• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Morbi

Scavenger
When he's confirmed and all the toobigots come back and say "I knew he was going to be in the whole time" it will...
I hate it when it happens, I don't pretend to speculate in favor of something I openly opposed. IF Ridley isn't confirmed to be playable, I am going to return here and humbly apologize. I am not going to be like, "I knew Ridley was a stage-hazard the whole time, it was so obvious!"

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
When he's confirmed and all the toobigots come back and say "I knew he was going to be in the whole time" it will...
Well to be fair there are people here that would probably shove it in those same people's faces if he was confirmed. It's not exactly like we're innocent of all charges that are made or lack arrogance in regards to this discussion.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You know, I think discussion is fun and good till E3. It's like betting.
Gambling is good for the soul. True story.

EDIT: Hey, speak for yourself. I'm only as smug as my avatar.

... Oh right. I changed that. Shoot.

Last edited:

jigglover

Smash Lord
It has to be said, if Ridley is disconfirmed at E3 then all hopes for another metroid representative will be lost. I don't know too much about the series (played a few of the games, they were pretty enjoyable but they didn't really draw me into the series too much) but I can't think of another character who fits as well as Ridley besides Dark Samus... and she (it?) is an assist trophy already. I feel like Metroid deserves another rep though, which is really why I think Ridley still has a good shot.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
To ease everyone's nerves from pointless arguments...let's look at the facts.

Ridley is possibly going to be a multiple role character, being both a boss hazard and a playable character

This connects to the Yellow Devil, the first of its kind to be designed. However, here's something to consider...was the Yellow Devil finished upon the reveal of Smash 4 at E3 last year? That's up for debate, but I'm going to say no. And of course...

We got screenshots of the Yellow Devil not too long after E3. However, it's easily assumed that these hazards are designed along with the stages they originate on...which leads us to the Pyrosphere:

We got this stage revealed back on August 20th of last year, and it was then that many speculated that Ridley was out of the race as a stage hazard...well okay, this stage is almost a year old as of now...if that's the case...

A.) Why wasn't Ridley shown with the stage or shortly after?
B.) If this is such an important mechanic to the developers as shown later by in-depth analysis of the Yellow Devil, why was this part pushed off to the side?
C.) Why the hell did it take us almost 8 months to get information on what the hell goes on on this stage?

And of course, we all saw it, a Shadow of MOM Ridley on the stage, hinting a boss hazard. Well okay, that's fine and dandy but again...

A.) Why are we just seeing a shadow and not just describing and/or showing full gameplay of a fight against him when we clearly know who it is.
B.) Why did it, again, take you 8 months to show us this when we've literally been left in the dark this entire time?
and C.) Why is that hazard so damn odd?

Some would say "Oh he's not completed yet" and I ask "If this is an important addition to a stage, why would this one stage be rejected for more than half a year and just now be in the starting phases of getting possibly its most important element?"

And this comes to the final part of all this...the fact that Ridley was not shown at all in the over 200+ pictures of practically everything being shown after the Direct had finished...and there was no reason to not do it either. We could've gotten a picture like the incomplete Yellow Devil and just say "Oh hey, Ridley, Boss, Pyrosphere" and not spoon-feed us bull****...and why couldn't it have been given a pic of the day? Surely a discussion regarding one of the world's most wanted characters is more important than a picture depicting a trophy of Brittany from Pikmin 3 or today's screenshot, Pong, something we already knew about, would've just been the time to do it. It already had Samus and Zamus on-screen, it would've worked, but nope, nothing at all.

You can dislike Ridley if you want, you can say he may not be playable because may damn well not be...but let me ask you this...does that, at all, sound normal to you?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I agree that there's something really suspicious about Ridley in SSB4, stage hazard or not. There's probably something really unique to him that very few characters, if not anyone, can be similar to. He could be playable, he could be both playable and a hazard, he could be semi-playabe (that is, you can control him with the Wii U gamepad on Pyrosphere), or he could only be a hazard and nothing more.

It's next-to-impossible for me to not get disappointed about Ridey's exclusion, even if my expectations are low. It's possible that Sakurai has chosen not to talk about Ridley because he's more interested in showing off everything else SSB4 has to offer. Even if that thing is Luigi's nose.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
"Desperate"
Implying I don't want Ridley playable. I just go with the most logical conclusion at this point. Teasing him as a stage hazard and revealing him as a character is like telling someone they can have a hamster for Christmas and giving them a cat. Even if they really wanted a cat, they would be disappointed that they didn't get a hamster because they were building it up in their head.
People would accept the hamster but they wouldn't be as excited as if they get a cat, if they got a cat they would be far too excited by that they would forget the hamster, for example, if your dad told you "I'm only buying an old tv, it is from your grandpa and it doesn't even have colors" but he buys you a 4k instead, would you be dissapointed if you get something far better than what you were promised? Nobody is excited about stage hazards

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I can accept when people say he's probably a stage hazard.
I can accept when people say he's probably not playable.

but...

If you say he's not playable, with only a 8 second clip of a shadow flying across the stage, without a single regard to the ambiguity or beat-around-the-bush Sakurai's feeding us...
then you probably shouldn't be in this thread. I can respect honest arguments, or skepticism, but if you intend to tell me beyond a shadow of doubt that he's nothing more then an over glorified hazard, then quite frankly you are a tad bit insane.

Maybe not as insane as some of us who believe in The Dream, but insane. It's too soon to draw concrete conclusions or make blanket statements when the only proof of Ridley's SSB4 existence is a couple of hints and a mere shadow. It's not ogre until Sakurai says it's ogre. If Sakurai say's he's a stage hazard, then congratulations, we were wrong, move on, Ridley goes to the Graveyard thread and we hope that maybe next time, if there is indeed a next time, he makes it. Until then, we few, we happy few, will continue to believe The Dream despite what nay sayers may say. I, for one, believe Ridley is probably playable(60%), but I will admit I'm wrong if that's not the case.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Ridley's disconfirmed, it better be at E3 so that way it won't be long until the 3DS game comes out.

Morbi

Scavenger
If Ridley's disconfirmed, it better be at E3 so that way it won't be long until the 3DS game comes out.
I never entertained the notion (as I am certain he will be revealed during e3), but wouldn't it be so hilarious if we got another shadow flying across the screen at e3 with nothing more, yet again? I would be laughing my ass off personally, that would give us another month or two to speculate on Ridley's shadow.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
There is one thing I find particularly odd. Why no sound in the clip where Ridley appeared? It's obvious the shadow is Ridley, so what's the point of blocking noise if the fact is already known visually? Unless there is something else going on off screen. Maybe the sound of rising lava?

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I never entertained the notion (as I am certain he will be revealed during e3), but wouldn't it be so hilarious if we got another shadow flying across the screen at e3 with nothing more, yet again? I would be laughing my *** off personally, that would give us another month or two to speculate on Ridley's shadow.
It would only be hilarious if the shadow did something, like, gasp, attack! The internet would be set on fire if that happened!

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
bigger-pika.jpg

Ridley doesn't look that big if you just give Pikachu a Super Mushroom.

We shouldn't shrink Ridley. The other characters just need to grow. :upsidedown: (but seriously, I would be fine with that size for Ridley)

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
If you say he's not playable, with only a 8 second clip of a shadow flying across the stage, without a single regard to the ambiguity or beat-around-the-bush Sakurai's feeding us...
then you probably shouldn't be in this thread. I can respect honest arguments, or skepticism, but if you intend to tell me beyond a shadow of doubt that he's nothing more then an over glorified hazard, then quite frankly you are a tad bit insane.
To Quote my thesis adviser: "Only an idiot makes absolute claims without solid proof".

Just wait for E3.

D

Deleted member

I never entertained the notion (as I am certain he will be revealed during e3), but wouldn't it be so hilarious if we got another shadow flying across the screen at e3 with nothing more, yet again? I would be laughing my *** off personally, that would give us another month or two to speculate on Ridley's shadow.
Better idea! Show his shadow at another stage! Then let's see how he could be a boss:cool:

Morbi

Scavenger
There is one thing I find particularly odd. Why no sound in the clip where Ridley appeared? It's obvious the shadow is Ridley, so what's the point of blocking noise if the fact is already known visually? Unless there is something else going on off screen. Maybe the sound of rising lava?
I thought that the audio was removed for ambiance.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Don't give a **** to what those Ridley detractors say, everyone.

Ridley deserves a spot in the Smash Roster.
That's why we are all here.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
(Cut due to Length)
To be honest, your overcomplicating something that could be explained for a number of reasons that we do not have answers to due to us having no insight on the development process. If Sakurai had shown other Wii U bosses other then the yellow devil prior to displaying Ridley's shadow I'd be in agreement on the strangeness of alot of those points, but he has not. Why show Ridley then? Prehaps because Sakurai prespection of the character of him being popular enough to be recongizable without needing to directly show him? Maybe it was intended to simply be dramatic and showy, as the PoTD have little rime or reason to them most of the time he could easily have just decided not to bring it up.

The problem here is nearly every reason or explaination has a personal, business, or coinceidental reason for why it could be happening other then what is presented here. Which unforunately leaves almost no certainity the only true evidence we have is what we've seen in the Direct, which is why I still take the idea of him unlikely to be in based strictly on the evidence presented. Is the whole thing strange, yes, but only if we assume Ridley is being held in the same mindset as we hold him. Which likely isn't the case sadly.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've been thinking about this. Whether he's officially disconfirmed and revealed to be a stage hazard, or is just not shown at all at E3, will be the day that I leave this forum until the 3DS version is released.

I mean if he isn't shown at E3, then welp, it looks as though Nintendo wants to bury the Metroid series and forget about it.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Better idea! Show his shadow at another stage! Then let's see how he could be a boss:cool:
Easy
Yellow Ridley for Dr wily castle
Ridley in a bowser's spaceship in Mario Galaxy
Ridley using Palutena statue as a weapon in Palutena's temple
Ridley in sports suit in wii fit gym
Ridley using a plane in pilotwings
Mini Ridley in city and town
Ridley with boxing gloves in punch out ring
Ridley being dragon type pkmn in the kalos league

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Just stop, you keep going to character threads and saying they don't stand a chance, you did this here, in the K. Rool thread and in the Wonder-Red thread, as someone there said "he stood a better chance than most characters you support"

Thanks dude! I noticed the YD section the second time I watched the direct(I posted it, like, 200 pages ago), the Pikachu thing actually makes sense the more I think about it, I can see Sakurai replaying the shadow clip at E3 and then showing Ridley KOing Pikachu just like Mac did with Samus
I did NOT do it in the K. Rool thread, and I provided reasoning for the Wonder Red one. I've said it countless times: I DO SUPPORT RIDLEY. He is not going to be playable though.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I did NOT do it in the K. Rool thread, and I provided reasoning for the Wonder Red one. I've said it countless times: I DO SUPPORT RIDLEY. He is not going to be playable though.
As I've said, there is still the possibility that Ridley could be playable. Even if the possibility is very unlikely, as long as it exists, you can't make a definite claim like that.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It sure doesn't sound like you support Ridley, from the tone of your comments.

Besides, I've seen you bash Ridley way before the Direct even happened.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I have never bashed Ridley. I like him and always supported him. My point of reasoning is partially based on the fact that all the other PLAYABLE Metroid reps are using Other M/designs heavily inspired by Other M designs. Ridley would be the same AND he was specifically talking about Bosses when we saw his Shadow, Combined with the comment of An Old foe of Samus may appear at any second. You can't argue that the shadow isn't Ridley's. I didn't come here to make anyone mad, I came here to state My thoughts on the subject. YOU guys are the ones who started being defensive.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
You sure don't sound like you do.
Also, and I don't like that I did this, but once when going against Mii I said I do support him but he won't be in.
I was full of ****.

Also, I used to be a Ridley hater. But then I realized the toobig argument was stupid, and became neutrual. I said on Miiverse if nobody gave me a reason that I couldn't counter, [People used movesets, he can fly, etc.] then I would become a Ridley supporter. And here we are.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have never bashed Ridley. I like him and always supported him. My point of reasoning is partially based on the fact that all the other PLAYABLE Metroid reps are using Other M/designs heavily inspired by Other M designs. Ridley would be the same AND he was specifically talking about Bosses when we saw his Shadow, Combined with the comment of An Old foe of Samus may appear at any second. You can't argue that the shadow isn't Ridley's. I didn't come here to make anyone mad, I came here to state My thoughts on the subject. YOU guys are the ones who started being defensive.
Can we seriously stop using "Someone who might be Ridley could appear on the Pyrosphere in any context whatsoever" as evidence for anything? It really doesn't make you look very smart.

And no. Coming in here with baseless declarations of facts that we can't actually know at this point in a support thread is not support and is more or less an aggression toward the people in the thread. I could go to the thread of any character and go "Your character won't be playable because of some nebulous thing I decided somehow reaches a definitive conclusion even though it doesn't. I said so. I support X, but X will never happen. Stop supporting him, it's obnoxious. And stop being so defensive, it's not like I attacked you or anything."

If you're going to be this way, you probably shouldn't waste everyone's time by being here. And that includes your own.

Morbi

Scavenger
I was "defensive" as you insinuated that Ridley was deconfirmed, objectively speaking, he was not. No one denies that an audio clip alluding to "other boss characters" was edited over a game-play clip with Ridley's shadow. We understand that notion, we just don't care, it is immaterial.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
One. One other Metroid rep. ZSS is her own rep now, she got a brand new design. And answer me. Just please, answer my one question.
Why would Sakurai tease him as a stage hazard?

EDIT: Maybe this will be like Kirby. A really deserving series is left with only one character for awhile and suddenly gets 3.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
One. One other Metroid rep. ZSS is her own rep now, she got a brand new design. And answer me. Just please, answer my one question.
Why would Sakurai tease him as a stage hazard?
It's incompetence as evidence all over again. See my analogy of Capcom showing Mega Man in a MvC game, only to reveal him as a background character even though he is a very requested playable character. It's not IMPOSSIBLE obviously, but it's a bad idea. Why would someone do that?

EDIT: Yeh, when we have to answer questions with questions, it's how we know we're nowhere near definitive territory.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
All I'm saying is that he has about as much chance now as a second Sonic rep - UBER UNLIKELY, and I never thought he'd make it anyway - and I also did not say anything about the too big argument as that's total crap. Sakurai is a smart cookie, but I don't think he would want to do Ridley this time if he hasn't done him before now. He SHOULD have been in Brawl but instead we got 2 Samuses. He also cut Mewtwo, a deserving character, and he doesn't want to please American fans as much as Japanese fans, Japan doesn't want Ridley as much as we do (I use American and Japanese to insinuate Western and Eastern audiences, BTW.)

Top Bottom