• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not a great game by any means. Even if you ignore the absolutely idiotic story, it's still riddled with flaws.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The idiotic detective parts, where you have to find things on the screen.

The idiotic way you gain upgrades such as the varia suit and weapons.

Mediocre gameplay aspects such as the fact you have to stand still to do 1 person view

The more or less linear way the levels are designed

Randomly places retro bosses for no reason. Phantoon as final boss.

Haha...riddled.
I used the word correctly

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know...I just was alluding to you saying riddled in a thread about Ridley.

...I'll be here all night folks.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Why not just get Super on the Wii's VC instead of waiting for it on the Wii U? A SNES cartridge of the game is pretty damn expensive nowadays from what I hear. And despite what you've heard about Other M, it is one of the better games in terms of learning the most of Ridley's abilities or whatnot, but if you don't think it's your cup of tea from what you've seen of it, then I guess it would be worth a skip.
I completely forgot about the Wii's VC :urg:

I don't know about Super Metroid SNES cartridge price but it doesn't really matter now since I just buy it today to an old friend from school for 20 euros (26 dollars) with Donkey Kong Country 2 in Bonus, I nearly feel bad about it, nearly ^^

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
I would be overjoyed to see Ridley in the game. Long has Samus been wanting for a fellow Metroid representative, and a big but lightweight flier would be very interesting gameplay-wise.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I think the reverse: the face ain't bad, but he's too muscular for my tastes.
I think that design will work better though in smash bros where he should actually have some meat on his bones, as opposed to being practically an exoskeleton in all his other designs. It also makes him look as powerful as he actually is, him dragging his opponent across the ground is a must for him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah and that looks awkward with his normally skinnier frame. I think it's a good thing for him not to be skinny if they are gonna make him a heavy weight fighter. But both are a posibility.

:phone:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I would be overjoyed to see Ridley in the game. Long has Samus been wanting for a fellow Metroid representative, and a big but lightweight flier would be very interesting gameplay-wise.

Glad to see a new face, and a new supporter, welcome to smashboards! enjoy your stay.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Welcome to the club!

Here's to purple space dragons!

D

Deleted member

I read that as "big butt lightweight".

I laugh at my immaturity. :laugh:

EDIT: Year hear that, guys? Ridley really IS too big! He's got too much junk in the trunk! :troll:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Junk size is a terrible talking point for character inclusion. If Snake's junk can get resized down for Smash, so can Ridley's.

D

Deleted member

Err..."junk in the trunk" has nothing to do with the singular use of "junk".
The former talks about *** size. The latter...is talking about PINGAS.

D

Deleted member

I'm arguing that I wasn't talking Ridley's junk size. That thing's so small, it makes him feel inadequate.
So he became leader of the Space Pirates to compensate.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

The ironic thing is that this is a realistic depiction of what all the Ridley naysayers do for a living.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What if Ridley was much bigger than other characters?

Kind of like this.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
What about an anthropomorphic Andross?

Even though Ridley is close but not yet battle-ready as is, we seem to be willing to make him work as a community. Andross is my proposal for the purists out there who don't want too many more third party characters. It would bump up the weirdly lopsided antagonist:hero ratio without having to be another clone character.

• Andross already has multiple erratically different forms that are pre-agreed upon as canon
  • He is the most iconic (other than Wolf), yet he has been lurking in the trophy cases for too long
  • He would add variety (too many swordsmen, too many animeesque looking heroes)

P.S. I'm still pretty new so please don't flame me for not making a thread. Otherwise I'll just get flamed for causing forum clutter.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Less than four months until Ridley could very well be confirmed for Smash 4.

If we get 4-5 newcomers for the Smash 4 unveil, I feel very good that Ridley will be among them.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
At this point, I'm almost as excited to watch everyone who labeled Ridley "too big" backpedal after his reveal as I am for his actual reveal.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
He won't be revealed @ E3, such an announcement is too big.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
What about an anthropomorphic Andross?

Even though Ridley is close but not yet battle-ready as is, we seem to be willing to make him work as a community. Andross is my proposal for the purists out there who don't want too many more third party characters. It would bump up the weirdly lopsided antagonist:hero ratio without having to be another clone character.

• Andross already has multiple erratically different forms that are pre-agreed upon as canon
  • He is the most iconic (other than Wolf), yet he has been lurking in the trophy cases for too long
  • He would add variety (too many swordsmen, too many animeesque looking heroes)
P.S. I'm still pretty new so please don't flame me for not making a thread. Otherwise I'll just get flamed for causing forum clutter.
I agree completely with you. I made an Andross thread when everyone was speculating back when for Brawl. Go take a peak if it is still around if you want. Had a moveset in there.

I would recommend starting your own Andross thread for SSB4 speculation. You should do it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If it wasn't for that interview where Sakurai was asked about Ridley, and he laughed him off I don't think Ridley would have ever gotten into smash, but NOW that he realizes how many people want him, it's pretty much a garuntee he'll be in Smash. He's one of the few "generally liked/wanted" characters to consistently for the past few years stays at the top of my polls.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If it wasn't for that interview where Sakurai was asked about Ridley, and he laughed him off I don't think Ridley would have ever gotten into smash, but NOW that he realizes how many people want him, it's pretty much a garuntee he'll be in Smash. He's one of the few "generally liked/wanted" characters to consistently for the past few years stays at the top of my polls.
What are the others out of curiosity? K.Rool, Megaman and Mewtwo?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What are the others out of curiosity? K.Rool, Megaman and Mewtwo?
I would say the big contenders are K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Shulk, and Little Mac. Dixie Kong, Megaman, Miis, and Palutena are less likely to me, but still pretty high up there. Megaman mostly is just a big gamble. Who knows if he's even a contender.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
As far as likeliness goes:

Palutena > Mii > Megaman

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wrote this essay on a different website a while back. I've posted bits of it before, but I thought I might as well post the whole thing. When I wrote this, I was not trying to tell people about how awesome Ridley was, but to educate on who he was. I tried to remain neutral as possible Hope you folks enjoy it.

Swampasaur said:

Welcome to my series of potential character essays. Ever hear a character suggestion for SSB4 and think "Who the heck is this guy?" These essays are for you. These essays will go over the history of the character, the abilities of the character, arguments for and against the character and finally a potential move set. I hope to introduce people to likely newcomers for SSB4 and to help people learn a bit more about characters they already know. So let's get into the fray! Feel free to comment or even suggest characters, if you like. I'm open to suggestions as long as I have time to write.

Essay 1:

Name: Ridley

Series: Metroid
First Appearance: Metroid (1986)

Character Biography:
Ridley is the second in command of the space pirates, only behind Mother Brain. After he brutally murdered Samus' parents in front of her, she grew a deep hatred for this space pirate. After Samus had become a famous bounty hunter, she was assigned to stop the space pirates operation on Planet Zebes. This is where Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission takes place. Samus travels into Norfair and defeats Ridley for the first time. However after the space pirate's defeat at planet Zebes, the survivors resurrected Ridley on the Frigate Orpheon,
Yes. This one!
The reborn Ridley is deemed Meta-Ridley and is given a dark and edgy color scheme.
So badass!
The events of Metroid Prime takes place at this point. Samus discovers Ridley in the Frigate but Ridley escapes and flies off to Tallon IV. He tries to stop Samus from entering the Crater beneath a chozo temple but fails once chozo ghosts arrive to help Samus.

Meta-Ridey appears again in Metroid Prime 3 where he assisted the space pirates in attacking Norion. He hinders Samus' progress and pushes her down a large shaft. He fights Samus while she falls in the shaft (Lord of the Rings style). Unfortunately he is brutally beaten again.
Not his greatest moment.
He is then infected with Phazon and transformed into Omega Ridley. Omega Ridley protected the Phazon seed on the space pirate homeworld.
Even more badass!

After the Prime series, he is returned to his original form. He appers yet again in Super Metroid where he steals the last metroid in the beginning of the game and loses to Samus yet again in Norfair.

After Super Metroid, Ridley was presumed to be finally dead. In Metroid: Other M, Samus encounters this strange creature in the Bottle Ship.
Aint he cute? His name is Little Birdy!
This creature eventually grows into a new Ridley. Turns out the galactic federation had accidentally cloned Ridley when cloning Metroids. He is almost defeated by Samus, but at the last minute he escapes. While licking his wounds. He is sucked dry by a newly cloned Metroid queen.

Ridley's dead husk appears one final time in Metroid Fusion. Normally this wouldn't be worth noting, but one special organism found Ridley's body.
The most terrifying parasite ever! THE X!!!

X parasites have the unique ability to copy the hosts genetic code. Once the host dies, the X can take the host's form and do anything the host could do. X parasites quickly infect the husk of the once great Space Pirate General and copy his form. Samus then fights her adversary one final time.

Game Appearances:
Metroid (Boss)
Super Metroid (Boss)
Super Smash Bros (Cameo) (in the background of Planet Zebes)
Super Smash Bros Melee (Cameo) (Opening and Trophy)
Metroid Prime (Boss)
Metroid Fusion (Boss)
Metroid Prime Pinball (Boss)
Metroid Zero Mission (Boss)
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (VERY small cameo) (Appeared on a boxart of a game)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Boss)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (Boss) (Trophy)
Metroid: Other M (Boss)
Dead or Alive: Dimensions (Stage Hazard) (Not kidding! Look it up! XD)
Nintendo Land (Boss) (Figurine)
Ridley has never been playable as of yet.

Abilities:
Ridley has shown a multitude of powers. He has sharp claws and teeth to use for hand to hand combat, as well as a long tail which he frequently uses. He uses his tail to trip opponents and sometimes to impale them with a large spike at the end.

Having large wings, Ridley is capable of flight. He is very fast at it and is a powerful flier. He can even fly through space and a planet's atmosphere. (Metroid Prime) He can also run at high speed on all fours and can even walk on two legs if need be.
Running at high speeds!

Ridley can breathe various forms of fire. He as been shown shooting out fireballs and the occasional streams of fire. In the Prime games he also fired beams of fire from his mouth.
Retro Ridley shows off his fire capabilities.

Ridley is one tough creature to kill. He's famous for his ability to always come back no matter how badly he's defeated. He's even earned the title "Cunning God of Death" in official artwork. So far, Ridley has been cloned three times and cybernetically resurrected and enhanced twice. He always comes back. He even had a robot dopulganger built to make sure his legacy never died.
Mecha-Ridley! Not to be confused with Meta- Ridley.

Debate:

Why Ridley Should Be In:

1. He's the main antagonist of a popular franchise: No explanation really necessary.
None whatsoever!

2. Metroid needs more representation: Metroid is one of Nintendo's moneymakers. Super Smash Bros only has two Metroid characters and they are both Samus. This needs to change. And Ridley is the most likely and wanted choice.

3.He immensely popular character(in the west): Ridley is a VERY common character that appears in want lists all the time. He is so popular in the west that the Japanese fanbase knows how much the west wants him in. That says a lot. Sonic got in because of Western demand. Why can't Ridley?

Reasons Why Ridley Should Not Be In:

1. He's too big.: Ridley is a big creature. He's just too big to make a character. They can't shrink him down without looking unnatural. Some may argue that he was the right size in the Melee opening.
Yay! I'm small!
But that was a LONG time ago and Ridley hasn't been that small since.

2. He's more of boss material: Look at him! He's huge, ferocious and mean. And he was already a boss in Brawl. The developers already agree.

3. Ridley is not popular in Japan: Metroid is not very popular in Japan. It's main fanbase is in the west. Japan is Nintendo's main crowd. They focus on their wants. The west is a second priority.
But...But... I was in a manga!
Everything gets a manga/anime in Japan.

Possible Moveset:
Disclaimer! This moveset is an example and will need changing in the future. Please suggest improvements :D
Neutral B: Ridley shoots a fireball from his mouth. The fireball will travel slowly but has great range. It will travel horizontally and does not fall like Mario's fireball.

Side B: Ridley lunges for the opponents and attempts to grab him. If grabbed Ridley will fly forward carrying the opponent. If performed on the ground, Ridley will drag the opponent on the ground, damaging the opponent. If performed in the air, no damage will be dealt. At the end of the throw Ridley will toss the opponent forward.

Up B: Ridley will draw in his arms and legs and spin around. Looking like a drill he will spin in one direction. Once the initial attack is over Ridley will start to glide.

Down B: Ridley will flap his wings creating gusts of wind. The gusts will push opponents back, but will cause no damage. The move can be charged for greater power. (Suggested by BlueLore)

Final Smash: Ridley transforms into Meta Ridley and will grow in size. This is a transformation final smash akin to Giga Bowser and Wario Man. While in this form, Ridley will be much faster with more power. His neutral B also transforms his fireballs into a beam of flame. The beam would have high knockback but not a lot of damage. His Down B will become a barrage of misses in this form. Each missile will do little damage but a large amount of knockback.

Images made by Pwnagemaster67

Codec Call:
Otacon: "Snake! Be careful! That guy is dangerous!"
Snake: "You mean this dragon thing. He looks like he hasn't gotten a meal in ages."
Otacan: "He may look skinny but that thing fights with the ferocity of a demon! That's Ridley! Leader of the space pirates. He's the one responsible for the death of Samus' parents when she was a little girl."
Snake: "But Samus got her revenge right?"
Otacon: "Yes, but Ridley always finds some way to come back and hurt her. I don't think their rivalry will ever end."
Snake: "...Reminds me of someone I know..."

Like a boss!

I hope you enjoyed this essay. I hope I can write another one soon. Please say what you think. Are there more reasons why Ridley should or should not be in? Did you learn something about him? Did you come up with a great moveset? Did you enjoy the essay? Comment away!

In the future, when I have more written, each essay will be titled and in a spoiler box for your convenience. :D And remember, the intent is to educate. Not to persuade.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Nice write up. The Side B you mentioned simply must be a move, him dragging Samus around on walls and **** is so damn cool.

Also Paint Ridley is the best Ridley.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nice write up. The Side B you mentioned simply must be a move, him dragging Samus around on walls and **** is so damn cool.

Also Paint Ridley is the best Ridley.
Paint Ridley for SSB4! And thank you.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Think I may have come across that when I lurked on a different site at one point, but yeah. 'tis was a good read still.

What is that under manga Ridley's chin? Regardless, he should always have it. :laugh:

At this point, I'm almost as excited to watch everyone who labeled Ridley "too big" backpedal after his reveal as I am for his actual reveal.
That's how I've felt since... forever. Same with seeing the K. Rool naysayers backpedal.

grizby2

Smash Lord
im indifferent towards ridley. im not confident he'll make the cut, but if he does, i'd just HAVE to know how they did it. he would sure as hell be an interesting character. plenty of pizazz coming from ridley. i just hope the reasons why he does or doesn't make it in are truley justified.

Top Bottom