• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
My internet is s***, so it has been a long time since I wanted to post this:
First, something odd I noticed, Roidley's tail is very detailed, I mean, why would you put so much effort on something that appears in only ONE stage? Look at YD, he's plain and simple, one tone of yellow and his eye with a basic animation, it's just waste of resorts to put such details on a stage boss
Now, no one, literally no one mentioned this here(or I at least didn't read it): the fact that Pikachu doesn't have a shadow in that clip, think about it, if Pikachu had a shadow, we could easily know Ridley's size this way(easier than have been done), besides, there is a reason why Pikachu was chosen, and the reason is this:

And this:

Mac was promoted from AT to Playable, and Sakurai reused Samus mocking his size in the reveal trailer, now, who thunderbolts Ridley in the SSE that make he loses his chance of killing Samus?
Yup, that's right, it's Pikachu!

It would make sense for Sakurai to do this with Ridley in the same way he did with Mac(guess Ridley wants revenge from Pikachu)
Great argument, except that a lot of people are still convinced Ridley grabbed Pikachu and we can see Pikachu's shadow. (I am of the opinion that it's a combination of Ridley's arms/legs and the floor distorting Ridley's tail.)

Also, a lot of people seem to think his tail isn't detailed. I think the detail level doesn't really matter, as his tail is that bonelike and jagged in Other M.

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
"Desperate"
Implying I don't want Ridley playable. I just go with the most logical conclusion at this point. Teasing him as a stage hazard and revealing him as a character is like telling someone they can have a hamster for Christmas and giving them a cat. Even if they really wanted a cat, they would be disappointed that they didn't get a hamster because they were building it up in their head.
No see, it's like having a son. Your son really, really loves cats. Your son begs and begs for the family to get a cat for Christmas for multiple years, despite your resistance. One year, your son goes back to begging, and you say "Well sorry son, but we still aren't getting a cat. But we've got a nice hamster coming for you!" Son is disappointed with the news but sets himself up for finding a hamster on Christmas morning because that's what he thinks is the best he'll ever get. Christmas morning comes, son dejectedly walks out of his room and down the hallway to get his hamster. But then your son hears the distinctive "mew" of a young kitten.

Merry Christmas.

In other words, who the **** is going to miss Ridley being a stage hazard besides people who treat the people who want him playable like ****?

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Somehow, I'm getting this sort of vibe that tells me that the people who really don't like others speculating on Ridley will be filled with glee the moment he's officially disconfirmed, like they want to try so hard to be right and rub it in everyone else's faces.

So what if people like talking about Ridley and what he's going to be like in SSB4. There's no need to be a negative nancy and rain down on their parades when they're already aware about the current predicament. It's stuff like this that makes me realize just how "Too Bigots" are made.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Somehow, I'm getting this sort of vibe that tells me that the people who really don't like others speculating on Ridley will be filled with glee the moment he's officially disconfirmed, like they want to try so hard to be right and rub it in everyone else's faces.

So what if people like talking about Ridley and what he's going to be like in SSB4. There's no need to be a negative nancy and rain down on their parades when they're already aware about the current predicament. It's stuff like this that makes me realize just how "Too Bigots" are made.
I wonder if Wonder Red fans feel the same way right now...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Calling out @Zoroarking and @ majora_787 majora_787 for their excellent points about Mac and Samus being reused regarding Pikachu and Ridley and correcting everyone about the section of the direct Ridley appears in which is called "Yellow Devil". These were points i didn't even consider before and they deserve credit.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
This ISN'T completely different. People assumed Ness was deconfirmed based off the explicit "Up until now" statement by Sakurai. That's MORE evidence than what is going against Ridley right now. And look how that turned out.
That isn't entirely the case. The context is what makes the difference, the situation with Ness is related to the reveal of Lucas on the Brawl Dojo which was mostly an anaylziation of the sentance that was being said at the time. In this case, Sakuari was talking in context of the Yellow Devil segment of the direct and showed Ridley's shadow in context of other stages having bosses.

Though some similar conclusions are being reached, the reasons why people are coming to those conclusion and the evidence that supports those conclusions are entirely different. These are not equal situations and I really think it's bad idea to be using false equlivances as our means of dispute claims.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't understand how you die hard Ridley fans can outright deconfirm any character who's role is blatantly obvious without a hitch but won't do it with Ridley. I love him as much as the next guy but he's nothing more than a pipe dream. Just DROP IT already. He's a boss and nothing more. He's being so secretive so he can say "You wanted Ridley? Here he is yet again as a boss! Enjoy!"

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
If he's a boss fight Sakurai should've outright said it. He's one of the most requested characters in a specific region and it would be better than trolling people.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Also, Sakurai never implied that Ness was cut in the Japanese text. Lucas's profile stated that another PSI user (i.e. him) will join the battle for Brawl. The only reference to Ness was that if he could be a better fighter than him.

Blame the person who translated his page.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I don't understand how you die hard Ridley fans can outright deconfirm any character who's role is blatantly obvious without a hitch but won't do it with Ridley. I love him as much as the next guy but he's nothing more than a pipe dream. Just DROP IT already. He's a boss and nothing more. He's being so secretive so he can say "You wanted Ridley? Here he is yet again as a boss! Enjoy!"
Let me ask you something.....Why the Hell do you even care? Does it bother you so much that some of us think he still has a great chance? You should just drop it not us.

D

Deleted member

Great argument, except that a lot of people are still convinced Ridley grabbed Pikachu and we can see Pikachu's shadow. (I am of the opinion that it's a combination of Ridley's arms/legs and the floor distorting Ridley's tail.)

Also, a lot of people seem to think his tail isn't detailed. I think the detail level doesn't really matter, as his tail is that bonelike and jagged in Other M.
I don't kow how people can assume he grabbed Pikachu if he doesn't have a shadow, besides, I don't think grabbing someone is argument against him and neither all the others

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Wonder Red and Brittany: Shown clearly as trophies on Miiverse.
Skull Kid, Ashley, etc: Shown clearly an assist trophies on Miiverse.
Ridley: In a video segment labeled "Yellow Devil," an impossible-to-attain-in-game camera angle of Pyrosphere is shown, with Ridley's shadow passing by and Sakurai saying "Boss characters make appearances on other stages, not just this one."

If you're not seeing the difference, then I have no idea what to tell you.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I am very pessimistic about the characters that I want, like King K. Rool and the FE Avatar, but that doesn't mean that I can still speculate on their potential roles.

If you don't think he has a ghost of a chance, then fine. Just don't come here.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Warning Received
Why do I care? Because I'm sick of SOME of you Being obnoxious assholes who yell at us when we say we consider him deconfirmed and I want it to cease.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
1.) Ridley's role in the game, while very heavily implied, is still not fact yet.

2.) Even if Other M Ridley is a boss, it is within the realm of possibility we could get a more classic design of Ridley, as there are multiple incarnations of Ridley throughout the Metroid series.

So, while Ridley's chances seem pretty grim now, there still exists plausible possibilities that would allow him to be playable. As long as those possibilities exist, there is no reason to claim that Ridley is impossible at this point, so I say let people interpret this as they want. Ridley may not be likely, but he is still possible.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Why do I care? Because I'm sick of SOME of you Being obnoxious *******s who yell at us when we say we consider him deconfirmed and I want it to cease.
How about learn to ignore faceless people you don't know on the internet? It makes life easier.

EDIT: I'm being serious. It will help a lot.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still can't fathom how people can reasonably compare instances like "This is Dillon. He is an assist trophy, and not playable." to what happened with Ridley. Though there seems to be a big lack of observational skills going on in this thread sometimes.

EDIT: You find it obnoxious that people actually pay attention to things and use basic observational skills instead of using extremely vague information as basis for 100% certain facts? Well that's... something. I don't really know what to call it without sounding offensive, but it's something. You have fun with that.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Why do I care? Because I'm sick of SOME of you Being obnoxious *******s who yell at us when we say we consider him deconfirmed and I want it to cease.
Ignore them then. That's a feature on this site.

And they'll never cease to exist. If anything, it will get even worse.

D

Deleted member

Just stop, you keep going to character threads and saying they don't stand a chance, you did this here, in the K. Rool thread and in the Wonder-Red thread, as someone there said "he stood a better chance than most characters you support"

Calling out @Zoroarking and @ majora_787 majora_787 for their excellent points about Mac and Samus being reused regarding Pikachu and Ridley and correcting everyone about the section of the direct Ridley appears in which is called "Yellow Devil". These were points i didn't even consider before and they deserve credit.
Thanks dude! I noticed the YD section the second time I watched the direct(I posted it, like, 200 pages ago), the Pikachu thing actually makes sense the more I think about it, I can see Sakurai replaying the shadow clip at E3 and then showing Ridley KOing Pikachu just like Mac did with Samus

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
@ Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming There's an easy way to end this- show me a pic of the day where Sakurai deconfirms Ridley. Dillon got one, Waluigi got one, Skull Kid got one, Ashley got one, so just post Ridley's here and we'll all be quiet. Unless you can't post one.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Clearly the best people on any forum are the people who go into character SUPPORT threads to go off on people for SUPPORTING the character in question. (I made the text a little more obvious so a conclusion can be drawn.) Seriously. If people can't support Ridley in a Ridley support thread, there literally is not any place where people can support Ridley. You can wish people would stop liking things you don't like all you want, but you should keep it somewhere else. Like not here, for example.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wow now I'm done taliing here.

May I remind you guys that this is a support thread which means that it should be about discussing ridley in ssb4 by sharing opinion and tell how he would work out. What make this thread (talking about the debate not this thread) is that more and more people just can't prove without any doubt their point and still present it as facts. The true facts is you can't tell there's so much double meaning. Look at the potd quote same thing is happening now. I respect your opinion if you THINK he's playable or hazard but what I just can't stand is that people refuse the possibility of the opposite happening which on every evidences it can be proven. I just can't understand this debates are enjoyable when all participants tries to view both sides (even if it's devil advocate). But here, either I see someone who THINK he's playable but knows that it might not happen or either I see someone who think that he's FOR SURE a boss. This is not enjoyable at all because people constantly need to remind about the fact (which again means that it's impossible to tell his fate) instead of actually telling our opinion and then discuss. This is now pointless for me to post anything about ridley even if I think he's playable and that he's my second most wanted. I won't go in detail about my opinion because it doesn't matter anymore.

As for those who are looking at both side and agree with what I said, well you have my hopes for ridley and now I finally understood how ridley's fan are in terrible debate condition now.

This was my last message on this thread thanks.

majora_787

Smash Hero
E3 is the only thing that can save us. The ambiguity is going to kill us all. Can the Ridley thread go 25 days without combusting in blood and fire? We'll see.

D

Deleted member

All the other Metroid characters took an Other m design. Why would Ridley be ANY different?
>All
>There is one Metroid character
If you count Assists, we have Mother Brain(Zero Mission, Mertoid 1 and SM designs combined), D.Samus(Metroid Prime) and the Mertoid(SM just it was in Brawl)
ZSS is based mostly from Zero Mission, besides, tell this to :toonlink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
The point isn't that Ridley has no chance, but that Ridley's chances of appearing as a playable character is slim. Whenever we like or not, RIdley is going to appear as a boss; being playable as well isn't exactly likely.
Next time people forget this, just bring up the quote again:
The fact is that Ridley was shown off when Sakurai was talking about bosses. It should be obvious that Ridley is, indeed, a boss. Why would you shown Ridley off in the boss section and say he isn't a boss?
I wouldn't be surprised if Mewtwo and King K. Rool were unlockables and as such, were held off until release. However, I do agree that it's show up as playable or die for Ridley at E3 2014. I'm confident that we will see Ridley there; probably not playable though.
At the very least, I would expect to see Mewtwo get in. No way are they going to skip out on the most wanted character.
I am not entirely sure; I was just asserting that we need something more objective than an ambiguous allusion. I have my own theory that I adhere to.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
As for those who are looking at both side and agree with what I said, well you have my hopes for ridley and now I finally understood how ridley's fan are in terrible debate condition now.
Yup. At this moment, it sucks to be a Metroid fan.

Am I the only who gets ticked off at seeing some of the smug, pretentious titles of the support threads after the Direct? It's like they're just daring Sakurai to reveal their inevitable disconfirmation.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You can not just "consider" Ridley deconfirmed. Ridley was not deconfirmed by definition; if you believe so, you are in the minority, you are the one that doesn't understand what a deconfirmation is, and you are the one bothering us. If you don't like it, don't visit the Ridley thread. It is really that simple. No one is yelling at anyone, we are on the internet. I mean, I don't even know what that means, did someone CAPS LOCK YOU AND MAKE YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE BECAUSE THEY PRESSED A BUTTON WHICH INFLUENCED THE WAY YOU PERCEIVED THEIR MESSAGE?

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yup. At this moment, it sucks to be a Metroid fan.

Am I the only who gets ticked off at seeing some of the smug, pretentious titles of the support threads after the Direct? It's like they're just daring Sakurai to reveal their inevitable disconfirmation.
I think it's reached a new level of complication, because things have become even more factured. Before we had people who believed Ridley would be in, and those that didn't. Not heavily complex.

Now it's more we have the ones that didn't think Ridley would be in at all, then the divided subjections of different viewpoints on how the Direct's stage boss meaning. Some believing the direct deconfirmed Ridley, those that believe he's probably out based on current evidence (where I kind of stand), those that believe he's still in though still consider the evidence from teh direct, and those on the far end that believe the Ridley appearance is a 'joke' or a 'troll.'

I believe it's more then a original two way battle over Ridley is now a five way free for all.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I must say, the blood is surely boiling in this argument now isn't it? The fact that we're less than a month away from E3 must be really getting to some people huh? Regardless, as I've said many times before, nothing's set in stone and please stop acting like it is. When we're already a month past the direct and NOTHING about Ridley has been shown while basically everything else has and there's been multiple attempts to do so...it doesn't take a genius to know that he's being saved for something.

Morbi

Scavenger
I must say, the blood is surely boiling in this argument now isn't it? The fact that we're less than a month away from E3 must be really getting to some people huh? Regardless, as I've said many times before, nothing's set in stone and please stop acting like it is. When we're already a month past the direct and NOTHING about Ridley has been shown while basically everything else has and there's been multiple attempts to do so...it doesn't take a genius to know that he's being saved for something.
Of course, everybody understands that Ridley's imminent reveal is at E3, but clearly, we want to discuss it prior to the event.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Now I just wonder if we can get this thread to a thousand pages.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Of course, everybody understands that Ridley's imminent reveal is at E3, but clearly, we want to discuss it prior to the event.
I have to agree, it's not so much people are argue that Ridley reveal is inevitable. It's the argument of what form Ridley will end up taking, as no one is really thinking that Ridley is not going to appear in any form.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
*walks into thread*

...Oh boy, more arguments. Blah, blah, blah, E3. The scare from the Direct already mentally prepared me for the possibility of Ridley not being playable. So if it happens for real at E3...

Last edited:
Top Bottom