• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Basically, Ridley while flying would face straight left or straight right. This would cause one wing to be in the foreground and one to be in the background while he is flying, essentially making them VISIBLE but not part of his hitboxes.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I just watched that like 50 times and Pickachu does NOT get picked up.
So you have definitive evidence of the actual event and not the shadow and can factually share with us that Pikachu wasn't picked up? Well then what are you doing? Give us the footage that isn't nothing but a bunch of shadow movement.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
So you have definitive evidence of the actual event and not the shadow and can factually share with us that Pikachu wasn't picked up? Well then what are you doing? Give us the footage that isn't nothing but a bunch of shadow movement.
Bein an ass, Francis.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Yeah some people say its not happening cause we can't see the grab or the let go clearly. I definitely believe Pikachu is there though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just watched that like 50 times and Pickachu does NOT get picked up.
Guys...

I agree with him.

I can't see Pikachu at all once he walks off screen.

The shadow might be Ridley's feet dropping down if anything.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Well you mentioned Francis and I thought it was a Left 4 Dead thing ANDIWASJUSTMAKINGAJOKEGOD
You gotta preface each thing with "I hate" for that to work, man.

"I hate Ridley."
"I hate Palutena."
"I hate Pikachu not being grabbed by Ridley."
"I hate light green Yoshi."

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Sehnsucht I mean I thought you were saying if I'm as cute as my avatar then you'd want me to blow you... but i see you didn't think I'm cute at all... you were just talking about the poop...

NO I'M NOT CRYING. I JUST... I JUST WENT DOWN ON A LADY IS ALL AND MY FACE GOT A LITTLE WET GEEZ LEAVE ME ALONE *Sniffle*

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't know. I can see Pikachu when I look at it pretty well in particular parts of the gif. And I have no idea why other people can't see it. But shrug.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I don't know. I can see Pikachu when I look at it pretty well in particular parts of the gif. And I have no idea why other people can't see it. But shrug.
Unless you're talking about the very end of the clip where Ridley has some sort of spasm, I'm not sure you're in your right mind wit hthis.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I watched it again, and what I THOUGHT was Pikachu's tail is probably Ridley's tail

LOL

I'm with the NO PICK UP PIKACHU folks again

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's weird because in my opinion, Pikachu is actually harder to see when you stop the picture. But when it's moving I can definitely see Pikachu's body and tail in Ridley's foot.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
It's weird because in my opinion, Pikachu is actually harder to see when you stop the picture. But when it's moving I can definitely see Pikachu's body and tail in Ridley's foot.
Looking more over it, that's because that's Ridley's tail. The shadow separates from the foot as Ridley swings back and forth. It just looks like Pikachu's tail because of how it goes over the grate. I can see little points that might still be Pikachu's ears, but they can just as easily be Ridley's toes.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Looking more over it, that's because that's Ridley's tail. The shadow separates from the foot as Ridley swings back and forth. It just looks like Pikachu's tail because of how it goes over the grate. I can see little points that might still be Pikachu's ears, but they can just as easily be Ridley's toes.
The thing is, Ridley's tail is not flat. Nor is Ridley's foot. Pikachu's tail is distinctively flat and thin. You can see the lightning bolt shape of Pikachu's tail turn sideways and become extremely thin and papery in the shadow. That would be Pikachu.

D

Deleted member

I'm having a hard time seeing Pikachu anywhere in the shadow, just looks like Ridley's foot to me.
And how will this in any way help his chances to begin with, may I ask?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I'm having a hard time seeing Pikachu anywhere in the shadow, just looks like Ridley's foot to me.
Ok the tail is actually Ridley's, with the perspective making it resemble Pikachu's. BUT the left foot is a singular blob, while the left foo has open space between the toes. So while Pikachu may have been grabbed, its tail is not visible in the shadow. Slow down the gfycat to .125 to see it better.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Doesn't really effect his chances imo. Regardless of whether he grabs Pikachu and just sits there, or just hovers there in general, it's still very unbosslike.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ok the tail is actually Ridley's, with the perspective making it resemble Pikachu's. BUT the left foot is a singular blob, while the left foo has open space between the toes. So while Pikachu may have been grabbed, its tail is not visible in the shadow. Slow down the gfycat to .125 to see it better.
You aren't understanding. You can see the tail turn with the swaying motion of the shadow and it is easily possible to see the distinctive broad paper-thinness of Pikachu's tail. No perspective is going to contort Ridley's tail to make it go from round to two dimensional and suddenly grow a different shape on the end of it. Or maybe I'm wrong and my perception of reality has been horribly distorted for years. That's fine too, but somehow I think that's slightly less likely.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I do kinda see it now (only very slightly), but my second question still stands;
why in the ever loving hell are you guys discussing this anyway
Doesn't really effect his chances imo. Regardless of whether he grabs Pikachu and just sits there, or just hovers there in general, it's still very unbosslike.
True, but to be fair the Yellow Devil kinda just stands there and shoots, maybe moving every once in a while. Not saying Ridley isn't going the be playable, but honestly you guys are just over-analyzing this way to much. We'll know his fate come E3, just have a bit of patience. It's only a bit over a month away, after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It doesn't help it, but it doesn't hurt it either, which is why I don't particularly care if Ridley's grappling Pikachu or not.

Bosses that can grab characters:

Master Hand
Crazy Hand
Tabuu

Characters that can grab characters AND have a range of mobility:
Donkey Kong
Kirby
King Dedede

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
You aren't understanding. You can see the tail turn with the swaying motion of the shadow and it is easily possible to see the distinctive broad paper-thinness of Pikachu's tail. No perspective is going to contort Ridley's tail to make it go from round to two dimensional and suddenly grow a different shape on the end of it. Or maybe I'm wrong and my perception of reality has been horribly distorted for years. That's fine too, but somehow I think that's slightly less likely.
And you aren't seeing that tail actually swings separately from the blob on the left foot. It might be a perspective thing with Pikachu's tail, but it can also be a perspective thing with Ridley's.

Yeah, I do kinda see it now (only very slightly), but my second question still stands;
why in the ever loving hell are you guys discussing this anyway

True, but to be fair the Yellow Devil kinda just stands there and shoots, maybe moving every once in a while. Not saying Ridley isn't going the be playable, but honestly you guys are just over-analyzing this way to much. We'll know his fate come E3, just have a bit of patience. It's only a bit over a month away, after all.
Because, I ams a tones chaser.

Last edited:

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
So uhm, I was looking at the image I made where I compared Bowser's size to Ridley's, and realized it's actually not even close to accurate, so I decided to make another one using some perspective tricks. I put a lot of thought into this one so it should be the definitive reference for his size.

Sorry if it's confusing.

Orange is Bowser's size.
Purple is the size of Ridley's shadow in its original position.
White is the size of Ridley's shadow lined up with Bowser's. That way we can compare the two more accurately.

So on the right, that's Ridley's size. He's... almost twice as tall as Bowser. That doesn't bode well for him. :/

EDIT: cleaned the images up a bit.

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
So uhm, I was looking at the image I made where I compared Bowser's size to Ridley's, and realized it's actually not even close to accurate, so I decided to make another one using some perspective tricks. I put a lot of thought into this one so it should be the definitive reference for his size.

Sorry if it's confusing.

Orange is Bowser's size.
Purple is the size of Ridley's shadow in its original position.
White is the size of Ridley's shadow lined up with Bowser's. That way we can compare the two more accurately.

So on the right, that's Ridley's size. He's... almost twice as tall as Bowser. That doesn't bode well for him. :/
I see lines and dots, but I sure as heck can't read it.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0185.JPG

xD I think I'm starting to like doing those interactions between Ridley and Roidley....

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
I see lines and dots, but I sure as heck can't read it.
Sorry, I cleaned it up a bit, hopefully it's easier to read.

You mean, if Ridley is standing tall?

If that's the case he can simply be hunched over like he always do.
No, that height is considering he IS hunched over, meaning he would be even taller if he was standing straight.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
View attachment 13654

xD I think I'm starting to like doing those interactions between Ridley and Roidley....
Its a classic brotherly bonding story.

The elder is wiser of the ways of the world, and utterly loathes his younger self.

The younger is more naive and innocent, and looks up to his older self out of respect and fear, but not affection.

And at the moment they finally grow to accept each other, Samus blows one of them to smithereens, causing the other to attempt avenging his brother's death.

Top Bottom