• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Morbi

Scavenger
All I'm saying is that he has about as much chance now as a second Sonic rep - UBER UNLIKELY, and I never thought he'd make it anyway - and I also did not say anything about the too big argument as that's total crap. Sakurai is a smart cookie, but I don't think he would want to do Ridley this time if he hasn't done him before now. He SHOULD have been in Brawl but instead we got 2 Samuses. He also cut Mewtwo, a deserving character, and he doesn't want to please American fans as much as Japanese fans, Japan doesn't want Ridley as much as we do (I use American and Japanese to insinuate Western and Eastern audiences, BTW.)
I can respect that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
All I'm saying is that he has about as much chance now as a second Sonic rep - UBER UNLIKELY, and I never thought he'd make it anyway - and I also did not say anything about the too big argument as that's total crap. Sakurai is a smart cookie, but I don't think he would want to do Ridley this time if he hasn't done him before now. He SHOULD have been in Brawl but instead we got 2 Samuses. He also cut Mewtwo, a deserving character, and he doesn't want to please American fans as much as Japanese fans, Japan doesn't want Ridley as much as we do (I use American and Japanese to insinuate Western and Eastern audiences, BTW.)
Much better.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Now your talking.
BUUUUUUT...
:4littlemac:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
What makes me annoyed is that a lot of Ridley fans are so blinded by bias that they can't accept it. He has about as much chance now as me winning a pie eating contest - all in all, I see about a 6% chance right now; and that's both being generous and assuming that Ridley and Other M Ridley are not the same being. I still stick to my guns and say he's not happening (Maybe in Smash 5) and that they'd use Other M Ridley if anything.

majora_787

Smash Hero
... Literally everyone is biased unless they utilize your exact perspective of "literally impossible"? Well that's super special.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I used to think of Ridley as on the same level as Petey Piranha or Boom-Boom or Gohma; A lackey or underling to the actual antagonist of Metroid, whether it be Mother Brain, Dark Samus or the X, serving his purpose as nothing more than a reoccurring boss.

Then the Pyrosphere was revealed for all to see, with absolutely NOTHING to speak of. Yeah, those gashes and tunnel no one would ever see is nice and everything, but what did the stage do besides act as a reskin for Battlefield? What makes it unique?

Then I noticed all the Ridley hints scattered throughout, and figured that Sakurai would just recycle him from Brawl. A bit of a downgrade, going from boss to stage hazard, but I could live with it.

So what was the holdup? Why hint at it without showing us what Ridley does?

Then Mario Galaxy was revealed, followed by Rosalina. And that was followed by the revelation that the Boxing Ring was Little Mac's stage all along. I put the pieces together, and realized that Sakurai might ascend Ridley from a boss to playable, like the former Assist Trophy Little Mac. And though I hadn't yet seen Other M and still thought of Ridley as a mere reoccurring boss, the idea of playing a Space Dragon that eats people's faces made me giddy.

Yeah, the Direct was crushing, but the Greninja reveal made me realize he foreshadowed a character again, this time with Lumiose City.

So either Sakurai is the single most tactless person ever for making me believe Ridley could have been so much more, or he has a general enough grasp on what people want to toy with our emotions. Like that Waluigi reveal, he seems almost apologetic to his fans.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
... Literally everyone is biased unless they utilize your exact perspective of "literally impossible"? Well that's super special.
Just saying, I know the majority of characters I want aren't getting in (I.E. - Sora, Rayman).

Now your talking.
BUUUUUUT...
:4littlemac:
I said he doesnt care about us as much. He's not that big of a Heartless ****

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Um.

Technically speaking, Ridley didn't really have a true, solid chace prior to this game. By Melee and 64, he was treated as just some lackey of Mother Brain, with no true significant role other than stealing the Metroid Hatchling back to Zebes. And in Brawl, while he got some more importance in the Metroid series, he had a lot of competition to go through against the likes of Diddy Kong, King Dedede and Wario. Now, with less "priority" characters in the way, Ridley's chance (should) have escalated for this game.

Plus, I don't find myself convinced at your point with Sakurai not wanting to appeal to american audiences, considering we got Little Mac, a character who was basically unknown in Japan, but very requested here.

Oh well, I still see where you're coming from.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Heh...

I'm sorry, but what you said reminded me of this.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/

And yeah, I guess the boxer that had 4 games at most was more likely than a reoccurring boss in in a popular if overseas franchise, who had also managed to gain a more prominent role in its most recent title.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
All I'm going to say is that you guys need to remember that popularity alone isn't going to save any character. They need a combination of things.

Ridley is certainly not a character that would ruin this edition of Smash Bros should he not be playable. I'm seeing a lot of posts of "Sakurai wouldn't pass over Ridley! He's so highly wanted!" I mean yeah, he is. But that doesn't instantly mean he's in. So far the only top characters we've gotten are Little Mac and Mega Man for this game. Palutena is basically confirmed, so she can count too. We still have Roy, Mewtwo, K.Rool, and a few others that haven't shown up yet. It's pretty clear Roy probably won't make it, and we don't know the fate of any others.

I guess what I'm saying is, is that thinking that this confirms him is taking that clip waaaaay too far. I know you guys want him in badly and what have you, but you need to look at the clip for what it was. It was a clip in the context of Boss Fight Characters like Yellow Devil. That's literally the context of it. Ridley was referenced in this clip, which again, had context to being a Boss Fight character like Yellow Devil.

It's not crazy for people here to think he's disconfirmed. The reason I mention this is because I see plenty of people also shooting down any possibility that he isn't playable, which I would certainly not recommend doing.

Everybody has a chance, but Ridley DID take a hit from the Direct. That to me, is inarguable based on the context of the clip he was hinted at in. The arguments as to why he wasn't revealed? I don't know. He's definitely finished as far as his design considering Yellow Devil was done at the reveal last year. I can't say why he wasn't shown. But it shouldn't be automatically assumed that Sakurai is a master troll and is holding him off for E3.

Honestly...it's E3 or die for Ridley. As others have said. I like that people are so passionate because that's what Smash Speculation is all about. But realism should be factored in too. I wanted Ridley in at some point, and if he gets in, I'll eat my words. But I do feel like some things are being taken the complete wrong way in here.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I know that E3 will be moment of truth for a lot of highly requested characters. If for example, Pac-Man isn't revealed at E3, then that would more or less disconfirm him from the game. The same thing could be said for Miis, as I seriously doubt that they would be unlockable.

It's all up to next month for fan favorites such as Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, and the like.

Ridley might be unlockable, but the chances are really slim.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I know that E3 will be moment of truth for a lot of highly requested characters. If for example, Pac-Man isn't revealed at E3, then that would more or less disconfirm him from the game. The same thing could be said for Miis, as I seriously doubt that they would be unlockable.

It's all up to next month for fan-favorites like Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, and the like.
So basically, E3 is going to change everything.

How delightful.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

Ridley might be unlockable, but the chances are really slim.
I feel, either way, if Ridley is revealed he's going to be unlockable, if at all.

But yeah, I'm pumped for E3. Seriously rooting for my favorites.

(nb4 none of them make it.)

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Ridley is certainly not a character that would ruin this edition of Smash Bros should he not be playable. I'm seeing a lot of posts of "Sakurai wouldn't pass over Ridley! He's so highly wanted!" I mean yeah, he is. But that doesn't instantly mean he's in.
It should mean that he's in, simply for the fact that listening to the fans is going to sell more units and push more consoles out the door. Fairly certain Iwata wandered over to Sakurai after they saw him putting in Villager, Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer and said, 'Hey, look, I know the eccentric game developer thing's worked for you in the past, but I think now's a good time to put that aside for the rest of the development cycle and start focusing on characters the fans are asking for.'

'cause, y'know, when the only fan requested characters so far revealed are Greninja and Little Mac, and we're something like three years into development, things are lookin' really bleak.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Does that change the fact he was a fan favorite newcomer request?
Not necessarily, which is why I admitted I forgot him. Even so, Capcom wasn't doing anything with the character. Did anyone honestly expect Nintendo of all people to wind up doing something with the character? I sure didn't. I admitted ages ago that Mega Man was the only third party character left that would drum up the same legitimate amount of hype that Sonic and Snake did, but I never actually expected to see him in Smash.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It should mean that he's in, simply for the fact that listening to the fans is going to sell more units and push more consoles out the door. Fairly certain Iwata wandered over to Sakurai after they saw him putting in Villager, Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer and said, 'Hey, look, I know the eccentric game developer thing's worked for you in the past, but I think now's a good time to put that aside for the rest of the development cycle and start focusing on characters the fans are asking for.'

'cause, y'know, when the only fan requested characters so far revealed are Greninja and Little Mac, and we're something like three years into development, things are lookin' really bleak.
I'm not sure about that, as fragmented and conflicted as the Smash Fan Base is. I'm not sure if I believe that pure fan catering would necessary bring positive results.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

The thing is that Ridley doesn't make or break the game, everyone who wants Ridley in are smash bros fans already and i highly doubt any of them would decide to not buy this game just because of Ridley not being in the roster.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'm not sure about that, as fragmented and conflicted as the Smash Fan Base is. I'm not sure if I believe that pure fan catering would necessary bring positive results.
Because purely eccentric and off-the-wall picks for an all-star Nintendo crossover fighting game really grabbed people out of their seats and threw them into the stores, right? I know Pichu, Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Falco, Toon Link, ROB, Wolf, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and Rosalina really told me that the developers were aiming to earn my money. I mean, all those characters I asked for? Shoot, who WOULDN'T buy their respective Smash games, right?

All kidding aside, Sakurai knows what people want and, at the end of the day, people develop games to satisfy their fans and not their strange, off-the-wall character OCD, y'know? The stakes are way higher this time, as well. We can't really just handwave all the eccentric picks anymore. It's not just do or die at E3 for playable characters, it's do or die for Smash as we know it, and more importantly to Nintendo, the actual Wii U itself. Ridley is just one symptom of a greater problem.

The thing is that Ridley doesn't make or break the game, everyone who wants Ridley in are smash bros fans already and i highly doubt any of them would decide to not buy this game just because of Ridley not being in the roster.
Certainly true, a lot of people aren't going to care that Ridley's in the game or not, but they're not trying to cater to us hardcore Smash fans that're going to buy the games regardless. They're catering to the Metroid fans that would say 'Wow, the new Smash has Ridley? I should really play that game.', the Donkey Kong fans that would say 'Wow, the new Smash has King K. Rool? That's awesome!', the Golden Sun fans that would say 'Man, I remember Isaac! I gotta play this game!', the Kid Icarus fans that would say 'Hades confirmed to be in this game? Yes please!'.

Etcetera, etcetera, ad infinitum. Let's be honest, character picks like Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina and (god forbid) Chorus Men have got more people cocking their heads in confusion than out of their seats in hype. We need more villains, more characters that people are looking for, asking for, and less off-the-wall character choices. There's a reason why they swept the Wii Fit Trainer reveal under the rug at the end of last year's E3, 'cause even Sakurai knew people were going to question his sanity at that point.

EDIT: Seriously. Watch this. The applause and laughter don't even overcome the audio on the clip itself. People are laughing and clapping 'cause they're wondering if it's some kind of joke.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
*Awkwardly raises his hand*

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
People are saying just because they were highly requested only some would make it...but wasn't Ridley #1 in the official poll?
I believe Mewtwo was, then Megaman, then Ridley.

To lazy to check, don't quote me on that XD

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Because purely eccentric and off-the-wall picks for an all-star Nintendo crossover fighting game really grabbed people out of their seats and threw them into the stores, right? I know Pichu, Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Dr. Mario, Young Link, Falco, Toon Link, ROB, Wolf, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and Rosalina really told me that the developers were aiming to earn my money. I mean, all those characters I asked for? Shoot, who WOULDN'T buy their respective Smash games, right?

All kidding aside, Sakurai knows what people want and, at the end of the day, people develop games to satisfy their fans and not their strange, off-the-wall character OCD, y'know? The stakes are way higher this time, as well. We can't really just handwave all the eccentric picks anymore. It's not just do or die at E3 for playable characters, it's do or die for Smash as we know it, and more importantly to Nintendo, the actual Wii U itself. Ridley is just one symptom of a greater problem.

Certainly true, a lot of people aren't going to care that Ridley's in the game or not, but they're not trying to cater to us hardcore Smash fans that're going to buy the games regardless. They're catering to the Metroid fans that would say 'Wow, the new Smash has Ridley? I should really play that game.', the Donkey Kong fans that would say 'Wow, the new Smash has King K. Rool? That's awesome!', the Golden Sun fans that would say 'Man, I remember Isaac! I gotta play this game!', the Kid Icarus fans that would say 'Hades confirmed to be in this game? Yes please!'.

Etcetera, etcetera, ad infinitum. Let's be honest, character picks like Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina and (god forbid) Chorus Men have got more people cocking their heads in confusion than out of their seats in hype. We need more villains, more characters that people are looking for, asking for, and less off-the-wall character choices. There's a reason why they swept the Wii Fit Trainer reveal under the rug at the end of last year's E3, 'cause even Sakurai knew people were going to question his sanity at that point.

EDIT: Seriously. Watch this. The applause and laughter don't even overcome the audio on the clip itself. People are laughing and clapping 'cause they're wondering if it's some kind of joke.
I agree like you said were hardcore and were getting the game anway.

Buuuut Sakurai can't keep adding these lame ass newcomers and expect everyone to suck it up and buy his freakin game. This should be a Nintendo All Stars characters game not a Nintendo half baked characters game.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Pretty sure the same could be said for any potential Newcomer. We have Megaman, most people were dead set on purchasing it with him.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I agree like you said were hardcore and were getting the game anway.

Buuuut Sakurai can't keep adding these lame *** newcomers and expect everyone to suck it up and buy his freakin game. This should be a Nintendo All Stars characters game not a Nintendo half baked characters game.
Essentially the best tl;dr I've ever seen of my argument I've been making for ages now. I just prefer to say it in so many nicer words. XD

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I kinda sorta disagree with you on that part, because characters like Ridley and K. Rool are deal breakers for me if I'm planning on getting the Wii U version. But since I have my doubts on their inclusion, I'll just stick to the 3DS version on the grounds that we've never had a handheld Smash game before.

But even then, if Sakurai's only choice of a hype-inducing character that's requested by many is a third-party character (Little Mac is obscure in Japan), then Sakurai really shouldn't be put in charge of picking newcomers.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
K. Rool. Ridley. Palutena. Pac-Man. If I don't see at least one of those characters at E3 and just see something like Miis or Chorus Men instead, then I honestly don't know what to think anymore.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Essentially the best tl;dr I've ever seen of my argument I've been making for ages now. I just prefer to say it in so many nicer words. XD
Hehehe I'm normally nicer but the whole Ridley thing as got me on edge. Its an emotional month for alot of us. xD

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
If those characters had a negative impact on the series in the past I may have agreed but that hasn't been the case. I enjoy the off the wall characters as much as the fan favorites to be honest, then again the characters on the roster has never been the selling point of the game in general to me, so even if none of hte character on the list in my signature had made it in I still would have been fine with it, Ridley isn't any different to me in that regard.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
If those characters had a negative impact on the series in the past I may have agreed but that hasn't been the case. I enjoy the off the wall characters as much as the fan favorites to be honest, then again the characters on the roster has never been the selling point of the game in general to me, so even if none of hte character on the list in my signature had made it in I still would have been fine with it, Ridley isn't any different to me in that regard.
Even so, it can be a little frustrating. Not having x character isn't that big of a deal as long as there is another who's just as cool/interesting. But in the event that we don't get highly requested fan favorites like Ridley and K. Rool, but instead get mostly Wii Fit Trainers and Miis (which for the former nobody, I repeat, nobody seriously asked for), then yeah, that's kind of a downer.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I kinda sorta disagree with you on that part, because characters like Ridley and K. Rool are deal breakers for me if I'm planning on getting the Wii U version. But since I have my doubts on their inclusion, I'll just stick to the 3DS version on the grounds that we've never had a handheld Smash game before.

But even then, if Sakurai's only choice of a hype-inducing character that's requested by many is a third-party character (Little Mac is obscure in Japan), then Sakurai really shouldn't be put in charge of picking newcomers.
And the thing is Sakurai knows the newcomers are the biggest selling point. He has these fancy trailers to make a big deal outta them and everything. For every silly character there is there should be like 3 awesome highly requested newcomers to make up for it.

I really hope that Sal leak gets disproven. Too many B-C tier level characters......

Top Bottom