• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I have to say guys, some of you are taking information about Ridley's playability that is ambiguous at best and taking it to mean he's confirmed.

This is definitely the thread for speculation, hope, and whatnot, but there definitely isn't enough info from any source to confirm him. that's a little cray cray.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
My post about his jerky shadow several pages back is exactly what you're looking for
Just read it

Check carefully where I'm going. You have a good evidence suggesting that he's playable. If I take this alone, I could tell that he's most likely playable but here's the thing: you would have to be able to answer all the evidences that suggests the opposite.

So, tell me,

Why his shadow LOOKS so big?
Why we cannot hear audio in the clip?
Why the ambiguity at all?
Why not just mentioning his name?
Why not even tell how he's boss/playable?

And most importantly: Why not even showing him at all?

Also, I can view your point in the other meaning: He could be a boss hazard that has been a little rushed on the animations (ok I know it's really far fetched but I can't deny the possibility of it happening so there's a small doubts here)

Most of this post was devil advocate but I think you understand that you can't bring a single thing without having the opposite being true.

Morbi

Scavenger
Is it just me or I'm noticing that the whole purpose of the debate is entirely pointless?

Just think about it we are arguing about his CHANCES which normally involve interpretation. But someone really need to tell me why some people ARE SO SURE which must be proven by facts only.

I'm tired to repeat it HIS FATE CAN'T BE PROVEN BY FACTS ONLY!!!

I'm really considering to reduce my talk about him. I see people that are sure about hazard but their fact can be interpreted the other way so it's not solid enough. If you are so sure prove me WHITOUT ANY FORM OF DOUBTS that he's a boss/playable and you must uses only the potd quote and the direct clip.

I said that I think he's playable but here, it assumes that Sakurai knew about ridley's popularity which can't be proven for sure (so, it;s opinion not fact here). But the ridley clip IS DUBIOUS FACTS.

Quote this if you call me delusional (and I talk to anyone here) and I will stop arguing if you can prove me without any doubts that he's a boss and I will accept it and apologize for my mistake but just do it.
It is as you state, it is impossible to determine Ridley's fate objectively. That is why I settle for a much more attainable burden, a preponderance of the evidence. I just can't wait until his reveal, the detractors remind me so very much of the Toon Link detractors.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Ridley just doesn't work. If they actually do make him work I bet he'd look real goofy being scaled down to size. -slashed out by a certain moderator

I like to come into character discussion threads and preach my opinions about characters as if they were fact. -added by likely the same moderator

I state opinions and people think I am stating them as facts when they are really opinions.

Obviously some moderators aren't smart enough to see my opinions as my opinions, or just like to poke unwarranted fun at those involved in arguments such as these. Or they're just disrespectful when no disrespect was dealt. Slashing out words and putting new ones into my mouth are not appreciated, to whoever did this mildly dastardly deed. Please, engage in that sort of cynical behavior elsewhere.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really don't get how "jerky" the animation seen in the shadow is anything different from actions done by bosses in Brawl.

Especially evident when bosses aren't following a set timing pattern.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley just doesn't work. If they actually do make him work I bet he'd look real goofy being scaled down to size.
"Sakurai shouldn't make fan favorites work because I as an individual don't like how I think he would look as someone who is not a game designer."

It's not like this can't be applied to literally anything and everything characters and otherwise.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Ridley isn't as filled out as Charizard, physically. See how spread out his limbs, wings, and tail are? That'd make for really wacko hitboxes in terms of dealing and receiving damage. Unless they are more tucked in, but they are not.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley isn't as filled out as Charizard, physically. See how spread out his limbs, wings, and tail are? That'd make for really wacko hitboxes in terms of dealing and receiving damage. Unless they are more tucked in, but he never looks like that.
He never looks hunched over? Ever? In any game he has ever been in? He has always been T-posing through life? That's factually incorrect in terms of just about every appearance he's been in I am pretty sure.

majora_787

Smash Hero
His hitbox may be strange, but in all seriousness it's not necessary that all of him be a hitbox. Such as his wings, which are some of the largest and most unruly parts of his body. Even his tail doesn't necessarily need to be a hitbox most of the time. That would leave a vaguely Bowser-sized torso and head to take damage and be the source of most attacks.

EDIT: In general, this isn't a new thing. Other M Ridley is distinctly more solidly muscular and humanoid than other Ridleys. And since Brawl we have been getting characters with strange hunched postures in the form of Greninja and Wolf. We even have characters like Charizard who have wings and tails which are or aren't hitboxes at different pointsbased off context.

This isn't particularly complicated. It's just re-applying what they've done before in a different way.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
But you still see his tail and his wings. It'd be weird to hit a part of his body but not have or see him take damage.
His wings and tail could easily fold in and be out of the way when not in use. Generally speaking, as far as I know, loose body parts like tails and wings on animal characters aren't part of their hitboxes "whenever". It may sometimes appear to be the case when attack hitboxes overlap with body hitboxes, but that's just how it goes.

And really ."It'd look weird"? I think it looks weird that Olimar is nearly up to Bowser's chest in height. Oop, Olimar and Bowser cut from Smash. One person on the internet thinks it's weird.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Excuse my prior statement about him "not looking like that," but still it would look bad for him to fight having his parts tucked in. This is a fighting game, you don't engage in that sort of behavior unless it's practical, such as shielding and whatnot.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Excuse my prior statemnt about him "not looking like that," but still it would look bad for him to fight having his parts tucked in. This is a fighting game, you don't engage in that sort of behavior unless it's practical, such as shielding and whatnot.
You mean like how Bowser was for the last two games?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
As much as the sal ramono leak has characters that quite a lot of people want. (examples: chrom shulk palutena) I really do not believe nor hope that the Ieak is true. (I mean come on, chorus men? who even wants them in!?)

I very much tip my my hat to smashoperatingbuddy123 for bringing my faith back in ridley being In ssb4. Good work man.
I believe it even though i hate it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Excuse my prior statemnt about him "not looking like that," but still it would look bad for him to fight having his parts tucked in. This is a fighting game, you don't engage in that sort of behavior unless it's practical, such as shielding and whatnot.
So Pit, Charizard, and Meta Knight always walk around with their wings fully extended in the middle of the game? I'd LOVE to see some proof of that.

EDIT: The fact of the matter is, in a FIGHT, if you have tons of loose appendages, you're going to keep them IN and not LAYING OUT ALL OVER THE GROUND when you're fighting unless you are actually using them. Otherwise you are making yourself an easier target and are going to get yourself hurt. That's why people in boxing don't hold their arms straight out from their sides when they're not punching people. Because that's going to get them hurt.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Ridley is a totally different argument because his wings are big and his limbs are big and he has a long tail and he is generally muscular but not filled out. Don't try to compare characters that make sense with one that doesn't (i.e. Ridley).

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ridley is a totally different argument because his wings are big and his limbs are big and he has a long tail and he is generally muscular but not filled out. Don't try to compare characters that make sense with one that doesn't (i.e. Ridley).
Sounds like Charizard. And an opinion.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
It doesn't matter what mechanical logic or reasoning anyone uses pertaining to this ridiculous argument, the point is, is that Ridley doesn't work. Unless he does. But in my view he doesn't. Done with this argument, now I know how it feels to get involved in a silly Ridley argument.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It doesn't matter what mechanical logic or reasoning anyone uses pertaining to this ridiculous argument, the point is, is that Ridley doesn't work. Unless he does. But in my view he doesn't. Done with this argument, now I know how it feels to get involved in a silly Ridley argument.
He doesn't work unless he does.

You do realize that your opinion isn't the end all word on the matter, right?

D

Deleted member

He does indeed.

Still, his wings don't count as hitboxes, don't they?
I think it depends on whether or not they are in the same "plane" as the fighters. I'm probably wrong since I don't use Charizard extensively (though I might in Smash 4).

EDIT: Ah, they do. Somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley is a totally different argument because his wings are big and his limbs are big and he has a huge tail and he is generally muscular but not filled out. Don't try to compare characters that make sense with one that doesn't (i.e. Ridley).
You know how you make something not big? *RESCALE THE CHARACTER*. I'm sorry, but can you think a bit harder? This really is not complicated whatsoever. You are literally sitting here and refusing to acknowledge things that are in no way obfuscated or hard to understand/figure out.

1) Big wings can and will be folded in. That is literally how wings work. They are going to be folded in when they are not in use. *THAT IS HOW WINGS WORK*.
2) Muscular but not filled out? What are you even saying anymore? I can't tell if you are actually talking about his posture, when OTHER characters have had bizarre un-full posture, or if you are trying to sound like you have no idea what you are talking about. Either way, sorry Greninja and Wolf. You don't stand upright, so you both have to go.
3) Big limbs happen to big characters. No big limbs? Sorry Bowser. Sorry Ganondorf. Sorry DK. Sorry Dedede. You're gone. You aren't allowed to have limbs proportional to your large bodies.
4) A huge tail? His tail is LONG, THIN, and is generally rope-like in nature. It could easily be curled up close to the back when not in use, and stabbed outward with the sharp end first. Charizard's tail is large, thick, and not nearly as maneuverable. So of course it would be different. If anything, it would work BETTER for Ridley than it did for Charizard.

5) "Don't try to compare characters that make sense with one that doesn't (i.e. Ridley)."

So don't refute your terribly constructed argument with obvious facts? That's not allowed? And to reinforce that, obviously all characters that are in the game EVEN THOUGH they break all of the rules you have made here "make sense" and one that hasn't been in a game yet but can easily be worked out DESPITE all of your bizarre fabricated restrictions "doesn't make sense"?

That's game, set, and match. Pack up and head out. You can come back when you're actually going to participate in a serious, thought-out discussion.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Ridley doesn't work unless he does!

Opinions=Fact guys!

(I'm going to quote you on that forever, you realize that?:rotfl:)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It is as you state, it is impossible to determine Ridley's fate objectively. That is why I settle for a much more attainable burden, a preponderance of the evidence. I just can't wait until his reveal, the detractors remind me so very much of the Toon Link detractors.
And Sheik's detractor's, if you think about it. What was the general consensus when the Phantom showed up? That Sheik was cut and Zelda got a new move. Well guess what, it's a new move and Sheik's back.

Which is why I think Ridley is playable, and the stage hazard boss is someone else.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I think it depends on whether or not they are in the same "plane" as the fighters. I'm probably wrong since I don't use Charizard extensively (though I might in Smash 4).

EDIT: Ah, they do. Somewhat.
Gosh look at that- Charizard's tail and wings barely have hitboxes. And he was already in Smash before. I wonder who's body-type he's similar to....

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ridleys really not that special you know.....he is just like every other character.

Why does it mean so much to people to say he cant/wont be playable.....

You do know that if he is not playable all the haters are gonna say its because he ''cant be'' impossible and say thats fact.

Which it only will be if Sakurai says.

Shog

Smash Ace
I am sure this was brought up already but isn't Ridley perfectly fine simply from the fact that in the Melee Intro he was slightly taller than Samus? I mean...how did people come up with the size problem in the first place? I would understand if people didn't play Metroid Games, but this was in the Smash Game.
btw.
I would be interested in this character too, since I played all Metroid Games except II(Fan Remake), Other M and Metroid Prime 3. He has a lot of potential. And seeing how the assist trophy of Dark Samus looks pretty awesome, coming up with something for Ridley shouldn't be a impossible task. I lurked here sometime and I enjoyed the analysis of the shadow and the fanart. So keep it up!

D

Deleted member

Dragonite?
Aerodactyl?

(Ignoring the seperate limbs for arms and wings, Charizard is kinda similar to Aerodactyl, which I've noticed since I first saw that epic episode of the anime as a kid where Ash's Charmeleon evolves.)

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Posturing is key to making Ridley work. We pretty much know Smash 4 Ridley is about Bowser/Rosalina's size and look here.

Other M Ridley and Samus.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...arge_Geothermal_Power_Plant_Pyrosphere_HD.jpg

Other M Ridley on all fours looks way smaller but still feels big.

http://nesterthelark.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/tan_metroid-otherm_2.png?w=595

Ridley walking and wings tucked.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130420184558/fantendo/images/b/b4/Ridley_struttin.gif

Heck im sure when they started working on playable Ridley they used Donkey Kongs body as a base. Both big hands, both hunched over, both long arms, both shorter legs then arms, and both large heads.

DK.

http://d1vr6n66ssr06c.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/WiiU_SmashBros_scrnC07_02_E3.jpg

Other M Ridley.

http://images.wikia.com/metroid/images/archive/f/f3/20100925182819!Ridley_mom.png

For real strap a pair of wings and a tail on DK and I couldn't even tell the 2 apart. :p

Top Bottom