• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
他にもボスキャラ系の仕掛けが登場

Roughly translates to "Other boss character system gimmicks come up". ....someone like @Venus of the Desert Bloom will have to make more sense of it.
As for what Sakurai said, I'm working on that now.
Nice to know. Doesn't really give immediate results as to Ridley's fate, but interesting information nonetheless. Good work.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I guess I was thinking about boss characters that are vastly different than normal fighters. Akuma is a beast in Street Fighter, but playable characters in Street Fighter don't scream out boss that much... Bosses that aren't even with normal playable characters, I suppose.
I figured you meant boss characters that eventually became playable fighters, which all of those on the list technically do. Characters like PTX and Gold Lightan worked in their respective games 'cause you can PLAY two characters. That sort of thing wouldn't fly too well in Smash, I'd imagine. There's a reason why Giga Bowser is a Final Smash and Master/Crazy Hand are both unplayable without cheat codes/glitches.

D

Deleted member

I thought the reason why Master Hand/Crazy Hand weren't playable was because they don't function properly as characters?

As for Giga Bowser, he wasn't that broken to play as in Melee. If anything, he was more of a novelty since he was a big target.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hopefully the balance between "joke" characters and popular choices will be evened out by E3.
Well..tbh....i believe the Sal leak even though i hate its guts...but there is a balance in it.

Greninja wasent requested much but is well recieved from what i know plus I strongly think Mewtwo will return so he would go in the ''Requested pile'' though ima just stick to the content of the leak and whats confirmed so far.

Not Requested:
WFT
Chorus men
Villager
Rosalina
Mii

Requested:
Liittle Mac
Megaman
Chrom
Shulk
Palutena
Mewtwo

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I thought the reason why Master Hand/Crazy Hand weren't playable was because they don't function properly as characters?

As for Giga Bowser, he wasn't that broken to play as in Melee. If anything, he was more of a novelty since he was a big target.
From what I've seen, Master/Crazy Hand both act like normal characters in that all their attacks are bound to legitimate buttons. If you glitch/AR them into play, in most cases, you can't LOSE because, if I remember correctly, they don't have HP values and don't suffer knockback. I always just figured they weren't playable 'cause they were never really meant to be playable.

Yeah, Giga Bowser is more a novelty, but even then he could still do some crazy damage and stuff.

D

Deleted member

From what I've seen, Master/Crazy Hand both act like normal characters in that all their attacks are bound to legitimate buttons. If you glitch/AR them into play, in most cases, you can't LOSE because, if I remember correctly, they don't have HP values and don't suffer knockback. I always just figured they weren't playable 'cause they were never really meant to be playable.

Yeah, Giga Bowser is more a novelty, but even then he could still do some crazy damage and stuff.
That still doesn't mean they function properly as characters.
The Hands were specifically designed to target P1 and are designed based around Final Destination's parameters. The only other stage (that I can recall) that they can work with decently is Battlefield due to being almost as simplistic with only the lasers being interfered with due to the platforms.

And while Giga Bowser could still do crazy damage, it was balanced out (or perhaps balanced against him) by other characters being able to assault him without a chance for counterattack, making him a giant punch-bag that could strike back if given the chance.

Xigger

Smash Lord
@GoldenYuiitusin @ ChunkyBeef ChunkyBeef that's what I'm getting at: playable boss characters that don't function as normal playable characters, and not exactly like player-controlled CPU bosses either. Giga Bowser is a giant punching-punching-bag, and Master Hand is a CPU controlled by a person, but new characters can be... well, new.

Why restrain ourselves to only the ideals for normal characters? Interesting choices like making Ridley a playable boss character seem much better than forcing him into the normal playable role, even if it's not the norm. This new Smash Bros is all about breaking the mold.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
A Playable Boss that can potentially show up on any stage but only shows up if you pick him on the character select screen where everyone else is, perfect.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Truly a match made in Pyrosphere Heaven
Made by RagnorokX from GAF.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I don't think Mewtwo's gonna make it, to be frank. I like him, but I think he might just have to move on
So, the one Pokemon who was already popular enough since the begining, who's being advertised like hell as of recently, hails from a company that likes to promote their current poster boys into the current Smash game, has already appeared in Smash, and whose reintroduction has been most desired by fans, has no chance of returning.

Makes sense I guess.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Why are his wings moving in such a spastic way?

Also, he looks like he's rocking back and forth. It looks more like a Mutalisk than a space pterosaur.

Hahahahaha its so ridiculous looking but yeah Ridley never use to fly like this in Other M from what I remember. Its clearly to save space.

Shadow Ridley has alittle bit of an odd circular motion like rowing a boat. I'm so positive this his playable models shadow. Man I'm gonna look real silly if I end up wrong. If there was betting I'd put some money on it. xD

Maybe someone can get some clips of Ridley flying in Other M to compare....

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
So, the one Pokemon who was already popular enough since the begining, who's being advertised like hell as of recently, hails from a company that likes to promote their current poster boys into the current Smash game, has already appeared in Smash, and whose reintroduction has been most desired by fans, has no chance of returning.

Makes sense I guess.
To be fair, he didn't say "no chance of returning" just, "don't think he will" which is more along the lines of "probably won't" which isn't the same thing.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
@Wariofan1
I agree. Brawl's roster/Newcomer selection was fantastic. Something about the current Newcomer selection besides Mega Man, is off. The current Newcomer selection needs Ridley, Mewtwo and K. Rool to save it.

@Luigi#1
I wouldn't use Little Mac as evidence that Sakurai will include Ridley. Little Mac could be Sakurai's excuse not to include a 2nd western demanded character and way of saying "Hey, I've included one western requested character. You can't get them all" You would instead be helping his case by that logic. I really don't see Sakurai including 2 western fan favorites.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

Makes sense I guess.
I'm not saying he has no chance, I'm just saying that I personally don't think he's going to make it in. I'm probably wrong, and I would love if Mewtwo returns, but I have doubts.

Anyways, Ridley. Almost 666 pages! We can do it!

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
@Wariofan1
I agree. Brawl's roster/Newcomer selection was fantastic. Something about the current Newcomer selection besides Mega Man, is off. The current Newcomer selection needs Ridley, Mewtwo and K. Rool to save it.

@Luigi#1
I wouldn't use Little Mac as evidence that Sakurai will include Ridley. Little Mac could be Sakurai's excuse not to include a 2nd western demanded character and way of saying "Hey, I've included one western requested character. You can't get them all" You would instead be helping his case by that logic. I really don't see Sakurai including 2 western fan favorites.
You gotta realize the West is where the money is at. Sakurai should be kissing up to us.

If he was only gonna add one Western loved character it should be Ridley over Little Mac for a number of reasons. Heck Japan hated Little Mac and I know they would prefer Ridley too.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Truly a match made in Pyrosphere Heaven
Made by RagnorokX from GAF.
From the looks of things, it seems that Sakurai haunts Ridley's dreams every now and then.

Makes sense.

D

Deleted member

You gotta realize the West is where the money is at. Sakurai should be kissing up to us.

If he was only gonna add one Western loved character it should be Ridley over Little Mac for a number of reasons. Heck Japan hated Little Mac and I know they would prefer Ridley too.
Honestly Little Mac is as deserving as Ridley, he's a character that was highly requested in the west and tons of people are happy to see him in, not to mention his series is a big part of Nintendo's history, and the recent reboot was successful. And it's debatable whether or not Japan would be more happy for Ridley than Mac, it might even be the same reception (minus the "who the hell is this" comments). Not to say I'm against Ridley by any means, I'm just saying that while Ridley is hugely popular and Metroid is in dire need of more representation, Mac is from an up until now unrepped series and has a big following.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hahahahaha its so ridiculous looking but yeah Ridley never use to fly like this in Other M from what I remember. Its clearly to save space.

Shadow Ridley has alittle bit of an odd circular motion like rowing a boat. I'm so positive this his playable models shadow. Man I'm gonna look real silly if I end up wrong. If there was betting I'd put some money on it. xD

Maybe someone can get some clips of Ridley flying in Other M to compare....
Im sure he weird animation is probably just because pikachu is in his foot, which would be spooky because pikachu would not make his aerial Dynamics like that, especially when pikachu was not in his foot hes not waving like that when he moves

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Im sure he weird animation is probably just because pikachu is in his foot, which would be spooky because pikachu would not make his aerial Dynamics like that, especially when pikachu was not in his foot hes not waving like that when he moves
I'll be honest, I think the crappy animation is the sole reason why we didn't get to see all of Ridley. They just wanted to tease us, and weren't ready to show us Ridley in ANY form, boss, playable, AT or otherwise. The normal consumer isn't going to go to the same lengths we are to see that the animation is awful.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
The fact that he didn't go into detail about anyone else just really means he decided not to go into detail and reveal more at that time. Ridley's shadow appeared during him talking about that other stages will have boss appearance, regardless of whether you feel that does effects Ridley chances, it's kind of hard to deny that he was vague shown in the 'boss section' as the whole point of the Yellow Devil section was to talk about boss characters just using the Yellow Devil as a single example.
I didn't know that a section called Yellow devil where Sakurai flat out said that he just wanted to play how the yellow devil works, the whole point of that section was to talk about the yellow devil, sakurai added the vague comment which in reality can also be intrepreteted in a different way

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Honestly Little Mac is as deserving as Ridley, he's a character that was highly requested in the west and tons of people are happy to see him in, not to mention his series is a big part of Nintendo's history, and the recent reboot was successful. And it's debatable whether or not Japan would be more happy for Ridley than Mac, it might even be the same reception (minus the "who the hell is this" comments). Not to say I'm against Ridley by any means, I'm just saying that while Ridley is hugely popular and Metroid is in dire need of more representation, Mac is from an up until now unrepped series and has a big following.
I'm bias leave me alone!!!!

Kidding aside I agree with you but no question the love for Ridley surpasses the love for Little Mac. I was just alittle confused with some people thinking "Oh Little Mac got in meaning he possible took Ridley's spot" thing was responding too. I just don't understand that logic...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'll be honest, I think the crappy animation is the sole reason why we didn't get to see all of Ridley. They just wanted to tease us, and weren't ready to show us Ridley in ANY form, boss, playable, AT or otherwise. The normal consumer isn't going to go to the same lengths we are to see that the animation is awful.
Thats where im concluded too about the shadow, just a tease for ridley but what role?

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I think that if Sakurai knew about Little Mac's popularity, he knows about Ridley's popularity. Ridley is a very popular newcomer, especially in the West. Even with basic research him and his team would know of Ridley's popularity.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Thats where im concluded too about the shadow, just a tease for ridley but what role?
There is just so much that gives it away he is playable to me.

When we are playing on Pyrosphere this is the view we will be seeing the game.

But here is what we get. The zoom and dem camera angles.....

Not only that but when you fight the Yellow Devil the platforms go away and im sure that happens with all bosses to avoid alot of ugly clipping and easily getting around the boss.....These angles are not only for hiding Ridley but there obviously hiding the platforms that I honestly believe are still there....

EDIT: Also notice the shadow of the platform under Zamus then look at the Ridley shadow pic again.....Its put PERFECTLY in an angle so we can't see that shadow of the platform.....Omg this is so freakin staged...

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I love these quotes. Anyways, what do the platforms have to do with Ridley?
My current theory is that to extend the illusion of Bossley, they made him land on the platform and jump, to make him look like he can fly forever.

Top Bottom