• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Damn it.....why i'm still so worried about the design..... :/ i do not want end up hating it....

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Damn it.....why i'm still so worried about the design..... :/ i do not want end up hating it....
Sakurai is adding costumes like Wii Fit Male and Wireframe Mac so I don't think a Super Metroid costume is outlandish.

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
Sakurai is adding costumes like Wii Fit Male and Wireframe Mac so I don't think a Super Metroid costume is outlandish.
If Wario gets costumes for being equally famous for multiple appearances, it's really not that much of a stretch to give Ridley alternate costumes for a similar reason.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
If Wario gets costumes for being equally famous for multiple appearances, it's really not that much of a stretch to give Ridley alternate costumes for a similar reason.
Also lets be real nobody asked for or wanted Wii Fit Male and Wireframe Mac costumes. xD Sakurai wouldn't add a bunch of oddball costumes and not give Ridley one that alot of people would love.....Right Sakurai? SAKURAI!!!!?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I would think Meta Ridley is second in line for "most famous/notable" appearance. It was in Brawl, after all.

Sadly I doubt Sakurai even acknowledges the schism between regular and Other Ridley between Metroid fans.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I suspect if Ridley were in Smash, he'd probably have a somewhat different design to Metroid games.
Something like in the Melee intro; or an updated version of his original NES design. Something iconic.

AndreaAC

Super Metroid Ridley of course - SM was on of if not THE best metroid game ever. And he was there. And he died there.
:) well i never was able to play any of the 2D titles (later i tried...but, i got lost xD) but, SM was the game where i saw Ridley for the first time....i will never forget that day

majora_787

Smash Hero
Prime meanwhile was the best game with the best Ridley. AND he didn't even die there. He ended up coming back TWICE in the next game he appeared in, and again later in Super Metroid.

But really though if we get Ridley in Smash it's going to be Other M Ridley. I mean they're obviously going in the Other M-based direction. Though Ridley could well be a hybrid of the two.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Was watching these cause its been awhile sense I played the games and to see if I can pick anything out from the shadow clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJW1KcaD80k

If Ridley is playable he has his classic grab you and do nothing with you move while flying around from Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission. We all know how Sakurai loves adding classic moves to the playable characters in Smash Bros. If Ridley is a boss why give this new Ridley such an old school move??? I also found it very interesting in the shadow clip that Ridley didn't gain altitude while holding Pikachu....Most likely for balance (Assuming if playable). Makes me think its an extended Peach like hover.

My playable Ridley confidence is growing....

D

Deleted member

So, my internet went down days ago, but now it's back! How are things going with the Ridley speculation?
Btw, what "ITT" stands for in the thread's name?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Basically things are looking better for Ridley being playable, but the moral of the story is "wait until E3 and hopefully we get something solid."

AndreaAC

Untitled4.png

Really....if the "hybrid" looks more like Roidley than Ridley...i will explode in rage....

majora_787

Smash Hero
View attachment 12610

Really....if the "hybrid" looks more like Roidley than Ridley...i will explode in rage....
Even though it's easily expectable, entirely understandable, and ultimately unsurprising? :p

I mean Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and the Pyrosphere are obviously mostly based off Other M. It would be really bizarre if they used a totally unrelated Ridley.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Even though it's easily expectable, entirely understandable, and ultimately unsurprising? :p

I mean Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and the Pyrosphere are obviously mostly based off Other M. It would be really bizarre if they used a totally unrelated Ridley.
Zero Suit is from Fusion tho, not Other M :p

So it is VERY likely Ridley will have the Super Metroid version.

AndreaAC

Yeah....but, why they can't just put something like Roidley's disgusting textures? i just can't stand Roidley....and waiting years to play as the Original Ridley to end playing as a f***ing duck on steroids?....i don't know what im going to do....

Last edited:

_fiercedeity

Smash Apprentice
Yeah....but, why they can't just put something like Roidley's disgusting textures? i just can't stand Roidley....and waiting years to play as the Original Ridley to end playing as a f***ing duck on steroids?....i don't know what im going to do....
Maybe super metroid design with roidley's color scheme? Kinda like how Link is based off of TP but with his Skyward Sword colors.

I can't be the only one who liked roidley's color scheme...

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Maybe super metroid design with roidley's color scheme? Kind like how Link is based off of TP but with his Skyward Sword colors.

I can't be the only one who liked roidley's color scheme...
If it looks like Ridley....im fine with it...even if it has Roidley's colors (i do not like them....but i could get used to them or just change the color...), just please...PLEASE....that it does not have Roidley's face and body......

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Eh, I'd be happy with having Ridley(somehow)being playable in Smash. I can't say I would fret too much on a particular design. But getting rid of the Duck beak that the Other M design had would be a plus in my book. Other than that, I can take or leave any other design myself.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
A possible solution to that is that this game might be the very last game in the series. :/

I mean, it IS a possibility.
Last one by Sakurai you mean. Smash is too profitable as a series to cease just because he stops.

One move Other M Ridley does that I know I'm gonna love using in Smash is when he flys above you and stabs his tail down. Thats gonna be his obvious down air.

Oh I found a neat fanart of Other M Ridley but skinner. Going by those shadows this could be what our playable Ridley will look something like.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7144/ridleybydabyhedgehog.png
Hovering above you while stabbing his tail downward was something he did in Super Metroid and the like too, not just Other M. One thing that's unique to Other M Ridley that I know I would love using though is being able to harden & darken his skin, making him immune to certain projectiles for a limited time, or that ability acts as a kind of reflector, although probably not a spammable one like what the space animal trio has.

I would think Meta Ridley is second in line for "most famous/notable" appearance. It was in Brawl, after all.

Sadly I doubt Sakurai even acknowledges the schism between regular and Other Ridley between Metroid fans.
Yeah... :\ Wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get Meta-Ridley though despite him being in Brawl. Other M just seems to be the excuse for Sakurai to further ignore/leave out western-made material of the series, barring throwing in Dark Samus as an assist trophy I guess which I could see being literally the only bone he tosses to the Prime fans this time around.

Just my usual pessimism; don't mind me.

Zero Suit is from Fusion tho, not Other M :p

So it is VERY likely Ridley will have the Super Metroid version.
I don't think the zero suit made an appearance in Fusion.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Last one by Sakurai you mean. Smash is too profitable as a series to cease just because he stops.

Hovering above you while stabbing his tail downward was something he did in Super Metroid and the like too, not just Other M. One thing that's unique to Other M Ridley that I know I would love using though is being able to harden & darken his skin, making him immune to certain projectiles for a limited time, or that ability acts as a kind of reflector, although probably not a spammable one like what the space animal trio has.

Yeah... :\ Wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get Meta-Ridley though despite him being in Brawl. Other M just seems to be the excuse for Sakurai to further ignore/leave out western-made material of the series, barring throwing in Dark Samus as an assist trophy I guess which I could see being literally the only bone he tosses to the Prime fans this time around.

Just my usual pessimism; don't mind me.

I don't think the zero suit made an appearance in Fusion.
Oh yes I'm aware he does it in other games what I ment to say is I just love the way Other M Ridley does it better. Feels so much more voilent and less like a pogo stick.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That really is such a cool ability... hardening and darkening his skin... Ridley's had haki this whole time.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
No it's his willpower/ambition/conviction depending on which translation you prefer.

Like just imagine Samus fires a Super Missile at him, and he just hardens his skin on his hand and smacks it out of the air.

"Naw man. Ain't gonna work."

I mean the cool part is everything, but being able to selectively harden different parts of his body as per the situation requires, EXTRA COOL. Probably more energy efficient too huh?

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Oh yes I'm aware he does it in other games what I ment to say is I just love the way Other M Ridley does it better. Feels so much more voilent and less like a pogo stick.
This is true.

Also, Zamus is obviously not based on Fusion, because Zamus isn't naked. And as far as I know, that would be the only way to design an outfit based off its appearance in a game where it didn't appear. Whether it's for better or worse, it does good things for the age rating at least.

And even if Zero Suit Samus WAS naked to be based off Fusion's lack of a zero suit, that doesn't exactly confirm Super Metroid Ridley. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Watch him being confirmed at E3 and Shokio will make a "petition" to remove him
Btw, going to request this here for one of our drawers(AndreaAC I suppose[I have no idea how to tag names]) to draw Shokio marring Ridley, I mean, the two makes the cutest couple, Ridley wants to lose weight but Shokio says he would look ********

majora_787

Smash Hero
I dunno. I like Other Ridley's skin hardening and tail. Sure his texture work was bad, but I am pretty sure just about everything in Other M would have looked better with nicer texture work and better modeling. Also, dat tail stab.

EDIT: You mean Shokio isn't already petitioning to remove him? :p

Also yes. When Ridley is confirmed, we need to begin mass producing Shokio x Ridley artwork.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
We don't use the B-word in here.

Also, I think this would basically count as Fusion's Zero Suit Samus? You can literally read "Zero Suit" as "Samus without her Power Suit."

Last edited:
Top Bottom