not just Pyrosphere)
Translating:
Ridley make appearences in other stages, not just Pyrosphere
Sakurai would say that after revealing him

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
well I think it's decided ;)
page 666 will be the "stupid&funny space pirates' & ridley's memes & that beautiful song" page
:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

majora_787

Smash Hero
The fact that he didn't go into detail about anyone else just really means he decided not to go into detail and reveal more at that time. Ridley's shadow appeared during him talking about that other stages will have boss appearance, regardless of whether you feel that does effects Ridley chances, it's kind of hard to deny that he was vague shown in the 'boss section' as the whole point of the Yellow Devil section was to talk about boss characters just using the Yellow Devil as a single example.
It's pretty hard to deny, especially with all of the bosses he talked about. Except for the part where the Yellow Devil section literally only covered Yellow Devil 100% exclusively, did not mention any other bosses in any way shape or form until the very end where he made a vague statement that there were other bosses on other stages. Other than the obvious facts, you're totally right, Yellow Devil section was definitely the boss section where Sakurai talked about bosses in general.

Basically what I'm saying is, you're trying too hard.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Does anyone know what the Japanese wording of that portion of the direct was? Could've been a translation thing...?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's pretty hard to deny, especially with all of the bosses he talked about. Except for the part where the Yellow Devil section literally only covered Yellow Devil 100% exclusively, did not mention any other bosses in any way shape or form until the very end where he made a vague statement that there were other bosses on other stages. Other than the obvious facts, you're totally right, Yellow Devil section was definitely the boss section where Sakurai talked about bosses in general.

Basically what I'm saying is, you're trying too hard.
Not really any harder then anyone else in this thread does to justify their points on a regular basis in this thread. My point was a dismissal of the logic of the post I responded to, nothing more.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
OK I made these so we can compare the flapping
"Charizard"

"Ridley" (ssb4).

"Ridley(s)" (brawl)

( I made the gifs myself.)

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In reality, Ridley's Brawl boss appearance matches the flapping more than Charizard does.

But Boss Ridley moves faster overall (faster than Smash 4 Ridley that is).

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
You know... why NOT have playable boss characters? Another category of playable characters sounds interesting.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
In reality, Ridley's Brawl boss appearance matches the flapping more than Charizard does.

But Boss Ridley moves faster overall (faster than Smash 4 Ridley that is).
Its not the speed of the flapping.

The brawl ridleys have no jerking in they're wings flapping the shadow flapping is jerking simular to Charizard.

But yes, thats because its set to intense mode on the brawl ridley fights.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
You know... why NOT have playable boss characters? Another category of playable characters sounds interesting.
I'm pretty confident that a mode where a player with the gamepad takes control of a stage boss will be the Wii U's answer to smash run.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Even Charizard's flapping is more even and smooth than Smash 4 Ridley's is. It just screams unfinished to me.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Thats the problem I'm sick of settling for good. I want an awesome roster....
Brawl had an awesome newcomer cast. There were only a few obscurities, it was mainly dominated by requested characters that people actually asked for, characters worthy of being called Nintendo All-Stars.

If the roster is at least the Brawl roster + Newcomers I'll still think it's good, but I agree that the current newcomer pool + the Gematsu leak is very weak in comparison to Brawl's. It really needs a bigshot like K. Rool or Ridley in order for it to even try and match it.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Didn't S.O.B. literally just make one (in spoiler)?
Well yeah, but even more perfect. As in, the beats of the wings and the swinging of the tail have such a perfect rhythm that the only way you could tell the GIF was looping was the background changing.

You can see the jump in the shadow when the gif ends.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well yeah, but even more perfect. As in, the beats of the wings and the swinging of the tail have such a perfect rhythm that the only way you could tell the GIF was looping was the background changing.

You can see the jump in the shadow when the gif ends.
I could change to ping pong version, so it goes backwards as well.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
This has been done before in fighting games, plenty of times, actually.
Smash Bros. has been taking from other fighting games lately, especially with Rosalina and Luma's shadow-fighter style. Could you show some examples? I don't have any that come to mind.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
OK I made these so we can compare the flapping
"Charizard"

"Ridley" (ssb4).

"Ridley(s)" (brawl)

( I made the gifs myself.)
Yeah like I said before Ridley has big wings but he doesn't extend them all the way out when flying like he did in Brawl... like they were made that way on purpose so he wouldn't take up a ton of space but why do that for a boss character with a planned stage environment? Seems like something they would do to make him playable to avoid alot of clipping. (Through platforms and so on)

I still personally think this shadow Ridley is our playable Ridley. His half flapping, small shadow, and jerky movements and everything else just all adds up to it imo. Can't wait to see if I'm wrong or right.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Smash Bros. has been taking from other fighting games lately, especially with Rosalina and Luma's shadow-fighter style. Could you show some examples? I don't have any that come to mind.
Shao Khan / Goro in Mortal Kombat.
Ramlethal Valentine in Guilty Gear.
The entire villain side of the roster in Final Fantasy Dissidia.
Algol in Soul Calibur.
Akuma / Oni / M. Bison in Street Fighter.

I'm sure there's more, but I feel like those are more examples than probably needed.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
All I'm saying is that he has about as much chance now as a second Sonic rep - UBER UNLIKELY, and I never thought he'd make it anyway - and I also did not say anything about the too big argument as that's total crap. Sakurai is a smart cookie, but I don't think he would want to do Ridley this time if he hasn't done him before now. He SHOULD have been in Brawl but instead we got 2 Samuses. He also cut Mewtwo, a deserving character, and he doesn't want to please American fans as much as Japanese fans, Japan doesn't want Ridley as much as we do (I use American and Japanese to insinuate Western and Eastern audiences, BTW.)
And were are you getting these conclusions/probabilities from?

If your saying he as much chance as a 2nd sonic rep i guess hes confirmed ''Shadow' Ridley (troll face

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Even Charizard's flapping is more even and smooth than Smash 4 Ridley's is. It just screams unfinished to me.
This raises the question though, was Ridley legitimately not in a presentable state at the time of the Direct? And this isn't even looking at the notion from a playable vs hazard standpoint, just purely wondering if he's being worked on late in the development cycle, at least for the Wii U version assuming he is in the roster and thus appears in both games. Given how much later the Wii U version is coming out, it wouldn't be too sketchy of an idea, regardless of Ridley's true fate.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This raises the question though, was Ridley legitimately not in a presentable state at the time of the Direct? And this isn't even looking at the notion from a playable vs hazard standpoint, just purely wondering if he's being worked on late in the development cycle, at least for the Wii U version assuming he is in the roster and thus appears in both games. Given how much later the Wii U version is coming out, it wouldn't be too sketchy of an idea, regardless of Ridley's true fate.
Exactly

And also @ OblivionWolf OblivionWolf did mention if he was a boss he would have ben finished way before and show his whole body.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Shao Khan / Goro in Mortal Kombat.
Ramlethal Valentine in Guilty Gear.
The entire villain side of the roster in Final Fantasy Dissidia.
Algol in Soul Calibur.
Akuma / Oni / M. Bison in Street Fighter.

I'm sure there's more, but I feel like those are more examples than probably needed.
I guess I was thinking about boss characters that are vastly different than normal fighters. Akuma is a beast in Street Fighter, but playable characters in Street Fighter don't scream out boss that much... Bosses that aren't even with normal playable characters, I suppose.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, where you could play as PTX-40A or Gold Lightan, worth two normal fighters. Heck, even the mods to play as Smash Bros. bosses have the same feel.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone know what the Japanese wording of that portion of the direct was? Could've been a translation thing...?
他にもボスキャラ系の仕掛けが登場

Roughly translates to "Other boss character system gimmicks come up". ....someone like @Venus of the Desert Bloom will have to make more sense of it.
As for what Sakurai said, I'm working on that now.

Top Bottom