• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I think there is one major problem with the shadow math.

Thing is...we don't know how high he is. That will affect the shadow in several wonky ways.

Then lighting.

Then angles.

So... I wouldn't rely on shadow math.
Shadow math? That sounds kind of cool. It's like math for necromancers.

Then again, adding "shadow" before any subject makes it infinitely more awesome.

Shadow Ridley.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well we can't see the characters and I don't think the grab effect has a shadow. :ohwell: Can someone prove me wrong?

Also does the get away grab animation have teleporting too???
Oh, right...it doesn`t has a shadow unfortunately, but we could see it if Pikachu would be grabbed when Ridley was low enough.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Oh, right...it doesn`t has a shadow unfortunately, but we could see it if Pikachu would be grabbed when Ridley was low enough.
Unless he has crazy horizontal range and grabs with his tail. Its really hard to say with the whole Pikachu thing.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Several pages back it was mentioned that Ridley's wings could expand while in flight but shrink back when on the ground. Pit has the same thing with Wings of Icarus in Brawl. While doing the move his wings do become larger, if only marginally. So Ridley having a similar mechanic isn't impossible.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
So I revised my analysis. I realized I did make Bowser's shadow too small, so now I made it a more accurate size. I'll just skip straight to the conclusion as to not overcomplicate anything.

Again, Ridley's size was estimated by his shadow, having in mind that he's hunched over and not including the wings. It's a little better, but might still be too tall for a playable character.

But man, like some guy said before there are plenty of things that factor into this, such as not knowing if he's on a playable character plane or in the foreground/background, so I think I'll stop trying to analyze the shadow.

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

no offense but...There's a limit to a person's stupidity ......K. Rool here takes the cake...

WHO THE HELL WASHES THEIR HANDS WHILE WEARING BOXING GLOVES?:facepalm:

And K. Rool is dumb enough to not notice Ridley using SARCASM:p

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Ridley is both a stage hazard and a playable character, then I imagine that it would go like this.

In Kirby Air Ride, you encounter King Dedede as a boss character in the event mode for that game. In it, he's huge, as in twice the size of Kirby and could easily kill you if possible.

But after you defeat him, you unlock him as a playable character. Is he still huge? Well...

Look at him. He's downright tiny compared to how he looked as a boss. There isn't even an explanation for this. He's smaller than some of his own underlings.

Finally, this game was directed by Sakurai himself. Yes, he's shown bias towards his own creations in regards to making them playable, but this is a possibility that could conceivably happen.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
If Ridley is both a stage hazard and a playable character, then I imagine that it would go like this.

In Kirby Air Ride, you encounter King Dedede as a boss character in the event mode for that game. In it, he's huge, as in twice the size of Kirby and could easily kill you if possible.

But after you defeat him, you unlock him as a playable character. Is he still huge? Well...

Look at him. He's downright tiny compared to how he looked as a boss. There isn't even an explanation for this. He's smaller than some of his own underlings.

Finally, this game was directed by Sakurai himself. Yes, he's shown bias towards his own creations in regards to making them playable, but this is a possibility that could conceivably happen.
x/ Don't remind me of the Dedede fight.....I tried like 50 times....when I was finally able to defeat him, it was a glorious day.....God....

:3 It is gonna be awesome be able to fight Dedede with Ridley....avenging all the times he killed me with one hit...

majora_787

Smash Hero
... Did we really try to use Ridley having a unique moveset capability as possible evidence of him NOT being playable?

Come on now. There's a point where you're trying too hard. Like, *way* too hard.

Also, I dunno. It's possible, but I just don't believe Ridley is going to be both a boss and a playable character. I'm thinking at this point he's probably just the latter.

D

Deleted member

What should we discuss now? We have already examinated that shadow more than Gamexplain has did with anything in all of their videos

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What should we discuss now? We have already examinated that shadow more than Gamexplain has did with anything in all of their videos
Um...why does Ridley has (at least in Brawl) that part on the middle joint of his neck? How does he eats? What happened to him and Samus after that party that ended with a loud BANG and planet-bursting KABOOOM?

About those reveal trailers - maybe it will be similar to Melee opening, but without TEH BABY and with more ruins and unconsicious characters?

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Warning Received
So I revised my analysis. I realized I did make Bowser's shadow too small, so now I made it a more accurate size. I'll just skip straight to the conclusion as to not overcomplicate anything.

Again, Ridley's size was estimated by his shadow, having in mind that he's hunched over and not including the wings. It's a little better, but might still be too tall for a playable character.

But man, like some guy said before there are plenty of things that factor into this, such as not knowing if he's on a playable character plane or in the foreground/background, so I think I'll stop trying to analyze the shadow.
If Ridley is this small then wow. Yellow Devil is waaaay bigger and on a smaller stage.

And Ridley is smaller and on a huge stage......Doesn't add up there is plenty of room to make him larger.

<Image removed, due to having inappropriate contents>

Well at least we know for a fact Ridley is smaller then he has ever been. We can see both Bowsers and Samus's shadows here btw for people interested.

Moderator Edit: Removed inappropriate image.

My first warning! But real talk I just posted a picture of Pyrosphere here. O.o

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
If Ridley is this small then wow. Yellow Devil is waaaay bigger and on a smaller stage.

And Ridley is smaller and on a huge stage......Doesn't add up there is plenty of room to make him larger.

<Image removed, due to having inappropriate contents>

Well at least we know for a fact Ridley is smaller then he has ever been. We can see both Bowsers and Samus's shadows here btw for people interested.
Even if size comparisons have a margin of error for a number of reasons, Ridley is DEFINITELY smaller than Yellow Devil by a good amount. Which IS bizarre, since Yellow Devil is on a much smaller stage. Heck, I think the Dark Emperor is ALSO on a smaller stage, but I'm not sure on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Found this Remix, considering the Wii U version is going to have tons of music :rolleyes:
Btw, Sakurai's ultimate troll would be to have his fate ambiguous until release, however after playing in the Metroid stages a determined number of times, you fight him as a boss(like YD), after defeating him, well, you unlock him

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Even if size comparisons have a margin of error for a number of reasons, Ridley is DEFINITELY smaller than Yellow Devil by a good amount. Which IS bizarre, since Yellow Devil is on a much smaller stage. Heck, I think the Dark Emperor is ALSO on a smaller stage, but I'm not sure on that.
Yep this actually might the smallest Smash 4 stage AND he seems bigger then our Smash 4 Ridley.

Ridley confirmed for smallest boss in the game so far in my eyes (Assuming he is a boss which I don't believe)

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This is for those of us (including myself) who aren't familiar with everything Ridley did in the games. Who knows, maybe we might discover something important that will help with analyzing what we know so far a little more accurately.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well hes a slam dunk thing if we find a character shadow thats as tall as pikachu on the pillar its. Slam dunk because ridleys hand was on it when it just appeared

D

Deleted member

This is for those of us (including myself) who aren't familiar with everything Ridley did in the games. Who knows, maybe we might discover something important that will help with analyzing what we know so far a little more accurately.

My goodness, I was just watching this video, tell me your secrets!

Xhampi

Smash Lord

They grow up so fast ;u;

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Personally, I don't even think it's worth arguing about his size and shadow any more: I think his playable FOR SURE this time.

I made a post a few pages back saying that the way Sakurai waited to give no info about ridley since the direct would not even make any sense to just REVEAL him as hazard. The only way that my logic would not make any sense is that Sakurai would be unaware of his popularity which is practically impossible since he acknowledged megaman and mewtwo.

For a quick recap, all the argumentation about the potd quote and the direct all leads to one simple fact: those "info" was purposely done so that we can't be sure by putting ALL the evidences with doubles sense. Those evidences all points to 2 distinct possibilities:

Sakurai is hiding his playability
and
Sakurai is hyping the fact that he's an hazard.

But here's the catch it's not just the evidence, it's the whole way that Sakurai took which leads to the same possibilities (in other words, he did this either because of the 2 outcome listed above).

This was done on April 8, 2 months before E3 and now, a month passed without any info but Nintendo has started the E3 hype which means that any hype kill would be a HUGE let down and if you look at http://e3.nintendo.com/, you can see the line "Game fans, this is the one you’ve been waiting for. Tune in to the Nintendo Digital Event at 9 a.m. PT for a look at what’s in store for 2014 and beyond." with a big title saying "save the date" and an option to save it to a calendar such as google. I think we can agree that they want you to get hyped so you don't want to disappoint the people here.

However, revealing ridley as hazard via potd during this time would do the opposite and unlike if it was posted let's say a week after the direct, it would kill the hype but come back to normal after and still have time to actually get people hyped for E3.

So, it wouldn't make any sense to reveal him as hazard here and at E3, it would make even less sense because the goal of the E3 is to keep people excited which includes showing a lot of info kept secret until this event to concentrate the excitation after it so that people would be motivated to buy games after this summer. They want to remember that they have X games during the summer but here, it would again the opposite again. You're noticing that on EVERY deconfirmation, Sakurai do it directly either to NOT get people hyped for a character that was somewhat popular. Now, I can agree that it's opinion that he did not do this for ridley but I think it is undeniable that because he would have known about the request, revealing him at E3 directly after being ambiguous would likely bring MASSIVE disappointment which is what Nintendo is trying to NOT do.

The only time left would just be after E3 or no info until release but they don't make any sense because it's clear that Sakurai did the situation for an unknown purpose. Revealing him there would just means that there was no purpose which contradicts with what I just said. Remember he's either hiding his playability or hyping hazard and revealing as hazard here would just not bring the hype he would have wanted. This is also true for his playability because it would have been done on E3 to get people hyped and since there's no possibility for him to be revealed playable on any potd and that he would have talked about it before the release, then there's only one outcome possible:

RIDLEY IS PLAYABLE AND IT WILL BE REVEALED AT E3!!!

No one got any counter to this argument on my last opinion posts. You can't call me delusional unless you're saying that my logic is flawed (if it's the case, then please quote this and tell me what's wrong). I only used deduction based on actual facts no interpretation or ambiguity.

So, I can finally prove that ridley is playable by facts and logic only and please, if you are claiming that I am delusional, then, feel free to quote this. It would be VERY appreciated because, unlike others, I would admit my mistake, but only if there's mistakes.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I find your interpretation of Roidley adorable, for some reason. xP
xD Maybe its because I make him act like some kind of naïve child, and I got that "serious" expression on his eyes off.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Personally, I don't even think it's worth arguing about his size and shadow any more: I think his playable FOR SURE this time.

I made a post a few pages back saying that the way Sakurai waited to give no info about ridley since the direct would not even make any sense to just REVEAL him as hazard. The only way that my logic would not make any sense is that Sakurai would be unaware of his popularity which is practically impossible since he acknowledged megaman and mewtwo.

For a quick recap, all the argumentation about the potd quote and the direct all leads to one simple fact: those "info" was purposely done so that we can't be sure by putting ALL the evidences with doubles sense. Those evidences all points to 2 distinct possibilities:

Sakurai is hiding his playability
and
Sakurai is hyping the fact that he's an hazard.

But here's the catch it's not just the evidence, it's the whole way that Sakurai took which leads to the same possibilities (in other words, he did this either because of the 2 outcome listed above).

This was done on April 8, 2 months before E3 and now, a month passed without any info but Nintendo has started the E3 hype which means that any hype kill would be a HUGE let down and if you look at http://e3.nintendo.com/, you can see the line "Game fans, this is the one you’ve been waiting for. Tune in to the Nintendo Digital Event at 9 a.m. PT for a look at what’s in store for 2014 and beyond." with a big title saying "save the date" and an option to save it to a calendar such as google. I think we can agree that they want you to get hyped so you don't want to disappoint the people here.

However, revealing ridley as hazard via potd during this time would do the opposite and unlike if it was posted let's say a week after the direct, it would kill the hype but come back to normal after and still have time to actually get people hyped for E3.

So, it wouldn't make any sense to reveal him as hazard here and at E3, it would make even less sense because the goal of the E3 is to keep people excited which includes showing a lot of info kept secret until this event to concentrate the excitation after it so that people would be motivated to buy games after this summer. They want to remember that they have X games during the summer but here, it would again the opposite again. You're noticing that on EVERY deconfirmation, Sakurai do it directly either to NOT get people hyped for a character that was somewhat popular. Now, I can agree that it's opinion that he did not do this for ridley but I think it is undeniable that because he would have known about the request, revealing him at E3 directly after being ambiguous would likely bring MASSIVE disappointment which is what Nintendo is trying to NOT do.

The only time left would just be after E3 or no info until release but they don't make any sense because it's clear that Sakurai did the situation for an unknown purpose. Revealing him there would just means that there was no purpose which contradicts with what I just said. Remember he's either hiding his playability or hyping hazard and revealing as hazard here would just not bring the hype he would have wanted. This is also true for his playability because it would have been done on E3 to get people hyped and since there's no possibility for him to be revealed playable on any potd and that he would have talked about it before the release, then there's only one outcome possible:

RIDLEY IS PLAYABLE AND IT WILL BE REVEALED AT E3!!!

No one got any counter to this argument on my last opinion posts. You can't call me delusional unless you're saying that my logic is flawed (if it's the case, then please quote this and tell me what's wrong). I only used deduction based on actual facts no interpretation or ambiguity.

So, I can finally prove that ridley is playable by facts and logic only and please, if you are claiming that I am delusional, then, feel free to quote this. It would be VERY appreciated because, unlike others, I would admit my mistake, but only if there's mistakes.
I agree and I want to add that Sakurai KNOWS what we want.

Listen to this line for me please everyone.

http://youtu.be/vQD1yJinzeQ?t=2m47s

"At last the long awaited Villager" He knew people wanted that character, he knew Americans wanted Little Mac and if he knows Americans wanted Little Mac he KNOWS we want Ridley badly.

R0Y

Smash Master
Woo-hoo, Wonder Red disconfirmed but Ridley still in the running! Take that trolls!

Believe!

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman

I've had that game for ten years and never knew he was playable :/

Top Bottom