• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
As much as the sal ramono leak has characters that quite a lot of people want. (examples: chrom shulk palutena) I really do not believe nor hope that the Ieak is true. (I mean come on, chorus men? who even wants them in!?)
I think they'd be cool.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Sakurai.
But don't worry, you just don't know that you want them yet. :troll:
Yes maybe your right! Who really wants characters like Ridley, King K. Rool, and Mewtwo anyway!? How dare I think this was a Nintendo ALL STAR game.

Deep down all we want are characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Chorus Men, R.O.B..... :troll: Hey we should also add Rusty from Rusty's Real Deal Baseball while were at it!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Yes maybe your right! Who really wants characters like Ridley, King K. Rool, and Mewtwo anyway!? How dare I think this was a Nintendo ALL STAR game.

Deep down all we want are characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Chorus Men, R.O.B..... :troll: Hey we should also add Rusty from Rusty's Real Deal Baseball while were at it!
Rusty's Forward Smash is a bat.
Ness deconfirmed :troll:

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman

AND MAYBE THAT OLD GUY FROM ART ACADEMY. OH AND ALSO CAPTAIN N THE GAME MASTER AS WELL! AND EVEN NESTER FROM NITENDO POWER

:troll:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Eh, I don't really mind obscure characters making it in. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only reason that WFT and Chorus Men get so much flak is that they're scapegoats for filling up the roster over more "deserving" characters. (like there's an upper limit for single-character reps of Nintendo franchises)

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Eh, I don't really mind obscure characters making it in. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only reason that WFT and Chorus Men get so much flak is that they're scapegoats for filling up the roster over more "deserving" characters. (like there's an upper limit for single-character reps of Nintendo franchises)
Thats exactly it. I honestly don't care who gets in as long as I get Ridley which I believe is finally happening.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Nah, it's not Vorash. The shadow is pretty blatantly Ridley.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I cleaned up your post the best I could. The major points that confused me were describing Ridley's tail-spike as a "talon" (I thought you were referring to Ridley's claws for a while) and comparing Ridley's hand-shadow with angelglory's picture of Ridley. I wasn't sure if you were arguing that angelglory's Ridley or the hand could afford to be smaller.

(Man, localization is fun. If I wasn't so atrocious at learning foreign languages, I could probably do this for a living.)

Please, PLEASE look over the edits I made to ensure that I didn't misinterpret your intended meaning.

EDIT: Geez, why is the spoiler formatting so screwed up? This is why we need a spoiler button...
you did good it does looks similar to mine

I forgot Ashley is another one

anyway did I fix part one enough I just need to do the hes too big part

yea I got confused by the spoiler format as well

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Someone's hopelessly desperate if they actually think that's Vorash on the stage.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Sakurai always knew we wanted Ridley King K. Rool and Mewtwo as Boss stage hazards... he loves us so...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Just let it go people. Ridley is DEAD for Smash 4.

He's in Crusade, you can play him there.
Um...no.
Just no.
Unlike Waluigi or Goroh or Saki or Wonder Red, we still have a ton of ambiguity on Ridley's status to just write him off as a mere stage hazard.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Um...no.
Just no.
Unlike Waluigi or Goroh or Saki or Wonder Red, we still have a ton of ambiguity on Ridley's status to just write him off as a mere stage hazard.
You're my friend, so I'm gonna go easy on you. Want some reasoning? Check the Official Character Discussion Thread for reasons WHY he is not a character, but a boss/hazard; things from myself, @GoldenYuiitusin , @Scoliosis Jones and others wilol debunk Ridley's chances.

D

Deleted member

Look, I would rather have Ridley be playable since he's the only "worthy" Metroid character that isn't Samus herself.

But I can't deny that the odds are heavily against his favor at this present time. It's ok to optimisitic about the chances, but some of you are taking it too far into denial.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
You're my friend, so I'm gonna go easy on you. Want some reasoning? Check the Official Character Discussion Thread for reasons WHY he is not a character, but a boss/hazard; things from myself, @GoldenYuiitusin , @Scoliosis Jones and others wilol debunk Ridley's chances.
Everything not said by Sakurai is completely subjective and cannot be written off as fact. There are people who can debunk Ridley, yes, but there are people who can give Ridley an argument on why he could be playable.

He has just as good a chance as any character. Unless Sakurai flat out dis confirms Ridley, he can be a character.

CCD23

Smash Cadet
There's something that has been bugging me that I'm surprised no one has mentioned before... And I think this HELPS Ridley's case...

During the "Ridley's" shadow part of the Direct, the caption says "Other bosses appear on other stages." Setting Ridley aside for a moment, having bosses appear on multiple stages seems like overkill to me. And the plural form of the nouns in the quote imply that there are at least two or more bosses and stages beyond Yellow Devil. Granted, none of us know exactly how many stages are like this nor the total amount of stages, but isn't the point of having a wide variety of stages is that the stages are all diverse? So why have the same concept on multiple stages? Yes, different bosses on different stages will probably do different things to mix things up a bit. But still, having a stage-specific character appear during matches for the sole purpose of disruption / mixing things up on multiple stages just seems like overkill and is also uncharacteristic of Sakurai. (Unless they are smaller, less obstructive characters such as Pokemon on Saffron City in Smash 64, Donkey Kong on 75m, Chimera on New Pork City, Pokemon on certain variations of Spear Pillar, etc... That would make more sense.)

To be honest, from what I've seen, having to fight Yellow Devil in the middle of a match just seems like it would be obnoxious and annoying to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of stage hazards and play on ALL stages in Melee and Brawl. But having this sort of large, obstructive character on multiple stages, if it's true, kills some of the hype I have for the upcoming stages. It also does not seem like a wise choice when designing stages.

With all of that being said, I think the "Other bosses appear on other stages" actually helps Ridley's chances to be playable. Why? Again, having the same concept for a stage hazard on multiple stages is both overkill and uncharacteristic of Sakurai. Having Yellow Devil and Ridley on Pyrosphere (especially if he's retained his size from Brawl) would be overkill and unlike Sakurai in my book, especially if there are MORE bosses on stages beyond those two.

My final point is: I believe we would have Yellow Devil on Dr. Wily's Castle stage, less obstructive bosses/hazards on other stages and Ridley being a playable character with Sakurai trolling us this whole time. Now THAT would be characteristic of Sakurai. :yeahboi:

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Everything not said by Sakurai is completely subjective and cannot be written off as fact. There are people who can debunk Ridley, yes, but there are people who can give Ridley an argument on why he could be playable.

He has just as good a chance as any character. Unless Sakurai flat out dis confirms Ridley, he can be a character.
Ok, but don't be all butthurt when it turns out he's not playable. I like him too but I'm not blinded by bias that he's a shoo-in. Japan doesn't want him as much as we do, and Sakurai tends to cater to them a tad more than us.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Look, I would rather have Ridley be playable since he's the only "worthy" Metroid character that isn't Samus herself.

But I can't deny that the odds are heavily against his favor at this present time. It's ok to optimisitic about the chances, but some of you are taking it too far into denial.
Um...Denial?

No, arguing that Wonder Red still has a chance because they showed his trophy is denial. Noticing how tiny and choppy a supposed "boss" is is analysis.

We're not just deflecting any and all evidence against him, we're noticing things that other people would just write off. Like how Ridley's wings make him bigger than he appears. Or that Mother Brain, an assist trophy, is inexplicably bigger than a boss. Or the total lack of information about the Pyrosphere stage itself.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ok, but don't be all butthurt when it turns out he's not playable. I like him too but I'm not blinded by bias that he's a shoo-in. Japan doesn't want him as much as we do, and Sakurai tends to cater to them a tad more than us.
Japan didn't want Little Mac either, and here we are.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

I think the term you were looking for was "delusion".

As we (or at least, most of us) acknowledge the situation Ridley is in, hence, not in denial. We could be in delusion if we still think Ridley is still as likely as he was before the Direct, but not in denial.

I think...

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Is it just me or I'm noticing that the whole purpose of the debate is entirely pointless?

Just think about it we are arguing about his CHANCES which normally involve interpretation. But someone really need to tell me why some people ARE SO SURE which must be proven by facts only.

I'm tired to repeat it HIS FATE CAN'T BE PROVEN BY FACTS ONLY!!!

I'm really considering to reduce my talk about him. I see people that are sure about hazard but their fact can be interpreted the other way so it's not solid enough. If you are so sure prove me WHITOUT ANY FORM OF DOUBTS that he's a boss/playable and you must uses only the potd quote and the direct clip.

I said that I think he's playable but here, it assumes that Sakurai knew about ridley's popularity which can't be proven for sure (so, it;s opinion not fact here). But the ridley clip IS DUBIOUS FACTS.

Quote this if you call me delusional (and I talk to anyone here) and I will stop arguing if you can prove me without any doubts that he's a boss and I will accept it and apologize for my mistake but just do it.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
You all seem to forget one thing- Ridley was a boss in Brawl's SSE. Other boss characters appearing could be Sakurai saying, "Remember that boss in SSE? He's on this stage too. And all these stages. Because he's playable. You can play him. Go forth."

fuljak

Smash Rookie
Is it just me or I'm noticing that the whole purpose of the debate is entirely pointless?

Just think about it we are arguing about his CHANCES which normally involve interpretation. But someone really need to tell me why some people ARE SO SURE which must be proven by facts only.

I'm tired to repeat it HIS FATE CAN'T BE PROVEN BY FACTS ONLY!!!

I'm really considering to reduce my talk about him. I see people that are sure about hazard but their fact can be interpreted the other way so it's not solid enough. If you are so sure prove me WHITOUT ANY FORM OF DOUBTS that he's a boss/playable and you must uses only the potd quote and the direct clip.

I said that I think he's playable but here, it assumes that Sakurai knew about ridley's popularity which can't be proven for sure (so, it;s opinion not fact here). But the ridley clip IS DUBIOUS FACTS.

Quote this if you call me delusional (and I talk to anyone here) and I will stop arguing if you can prove me without any doubts that he's a boss and I will accept it and apologize for my mistake but just do it.
My post about his jerky shadow several pages back is exactly what you're looking for

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I never implied Ridley was a shoo-in, as his chances are rather...murky from a non-speculation standpoint. I won't be disappointed over Ridley's exclusion, but it'd be a nice bonus prize if he was in.

On a side not, I thank you for being civil about this. Some people in the past were quite...obnoxious to say the least.

D

Deleted member

Um...Denial?

No, arguing that Wonder Red still has a chance because they showed his trophy is denial. Noticing how tiny and choppy a supposed "boss" is is analysis.

We're not just deflecting any and all evidence against him, we're noticing things that other people would just write off. Like how Ridley's wings make him bigger than he appears. Or that Mother Brain, an assist trophy, is inexplicably bigger than a boss. Or the total lack of information about the Pyrosphere stage itself.
-It's pointless to determine how "tiny" Ridley is just by his shadow.
-Define "choppy".
-The same problem with Ridley's wings applied to Meta Ridley in Brawl.

Meta Ridley was at a decent size to work with as a character (though still being bigger than Bowser) outside the wings (and possibly the tail).

-Andross is an Assist Trophy that's bigger than Ridley in Brawl. He's still pretty damn huge in Smash 4.

-Lack of info about Pyrosphere would not be in support of Ridley. In fact, the less we know about the stage, the more worrisome the situation is. Especially with multiple hints that Ridley has something to do with the stage.

I think the term you were looking for was "delusion".
As we (or at least, most of us) acknowledge the situation Ridley is in, hence, not in denial. We could be in delusion if we still think Ridley is still as likely as he was before the Direct, but not in denial.
I think...
I was going to use "delusion", but it seemed to me as if multiple people were denying the situation as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom