• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That's going to be hard for brightly-lit areas...
Ridley has chameleon-like properties, dur. Bright areas or darkness, it matters not.

Bleh, that shadow speculation. Perspective can be a ***** huh?

bobadz

Smash Ace
Another day another disconfirmation that's not Ridley. I will say that Its funny how Sakurai disconfirms as soon as their shown or hinted at, but Ridley is still just a shadow.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's more the movement of the shadow that concerns me. Grabbing Pikachu but still floating in the air?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Guys if you're going to keep discussing Ridley's shadow in such detail, please do not neglect Mother Brain's shadow, shown in the Direct. It is the largest object on the Pyrosphere that has casted such a clear shadow. A lot of information could be gathered just from that. And don't forget the momentary shadow cast by Samus.

You're limiting yourself by focusing primarily on the shadow of an object we've not actually seen.

Another day another disconfirmation that's not Ridley. I will say that Its funny how Sakurai disconfirms as soon as their shown or hinted at, but Ridley is still just a shadow.
Indeed, and of course I'm seeing an awful lot of disbelief. On GameFAQs that is. But once again, the quick and clean kill method of Sakurai is shown. And by "quick" I mean not tip-toeing around the subject.

If Ridley really is out, he'd be the only one to get a slow and agonizing exclusion, and Sakurai would deserve all the rage toward him.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ridley-X isn`t Roidley nor he is Ridley. He is an X-Parasite that took his form with DNA and escaped the room. So, when Samus was fighting him, Roidley`s shattered frozen dried corpse still was in that room.
EDIT: D`oh! I didn`t noticed that it already was said that he isn`t same thing.
But it is his rotten infected corpse.....so, if I'm making Roidley act like a naïve "innocent" fool, a zombie would be way....foolish....and like I said before, Ridley-X is hard to draw....if I keep doing those interactions, maybe I will make Ridley be able to change between his other two forms at times.......and maybe other things, they are fun to make.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
But it is his rotten infected corpse.....so, if I'm making Roidley act like a naïve "innocent" fool, a zombie would be way....foolish....and like I said before, Ridley-X is hard to draw....if I keep doing those interactions, maybe I will make Ridley be able to change between his other two forms at times.......and maybe other things, they are fun to make.
Like a werewolf? But instead of going crazy, he will get an steteotypical english "sir" personality, monocle and a cup of tea...sounds like a good idea to me, but its just me and whatever. And no, his rotten corpse still was on the station even after Ridley X died, so, they are 2 separate creatures.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I honestly didnt know Roidley was not a joke name, utilizing a portmanteau of Ridley's name with steroids, for a particularly buff model

AndreaAC

Like a werewolf? But instead of going crazy, he will get an steteotypical english "sir" personality, monocle and a cup of tea...sounds like a good idea to me, but its just me and whatever. And no, his rotten corpse still was on the station even after Ridley X died, so, they are 2 separate creatures.
Oh ok.....I looked for it....yeah, it is a different being, I was always confused by it......and maybe like that....just at times, when he wants to punish Roidley's incompetence, if he wants to slap him hard in the face and make it way painful....he would at least turn his hand into the metallic ones....or something like that, I'm thinking on what else I could use....

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Sorry, I cleaned it up a bit, hopefully it's easier to read.

No, that height is considering he IS hunched over, meaning he would be even taller if he was standing straight.
This doesn't feel right at all. Are you counting his wings as part of his size? I wanna know the size of his body alone compared to characters.

Maybe this curled up Charizard shadow can help lol.

I also remember people saying Ridley looks like he is coming from the background into the foreground. Thats false the shadows go to the right and a good distance higher not just flat below them. So there characters shadows can touch the background elements just like Ridley's did. This shadow talk is also seen in the Mother Brain shadow.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh ok.....I looked for it....yeah, it is a different being, I was always confused by it......and maybe like that....just at times, when he wants to punish Roidley's incompetence, if he wants to slap him hard in the face and make it way painful....he would at least turn his hand into the metallic ones....or something like that, I'm thinking on what else I could use....
Unfortunately for Ridley, none of his forms has metal hands. And i was talking about Roidley since it was his corpse being mimiced by x-parasite.
I honestly didnt know Roidley was not a joke name, utilizing a portmanteau of Ridley's name with steroids, for a particularly buff model
I thought he was called so because he is "Other" ridley or something. But that sounds better.

And about that analysis by NastCF - there is also something that must be counted other than Ridley`s wings being nearly as big as he is and that he is pretty long. It is the fact that lightning comes not from the top of the stage, but instead from the bottom and that lava flow.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Unfortunately for Ridley, none of his forms has metal hands. And i was talking about Roidley since it was his corpse being mimiced by x-parasite.
That was what I was talking about...the mimicked corpse.....xD I'm thinking what else I could do and use with those interactions...and using Meta and Omega was one.....

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Well heres another one for characters deconfirmed directly and not indirectly

I think Sakurai knew Ridley would be too predictable if he didn't show the shadow in the direct. It would be this long without any sign of him in the stage. Sakurai hates being predicted but I feel alot of us turned the shadow thing around on him even more.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Am I wrong or in this pic is Charizard's shadow as big as Ridley's shadow ?
:colorful:HYPE:colorful:HYPE:colorful:HYPE:colorful:HYPE:colorful:HYPE:colorful:HYPE:colorful:HYPE:colorful:HYPE:colorful:HYPE:colorful:
Well this is the Final Destination Pyrosphere so its a smaller stage but the center heptagon is what you wanna do the comparing too.

I feel Ridley's wings are irrelevant when talking about size honestly. So Ridley with no wings super zoomed on picture with weird angles. Ridley can easily fit in the center heptagon.

Back to this Charizard pic again. Charizards shadow would look large too if zoomed.

So yeah the size difference between the two isn't drastic at all. The camera angles are the key.

(Credit Smashoperatingbuddy123 for the pics)

EDIT: One thing I'd like to add is you can compare the sizes of both stages with the Ridley shadow. FD Pyrosphere doesn't as a whole get smaller they just cut off a piece (The part with the red lines) and bring the background pillars closer.

Last edited:

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
I mean I reviewed again,
And literally all I see is Pickachu runnjng across the stage, and then a shadow,
While it is POSSIBLE there was some sort of pickup, there is no current way to prove it.

Strangely I would think all the Ridley supporters would want to speculate there was no pickup, as Ridley grabbing someone in the (somewhat fabricated) fashion you describe would be more reminiscint of a stage hazard than a playable character.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Strangely I would think all the Ridley supporters would want to speculate there was no pickup, as Ridley grabbing someone in the (somewhat fabricated) fashion you describe would be more reminiscint of a stage hazard than a playable character.
Gotta disagree with you there. That doesn't really favor Ridley one way or another. One of Ridley's staple maneuvers in pretty much every appearance ('cept Metroid, though that's probably 'cause NES limitations) is to grab people and things while flying. This is even more pronounced in Other M, where Ridley snags Samus and drags her along the wall of the Pyrosphere.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
But ask yourself does that really seam like a feasible game mechanic?

I have trouble imagining it.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
But ask yourself does that really seam like a feasible game mechanic?

I have trouble imagining it.
Other characters can do it. I don't know how much more difficult it would be to envision on a playable character.

Bowser's Koopa Klaw can grab people in the air. Ganondorf's Flame Choke can also do that. Kirby/D3's inhale specials can pull people in in the air; Wario's biting special can do the same thing. If they can do it, well, not too much difference there. It's just that it'd show that if Ridley WAS playable, he's got grab options out of a hover/flying special/recovery. And honestly, that fits the character.

On a completely unrelated note, I love that avatar you've got. <3

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Hmmm... I suppose.
So are you saying Ridley would constantly be levitating?
What would you feasibly think Ridley's gimmick would be if playable? Baking cookies he can then eat to regain health?

Edit: And I mean that in the "Peach's float but with more freedom to act," sort of levitating.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Hmmm... I suppose.
I don't think so I'm thinking more something like Peach's hover but lasts longer.

Look at her stomping on Falco and floating around.

http://youtu.be/rgg6qhD3Fok?t=24s

I don't think it would be trigured the same way though. Also in the direct Ridley stayed the same altitude the whole time just like how Peach does. Makes me really think it is something similar.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He will fly alll the time, like he did in Brawl. Unless he does some sort of ground attack.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Hmmm... I suppose.
Nah. Ridley's been shown to fight on the ground lots of times, though more-so in the Prime series, if memory doesn't fail me.

However, I CAN see Ridley being unique in being able to grab airborne/grounded fighters out of his recovery, or some kind of hovering special/ability. Kinda like what OblivionWolf just compared to with Peach.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
He was on the ground in one of the 2D games too.... Was it Fusion?

I guess that's true, he would need a "gimmick." They all do now, don't they?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Actually, Greninja lacks anything mechanically unusual from what we see, so more traditional/hype fighters are probably coming up.

Also, NES Metroid is the only 2D Metroid game I know of with a grounded Ridley, but that was retconned in Zero Mission.

Unless you count the Ridley Robot.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853

I haven't played Fusion in a while, so I can't really confirm that. Most of the sidescroller Metroid games have Ridley fighting airborne. Could see Ridley being the opposite of Little Mac: strong air game complimented by air grabs, crappy ground game.

Unless you count the Ridley Robot.
Mecha Ridley makes me want to cry in Zero Mission. Frustrating final boss.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
for the flying (will be added to my little blog about the shadow)

1 his dash or full walk could be him flying (full walk could also be his crawl but in my opinion its his medium walk)

2 hes just barley on on of the platform so he will appear flying

3 hes holding Pikachu in his foot so flying to keep Pikachu in and how he carrys characters even heavy weight class(ps I think it went he grabbed Pikachu with his hand then press forward + he lifts his feet up and he puts Pikachu in one of his feet)

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
for the flying (will be added to my little blog about the shadow)

1 his dash or full walk could be him flying (full walk could also be his crawl but in my opinion its his medium walk)

2 hes just barley on on of the platform so he will appear

3 hes holding Pikachu in his foot so flying to keep Pikachu in (ps I think it went he grabbed Pikachu with his hand then press forward + he lifts his feet up and he puts Pikachu in one of his feet)
One thing that could help with the grab talk is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CbjXbVipWI

When characters grab character they teleport into a grabbed animation. There is no in between animation so that could be why its hard to see Pikachu getting grabbed cuz he just teleported in Ridley's hand.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
One thing that could help with the grab talk is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CbjXbVipWI

When characters grab character they teleport into a grabbed animation. There is no in between animation so that could be why its hard to see Pikachu getting grabbed cuz he just teleported in Ridley's hand.
Doesn`t that creates a grab effect when succesful or it could easily be removed for that video?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Doesn`t that creates a grab effect when succesful or it could easily be removed for that video?
Well we can't see the characters and I don't think the grab effect has a shadow. :ohwell: Can someone prove me wrong?

Also does the get away grab animation have teleporting too???

Top Bottom