• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
'Hey, that isn't Ridley, it's the new and improved Falco.'
This thread is absolutely ridiculous...

I cannot wait until Ridley is just revealed and all of this can shut up.
Seriously, unsure if Pikachu is picked up?
Even if he didnt, clearly Ridley attempts to pick Pikachu up- Pikachu even runs away being CHASED.
If you refuse to believe Pikachu is not grabbed, not being chased, you better damn well not have a problem believing Sakurai is trolling and teasing out Ridley (for every clear answer that he would not be so intentionally angering fans).

The shadow is not too big.
Ridley is not too big.
The game is not made for playstation.
Master Chief is still out.

Seriously, what is this thread now?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sorry, I cleaned it up a bit, hopefully it's easier to read.

No, that height is considering he IS hunched over, meaning he would be even taller if he was standing straight.
I've always known that there can be characters that are potential bigger than Bowser in SSB. But the way you made that picture makes it seem too good to be true. :/

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Its a classic brotherly bonding story.

The elder is wiser of the ways of the world, and utterly loathes his younger self.

The younger is more naive and innocent, and looks up to his older self out of respect and fear, but not affection.

And at the moment they finally grow to accept each other, Samus blows one of them to smithereens, causing the other to attempt avenging his brother's death.
O___O I think I'm going to have a bit of problems with the "avenging" part.....

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Not that size arguments are gonna get us anywhere, especially not when they're based on moving shadows,

but I'm preeetty sure Bowser is bigger than that. Sakurai made a point of demonstrating that he's bigger than in previous installments:

And here's him on Pyrosphere, compared to Samus (who you can also compare to the orange square):

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
Oh dear.

But, how exactly you got those proportions? Sorry if I don't get it, geometry is not exactly my forte. If that's even a matter of geometry.
It's a bit complicated, but well, I found the exact position of Ridley's shadow like this:

Then I figured out how big a shadow of Bowser would be on this stage using that screenshot that has Fox casting a shadow as reference.

Then using some perspective stuff, I positioned Ridley's shadow to overlap Bowser's so that they can be compared accurately. The mistake I made originally was that I compared their sizes without having in mind that, because Ridley's shadow was farther from Bowser's, it looked smaller than it actually was.

Then I rotated the little squares in the picture 45 degrees so that they are exact measurements, and compared them.

...I get the feeling I didn't explain myself well at all. xD

@ TeenGirlSquad TeenGirlSquad I actually wanted to use that picture of Bowser on Pyrosphere as reference, but I couldn't exactly pinpoint the shape of the shadow, so I didn't think it was appropriate. I agree the picture I made might not be 100% accurate, though.

Last edited:

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Judging by how jerky Ridley's movement in that Pikachu pick up clip was, he moves like playable character.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
I might try to revise the analysis picture, in case Bowser actually is bigger than I made him to be, but it'll have to be tomorrow cause I gotta go to sleep. X_X

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Or have Ridley dance on Roidley's grave, either/or.

But seriously, they would make a great brains/brawn duo. Like George and Lenny!
Knowing how Ridley actually is.....it would be the dance on his weird clone's grave....but I will think about it on make it the other way xD

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Some guy on GameFAQs claimed that, at the beginning of the clip, it looks as though Ridley's shadow is entering from the background and, that, at the clip's end, it looks as though his shadow is returning to the background. Can anyone with better vision of the clip determine whether there's any validity to these claims?

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Some guy on GameFAQs claimed that, at the beginning of the clip, it looks as though Ridley's shadow is entering from the background and, that, at the clip's end, it looks as though his shadow is returning to the background. Can anyone with better vision of the clip determine whether there's any validity to these claims?
He's a known Ridley-hater who tries his best to assert any possible point as being against Ridley. All I'm seeing is Ridley moving left and the shadow being a shadow.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
He's a known Ridley-hater who tries his best to assert any possible point as being against Ridley. All I'm seeing is Ridley moving left and the shadow being a shadow.
I wasn't talking about that troll, there was some guy earlier in the thread as well. It doesn't look that way to me, but I wanted to seeking additional input just in case.

D

Deleted member

Doesn't the X Parasite KILL Roidley in the process of becoming Ridley X?
Doesn't Zebes KILL Ridley in the process of blowing up before Roidley's conception?

....though to be serious, "Roidley" was already dead before the X-Parasite got to him. It absorbed DNA from his dried frozen corpse and caused it to shatter.

D

Deleted member

xD Ridley-X canonically is Roidley so.....It would be a time paradox I guess...and Ridley-X is too hard to draw....I have only drew him once....
No, Neo Ridley/Ridley-X is an X-Parasite using "Roidley's" DNA to take his form. Just like SA-X and Dark Samus are not Samus, but other lifeforms taking on Samus' form by absorbing DNA.
I believe I've been over this before.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh, I figured he'd somehow survived being killed and was cryogenically frozen or some BS

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It doesn't really look that way to me. In fact, I'm a bit worried that Ridley's animations in that shadow seemed...limited. That they don't look as detailed as Pikachu's walking mode.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think there is one major problem with the shadow math.

Thing is...we don't know how high he is. That will affect the shadow in several wonky ways.

Then lighting.

Then angles.

So... I wouldn't rely on shadow math.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I think there is one major problem with the shadow math.

Thing is...we don't know how high he is. That will affect the shadow in several wonky ways.

Then lighting.

Then angles.

So... I wouldn't rely on shadow math.
Never trust a mathematical calculation without all the variables, children.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think I can safely say that he's fairly close to the ground.

I mean, as soon as Pikachu is out of the screen, Ridley comes flying (or hopping, I dunno) in and we can see his wings and stinger tail for a brief moment before they disappear. I seriously doubt he's far away in the air from the platform, because we wouldn't have been able to get a glimpse of his body at all.

But Other M!Ridley was never a particularly huge character to begin with (in fact, he's among the smallest bosses in the game), so it makes sense if he wasn't as big as his Brawl counterparts.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I think I can safely say that he's fairly close to the ground.

I mean, as soon as Pikachu is out of the screen, Ridley comes flying (or hopping, I dunno) in and we can see his wings and stinger tail for a brief moment before they disappear. I seriously doubt he's far away in the air from the platform, because we wouldn't have been able to get a glimpse of his body at all.
I'm probably wrong about it, but it looks like Ridley comes flying in. The animation is strange, like he's holding his body upward and staying in one place while wings flap to keep him there (like, for say, an easily controllable recovery move), then it looks like he roars, and after a short moment goes to give chase to Pikachu. I can see the move also doubling as an air grapple move (or another special being an aerial grab), 'cause it doesn't look like Ridley ever touches the ground.

That's just my two cents. X3

So do you think Ridley will be the only new villain and heavyweight we get?
Assuming we GET Ridley, I'd say K. Rool's probably got a fair shot. Villains need love, too.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So do you think Ridley will be the only new villain and heavyweight we get?
I want to say that King K. Rool is likely, given that we have the Kremlings in Smash Run, but I don't want to get too overly optimistic. I remember getting extremely hyped for Ridley in Brawl when his theme music and home stage (Norfair) were posted on the Dojo, only to get crushed when I found out he wasn't playable.

If neither K. Rool or Ridley are revealed to be playable at E3, then I don't know what to say anymore.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
GUYS

What if Other M Ridley was deliberately made bulky and muscled so that he could be reasonable scaled down without looking fragile as a twig?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I want to say that King K. Rool is likely, given that we have the Kremlings in Smash Run, but I don't want to get too overly optimistic. I remember getting extremely hyped for Ridley in Brawl when his theme music and home stage (Norfair) were posted on the Dojo, only to get crushed when I found out he wasn't playable.

If neither K. Rool or Ridley are revealed to be playable at E3, then I don't know what to say anymore.
I'll have a pretty good idea of what to say.

It'll be something along the lines of, 'It's time Sakurai stepped down from Smash.' When you stop listening to your fans for your crossover fighter when you've blatantly acknowledged several times that you're aware certain characters are desired and, instead, put in Wii Fit Trainer and Chorus Men, well.. shoot, it might be time for fresh talent to take a crack at paying attention to the consumer.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Fun fact: In the Japanese version of the trailers, those splash pages basically say the same thing:

Villager joins the battle!
Mega Man joins the battle!
Rosalina joins the battle!
Little Mac joins the battle!
Greninja joins the battle!

So because we're lucky English speakers, the odds of a size joke on Ridley's debut trailer are incredibly high.
Ridley makes his BIG debut!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'll have a pretty good idea of what to say.

It'll be something along the lines of, 'It's time Sakurai stepped down from Smash.' When you stop listening to your fans for your crossover fighter when you've blatantly acknowledged several times that you're aware certain characters are desired and, instead, put in Wii Fit Trainer and Chorus Men, well.. shoot, it might be time for fresh talent to take a crack at paying attention to the consumer.
At the time, I think he was kinda oblivious to fan demand because Twitter and Miiverse hadn't been created yet. And to be fair, I wasn't expecting Ridley either.

But Other M has passed, Samus stupidly acknowledged why Ridley is so dangerous and awesome and important to Metroid, and Saks has been teasing the fans for ages about what the hell Pyrosphere does.

If they're not playable at E3, I expect at the very least for them to be final unlockable characters that Sakurai wanted kept under wraps.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Sorry, I cleaned it up a bit, hopefully it's easier to read.

No, that height is considering he IS hunched over, meaning he would be even taller if he was standing straight.
Don`t forget that he also had large wings visible in his shadow.
xD Ridley-X canonically is Roidley so.....It would be a time paradox I guess...and Ridley-X is too hard to draw....I have only drew him once....
Ridley-X isn`t Roidley nor he is Ridley. He is an X-Parasite that took his form with DNA and escaped the room. So, when Samus was fighting him, Roidley`s shattered frozen dried corpse still was in that room.
EDIT: D`oh! I didn`t noticed that it already was said that he isn`t same thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom