• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Ugh this site... stay up or down. Don't go down while I'm typing. >_<

The detractors and toobigots can definitely be annoying. But I've realized at the very least, they have an argument they're willing to stand for that they chose, however lousy those arguments can be sometimes.

I'm finding more and more however a certain part of the fanbase that I actually consider lower than toobigots: The irrational person that chooses to hate on a character and hope against them because of their view on the fanbase. Of course these kind of folk reside on GameFAQs...

"The Ridley fans irk me the wrong way. I desperately hope Ridley isn't playable and am glad he might be deconfirmed..."

With all the bickering that occurs on BOTH sides, they somehow decide that they want the SUPPORTERS to suffer. And I know these people notice the detractors and toobigots. It's clear they not only let other's views and words control their emotions, but then their defense mechanisms have them preferring to attack the side that seems safest to attack.

If it isn't that directly, they actually claim the supporters are the ones making bad arguments and ignoring the detractors.

They could just choose to be indifferent over the whole thing. It's fine to be frustrated by all the arguing. I'm not saying they shouldn't be fed up with it. But becoming openly bitter and spiteful is not something I will tolerate. And I don't mean "get into an argument" intolerance.

Gimme a detractor, toobigot, Shokio follower any day. We may debate and argue and roll our eyes, but we are thinking for ourselves. But a bitter fool who lets other people's behavior indirectly control their attitude to such a degree that they openly speak and act out of an unmerited sense of vengeance? NOPE. That is just plain scummy.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I remember Sakurai saying in the direct "The Super Smash Brothers series brings the greatest Nintendo characters together in one place there's nothing quite like it"

Ridley is in I believe 8 games in the Metroid series alone. Thats not even counting him being in every Super Smash game, showing up in Dead or Alive, Nintendo Land, comics and so on. Such a super popular character.....He more then qualifies being considered one of the "greatest Nintendo characters of all time". I am very optimistic we will be seeing him at E3. I'm one of the few people that thinks the whole shadow thing helped his chances.
Ridley was in 8 Metroid games counting Pinball and not counting the Trilogy Rerelease. The only games he wasn't in were Metroid 2, Metroid Prime 2 (where he was planned to appear), and Metroid Prime Hunters. So yeah.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
But you don`t have SSB4 either...yet...so, there isn`t much difference and i think brawl and wii costs less than wii u and ssb4 will.
Yeah...i think i will have to wait a little while longer to get a wii u and the game itself....so i will entertain myself with my nearly dying wii and brawl

D

Deleted member

I think it's already time to tell the dark part about my story with Ridley:
I can't tell that I always was a Ridley supporter, because that isn't true, I always thought that he was too big, but then, I started looking at arguments in his favor and I realized how stupid it was to ***** about not adding a certain char, even with this, I wasn't a supporter of his yet because I had never played a Metroid game with him. One day I decided to use an old SNES emulator I had and play Super Metroid, this was the day I realized how Ridley was important to Metroid and Nintendo history itself
My conclusion is, that most of his haters never played a Metroid game with him, and do not realize how important he is, I can ensure that if they played one, it would be just like me. I still don't like to remind how stupid I was at that time...

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I think it's already time to tell the dark part about my story with Ridley:
I can't tell that I always was a Ridley supporter, because that isn't true, I always thought that he was too big, but then, I started looking at arguments in his favor and I realized how stupid it was to ***** about not adding a certain char, even with this, I wasn't a supporter of his yet because I had never played a Metroid game with him. One day I decided to use an old SNES emulator I had and play Super Metroid, this was the day I realized how Ridley was important to Metroid and Nintendo history itself
My conclusion is, that most of his haters never played a Metroid game with him, and do not realize how important he is, I can ensure that if they played one, it would be just like me. I still don't like to remind how stupid I was at that time...
This is the problem with people in modern society. They all love to argue, but none of them know what they are arguing about. They read one thing online and think that it is true and don't bother to go into any further research. Makes me feel bad man.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I think the theorys regarding Ridley's inclusion can be broked down into 5 groups:
-Ridley is a stage hazard
-Ridley is playable
-Ridley is playable as the stage hazard on the pyrosphere
-Ridley is playable and a stage hazard, and an alternate Ridley appears on Pyrosphere when Ridley is used
-Ridley is a stage hazard while a different incarnation of his (Meta Ridley, Omega Ridley) is playable.
Am I missing any?

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Occam's Razor...

I really hope it doesn't apply to this situation, but the possibility is there. These ups and downs suck. Hope goes up, then I further examine Ridley's shadow and consider the way the rest of the game is shaping and begin to feel as if things aren't going to work out in the end. Then I find it difficult to believe Sakurai would be so dense as to believe teasing a non-playable version of him (and doing a lousy job of it frankly) would make the majority of Ridley fans happy, and hope wells up once more. :urg:

Perhaps Sakurai's teasing is for the casual fans who don't think so hard about and analyze every detail. Maybe he thinks it's fine to tease a stage hazard Ridley because those who aren't so invested in the game's development will just be happy to see anything. I dunno...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ugh this site... stay up or down. Don't go down while I'm typing. >_<

The detractors and toobigots can definitely be annoying. But I've realized at the very least, they have an argument they're willing to stand for that they chose, however lousy those arguments can be sometimes.

I'm finding more and more however a certain part of the fanbase that I actually consider lower than toobigots: The irrational person that chooses to hate on a character and hope against them because of their view on the fanbase. Of course these kind of folk reside on GameFAQs...

"The Ridley fans irk me the wrong way. I desperately hope Ridley isn't playable and am glad he might be deconfirmed..."

With all the bickering that occurs on BOTH sides, they somehow decide that they want the SUPPORTERS to suffer. And I know these people notice the detractors and toobigots. It's clear they not only let other's views and words control their emotions, but then their defense mechanisms have them preferring to attack the side that seems safest to attack.

If it isn't that directly, they actually claim the supporters are the ones making bad arguments and ignoring the detractors.

They could just choose to be indifferent over the whole thing. It's fine to be frustrated by all the arguing. I'm not saying they shouldn't be fed up with it. But becoming openly bitter and spiteful is not something I will tolerate. And I don't mean "get into an argument" intolerance.

Gimme a detractor, toobigot, Shokio follower any day. We may debate and argue and roll our eyes, but we are thinking for ourselves. But a bitter fool who lets other people's behavior indirectly control their attitude to such a degree that they openly speak and act out of an unmerited sense of vengeance? NOPE. That is just plain scummy.
This is why the false equivalence this brand of idiot employs is so infuriating. Ridley fans do nothing different from any other character's fans in defending their character and promoting why they'd be a good choice, but they get demonized for daring to not let TooBigots walk all over them. If this double standard ever gets brought up? "I've seen a Ridley fan say XY and Z, that means every last one of them is equally bad as the detractors, so I hope Ridley doesn't get in so they cry." As if most characters don't have the occasional stupid fan here and there.

D

Deleted member

I was re-watching the Direct and noticed something: Ridley wasn't shown during boss/stage-hazard section, he was shown in the "Yellow Devil" section, the AT and Pokeball Pokemon had their own section with their respectives names, which leads me to think that Sakurai wasn't talking about bosses, but instead about YD specifically, if it was the boss section he would have shown Dark Emperor(who is clearly a boss in the Find Mii stage)

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Occam's Razor...

I really hope it doesn't apply to this situation, but the possibility is there. These ups and downs suck. Hope goes up, then I further examine Ridley's shadow and consider the way the rest of the game is shaping and begin to feel as if things aren't going to work out in the end. Then I find it difficult to believe Sakurai would be so dense as to believe teasing a non-playable version of him (and doing a lousy job of it frankly) would make the majority of Ridley fans happy, and hope wells up once more. :urg:

Perhaps Sakurai's teasing is for the casual fans who don't think so hard about and analyze every detail. Maybe he thinks it's fine to tease a stage hazard Ridley because those who aren't so invested in the game's development will just be happy to see anything. I dunno...
But if sakurai is trying to tease a boss hazard to casual gamers, Why would he choose ridley of all possibilities? Sakurai implied that there will be a few more bosses so. Why would he chose one of the most requested characters to tease the casual gamers that probably didn't even watch the direct? Why didn't he used somebody elde to tease them?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
But if sakurai is trying to tease a boss hazard to casual gamers, Why would he choose ridley of all possibilities? Sakurai implied that there will be a few more bosses so. Why would he chose one of the most requested characters to tease the casual gamers that probably didn't even watch the direct? Why didn't he used somebody elde to tease them?
Well, Ridley is the only other one that fit the category that was sort of hinted at when Pyrosphere was first revealed. We have the Dark Emperor who may be a 3DS stage boss, but going from the Wii U version to the 3DS version would be a bit jarring. Not sure if Sakurai would unveil a yet-to-be-hinted character without demonstrating.

...But that leads to one of my other thoughts that Sakurai could have just gone with a still of Ridley on the Pyrosphere and gotten the same message across while closing the book on the subject. Perhaps the model is an improved Other M Ridley that Sakurai just didn't wanna reveal yet. Who knows.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I was re-watching the Direct and noticed something: Ridley wasn't shown during boss/stage-hazard section, he was shown in the "Yellow Devil" section, the AT and Pokeball Pokemon had their own section with their respectives names, which leads me to think that Sakurai wasn't talking about bosses, but instead about YD specifically, if it was the boss section he would have shown Dark Emperor(who is clearly a boss in the Find Mii stage)
There are so many weird loopholes going on here that I don't even know what to say. But yeah, we all know the Ridley situation is weird by now.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Well, Ridley is the only other one that fit the category that was sort of hinted at when Pyrosphere was first revealed. We have the Dark Emperor who may be a 3DS stage boss, but going from the Wii U version to the 3DS version would be a bit jarring. Not sure if Sakurai would unveil a yet-to-be-hinted character without demonstrating.

...But that leads to one of my other thoughts that Sakurai could have just gone with a still of Ridley on the Pyrosphere and gotten the same message across while closing the book on the subject. Perhaps the model is an improved Other M Ridley that Sakurai just didn't wanna reveal yet. Who knows.
He could have easily reveal a new stage and tease a boss there, I highly doubt casual fans see the picture of the day or even watch the direct, it doesn't make sense to me that he would start teasing a boss hazard in a way where few casual gamers would see

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I keep creeping out my coworker by bringing up my GRUDGE toward him for his comments toward Ridley.

I need to doodle Ridley beating him up or something and leave it in places where he'll find it and be like "god damn it."

It will be extra fun when he's moved to ELECTRONICS, and I can bother him about it when Smash is getting promoted.

No body pay attention to me premeditating being really annoying and dumb.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Seen this picture on a different thread. Its Charizards shadow on Pyrosphere.

http://pokebeach.com/news/0414/smash-keldeo.jpg

And here is Ridley/Pikachu shadow again.

http://declantyson.net/assets/uploads/2014-04-10/ridley.jpg

Things to consider...Ridley's shadow is super zoomed in on and Bowser is larger then Charizard.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/super_smash_bros/m/super_smash_bros_media/6743410.aspx

...Ehh we proven this is the smallest Ridley sense NES already but I thought I'd share these anyway.

Last edited:

Zuba Oki

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys considering that ridley is speculated to be good in the air but bad on the ground. What characters do you all think will give the High Commander trouble?

Things to consider...Ridley's shadow is super zoomed in on and Bowser is larger then Charizard.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/super_smash_bros/m/super_smash_bros_media/6743410.aspx

...Ehh we already proven this is the smallest Ridley sense NES already but I thought I'd share these anyway.
Pretty interesting this kinda help get a sense of Ridley's size

Last edited by a moderator:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Alright, listen up guys.
I love Ridley. I want him in Smash Bros, and I have for a while. There is nothing cooler than a freaking purple space pirate dragon.
However, I'm not too fond of the really dedicated fanbase lately. I'm a big fan of Ridley, like I said, and I have a little bit of hope, but quite frankly everyone seems to be in denial about him, pulling for strings and even saying that the Direct HELPS Ridley. Now I'm not saying his chances are dead: I'm actually regaining my faith; but some people have to face the facts a bit more.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Alright, listen up guys.
I love Ridley. I want him in Smash Bros, and I have for a while. There is nothing cooler than a freaking purple space pirate dragon.
However, I'm not too fond of the really dedicated fanbase lately. I'm a big fan of Ridley, like I said, and I have a little bit of hope, but quite frankly everyone seems to be in denial about him, pulling for strings and even saying that the Direct HELPS Ridley. Now I'm not saying his chances are dead: I'm actually regaining my faith; but some people have to face the facts a bit more.

Morbi

Scavenger
Alright, listen up guys.
There are no "facts;" merely your biased perspective. Sakurai alluded to Ridley, a reasonable person could logically interpret these messages as "playable Ridley" or "stage-hazard" Ridley. The Direct changed nothing; his chances are stagnant. The same as they always have been. Nothing is objective, it honestly sounds as though you believe your opinion is more accurate for some reason. I am not sure why you believe you are a respectable authority on Ridley's chances.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
There are no "facts;" merely your biased perspective. Sakurai alluded to Ridley, a reasonable person could logically interpret these messages as "playable Ridley" or "stage-hazard" Ridley. The Direct changed nothing; his chances are stagnant. The same as they always have been. Nothing is objective, it honestly sounds as though you believe your opinion is more accurate for some reason. I am not sure why you believe you are a respectable authority on Ridley's chances.
I'm biased? For thinking that Ridley is a boss because Sakurai hinted at him in the BOSS portion of the Direct?
Okie-doke.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Alright, listen up guys.
Who cares?

At most, you'll only have to deal with such things until the 3DS version comes out (so 3-4 months). If you find that there are those currently in denial, then that would be the point where such denial would cease to exist (or be vindicated, should things pan out that way).

In the meantime, I intend to use this thread as a place to be my sassy self, passing the time until Ridley's role is known in greater detail and/or in full. I invite everyone to sass along with me. 8D

Morbi

Scavenger
Alright, listen up guys.
I underlined the portions of your post that bothered me.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Alright, listen up guys.
opinion aside, it is impossible to confirm hazard or playable.

but, the fact that he actually led more doubt than undeniable facts is so suspicious that yes it opens the POSSIBILITY of him being playable and it's opinion if you think playable or now.

in the end, the situation is like after the potd quote so no the direct didn't help him.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey guys considering that ridley is speculated to be good in the air but bad on the ground. What characters do you all think will give the High Commander trouble?
Well, everyone with fast attacks, long-ranged attacks, "anti-air"/"ground-air"/whatever attacks or good aerial attacks with at least one "spike" hit effect that is easy to connect.
And it looks like direct confirmed only few things - ridley`s model and at least few animations are ready. Nothing else other than that he is in the game.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

...Ehh we proven this is the smallest Ridley sense NES already but I thought I'd share these anyway.
Which one is charizards shadow in the first picture I see a big one and the one by the pillar

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Alright, listen up guys.
Yeah I did say that I think the direct helped him cause we roughly have an idea of how big Ridley is.....I think this tiny Ridley will be playable and not the stage hazard....I won't count out the possability of a playable character sized Ridley stage hazard but I'm not buying it. But thats like my opinion man.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yeah I did say that I think the direct helped him cause we roughly have an idea of how big Ridley is.....I think this tiny Ridley will be playable and not the stage hazard....I won't count out the possability of a playable character sized Ridley stage hazard but I'm not buying it. But thats like my opinion man.
That makes 2 of us reminding my self probably dead but way to suspicious to be deconfirm

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Ironically, I think all the small characters would be a hassle to fight against. I hate fighting :4olimar: as :4bowser:

Alright, listen up guys.
I'm biased? For thinking that Ridley is a boss because Sakurai hinted at him in the BOSS portion of the Direct?
Okie-doke.
I understand where you're coming from, but posts like these are not helping your case. People interpret things as they like, just because they don't line up with your views/logic/reasoning/whatever doesn't mean you can go into the support thread feeling high and mighty and telling people to reevaluate their line of thinking, nor proclaim them as "in denial" over something that hasn't been confirmed as "fact" yet.

It probably is what it seems like. If it is, good for you, you were right all along. If it did in fact "help" Ridley, or if he gets confirmed? Whoop-dee-doo, we get to play as Ridley and this whole thing was a big waste of time. For now we just have to roll with the punches.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's hard not to feel a little down when I think about how Ridley is probably not playable. *Sniffle*

I NEVER MEANT TO BE ARROGANT ABOUT HIS INCLUSION, Y'KNOW. THE DETRACTORS WERE JUST SO DUMB AND RELENTLESS IT WAS HARD NOT TO BE. I REALLY JUST WANTED TO PLAY AS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER LIKE ANYONE ELSE. IS THAT SO WRONG.

*yells at sky which you see is a funny joke because SORA is sky and they are making Smash and yeah*

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ironically, I think all the small characters would be a hassle to fight against. I hate fighting :4olimar: as :4bowser:
Well, it depends on the player then because small characters can be KOed easily. Especially with DDD`s side smash.
Oh, and i forgot to say that really skillful ridley players may have no one who will give them trouble. Even Ganondorf can pull out some awesome KOs if mastered.

Last edited:

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
It's hard not to feel a little down when I think about how Ridley is probably not playable. *Sniffle*

I NEVER MEANT TO BE ARROGANT ABOUT HIS INCLUSION, Y'KNOW. THE DETRACTORS WERE JUST SO DUMB AND RELENTLESS IT WAS HARD NOT TO BE. I REALLY JUST WANTED TO PLAY AS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER LIKE ANYONE ELSE. IS THAT SO WRONG.

*yells at sky which you see is a funny joke because SORA is sky and they are making Smash and yeah*
I feel SORA bad for you.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well, it depends on the player then because small characters can be KOed easily. Especially with DDD`s side smash.
Oh, and i forgot to say that really skillful ridley players may have no one who will give them trouble. Even Ganondorf can pull out some awesome KOs if mastered.
I'm not doubting any of that, I was pointing out that all the strengths in the world won't (or usually don't) overshadow all of a character's (heavyweights/large hurtbox characters especially) shortcomings. Olimar in Brawl wrecked numerous match-ups if he could get and keep them in the air/above him, which was offset by he himself having poor recovery. From what we've seen that's been rectified, so it won't be as simple as "get him off the stage/knock him out quickly" which I feel Ridley's playstyle would call for. It also helps that there's fewer Pikmin, they seem to be more fragile, etc..

Another thing I see being problematic is Pikachu's new Thunder spike. I said it before that the cutscene in the SSE foreshadowed this change, and possibly match-up.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Another thing I see being problematic is Pikachu's new Thunder spike. I said it before that the cutscene in the SSE foreshadowed this change, and possibly match-up.
So, it will be possible to recreate dat scene with Samus, Ridls and Pikachu? I hope that Ridley will be superiour autobots inferiour in their match-up. If not in SSB4, then at least in Project M...hopefuly...

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon

One thing you didn't consider: The first picture is Pyrosphere-FD, and it's smaller than actual Pyrosphere.

Top Bottom